First predistressed AB-Dlx. arrived. Pic inside.

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Marc
Vendor

First predistressed AB-Dlx. arrived. Pic inside.

Post by Marc »

Dear Sirs and Madams,

after several months of trial and error, I have finally found a way to predistress the felt WITHOUT damaging it (remember I'm a follower of the Michaelson U)!

Since my PC is still packed away in movement boxes, I can't post pictures of the results, but I finished a predistressed SOC Fedora this weekend and will ask the owner to make a few pics to show, once he receives it.

What I've found, is a way to make the hat lighter in some areas - as it would be if you'd use bleach on it, but with the advance that it can be removed again from both Steve and I, if the wish should occur. In opposite to other distressing techniques like f.e. Fuller's earth, these lighter areas will remain permanent (at least you can't brush it off) and also it won't hurt the felt in any way (otherwise I would refuse to do so).

With that said, I feel like Adventurebilt has made another step forward towards a more screen accurate replica and also to fullfill the needs of those, who prefer a worn look over a new look - but didn't want to spoil their investments.

Now, if one of you graphic geniuses could make a template for me, so I now exactly which areas to lighten up and which not to touch, I would highly appreciate this. This would give me the opportunity to take this brand new technique on step higher from the get go.

Regarding the pricing, I really haven't thought about it yet and I may just bite the bullet and offer this for free, depending on how many want this to be done on their hats. With time and experience, I might be able to do it in less than a couple of hours on future hats (if desired, of course).

Regards,

Marc
Last edited by Marc on Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
The real Henry
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by The real Henry »

Sounds great Marc! I can't wait to see the pics!
Are you going also going to this on other hats if anyone wants it?
Marc
Vendor

Post by Marc »

I can't speak for Steve, but due to the time envolved in doing this, I'd say that this is an AB exclusive, as the hat needs to be blocked in order to do this right.

Regards,

Marc
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

That's all interesting buddy. I suppose the procedure is secret so I won't ask too much. I can't wait to see pictures... sounds VEEEEERY interesting! If it will be a free choice for new buyers that would be even more interesting :lol:
tell me if you need any help with pictures when you will unpack the pc. :wink:
Regards

PS are you going to offer also a pre-sat-on hat? :lol:
Last edited by Erri on Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Re: Adventurebilt proudly presents: a new way of predistress

Post by Michaelson »

Marc wrote:after several months of trial and error, I have finally found a way to predistress the felt WITHOUT damaging it (remember I'm a follower of the Michaelson U)!

Regards,

Marc
One of my more successful graduates too! BRAVO!!!! :clap: :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

What's the Michaelson U sorry? :lol:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

It's an old joke, erri. I've been the most outspoken practioneer of 'non-distress/NATURAL USE distressing' around the hobby. I have always said just allow your gear to mature naturally and gain personality from use, rather than taking dirt, knives, blowtorches, or what ever unit of destruction one cares to try to artifically age gear. I've never understood why someone would pay hundreds of dollars for an item of gear they've wanted all their lives, only to rub it down with chemicals or use a belt sander on. Folks have stated I was the 'Dean of Michaelson University'....The school that taught that patience was a virtue when it came to distressing.

So, that's what Marc was referring to. Old joke, but one I actually preach and practice. WHy do you think I push Pecards leather products so much? :lol: :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
Marc
Vendor

Post by Marc »

What's the Michaelson U sorry?
Not to hurt you gear artifically, by for example kicking you hat through the dirt (also called "Dandalizing" - after it's inventor Dan), or distressing you leather jacket with sandpaper.

The followers of the socalled Michaelson U respect their gear as an investment that has to be taken care of and leave the distressing to time and natural wear and tear (hence natural distressing).
PS are you going to offer also a pre-sat-on hat?
No! :wink:

Regards,

Marc
Marc
Vendor

Post by Marc »

Yeah right! Why not just let the man answer for himself :wink: Great minds think alike old friend. Just seems like yours is thinking faster :lol:

Regards,

Marc
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

:lol: well you might have noticed that I attend the same "school" of Michaelson :lol:

I think it's the only main thing splitting this forum in two categories :P
Marc
Vendor

Post by Marc »

I think it's the only main thing splitting this forum in two categories
Oh yeah??? - Well, I'll bet a grey hat, that you're wrong on that one :lol:

Regards,

Marc
J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

;0

Sorry Marc, I just love to use this emotion. :wink:

All jokes aside, it sounds like you have taken AB to the next level! I can't wait so see pcs! :D
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

Marc wrote:
I think it's the only main thing splitting this forum in two categories
Oh yeah??? - Well, I'll bet a grey hat, that you're wrong on that one :lol:

Regards,

Marc
:rolling: :rolling: :rolling: good one but if you loose and I demonstrate you why... you owe me a AB Deluxe grey free :P
Marc
Vendor

Post by Marc »

Here it is:

Oh, and the flying V is only folded, not pinched (of course) :wink:

Let me know what you think please and if someone would be so kind and make a "distressing template", that would be nice.

Regards,

Marc
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

:tup: :tup: :tup:

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
Last Crusader
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Last Crusader »

WOW! The predistressing looks really authentic. Well done! Can you also simulate the sweat stains behind the ribbon with this method?
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Pretty.. preeettyyyy precioussssss......
Marc
Vendor

Post by Marc »

Can you also simulate the sweat stains behind the ribbon with this method?
No. But I could do that with yet another technique... Boy this is getting out of hand before it even started. I can see the lists of distressing specs. comming my way already :lol:

Regards,

Marc
JEEP
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by JEEP »

It looks very nice and accurate.

Your are saying that it can be removed without a trace?

/Jakob
Marc
Vendor

Post by Marc »

...in case it will be reblocked by either Steve or me, yes.

Steve is the only person I told about this teknique and he swore upon some terrible things, that he'll keep it for himself, so this will remain something that you can only get from Adventurebilt (which I'm pretty darn proud of to be honest).

Regards,

Marc
ShanghaiJack
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by ShanghaiJack »

Excellent job Marc! Man, you've really got me burning with curiosity to know how you achieved such excellent results. I guess I'm going to be in the market for another AB. Time to start counting my loose change.
inexpensive_jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by inexpensive_jones »

Very, very nice job on the hat. It looks like it came right off of H. Ford's head. It makes me want to distress mine, but since I can't find out your technique I guess I'll have to get out the orbital sander. Maybe shooting sawdust at it through a blowdryer would work...hmmm.
Marc
Vendor

Post by Marc »

What are you trying to do...make me order one?
If you want one, I'd gladly make one for you Ken, but what I'm trying is to make the absolutely best Raiders Fedora possible and thereby making Steve proud. I owe that to him, for putting his trust in me before he ever saw a single of my hats.

Regards,

Marc
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

If you want to hear my suggestions for the distressing method just send me an email :wink:

:D
Marc
Vendor

Post by Marc »

you're doing a great job at making us all proud of you as well
I HIGHLY appreciate what you said here Ken!

Thank you,

Marc
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

erri_wan wrote:If you want to hear my suggestions for the distressing method just send me an email
What's wrong with posting it here?
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

...or better yet, in the gear distressing/case section where folks would see it.

Regards! Michaelson
J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

It looks great Marc. Exellent job! :D
Ace
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Ace »

:shock: WoW, that is a great look Marc, I like. And it's great that it can come off again without damaging your nice hat.

Best regards
Ace
Indiana Blooze
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Blooze »

JEEP asked:
Your are saying that it can be removed without a trace?
Yes it can be. Marc asked me if I wanted the distressing and I jumped on it and said yes. After remembering my philosophy on gear, (I wanna make it look used by using it), I asked Marc to remove the distressing, which he most graciously did. When My AB Deluxe arrived, it was the most beautiful and rich coffee, chocolate, insert adjective here, brown I have ever seen. There was no hint of any of the predistressing anywhere. Marc is a true artist. Sorry I don't have any pics, but my laptop is WIA. Hopefully it can be saved, and I can post more pics.
BY the way Marc, it fits perfect, good call on the size. :tup:
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Great hat Marc!! We use different felt,as most know. Now, the funny thing about this is this. I spend lots of time getting this distressed look out of my hats, before I send them out. You on the other hand, would have to spend time on putting this in yours!! :lol: So, if any of my customers want this look, just tell me. It will save me mucho time in the finishing. I just about fell out of my chair when I saw this thread!!! Different felt requires different finishing techniques. I could have been doing this all along but feared the hat would be sent back because, it looked used!!! :lol: Now, if I used the portugal felt, I would have to add time to get this look. Funny how this works out. Regards, Fedora
Antone
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Antone »

Wow, Mark, that's gotta be the most beautiful kind of ugly I've seen this year!

Antone
slowdevil
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

sweet

Post by slowdevil »

The hat looks great like that! That effect definitely makes it instantly identifiable. Judging by Fedora's response, maybe the hat looks like that naturally before being finished by the hatmaker? At any rate, maybe that look will leave no shadow of doubt that it's not a cowboy hat!
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Judging by Fedora's response, maybe the hat looks like that naturally before being finished by the hatmaker?

Not exactly, but close. No, felt from the Portugal comes pre-pounced, from the factory. Marc, takes this and pounces it even more, for even a finer finish. My felt comes raw, unpounced. I have to start from zero with the pouncing. There is a stage that I get the hat to, where it looks like a distressed hat, and then, through the black magic of hatter techniques, I clean that up, so the hat looks brand new. Marc never arrives at this state, and has to use a technique to make his hats look distressed. When he saw the effect, his first thought is, wow, a distressed hat!!!! Mine was, good lord, what have I done?!!!! And what can I do to get rid of it??? :lol: It never occurred to me folks might actually want the hat to have this effect, and I had nighmares of folks calling me saying, "you sent me a used hat!!! But, I can see how some folks might want it to look that way. I was asked a few times to dirty the hat up, and just had to say, please, dirty it up yourself. :lol: I just can't spend a day on making a hat, and then throw it in the dirt!!! :lol: Nothing wrong with someone doing that to their own hat, but almost impossible for me to do so, especially with someone elses hat. Of course, this hat that Marc just made is not soiled up, and what he does to arrive at this is harmless to the felt. And, he could make it new looking in just a few minutes, or a slight rain shower would make it look new again. It is a temporary distressing, I think, good until you get the hat wet. Fedora
G-MANN
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by G-MANN »

Hey Marc,

I got here a little late.

I knew this hat was in progress and I knew it would look great but it has even exceeded my expectations. Although that does not suprise me in the least bit.

I know how much effort you put into each one of your masterpieces. I think a little bit of your soul goes into every single one.

Best Wishes Buddy,
John

Homer says Image"I give it" ImageImageImageImage
Marc
Vendor

Post by Marc »

:lol: No, he didn't... :wink:
And, he could make it new looking in just a few minutes, or a slight rain shower would make it look new again. It is a temporary distressing, I think, good until you get the hat wet.
Not quite, buddy. Making the hat wet will NOT remove the lighter areas.
There is a stage that I get the hat to, where it looks like a distressed hat...
Right, but with this technique, you'll be able to lighten up the areas CONTROLLED / where you want them to be, in opposite to being placed all over the hat without knowing exactly where they'll pop up and how they'll look. So by using this technique, you could draw a line where to distress the hat and where not to and that is a big advantage in my book.

Regards,

Marc
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Did you just give away a company secret that Marc was trying to protect?

Nope. There are so many variables involved, you would have to make hats for a living, or hobby to have a clue. If you make hats, you would already know "the secret" But, the secret is safe with me.

This is of course, not in keeping with my whole philosophy about hatmaking. But, I will respect Marc's wishes. Trust me, even the info that I gave would not get you there in the technique. I gave some info, but not the essential factor. So........ :wink: Fedora
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Why do I have a mental image of Marc hiding behind his counter, belt sander and hat body in hand, saying to himself..." They'll NEVER figure it out...they'll NEVER know the secret of success!!!!!" :twisted: :lol: :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

:rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:
Marc
Vendor

Post by Marc »

BWAHAHAHAAA!!! I guess seeing is believing Michaelson. You'd drop that image as soon as you'd see one close up, since the finish is equally smooth (and thick :wink: ) on both the distressed and undistressed areas of the hat.

Oh, and thanks for the good laugh btw.

Regards,

Marc
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Marc wrote:BWAHAHAHAAA!!! I guess seeing is believing Michaelson. You'd drop that image as soon as you'd see one close up, since the finish is equally smooth (and thick :wink: ) on both the distressed and undistressed areas of the hat.

Oh, and thanks for the good laugh btw.

Regards,

Marc
Come now, Marc....we ALL know German tools are the best in the world, so you're not fooling any of us. Belt sander....yep...that's it... 8) :lol: :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
Marc
Vendor

Post by Marc »

Did I ever tell you that I sell tools for daily living? - Now go figure... :shock: :lol:

Regards,

Marc