Strider and the Akubra Federation (New Fed, New Pic!)

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Strider and the Akubra Federation (New Fed, New Pic!)

Post by Strider »

At the Queen Mary 2005, Canyon and I had talked about how I should pick up an Akubra Federation and put a Last Crusade bash on it. With this last paycheck, I had the extra cash, and figured what the heck. So, I placed my order. It arrived today, and probably took me all of 10 minutes to put a bash in that I was happy with. Without further ado ...

Here is the hat right out of the box. Some slight taper is obvious, so that solidified my decision to drop an LC bash on this puppy. I might've done a Raiders bash instead, if it had less taper. If there was more taper, I would have gone Temple of Doom, but this level of taper seemed just right for a Last Crusade bash. :D

Here she is when I was done.

And on my head.

Feel free to opine.
Last edited by Strider on Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
WinstonWolf359
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by WinstonWolf359 »

Wow, that looks great! :D

I think you nailed the LC look PERFECTLY! Great hat, and a great bash!
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

Thanks! :D As the hat was on order, I took many screen grabs from Last Crusade so that I could study them while I waited. I probably took over 20 screen grabs, and would just stare at them going "OK, I think this is how I am going to get the crown to do this...let me write that down..." :lol: I've always liked the LC hat (just not as much as I like the Raiders hat), and since I have a Raiders AB on order, I figured it was time to add this style to the stable. Maybe someday, I'll get another Akubra Fed and go Temple of Doom.
Swindiana
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Swindiana »

Good job!
And the hat just looks perfect proportional wise in every way.
I wish mine did that too. ;)

:tup:

I can't wait for it to taper enough to see a ToD bash on it. *Kidding*

Regards,
Swindiana
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

hat

Post by BendingOak »

Strider, that a great job you did.
inexpensive_jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by inexpensive_jones »

Very nice job! If or when I get another lid I think that one will be in the running.
3thoubucks
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by 3thoubucks »

I like the way it goes from olive drab, to golden glowing brown, to Lucky Charms Green. :wink: What size is it? Did you notice any signs of it having been stretched lengthwise with a heated expanding block? (That might start at size 59, like mine, but I'm not sure.) You gotta love the high quality sweats in these hats, buttery soft, thin, and smell like a new Wested. Looks really good with that bash. :D
IndyTaz
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndyTaz »

:shock: Very nice my friend...trust Australian made :wink:

TAZ
Indyjim
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indyjim »

Lookin' very good my friend! Seeing a new unbashed fedora, right out of the box, has got to be one of lifes little pleasures.
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

It's a very nice looking LC bash and from your last pic I can see you're very happy with it!!!! :D
The colour (when it doesnt look... green? :? ... or grey :shock: ) is very nice. I have never owned an Akubra but from the pics I've seen on this forum (and today in this thread) their felt looks very high quality!

Wear it a lot and give us MORE PICS!!! :lol:
:wink:
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Hemingway Jones »

I am sure the color is a nice warm brown on that Akubra. Sometimes cameras pick up the greener highlights and if you're real unlucky, like me, those highlights may be realized, but there is no reason for concern. Most people never have an issue.

The bash is great. I love seeing something other than a Raider's bash, though I dearly love it. This bash is very classic and will suit your more formal clothes (catch the pun?).

Nice job, Stider. :wink:
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

Looks kinda cowboyish, but I don't know why. Maybe it's the pretty shallow front dents, maybe it's the brim, maybe it's the greenish color. Nice hat anyways. :tup:
inexpensive_jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by inexpensive_jones »

$3thou wrote:
I like the way it goes from olive drab, to golden glowing brown, to Lucky Charms Green.
So what color is it? Plane Scene Grey? Coffee Brown? or TOD green?
GL
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Veddy nice! Me gusta! Ja gut, Herr Strider!

I think the bash came out really good - I tried once to do an LC bash on my buddy's Akubra and it came out looking almost like a Dorfman. :lol:

In Christ,
Shane
prairiejones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: In the damp jungles of Peru, drinking Dewar's with Pagey.

Post by prairiejones »

Great LC bash, Strider!! :tup: Looks good on ya'.
conceited_ape
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by conceited_ape »

Ah, very 'Venice Pier'! 8)
Always loved how "straight-outta-tha-box" that hat looked. Well done! :P
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

3thoubucks wrote:I like the way it goes from olive drab, to golden glowing brown, to Lucky Charms Green. :wink: What size is it? Did you notice any signs of it having been stretched lengthwise with a heated expanding block? (That might start at size 59, like mine, but I'm not sure.) You gotta love the high quality sweats in these hats, buttery soft, thin, and smell like a new Wested. Looks really good with that bash. :D
It's a size 58 (7 1/4), and it didn't look like it'd been stretched to me, but I admit I didn't look for that right away.

Thanks for all your kind words, gentlemen!
Indiana Lee
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Indiana Lee »

Nice...is this the Deluxe or just the Regular.....how long do they take to get once you place an order with them?
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

The Fed is a good choice

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

That's a nice bash, Strider. I didn't go Indy on mine, but I love it just the same. It's the hat I grab when I see dark clouds in the sky but I still want to look good.

Indiana Lee (hi again); If memory serves, I had the hat in about two weeks, but that was with a second hat that had to be retrieved from their warehouse. So you might get it faster. They have several different shipping speeds, anyway.
Chewie
WinstonWolf359
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by WinstonWolf359 »

Depends on shipping method and if the hat is in stock. I just ordered another Akubra on Monday and it should be in my hands tomorrow. My first hat from HatsDirect took five days but that was also over a weekend.

:)
Kaleponi Craig
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Kaleponi Craig »

Looks great, Strider. The LC bash is my favorite...KC
Indiana Lee
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Indiana Lee »

Not really sure of my hat size. I have a stetson and a herbert johnson, both the same size , but the fit is not the same. The stetson fits a lighter tighter, a little better than my HJ, which feels a little loose. Do these run large do you think? Or should I go with that Hat size again, and hope it fits like my Stetson?
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

Measure your head, if you have something to do it with. When you go to Hats Direct's site, look for their size conversion chart. Akubra sizes run a little different. If you can't measure, then use the size from your Stetson and HJ and compare it on the size chart to the "cm" size. The hat should be a little loose when new, but will conform to your head with wear.
Chewie
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

I just ordered the same size I order my ABs in, and it came out fine. It's a regular Akubra, and took roughly 10 days to arrive. Thanks again for the kind words, guys. :)
WinstonWolf359
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by WinstonWolf359 »

Any tips or tricks to get such a spot-on LC bash? After seeing yours I decided to order another Akubra myself.

Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

I tried taking pics of myself putting the bash in as I did it, but with no person to take the pictures for me, it didn't really work out. I have a bunch of reference pictures that I used for study when I had the hat on order, but let me see if I can describe what I did.

I did the brim first. The brim on the LC hat is really really curly on the sides, and just pops down a tad in front. To get that, I had to be a little rough with the brim, but it turned out great. I curled both sides of the brim up with my hands, (and I know this part sounds funny, but it's what I did) then I pushed the front of the brim down with my chin simultaneously. I held it like that for about 2 minutes or so, and just kept doing it periodically as I was shaping the crown.

For the crown, the pinch is only tight at the apex of the crown. The dents are put in in such a way that makes it look like there's this little mountain triangle on the front of the crown, leading up to the apex. For the dents, they're almost more like side dents than they are front dents, but I digress. I put one hand inside the crown, and pushed the dent in with my other hand (similar to what Pagey did in his "Pagey Bash Tutorial"), and pinched with the hand inside the crown so the dent would form, being careful to leave that triangle on the front. Once the dent popped in, I pushed it down a little on the side of the hat, and it just came out the way you see it in the pic. That's how I did both dents. I just keep curling the brim and pushing the front down with my chin every now and then, and it looks great every time I do it.

Hope that helps!
WinstonWolf359
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by WinstonWolf359 »

Thanks! That helps a TON! Hopefuly my hat will come today and I can get started!

Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

I'm glad. The center dent is relatively easy to put in. I just put one hand inside the hat, and formed it with my other hand. The center dent in the LC hat isn't that deep, so the crown height was just fine for that.
WinstonWolf359
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by WinstonWolf359 »

Well, my new Fed Deluxe arrived today! :)

I think if Strider's is a 58 then a 59 must be where they start using a straighter sided block, because my 59 is pretty straight, almost to the point of looking a little reverse-tapered in an LC bash.

Here's what my 10 minutes of tweaking got me. Not as good as Strider's, that's for sure!

With that straight sided look happening on it's own I decided to try a Raiders bash as well, just to see how that might turn out.

Same hat, different bash:

As much as I wanted my second hat to be a LC, I think it's trying to tell me it wants to be a Raiders...
J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

Excellent! Can't believe what a great block shape you got with that hat! :tup: Take advantage of it and stay with the Raiders look. :wink:
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

Hoo boy. I think that hat looks good no matter which way you do it. Go with what'cha enjoy, my friend! :D I really like the way it turned out. I'd like to see it on your head, then we'd really see how Raiders/LC it looked.
WinstonWolf359
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by WinstonWolf359 »

I'm hoping my resident photographer (wife) will be willing to take some photos of me later today or tomorrow. I'm not so hot at taking the "into the mirror" shots, but I might try anyway.

WinstonWolf359
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by WinstonWolf359 »

Pardon my photography skills, but here's a couple shots of me in the (still Raiders) hat.

Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Looks great! :clap:

Regards! Michaelson
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

Looks great so far. I'd like to see how the LC bash looks, too. :)
3thoubucks
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by 3thoubucks »

I think Feds go on the electric expanding block at size 59. Leaves stretch marks on the sides and across the tops of the hats, and the felt is softer in these sectors. There's evidence the Raiders hat was stretched. The marks are are more prominent on the Regular Fed than the Deluxe because of felt difference. Image Image
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

Here's the ol' Fed with some Fuller's Earth applied to it.

Flash:

No Flash:
kalkamel
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by kalkamel »

Awesome bash and weathering, Strider! Now how about some pics of you in fully weathered/distressed LC gear? :D
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Canyon »

That's a great looking fedora, Strider. :D

I love the distressed look! :wink:
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

This is the same Akubra Fed posted above over a year later. This hat has been rained on, accidentally sat on, re-bashed, dusted up, sweated in, worn to death, and then worn some more. Still has the ol' LC bash going on, and here's how she looks today:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v682/ ... FedOYL.jpg
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

Soo...does it look ugly or something? I don't understand why it's getting IGNORED. :?
ob1al
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by ob1al »

Well, it still looks good man - those Akuba's can take a beating and then some.

Is it just me, or does the brim look slightly smaller in the new photograph? It may just be the angle of the shot, I suppose.
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

Brim's the same size. :) Never did anything to it but shape it over time. It's more curly now than it used to be, because the brim has lost 99% of the stiffener that was in it when I first got it.
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

strider, you've strayed from the beautiful SA LC bash that i recall viewing a year ago....to be honest, i didn't think it could be done that well with the akubra......., but you're hat now has a character of its own.

to be honest, i liked the way it originally looked....but then again, she wasn't protecting my head on rainy days or molding to my noggin on hot days nor gettting trained by my hand. the experiences that you have with her gives it its appeal that no one else can truly appreciate except for you. that factor alone gives it its charm. we can only comment on what we see. i like any fedora that sits on an owner who truly treats it like an old friend. so, yes sir....that is a fine hat you have there :D
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

:shock: Wow that thing LOOKS like it's been worn to death and then some. Amazing how those Akubras hold up, isn't it? Kinda looks like mine - though I think mine may be more tapered... of course mine is about 3 years old.

Here's mine today, if you don't mind my showing it:

Yours looks more faded than mine though... :-k

In Christ,
Shane
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel
Location: DBSSWWD ~ "This is how we say goodbye to MIMES in Germany!"

Post by Indiana Jerry »

It is amazing how things change in a year. Based on McFly's avatar, he's looking much more like Spielberg these days...or Elodie. ;)
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

i say elodie.......

sorry shane...couldn't resist :lol:
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Alright!! Alright!!! I'll change my avatar! Ugh!

:lol:

You guys su*k! lol

In Christ,
Shane