mini-Indy-on-a-Budget; UPDATE-now in 12-plait

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

winrichwhips
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

mini-Indy-on-a-Budget; UPDATE-now in 12-plait

Post by winrichwhips »

Here's a pic of Indiana-Texas Girl's new hatband. It's made from kangaroo, but built just like the large IOAB whips and it does crack.

So, we went from pocket bullwhip, to wrist whip, and now a hat whip (though I admit the idea of a small whip that you wear on the hat is nothing new)

-Adam
www.myspace.com/adamwinrich

Last edited by winrichwhips on Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darth V.A.D.E.R
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Darth V.A.D.E.R »

Nice whip Adam!How long is that beauty?
Congrats ITG :clap:
Darth
winrichwhips
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by winrichwhips »

38 inches long, not including the fall, popper, or wrist loop.

-Adam
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

COOL!!! How much does somethng like that cost?
Texas Raider
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Texas Raider »

WINRICH!! That is too cool!! I assume she'll have it by the Midnight Movie Raiders showing here in Dallas? I've GOT to see this one! How many plaits is it? Can you make one with more plaiting (for a little more detail?), and yes, indeed, how much? :wink:

TR
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

Looks like a 4 plait to me. The IOABs are 4 plaits, so I understand, so if this is a mini IOAB...well, you get the picture. It's a really cool whip, congrats ITG! :D
winrichwhips
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by winrichwhips »

TR,

Yes, I probably could make another bullwhip like this one in finer plaits, though I'd have to think a little bit about the cost.

ITG got a deal on this one as it was the first 'mini-IOAB', but if I had to do it again I would want $50.

-Adam
Herr Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Herr Jones »

Nice work Adam! How heavy is it? This being a mini are the guts still the same like steel core and lead (I think this is what you use) for the turks head? Also what is the length of the fall, I guessing 18".

Best,
Herr Jones
winrichwhips
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by winrichwhips »

Hi Herr Jones,

With the IOAB whips I have switched to an all-leather core, and they've been that way for about a year. This mini-IOAB also has an all leather core and isn't that heavy at all. Also, the IOAB whips have a leather foundation for the turks heads, as does this mini-IOAB.

I think the fall was more like 10 inches, but I didn't measure it.

-Adam
Herr Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Herr Jones »

Wrong on all accounts :oops: . . . I'll go sit in the corner now ](*,)

Herr Jones
winrichwhips
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by winrichwhips »

Hey, you weren't wrong on ALL counts, the whip was some 'nice work'. :wink:
Herr Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Herr Jones »

:-k well on closer inspection . . .

:rolling:

:D
Indiana Texas-girl
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Indiana Texas-girl »

I can't wait to crack it! So would this be like an IOAMB-Indy on a Major Budget? LOL! It's a cute little thing!

TR, if I have it time (which Adam says I should), then I can bring it with me.
Texas Raider
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Texas Raider »

EXCELLENT! I'm looking forward to it, ITG! Adam, so that would be 50 bucks for the additional plait version?

TR
winrichwhips
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by winrichwhips »

TR,

This little whip was made exactly like the large IOAB whips, and took almost as long to make, and on top of that it's kangaroo, so it's $50 for THIS version, the 4-plait version.

Thinking about my regular IOAB prices, a 4 footer is $50 out of cowhide, and this kangaroo whip was just 10 inches shy of 4 ft. Though, at the $50 price I'd be willing to braid a little whip out to 4 ft.

I'm thinking I'd do 8-plait for $65 and 12-plait for $85. I should note that Joe Strain gets about $125 for a miniature 12-plait bullwhip.

-Adam
www.winrichwhips.com
Paul_Stenhouse
Vendor

Post by Paul_Stenhouse »

I jokingly have to point out that.....I know Joe Strain. Joe Strain is a friend of mine. Senator, you're no Joe Strain.

Or, however the quote goes.

Adam, you should just quit messing around and post your website here! :lol:

Best Regards,

Paul Stenhouse
Last edited by Paul_Stenhouse on Sun May 21, 2006 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
winrichwhips
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by winrichwhips »

Hey Paul,

Well, the M-IOAB isn't on my website, and I'm trying to feel things out on COW to see if I should add it as a standard product.

Yes, it is shamless self promotion. :roll:

I'm not sure how to take your 'Joe Strain' quote. I didn't say I was Joe, and I would never say that, I was merely making reference to his work. :oops: What movie is that from? Is it from a movie? Sounds like it's from something from senate hearings during the Red Scare and/or McCarthy-ism.

Though, Paul Nolan and I have been in contact with Russell Schultz and Russell's been kind enough to share pictures and information on some of Australia's outstanding whipmakers. While Joe is one of the great whipmakers in the US, Russell's shown me whips by whipmakers who I really would want to be.

However, (cue dramatice music) due to the constrictions of this mortal coil we find ourselves upon, I must be content to be me, and do the best I can. :lol: Shamless self promotion and all :twisted:

-Adam
Paul_Stenhouse
Vendor

Post by Paul_Stenhouse »

Hi Adam,

I'm from the subtle school. If people want my work, they'll seek me out. If they don't, that's fine too. One whipmaker will never make everyone happy.

Comparing your prices to Joe Strain, to me, smacks of a "buy from me" promotion. If people want the mini version of your budget whip, they'll ask for it, and how much it costs. Put it on your website as a one-off, but that it can be done in the future. I've had a kilt maker do that with a receiving blanket I had made for my daughter in the Bruce tartan.

I know you want to make a living from it, and I sincerely hope that you are able to, without selling whips wholesale to someone else.

You're free to shamelessly self-promote as much as you want.

The quote is from some goings on in congress, but I don't remember the specifics.

My point is this: do good work, and the people will follow, regardless of self-promotion. I'm giving you a ribbing because self-promotion is a continuous theme.

Best Regards,

Paul Stenhouse
Last edited by Paul_Stenhouse on Sun May 21, 2006 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Texas Raider
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Texas Raider »

From what I saw, he WAS asked a few times how much it was :? ,and he answered. The original thread was just what you said, him just showing a one-off that he made for ITG. No harm, no foul, from what I can see. :wink:
Anyway,,
Adam, I'll definitely go the 12 plait! Question though- 48 inches(including fall) is almost putting it in the realm of the Pocketbull,IMO. I'm wanting one that really IS tiny. Can you make one that is more like 36 inches TOTAL (not including popper) and that is really scaled down to just look like a miniature full size, not just a small whip? Am I making this clear at all? :? sorry.
So basically, the strands,plaiting,handle and everything would be 'to scale', meaning small thin strands etc. (sorry, I'm not trying to tell you how to make a whip :wink: , just trying to explain myself clearly). And of course, it'll be able to crack,,albeit maybe not too loudly :wink:

TR
Indiana Texas-girl
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

winrichwhips wrote: Thinking about my regular IOAB prices, a 4 footer is $50 out of cowhide, and this kangaroo whip was just 10 inches shy of 4 ft. Though, at the $50 price I'd be willing to braid a little whip out to 4 ft.
I got the whip yesterday and love it! I put it around my cowboy hat and would only recommend making it about 4-6 inches longer so that they wrap around the hat at least 1.5 times, rather than stopping short after making it around the first bend of the front of the hat. It cracks really easily too and will be very easy to coil up and put into my MKVII (easier to coil than a pocket bull).
Texas Raider wrote: Adam, I'll definitely go the 12 plait! Question though- 48 inches(including fall) is almost putting it in the realm of the Pocketbull,IMO. I'm wanting one that really IS tiny. Can you make one that is more like 36 inches TOTAL (not including popper) and that is really scaled down to just look like a miniature full size, not just a small whip? Am I making this clear at all? :? sorry.
TR
TR, I'm not sure if you're wanting it as a hat band too, but if so, 36 inches may be a bit too short to wrap around the crown efficiently. I'll bring mine on Saturday for you to see.
winrichwhips
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by winrichwhips »

Hi Holly,

I'll keep that in mind about the length. With your hatband, I wrapped it around my hat and tied the crack/fall into the wrist loop. That seemed to work fairly well.

I think if I wanted it to be more like a hatband, I would make a whip smaller in diameter, and have it not taper as much, and have the braiding go twice around the hat.

I have a kangaroo Indy whip to get done early this week, but after that I think I'll take some time and make up a couple more hatbands and experiment with it.

Holly, how does the bracelet fit? I guessed that your wrists might be a little smaller than mine. Remember that the little knot slides away from the big one, that's how you open it. It should be loose enough that it doesn't pinch your wrist, but not so loose that it slips off your hand.

-Adam
Zach R.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Zach R. »

BTW, it was from the 1988 Vice-Presidential debate, when Quayle was(foolishly) comparing himself to President Kennedy, Lloyd Bentsen(sp?) retorted: "Senator, I served with Jack Kennedy. I knew Jack Kennedy. Jack Kennedy was a friend of mine. Senator, you're no Jack Kennedy."

Anyway, thank you US Gov & Politics. :P
Indiana Texas-girl
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

winrichwhips wrote:Hi Holly,

I'll keep that in mind about the length. With your hatband, I wrapped it around my hat and tied the crack/fall into the wrist loop. That seemed to work fairly well.
I'll try that. I hadn't thought of tying it off to the wrist loop.
I think if I wanted it to be more like a hatband, I would make a whip smaller in diameter, and have it not taper as much, and have the braiding go twice around the hat.
Did you not make it as a hat band? That's what I had ordered.
Holly, how does the bracelet fit? I guessed that your wrists might be a little smaller than mine. Remember that the little knot slides away from the big one, that's how you open it. It should be loose enough that it doesn't pinch your wrist, but not so loose that it slips off your hand.

-Adam
It fits fine well (not too tight and loose enough that is can turn around easily). I quite like it and it was really easy to figure out how to slide the knot. I may wear it to work some this week. I look forward to seeing how it ages in color over the years.
Texas Raider
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Texas Raider »

Yes, that's what I was picturing as well, a smaller diameter, really miniature looking whip, not just an extra short/small IOAB. :wink:

Adam, I sent you some measurements, if you get to experimenting, try those, or as close as you realistically think you can get to them :wink: . If it works or you get close, and it looks good and cracks, consider it sold!(to me :wink: )

thanks! TR
winrichwhips
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by winrichwhips »

Hey Holly,

Yes, I did make your whip as hatband, though the length was governed by the kangaroo leather that I had on hand.

Now that I've just been mulling over what might make a whip that is even more like a hatband (though it would probably not be as good a whip as the little I made you ;-)

-Adam
Texas Raider
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Texas Raider »

Hey, Adam, I saw Holly's whip tonight, totally cool! As for the size, if you can make me one, the rear knot is perfect, don't change that!,,if you could make the diameter of the handle and thong just slightly smaller in it's entirety, the handle about an inch longer, the thong about 35 inches long(no longer), 12 plait, and in saddle tan :wink:

Let me know if this'll work!

thanks! TR
winrichwhips
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by winrichwhips »

I tried making a 12-plait Indy whip hatband. The kangaroo was saddle tan, though it was made from some drum-stuffed kangaroo that I've had for a while and the whip ended up looking more whiskey than saddle tan.

-Adam
Texas Raider
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Texas Raider »

Hey Adam, that whip looks excellent!! Those measurements work o.k.? They look spot on as far as scale goes! The dimensions make it look full size by itself and tiny when your hand is by it! PERFECT! I'll take it! :wink: :lol:

TR