Height of crowns of Akubra Federation

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

batfan76
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Height of crowns of Akubra Federation

Post by batfan76 »

Can we get a consensus from everyone who's bashed an Akubra Federation (or deluxe) on the various crown heights (nadir in crease, apex of crown in front, height of back)?

I'm considering the Federation, but I'm concerned about the height. Anybody know the original BASHED height of the Raiders and Crusade models?
Feraud
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Feraud »

I'll try to get some measurements tonight.
btw what are you concerns about the height? Too tall? If you are not used to wearing brimmed hats the crown might seem so. Then again, if you have concerns about the crown height the brim length might bother you too! :shock:
I recommend wearing a fedora (a less expensive one) for a suitable "break-in" period. This is to break you in! :wink:
You should gain some experience to decide if you like a short brim or crown.

I own the Akubra Federation Deluxe and love the hat! I just today received an Adventurebilt hat from Fedora and am looking forward to reviewing it against my Akubra. :)
batfan76
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by batfan76 »

No, I'm okay with wearing most fedoras.

That said, I'm here 'cause I want a hat that can be worn while doing yardwork or climbing, but also could be worn to a semi-formal/formal event, and every day.

I like the untapered look (from the front), I like the wider brim, I like the dramatic swoop when done right.

I just think (and I REALLY am not looking to insult anyone here) that, on some persons, the Raiders-style crown looks like a top hat, and doesn't look as "cool" as it does off-puttingly eccentric.

Since I'm not a tall (or particularly lanky) person, this is a concern of mine when spending $100+.

I know most people here think I'm nuts for not just forking over $300 for a HJ or AB, but I just don't have that kind of disposable income, and I don't think I'd get that much satisfaction out of 'em.
Feraud
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Feraud »

I understand your concerns. It is no one's business if you do not want to spend X amount of dollars on a hat. It is your money! :wink:

From your post I think the Akubra could be the right choice. It is certainly tough enough to wear around the yard but nice enough to wear to an event. My advice is to not put as "tight" a bash into the hat you choose. This should lessen the effect you are trying to avoid.

I will try to post the crown measurements.