Origins of the Indy Shirt?

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Mojave Jack
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Origins of the Indy Shirt?

Post by Mojave Jack »

I think I've found the stylistic inspiration for Indy's shirt. Whilst watching some quality Brady Bunch the other day, the Tiki Caves episode came on. You know, where Greg, Peter, and Bobby have to go to the cave to return the bad luck tiki to the grave of the Hawaiian king. There they run into crazy archaeologist, Dr. Whitehead, who is wearing a safari-style jacket with front pleats! Aha! The archaeological precedent for shirt pleats is set! You have to look closely in this picture, but they're there!

Last edited by Mojave Jack on Mon May 29, 2006 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Jackets with front pleats go back at least to the Victorian/Edwardian period. Old hunting jackets, or Norfolk Jackets, as they were called, had pleats that went down the length of the front of the jacket, and often had belts that went around the back. During the 60s/70s this style found somewhat of a resurgence, though polyester never quite had the class as wool and tweed. I think I read somewhere that the Indy shirt origins have been thought to come from guyabera (sp?) shirts...

But I can see it now, the new girl for IndyIV is going to be Alice! :shock: :lol:
Mojave Jack
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Mojave Jack »

Bink, that's not nearly as funny as it originating in a Brady Bunch episode! All those serious facts and things, oh, boy. :wink: OK, so my sense of humor is...warped. That just means I fit right in around here!
Kittlemeier
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Kittlemeier »

That shirt is indeed a guayabera or guayavera(depends on where you are). This has come up a couple of times in the past. I think the first time was when Jimmy Carter was in Cuba wearing a less seen long sleeve version. My wife's from Puerto Rico and her grandparents send me one every year. They're very comfortable. K

viewtopic.php?t=8060&highlight=guayabera

Edit: They're also very close to the classic barber shirt.
Shawnkara
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shawnkara »

To me Indy's shirt was always supposed to be a type of Officer's shirt. That's the idea behind most of that outfit; he knew these clothes would see a ton of abuse, so he just went with cheap, military surplus gear that was more or less disposable.
Mojave Jack
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Mojave Jack »

Indiana_Tone wrote:"The memories just come flooding back, monkey. Greg fell off his board.....they couldn't find him! They cliff-hung me on that episode and I had to wait until next time! It was horrible, monkey. Just horrible. How did Greg hold his breath for a whole week? I....I need another drink."

OR Mojave's response to the missed humor of the topic altogether.
I thought it was funny, MJ! :lol:
Thanks, Tone! At least somebody gets me! :D

Here's the question that gets me: if no one knew about that cave, how did Greg, Peter, and Bobby just wander out there like they were on their way to school or something?! And why did Dr. Whitehead get a wing named after him and not the Hawaiian guy told the Bradys where it was?

Now where the heck did I leave that tiki?
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Hemingway Jones »

"Mojave? Tone? ...Binkmeister?"
"Mojave? Tone? ...Binkmeister?"
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Mojave, I do love your sense of humour. Unfortunately, it was "Leave Your Humour At Home Day" at work today.' :roll:

Come to think of it, I DID wonder where they came up with the spider idea in Raiders... GREG!!!!!
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

Hemingway Jones wrote:Image
This is a G site! 8)
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

VP wrote: This is a G site! 8)
Yeah, tiki begins with the letter "T." Duh!
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

....but in the GREEK alphabet, it begins with...er :-s ...a 't' as well, I think. :-k

Regard! Michaelson
Mojave Jack
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Mojave Jack »

binkmeisterRick wrote:Mojave, I do love your sense of humour. Unfortunately, it was "Leave Your Humour At Home Day" at work today.' :roll:

Come to think of it, I DID wonder where they came up with the spider idea in Raiders... GREG!!!!!
Aww... Thanks, Bink :oops: I love you, too...I mean, I love your humor....Whoops, I mean...Hey, how 'bout those Dodgers! Anybody catch that game.... :-
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Mojave Jack wrote:
binkmeisterRick wrote:Mojave, I do love your sense of humour. Unfortunately, it was "Leave Your Humour At Home Day" at work today.' :roll:

Aww... Thanks, Bink :oops: I love you, too...I mean, I love your humor....Whoops, I mean...Hey, how 'bout those Dodgers! Anybody catch that game.... :-
Another moment brought to you by Kodak. :wink:
Feraud
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Feraud »

Indy's shirt looks very guayabera inspired. I have a bunch of them and love the shirt. Plenty of pleats and pockets!

Mojave Jack
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Mojave Jack »

Indiana_Tone wrote:It's quite the eye-opener to see how much of the Indy films was based off the Brady Bunch. Tiki Idol? Nurhachi? Indy? Pleated shirt. Archaeologist? Dr. Whitehead? Pleated jacket. Archaeologist.

I thought it might be a hoax had I not remembered they cut the whole surfing competition 'mishap' at the opening of Temple of Doom just before Indy decides to give the urn back to Lao Che the next evening. And does Sherwood Shwartz get any credit? No! :cry:
Hmmm. Now that you mention it, Tone, weren't there a number of scenes cut? Remember those pieces that Indy offered to Marcus that would pay for the plane to Marrakesh?! Anybody get a good look at them? That's right! Hemingway has found the Chachapoyan/Polynesian link! Obviously both Indy and Dr. Whitehead were aware of the link (and by extension Steven Speilberg and Sherwood Schwartz), which explains the significance of both the fertility idol and the Hawaiian tiki. No wonder Dr Whitehead was so intent on protecting that cave. That discovery could set the archaeological world on it's head! Good work, my friends!

Other odd things: Speilberg had a secretary named Schwartz and Schwartz had a secretary named Speilberg. Also, they were both born in a year ending in a number. Weird, huh?

(Mods, is this just gettin' too silly?)
Kodiak
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Kodiak »

Mojave Jack wrote:Speilberg had a secretary named Schwartz and Schwartz had a secretary named Speilberg.
Kinda like Kennedy's secretary Lincoln, and Lincoln's secretary Kennedy... or did I just miss the joke :-k 8-[ #-o
Mojave Jack
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Mojave Jack »

Indiana_Tone wrote:Only moments after the Bradys left for the Grand Canyon, Alice was instroduced to another archaelogist.

"Nice to meet you, too. Is there a Greg Brady here? It's important, Alice. Trust me."

That's a nice tiki, Tone! (And you are the supreme screen accurate Indy, I have to say!)

That's the spitting image of a young Dr. Whitehead, fresh from a dig deep in the Peruvian highlands, years before he nearly goes insane in a cave in Hawaii, thanks to those meddling Brady boys.

There were others on the trail of the Chachapoyan/Polynesian connection, too:

binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

And who could forget this classic line:

"...Bad Scooby snacks."

Or the original ending:

"Belloq! It was you in the monkey outfit the whole time!"

"Yes, Doctor Jones! And I would've gotten away with it if it weren't for you, those meddling kids, and that dog!"
Dakota Ellison
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dakota Ellison »

If I remember right, a guy named Andre Dematakis (sic??) designed the Raiders shirt. Maybe he was also a Brady Bunch fan.
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

Another wonderfully OT topic by COW. 20% of the posts in this thread are actually on topic. :P
Swindiana
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Swindiana »

And with yours and mine added, I think we are now on 18%. 8)

Now... What should we talk about?

Regards,
Swindiana
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

It's what shall we talk about, you dolt! 18,5185185185186% now. 8)
Luisiana Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Luisiana Jones »

Dont argue with VP, run now before he gets u a wiki link! Run u Fool! :lol:
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On-topic

Down to 16.6666666666666666666666666667%.
ob1al
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by ob1al »

Wooah...freepost. :shock:
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

15.151515151515151515151515151515%
Mojave Jack
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Mojave Jack »

Indiana_Tone wrote:You guys are going to get this thread deleted and the correlation between The Brady Bunch, Scooby Doo, and the Indiana Jones films will be lost forever! 8-[ Next thing you know, somebody's going to ask "Hey, where'd the idea for Indy's shirt come from?" And significant info like the above will be lost.

And truthfully, I don't think any of us expected the post to get this far. :lol:

"Rasps! Rery Rangerous!"
I certainly never expected it to go this far! But then again, I didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition, either!

By the way, VP, you're avatar is freakin' me out.
Scandinavia Jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Scandinavia Jones »

NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition! There, I got to say it this time... 8)

I for one am not going to participate in this thread - it will eventually be nuked and I'll lose precious post count... hey! No!

Re: VP's avatar - Lordi rokkaa.
Mojave Jack
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Mojave Jack »

Scandinavia Jones wrote:NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition! There, I got to say it this time... 8)

I for one am not going to participate in this thread - it will eventually be nuked and I'll lose precious post count... hey! No!

Re: VP's avatar - Lordi rokkaa.
Bring out...the comfy chair!

Yes, we here at COW have two tools for determining these historical archaeological connections: logic, intelligence, and humor. Three, three tools for determining these historical archaeological connections....

I Googled Lordi rokkaa, but it must have been in some ancient language or something. I couldn't read a thing! Who is this mysterious, not to mention creepy, Lordi rokkaa? Is he a Sith Master?
ob1al
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by ob1al »

And does he wear a safari-style jacket with front pleats? :-
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

Mojave Jack wrote:I Googled Lordi rokkaa, but it must have been in some ancient language or something. I couldn't read a thing! Who is this mysterious, not to mention creepy, Lordi rokkaa? Is he a Sith Master?
Lordi rokkaa is Finnish and means Lordi rocks. http://lordi.org/main.html
ob1al wrote:And does he wear a safari-style jacket with front pleats? :-
Yeah, kinda.

12,5%, that's ⅛.