The Only Raiders Hat

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

RichardSK
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

The Only Raiders Hat

Post by RichardSK »

If you were to own only one hat that was screen accurate to ROTLA, from what company would you order it and with what specifications?
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

Bink? The rest of you? C'mon now. Do not waste this opportunity. :lol:
Feraud
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Feraud »

Harrison_Davies
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Harrison_Davies »

Says it all Feraud! Perhaps a poll would be good....A lot of people I think will order the latest offering for Harrison Ford.
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

Definitely Adventurebilt. Unless you mean an HJ made...oh about 1981. :junior: -IJ
saxophone jones
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by saxophone jones »

After receiving my Adventurebilt today after an 8 week wait I can confidently say that it was worth it and I'd order from Steve again if ever I needed a replacement. The guy's an artist!

SJ
Fedoraman
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Fedoraman »

saxophone jones wrote:After receiving my Adventurebilt today after an 8 week wait I can confidently say that it was worth it and I'd order from Steve again if ever I needed a replacement. The guy's an artist!

SJ
Can't wait to get mine - I have been on the hook since February 27th... :cry:
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Can't wait to get mine - I have been on the hook since February 27th...

Yeah my lead times are bad, but not near as bad as other custom hatters. Most have a 6 month to a year turnaround time. Handmade hats are like that. On the other hand, you can get hats from a small hat factory like Optimo in a much shorter time. I think I waited for 3 to 4 weeks on my first one from them.

What also increases lead time on one like yours Fedoraman is you wanted a 6 inch open crown. Regular dress bodies can only go 5 3/4 max. In order to get a 6 inch crown, I have to special order an oversized dress body. Since these are not made in quanities I have to wait until they run the oversized ones. I did not know this earlier, as I thought they stocked them. The other option would be to order a western body, but those are way too stiff. The thing is, on 6 inch crown orders, I make zero in profit. Special run bodies are very expensive, because it takes 168 grams of beaver fur to make the 6 inch crown hats, and only 112 to make regular dress hats. Or 6 ounces and 4 ounces respectively. So, anyone wanting a 6 inch crown hat will need to consider this before placing an order. But, if I had my druthers, I would druther not to sell 6 inch open crown hats!! :lol: Regards, Fedora

PS. If the wait gets too long for any of you guys, please just email me. I will happily refund your money with no hard feelings!! Handmade hats take time, but are worth the wait if you can handle the suspense. :D
RichardSK
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by RichardSK »

When ordering an Adventurebuilt hat, should I get a standard crown or an oversized 6 inch? My hat size is 7 3/8.
Also, does it come with the correct band?
Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Captain D »

Yes, Steve's hats are well worth the wait, order with confidence! Just name the movie style you want, and any particular scene of that movie that you want it to look like, and you'll get it. :D

Kind Regards,
Captain D
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Hemingway Jones »

RichardSK wrote:When ordering an Adventurebuilt hat, should I get a standard crown or an oversized 6 inch? My hat size is 7 3/8.
Also, does it come with the correct band?
I am a 7 3/8+ and I would suggest getting a taller crown. I think that proportionally, the larger hat sizes need a higher crown to look like the Ford look. Though this, and all else, may be and should be discussed with Fedora.
The ribbon on an AB is perfect.
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

Just name the movie style you want, and any particular scene of that movie that you want it to look like, and you'll get it.
Heck, it doesn't even have to be an Indy movie! :junior: -IJ
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

hat

Post by BendingOak »

Hem, I have to disagree with you on this one ol budy. I have two AB ( and I'm a 7 3/8). First one with a 5 3/4 crown and the secound with a 5 1/2 crown. The 5 1/2 looks better than the 5 3/4 crown. The first one is back in the masters hands to get bumbed down to a 5 1/2 inch crown.
I would suggest to send a photo and let Steve deside what is the better height. I think just because we wear the same hat size desn't mean we bothe would look good with the same crown height.
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Well, I did say that he should talk it over with Steve.
Much of it depends on face shape.
Personally, I think I need a higher crown to achieve a perfect Raiders look, and I believe that one crown height does not suit all. I believe that to have one crown height for evey hat size from 6 7/8 to 7 5/8 is to achieve a variety of different looks, not all of which would achieve that elusive "Raiders" look.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

hat

Post by BendingOak »

hem, I know you did and I agree with you ol chap. So many things can play a roll in the final look. even that we wear the same size doesn't mean you can steal my hat and be happy with, but I could steall yours :D ( get it sized down). :D
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

Hemingway Jones wrote: I am a 7 3/8+ and I would suggest getting a taller crown. I think that proportionally, the larger hat sizes need a higher crown to look like the Ford look. Though this, and all else, may be and should be discussed with Fedora.
The ribbon on an AB is perfect.
hey wait... I'm 59cm! Should I have got a taller crown? :? Wasn't Harrison 58cm?
Fedora, your help is needed here
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Re: hat

BendingOak wrote:hem, I know you did and I agree with you ol chap. So many things can play a roll in the final look. even that we wear the same size doesn't mean you can steal my hat and be happy with, but I could steall yours :D ( get it sized down). :D
:lol: Well said, my friend, and very funny too. My hats are under lock and key. :wink:
Let me strive to be precise here; the Raiders hat is very dramatic. It is a high-crowned 1930s style fedora.
It is a wondrous thing because it will forever preserve that block shape, and those similar, when historically, they should have passed on.
If I took Fords hat and placed it on my head, I am sure it would be too small. If I wanted the perfect Raiders look, I would leave it up to Steve and let him bash it according to his advanced knowledge. If I were to bash it myself, I would want a bit more crown to work with.
We all must evaluate the final work to see if it suits us.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

hat

Post by BendingOak »

erri read all the post my freind. Not all of us with big heads need bigger crown heights.
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

True erri, don't be so easily lead, especially by me; I am not a hat expert. :wink: :D
Well, actually, let me qualify that; I am not an expert in the physical act of styling a hat, or how to move felt to create a look.
I am knowledgeable when it comes to judging that look, and I seem to know quite a bit about the vintage brands of hats and their corresponding stylings, most of which I learned from folks here and from researching hats from old movies.
An expert though? No. I am only an expert at obsessing over word choice and rereading and editing my threads. #-o
Last edited by Hemingway Jones on Sun May 21, 2006 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

hat

Post by BendingOak »

Posted: Sun May 21, 2006 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: hat
------------------------------------------------------------------------
BendingOak wrote:
hem, I know you did and I agree with you ol chap. So many things can play a roll in the final look. even that we wear the same size doesn't mean you can steal my hat and be happy with, but I could steall yours ( get it sized down).
Well said, my friend, and very funny too. My hats are under lock and key.
I could always send Bink that way. :D

to answer the tread question. Adventuebilt or any hat that ford wore in Raiders. :D
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

Well I didn't get THAT worried but just a bit, just because I don't have anything worse to worry about :lol:

I think it's mostly about the face shape. The "normal" crown height I think always looked good on me... I suppose it's right for my shape.
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

erri_wan wrote:The "normal" crown height I think always looked good on me... I suppose it's right for my shape.
Actually, a pair of wrap around sunglasses and a long black coat would suit you better.
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

:rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

Ok ok after all the Christian Slater jokes... I deserved it :lol: :lol: :lol:
JerseyJones
Vendor

Post by JerseyJones »

Robert A.M. Stephens wrote: Just some thoughts from an old hat wearer and now an AB owner.

Robert
Excellent thoughts Robert ! I agree on the crown height issue too. As I have a rather large noodle myself, 7 5/8 when I make up a Camptown for myself, I have a fairly large 6" crown pressed into it to leave that needed styling room. My standing orders with my hat builder are to err on the side of taller when I am putting in my base hat orders before I get to styling.

And you are also right that my good friend Fedora knows his Indy hats ( I am a proud owner of a size hugemongous one) and really brings it home in terms of dead on accurate.

Welcome to the fold too ! (somewhat belated - sorry :) )

Ken/JJ