Joe Strain Whip Arrived (Pics)

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

TheGreyGhost
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Joe Strain Whip Arrived (Pics)

Post by TheGreyGhost »

I just got my whip yesterday its a 8 ft 12 plait Indy whip (Natural Color)and I thought I would post some pictures of it for all to see. I am totally blown away by this whip, I love it. It's thinner than I expected from all the pictures I saw online of different whips I expected the whip to be about 2 to 3 inches wide at the handle but I was wrong. I must say that I am totally satisfied with my purchase 100% . I have to tell you that when you spend 380 dollars for a whip and are totally satisfied that is a good feeling.

Here are some pics so far. These are very large pictures so beware.

http://www.hereintown.net/~blaise/pics/whipInBox.jpg
http://www.hereintown.net/~blaise/pics/knot.jpg

Now to buy some instructional whip dvds. Any recommendations ?
Darth V.A.D.E.R
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Darth V.A.D.E.R »

Great whip,Ghost!Congrat :clap:
Abou DVDs,try to contact Bernie Wojcicki or Paul Stenhouse.
B.Regards
Darth
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

I got my Strain today - 10ft saddle tan. Wonderful workmanship but it's just too lightweight. I prefer a heavier whip for an indy whip. in the last couple of years I've tried various whips including 2 morgans and a Winrich- none were quite THE whip, although the Winrich came closest- oh well off to ebay again i guess :?
midwestwhips
Vendor

Post by midwestwhips »

Hey Ghost,

Thanks for the pictures, you weren't kidding when you said they were big! They show the detail so well you can see the grain of the leather on the strands!!! I love whip pictures, and these are excellent, :D Congrats on the new whip purchase, it looks wonderful. Enjoy it!

Regards,

Paul Nolan
MidWestWhips
TheGreyGhost
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by TheGreyGhost »

I just figured that if I was going to take some pictures that I might as well make it count. Anyway I think I might post some more tomorrow, for your viewing pleasure. :shock:

Also try downloading the pictures on your computer and zooming in on them. I think you might be surprized how far you can go. :lol:

Thanks for the dvd recomendations I think I will try both.
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Bufflehead Jones »

Hey Ghost,

That is a great looking whip. Congratulations. I just saw that you are here in Maryland. That means that you really need to bring that whip up to the Finger Lakes summit in September so we can all check it out in person.

I need another whip. I would love to have a Joe Strain. Of course, there are a lot of whip makers that I would love to get a whip from. Maybe there will be an overabundance of kangaroo hides soon, and the prices will drop dramaticly, and I can get one from all of them. Yeah, right.
jabahutt70
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by jabahutt70 »

midwestwhips wrote: They show the detail so well you can see the grain of the leather on the strands!!! I love whip pictures, and these are excellent
Hey Ghost,

I agree w/ Paul, those pics are fantastic! Very detailed. When that pic of the heel knot loaded on my screen, I pulled back a bit....it was almost as big as my head! Once again, congrats on a fine choice.

Whiskyman,

I can understand wanting a bit heavier whip for an Indy style. Almost sounds like you'd like one shot-loaded, even if only slightly loaded. That would definitely give it some more weight.

Steve.
TheGreyGhost
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by TheGreyGhost »

I am still a little new here, so don't kill me for asking. But,

Where can I find more information about the Finger Lakes summit. Like driving directions and such.
Indiana Texas-girl
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Indiana Texas-girl »

Another DVD I'd recommend is Simon Martin's. I have Paul Stenhouse's and that one is great, but may be a bit hard to come by. I think Paul sold off most all of his copies, but it wouldn't hurt to check with him.

The Finger Lakes Summit link is the Events section. I just confirmed my airline ticket for it and will be there. Here's a link to the first page with info.
viewtopic.php?t=16289&start=0
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Bufflehead Jones »

Finger Lakes summit

Just click on the link above and it will take you to the thread about the summit. If you have any questions or need directions, PM Curator Rick or myself. I hope you can make it. You will have a great time.
BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

GreyGhost, Congratulation on the new bullwhip, Thanks for putting up the links to those really highly detailed pictures, Thats a great looking whip!

As for Video recommendations. With a shorthanded Indy style bullwhip, I’d suggest Paul Stenhouse’s DVD on whip cracking and maintenance. That would be a really good start if you can get a copy of it. It covers the basics very well as well as some advanced cracking and the maintenance section is very helpful. You would also do well with the Whip Cracking made easy videos/DVDs put out by Mark Allen and Alex Green. The Whip Cracking made easy videos are a bit old school, but the methods are solid and you can learn the foundations from them. I also like the videos done by Anthony Delongis, but it’s a slightly different style of whip cracking and not for everyone. I haven’t seen Simons DVD's yet, but some of the Australian whip cracking videos do tend to focus more on the use of the stockwhip. You can still get a lot out of them with a bullwhip, but stockwhips are a bit of a different animal then a short handled bullwhip, and some of the things you can do with a stockwhip, are a bit stressful on the shorter handled bullwhips. If you go that route be sure talk to who ever it is who put out the video and see if they cover bullwhips too.

Dan
TheGreyGhost
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by TheGreyGhost »

I really wish that I could get a copy of Paul Stenhouse's DVD's they sound really good from what everyone has said but alas Paul e-mailed me and said that they aren't available and may be like that for some time.

Anyone got a copy they want to get rid of. I would even take a copy of a copy. I'm desperate.

If I can't get his then I guess I will stick with Mark Allen and Alex Green's DVD's but Paul's just sound better for a beginner.
BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

GreyGhost, You may want to post a notice that you’re looking to buy one of Paul Stenhouse's DVDs in the For Sale & Want Ads section of COW, you might have some luck. Since his dvd is copywrited material though “a copy” would be a bit unethical not to mention illegal with out written consent from Paul. You’ll do fine though with Whip Cracking Made Easy 1 & 2. They are pretty clear-cut and do a good job laying down the basic cracks, target work and help to build multiple cracking routines. No video I’ve seen covers everything, so as your skills progress you’ll want to acquire other whip cracking videos from different sources to see the kind of stuff they are doing and see what you can get form them.

Dan
TheGreyGhost
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by TheGreyGhost »

Thanks BullWhipBorton,

I'll do what you said, and stick with Whip Cracking Made Easy 1 & 2. I appreciate your help and everyone else's.

Thanks