Flying With Aldens

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Alabama Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Flying With Aldens

Post by Alabama Jones »

Are they aerodynamic, hows the fuel mileage; the landings etc... :wink: :lol:

Going on a trip soon and am planning on wearing my 405's. Was wondering about you guys' experiences on going through airport security and customs. Any problems? Is it just a matter of taking off the boots ? Is it worth it?
eaglecrow
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by eaglecrow »

I had a round trip;

Vienna-Amsterdam-Vancouver-Prince George

I din't had to take my shoes off
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

You Americans seem really worried about these things! Once a month I read a thread about "can I bring this with me on a plane?" ... and answers like

yes you can bring your glasses
yes, I already flew with shoes at my feet many times
:lol:

In Europe we just get on a plane caring of not bringing any weapon or similaria in the handbag. That's it!! :lol:

SOrry I thought a joking post was needed :P
Neolithic
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Neolithic »

Make sure you get to the other side of the metal detector so you can watch them going though. It's weird to see just how much steel is in Aldens and a strange experience that I always enjoy to see your shoes and other stuff go through an x-ray!
Last Crusader
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Last Crusader »

erri_wan wrote:You Americans seem really worried about these things! Once a month I read a thread about "can I bring this with me on a plane?" ... and answers like

In Europe we just get on a plane caring of not bringing any weapon or similaria in the handbag. That's it!! :lol:

Right. Here in Europe you don´t have to take off any clothes or boots before entering an aircraft. Only hats. That´s all.
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

Last Crusader wrote:
Right. Here in Europe you don´t have to take off any clothes or boots before entering an aircraft. Only hats. That´s all.
THat's right... the officer at the gate squashed my hat a bit when I went to Scotland... :evil: :evil: :evil:
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

Will the shank inside the Aldens even set off metal detectors? I've gone through metal detectors in a court house before with my Aldens on, and did not have it go off, nor did anyone ask that I remove my shoes.
Indiana Texas-girl
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Indiana Texas-girl »

erri_wan wrote:You Americans seem really worried about these things! Once a month I read a thread about "can I bring this with me on a plane?" ... and answers like
Oh yes, they are strict over here, especially tightened since the 911 incident in 2001. Dr. J had his relic raider clover lighter confiscated.
Harrison_Davies
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Harrison_Davies »

Metal detectors look for a certain grade of steel..i.e. the quality used in weapons...unlikely that an Alden will have weapons grade steel in them.
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

Indiana Texas-girl wrote:
Oh yes, they are strict over here, especially tightened since the 911 incident in 2001. Dr. J had his relic raider clover lighter confiscated.
That's a bit TOO much. I mean, Europe is involved aswell (although we think we're not) and I remember a couple of red alert times, one of them in UK when the army sieged the airports in London, but nowdays I can still fly to UK without guards confiscating me anything.
I'm just sorry that you american people are kept constantly under a state of tension since 2001... which is now more than 4 years.
I hope better times will come as soon as possible for everyone.
Alabama Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Alabama Jones »

Erri, no offense, but since 9-11 this not really a joking matter.

Thanks for the responses everyone.
Kodiak
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Kodiak »

I flew wearing my Redwings and had no trouble. Be ready though... they WILL make you take them off, and disgruntled business travelers behind you will get very impatient waiting for your boots to come off when you are right in front of the metal detector.
Scandinavia Jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Scandinavia Jones »

Strider wrote:Will the shank inside the Aldens even set off metal detectors? I've gone through metal detectors in a court house before with my Aldens on, and did not have it go off, nor did anyone ask that I remove my shoes.
Depends on how well (and recently) calibrated the detector is - my Aldens have set off the arch, both in Sweden and at Heathrow. I also had my Aldens sent through the X-ray machine and took a peek at the image - those shanks are big!
As for the "we in Europe" thing, different countries have different views on airport security, regardless of EU or Schengen standardisation efforts. I'm glad you don't need to submit to any uncomfortable security measures in Italy, erri - hope you continue to stay safe as well.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Agreed on the detector calibration point. I went through a detector in our Nashville airport two years ago, and the two metal grommets on my loafers set the thing off! :roll:

Regards! Michaelson
Alabama Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Alabama Jones »

Thanks for the feedback guys. I guess I'll just be prepared to take 'em on and off. I know my feet will miss them if I leave 'em.
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

Alabama Jones wrote: Erri, no offense, but since 9-11 this not really a joking matter.
As a matter of facts my latest reply was not a joke at all... more a hope actually. Sorry I wasn't thinking about that before ITG said that.
Alabama Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Alabama Jones »

erri_wan wrote:
Alabama Jones wrote: Erri, no offense, but since 9-11 this not really a joking matter.
As a matter of facts my latest reply was not a joke at all... more a hope actually. Sorry I wasn't thinking about that before ITG said that.
No worries. :wink:

Glad things aren't quite as rigid for you.
pigirondan
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by pigirondan »

I had to take them off in San Francisco, Rome and Munich.
Baggers
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Baggers »

After 9/11 I never travel wearing shoes that I can't get off and on quickly. The Aldens are always in the checked baggage and ready to go after we get to our destination.

Once, I tried wearing suspenders instead of a belt so I wouldn't have to take it off and put it through the X-ray. The metal batchelor buttons I'd installed on the jeans for them still set off the metal detector, which required me to have to "assume the position" and get the full scrutiny in front of everybody at the check point. It was quite embarrassing and I swore that I wouldn't travel by air wearing anything that would subject me to that again. :x

I used to love air travel, but between the airlines cutting services to the point that it isn't any more enjoyable than riding on a Greyhound bus and all the insanity over security, it's become an ordeal. If time isn't a factor, I drive.

Cheers!
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Baggers wrote: If time isn't a factor, I drive.

Cheers!
Hear hear! :clap:

Regards! Michaelson
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

Ok here a good suggestion... wear close enough shoes when you travel and put the Aldens in the luggage (or even in a handbag to put under the healthy x-ray at the gate), since no one fly with just a pair of shoes (at least not me :lol: )
Baggers
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Baggers »

If you still have to deal with partly unlacing "close enough" ankle style boots to get them off your feet, that's still not good enough in my mind. I either wear slip on type loafers that I can remove quickly, or low quarter shoes or suede desert boots which I only have to untie the knot and loosen the lace without having to unthread any lace holes in order to get them off.

It's all about ease and speed in order to get through the line with as little fuss and delay as possible. I don't want to have to spend five minutes reassembling myself before I can proceed to the gate.

Cheers!
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Alabama, I've taken my Aldens on a couple of plane trips and I always take them off ahead of time and plop them in the tray, explaining that they're orthopedic shoes and that they have a steel shank for support. It simply saves time and headache in the long run. I love watching the reactions of some of the scanner crew. Their eyes get real big!

I'll be traveling in a month, and though I'll be taking my Aldens, this time I plan on wearing sneakers or sandals though the airport. In D.C. airports, I bet the detectors are highly calibrated.
bleyd
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

quick tip

Post by bleyd »

After alot of traveling I've learned a few tricks to get me through faster. I generally wear a leather jacket so I keep all my change, keys,cellphone, etc. in it. Either prior to getting in line or when I'm in line I remove my belt, roll it up, and put it in one of the pockets. When I get to the detector all the metal objects are in my jacket and I simply throw it on the belt. They get to see what a packrat I am and I get through fairly quick. I grab my jacket, move to the side and put my belt on.

I was at the local courthouse and did that there too. Worked like a charm and the bonus for me is my Wested gets a little scratched up on the conveyor. :wink:
bastoon
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by bastoon »

erri write
Ok here a good suggestion... wear close enough shoes when you travel and put the Aldens in the luggage (or even in a handbag to put under the healthy x-ray at the gate), since no one fly with just a pair of shoes (at least not me Laughing )
héhéhé... Erri, will you really put your 700$ shoes in the luggage ??!!

At this price, i sleep with mine... for the great ###### of my wife ! (THAT was a joke) :wink:
Ace
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Ace »

I found out that my Rugged Trail boots have metal in them too. They have set the alarm off several times now. Usually it's no problem when you take your shoes off at the security control.

When I went to Egypt in December things got heated when the alarm went "BEEP". I was told to remove everything with metal and then walk thru the security gate again. I was starting to panic a bit when the alarm keept on beeping when I had nothing more to remove with metal as far as I knew. :-) But lucky for me they tjecked the shoes and found everything okay.

Ace
Dr._J
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Dr._J »

Indiana Texas-girl wrote:
AND had to remove my Aldens because they set off the metal detectors on a different trip!
Scandinavia Jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Scandinavia Jones »

Ace wrote:I found out that my Rugged Trail boots have metal in them too.
Actually, a lot of footwear have metal inlays/parts for added structural 'tegrity. Several makes of hiking boots have shanks, not to mention combat/work boots with steel caps. ordinary shoes and loafers may also have metal plates for heel stability.

Most women's heeled shoes and boots have metal spikes in the heel as well... when doing the secondary screening with the wand, I was often surprised of the amount of metal, even in very petite heeled sandals...