Check out this watch

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

IndyChaos
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Check out this watch

Post by IndyChaos »

OK, I know this probably isn't an actual picture of Harry in his role as Indy, but I came across this image not too long ago, and I thought it was at least worth mentioning as a contribution to the perrenial debate about what kind of watch Indy would have worn.
Michaelson, I am expecting an anachronistic reprimand, but let me know what you think.

Jeff
Hunter Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Hunter Jones »

I bought this watch:

Here

While we don't see Indy wearing a watch, this one would come in handy when trying to catch a flight or such.

Regards,
Hunter
IndyChaos
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by IndyChaos »

I can't quite tell. Is the watch Harry is wearing a Staur? Or is yours a well-educated guess at what Indy would have worn?
Jeff
Hunter Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Hunter Jones »

I have no idea which watch Harry is wearing. I just felt the Stauer fit the right period for Indy.

Regards,
Hunter
Baggers
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Baggers »

IndyChaos wrote:I can't quite tell. Is the watch Harry is wearing a Staur? Or is yours a well-educated guess at what Indy would have worn?
Jeff
If it is, then he has good taste in inexpensive watches. :wink:

I bought the Staur Magnificat about a month ago. It has a nice retro look with the thick, rounded case and big crown. It seems to be finished out quite nicely, and as for accuracy, it gains about 30 seconds a day.

Cheers!
Kittlemeier
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Kittlemeier »

That's the cover of the June '94 GQ. I used to have it but no longer. It's the one my avatar came from. If you could find a copy I'm sure it'll have listed what watch it is. K
IndyChaos
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by IndyChaos »

I actually looked at the Staurs not too long ago, and at some point, I will probably pick one up. They really are good looking. My only concern is that they wouldn't be able to stand up to a rugged lifestyle because of all of the moving parts and its overall complexity. That said, they are beautiful timepieces.
Jeff
IndyChaos
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by IndyChaos »

Kittlemeier,
Thanks for the direction. :) I'll see if I can't find out what kind of watch it is. If its anywhere close to period, we may have found a suggestion as to what kind of watch the good doctor may have worn.
Jeff
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

It's a chronograph. That's all I can make out from the photo.

Regards! Michaelson
Baggers
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Baggers »

Kittlemeier wrote:That's the cover of the June '94 GQ. I used to have it but no longer. It's the one my avatar came from. If you could find a copy I'm sure it'll have listed what watch it is. K
Well then, the Staur is definitely out as they weren't being made back then. After Michaelson's comment, it hit me that with HF being a pilot, it might have been some species of high dollar pilot's chrono.

Still, the Staurs or similar might be good choices for a period looking watch. As for their sturdiness, I think they should hold up to light abuse. I mean, as long as one doesn't plan on doing anything like swimming out to a float plane or a submarine or getting dragged behind a truck it ought to keep on ticking. And BTW, complex watches with lots of little moving parts have been around for quite a while and in all situations, all the while managing to keep their wearers reasonably punctual. Please don't dismiss them as being too fragile. :wink:

Cheers!
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Ain't THAT the truth, Baggers! :shock:

If you ever get a chance to look 'under the hood' of a Hamilton 4992 chronometer/pocket watch, do so! It's AMAZING how much of a mechanism is inside this mechanical time piece, and it was the watch that was used on the dash of the cockpit of fighter planes during WW2. They were/tough as nails...railroad accurate, and a LOT of them are still running today in collectors pockets.

Regards! Michaelson
IndyChaos
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by IndyChaos »

Michaelson and Baggers,
I know little about the actual workings of watches, so if you guys say they can hold, I'll take your word as gold. Thanks for the input. It's nice to learn something every now and again. :D
I'm still going to try and find what make and model Harry is wearing to see if it will add to the speculative debate. :wink:
Jeff
Rev.Chuck
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Rev.Chuck »

Mechanicals can be pretty tough. I wear a Seiko mechanical/automatic, 21 jewel, with day/date/time. I have worn it daily(I am a mechanic) for nearly two years and it still stays accurate to within five seconds a week. It has some nicks and scratches but nothing major, I have even dropped it on a concrete floor with no issues.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

99% of my entire watch collection is made up of mechanicals...some well over 100 years old, and they are all tough, accurate, and reliable.

Regards! Michaelson