My head measures 58 1/2 cm. What size should I get?

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Sheepdog
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

My head measures 58 1/2 cm. What size should I get?

Post by Sheepdog »

I have an Akubra Coober Pedy, size 58, that was always a little bit tight on me, and left a pretty big red mark on my forehead. At least it was too tight until I customized it as seen here: viewtopic.php?t=17477

Now it fits nicely.

I am going to order a Fed Deluxe or AB, and was wondering what size you guys would recommend. My previous size 58 was only comfortable after it got steamed and worked, I don't want to have to do that with a new hat.

On the other hand, I don't want it to be too loose. Even with my tight fitting Coober Pedy (pre-futzing with it), a strong wind could blow it off my head.

What say you?
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

If you get one from someone like me, Marc, or Art, the best way is to measure your head. We can cut the sweat to your exact size, as many folks do not fit the cookie cutter sizing of off the shelf hats. I have found the best way to measure your head is to use a cloth tape, and pull it as tight as you want the hat to fit. That is, imagine the tape is the sweatband of the hat. Do it 2 or 3 times to insure accuracy. I then adjust the sizer out to your head circumference, and cut the sweat to fit the sizer. The only way that the hat will not fit is if you can't read a tape measure. :lol:

Hats can vary for a given size from a hatter, and hat charts contradict one another. A size 7 1/4 hat can be 22 5/8 circumference from one chart, and 22 3/4 on another chart. So, measure, and be certain. Fedora
Sheepdog
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Sheepdog »

Thanks Fedora!

Quick question... what are the dimensions of the brim on your hats?
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

I start out with 2 7/8 by 2 3/4, and then adjust the sides to thinner faces. On small hat sizes, like 7 and below, I generally reduce the brims to 2 3/4 by 2 5/8, moving down to 2 1/2 on the sides if the facial shape is thin. Or, I let folks tell me what they want the brims to be. I am flexible. :D Those specs are Raider specs. The LC hats I normally cut to 2 3/4 by 2 1/2 as that hat appears to have a bit less brim in some of the hats. Most folks that want a LC fedora want less on the sides. Fedora
Indiana_JoJo
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Indiana_JoJo »

Fedora, regarding thin faces, long ovals, and ordering an AB, is it helpful to you to send a photo of ourselves? Or can you infer certain things just by our hat size and head measurements?