Are Aldens (or deriv.) Comfortable?

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Kaplan
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Are Aldens (or deriv.) Comfortable?

Post by Kaplan »

There is NOTHING more irritating than a HEAVY, stiff boot. I love the style of Indy's boots and am considering buying a pair. I know that Indy Magnoli makes a pair similar. (Cheers to you Mr. Magnoli! you are an incredible propmaster!) I also know there is already a comparison thread on the subject, but it has long since died. I want to know which boot is more comfortable. (Although I am more inclined to give Mr. Magnoli the business) I am worried about how his boots stand the durability test.

If I am worried about comfort, should I forget about an Indy Boot altogether?
Thanks,
-GC
LeatherneckJones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by LeatherneckJones »

I have to add the disclaimer theat I've spent my entire adult life in boots. However, I find Aldens to be quite comfortable, with good overall support. They are a bit heavy, though. I've had my Aldens for going on 8 years, and I wear them almost daily. Great boots!
Jim
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Jim »

I agree with Leatherneck. I've only had my Aldens since December, but I wear them almost every day. I spend all day on my feet. I sometimes put on my Aldens at 3 a.m., and don't take them off until 9 p.m. they are not the most comfortable shoes I've ever owned, but after 18 hours, what shoes are? The point is, my feet don't hurt.

Alot of people on this forum recommend getting sized by a professional orthepedic shoe store before ordering a pair of Aldens, which is what I did, and mine fit perfectly. What I really like about them is they look good with jeans, khakis, dress pants, etc. They do, however, way a ton. Not really noticeable when you're wearing them, though.

As far as Magnoli's go, I'd love to hear more about them, because when the time comes, I may go with his, because they are a few dollars cheaper.
Ken
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Ken »

I found them painful to break in and one pair almost unbearably so, but then.... well there are no words. I would say like extensions of your own feet, but its more like they become your feet, to the point you feel strange when not wearing them.

Ken
Ark Hunter
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Ark Hunter »

I've never noticed the weight of the Aldens. Maybe I'm just used to heavy boots.

I just went on a mile walk today and other than the balls of my feet being a bit chaifed they felt pretty good. I atribute that to not usually walking that much or loose or rough socks though. Maybe because the boots are fairly new also. I don't know. Anyway, I ware them around most every day also, but do a lot of sitting. They seem to be comefortable while standing for long periods though.
Kaplan
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Kaplan »

Indy Magnoli!
Please chime in! I want to know more about your product.
Thanks,
GC
J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

I agree with what has been said above. The Aldens are very comfortable. They are heavier than most modern boots, but that doesn't bother me. Alden's quality and customer service is excellent. I've done a few six mile hikes in mine and the only problems I had were my fault not the boots. If you decide to go with Alden you won't be disappointed. However, I'm sure the same goes for the Magnoli's boots.

P.S. Magnolis just started offering his boots. I'm not sure if anyone around here has purchased a pair yet. :-k

:)
JAN
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by JAN »

Aldens are a part of the Indy-gear history, and for that reason You should
get a pair.

As for wearing they are allright, but not more than that.

They are quite heavy (living in Europe, I´ll compare to general
european standart in boots/hinking-boots), the sole is pretty hard -
it makes that cool "walking-sound" You often hear on movies, but
no walking on clouds here.

Airport security and Aldens are no friends as the steel shank sets
of the alarm everytime.

But they are very durable, and will last a lifetime if taken care of, but
You would like to buy then for the "Indy-reason" and not for the comfort -
You´ll find that better at modern boots.

Best regards

JAN
Gater
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Gater »

The JCrew Deckers were my first 'Indy' boots look-a-likes, and altho I really like them, they were a BEAR to break in, and I must have lost 2 layers of heel skin, so when I got my Aldens, I was expecting more of the same, but was quite surprised by the way they were comfortable right out of the box. A tad stiff, but no rubbing/blisters etc. I don't wear them daily, mind you (I wear the Ruggeds daily) but when I do wear them, I am always surprised by them.
Mike Bolton
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Mike Bolton »

So, in terms of weight and fit, how do the Alden boots compare to regular army combat boots like these:

I wear a 9W in the standard recruit boot, but my low-quarters (dress shoes) are 10D's, while my running shoes are 10 1/2's.

What size Alden would would probably work?
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I know that the military spec boot makers have done their best to lighten the load on the soldiers foot. The Alden boot falls closer to the weight of a standard leather work boot and a steel toed work boot. The high top boot as shown in your photo probably weighs a bit less than the Alden 405.

Regards! Michaelson
LeatherneckJones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by LeatherneckJones »

Mike Bolton wrote:So, in terms of weight and fit, how do the Alden boots compare to regular army combat boots like these:

I wear a 9W in the standard recruit boot, but my low-quarters (dress shoes) are 10D's, while my running shoes are 10 1/2's.

What size Alden would would probably work?
I also wear a size 9W military boot... my Aldens were professionally fit at the store, and I wear a size 9 1/2 E Alden.
Jim
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Jim »

The only trouble I've had with my aldens is the shoelaces. This was brought up in another thread, also.
they tend to break easily (if you wear them daily). But, as JWeaver mentioned, customer service is excellent. I gave them a call, and for 4 bucks each, I had them send me 4 extra pair. Had them in my hot little hands 4 days later. Hey, I think there's a pattern forming here. :roll:

Mine have always felt the same since the first day I put 'em on. Except the leather is softening with wear and Picard's. The inside of the shoe never caused any discomfort.
independent
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by independent »

Regarding sizing:

I had my foot measured at a shoe store (not Alden). I emailed Alden those measurements, length and width of each foot. Alden responded with their recommendations.

I ordered their shoes. When I got them, they felt too long and not wide enough.

So I ordered them half a size smaller and one size wider.

Moral of the story: If you can find an Alden's store, you'll save time and money.

If you can't find an Alden store, I would suggest you do the same as me.

Guessing, doing online measurements, using other people's stories - you're setting yourself up for disappointment and a loss for money. How many times will you send them back and forward until you get the right size? Not sure, but you'll be set back at least a few weeks and a bit of cheddar.

Maybe it's just me and I have strange feet. Who knows, maybe you'll be lucky. But to be on the safe side, you should follow the advice of people who have been through the process, and now that I'm one of them, I'll reaffirm their conclusion that anybody who wants these shoes should get his feet measured (preferrably at Alden's).
Montresor
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Montresor »

My Aldens were not difficult to break in and are very comfortable boots to wear for long periods. I've had some very good combat boots and the usual cripplers that are issued. For me, Aldens were better than the issued ones but not as comfortable as the custom ones. I've never noticed the weight when wearing them but they are heavier than my runners.
Good investment, highly recommended.
Indiana Cromeens
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Cromeens »

Alden's are wonderful shoes, I'm a waiter at a very busy restaurant and whenever I wear them they are quite comfortable and quite flexible, I don't think they're heavy compared to say a hiking/work boot. those kinds of shoes tend to have a heavy steel toe and super thick bottom soles which leave your feet feeling heavy and awkward. this has never been the case w/ aldens in my experience, when I first got them and was breaking them in they had a tendency to hurt one of my ankles but are now like socks,the foot balance system tends to leave your foot very comfortable in a natural way has opposed to other boots that try to add comfort by filling the inside w/ fluff
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Bufflehead Jones »

Hey, I like fluff. And besides, it rhymes with Buff. The only way that you wouldn't notice the weight of Aldens, is if you have been wearing cinder blocks on your feet for years. :shock: #-o
Ark Hunter
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Ark Hunter »

Besides the comfort, the Aldens, though lacking in tread, have very good traction on a wide variety of surfaces. I was expecting to slide around on wet cement and such, but that is not the case. I haven't tried them in snow, but I doubt that they would work as well in it. I'm sure actual tread would help there where "sticky" would not.
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Indy Magnoli »

I've been wearing my boots for a few weeks now and find them very comfortable. Before these, Aldens were the best thing I had ever worn, and swore by them. But, today I put on my Aldens and find my feet less comfortable in them than my own. I think a big reason for this is the fit. Although the Aldens did well for me, I think they've always been a wee bit tighter than they should be. Having a pair of boots custom-made for your feet is quite a luxury. :D

So, all in all, I find these two pairs of boots quite comparable. It think the main difference (besides the colour options) is how they will fit your feet. If you can get to an Alden shop to have your feet measured properly by their reps, do it. Otherwise, you can have a pair of Magnolis custom shaped to your feet.

Since there aren't any COW reviews on this boot yet, I've decided to run a 20% off special for one week on this boot. That brings the price down to only $220 (shipping included):

https://host385.ipowerweb.com/~indyprop ... 12c4bd8a0d

Kind regards,
Magnoli
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel
Location: DBSSWWD ~ "This is how we say goodbye to MIMES in Germany!"

Post by Indiana Jerry »

The Aldens are the most comfortable boot I've ever worn, and I've run a gamut through workboots, cowboy boots, hiking boots, dress and casual shoes, sneaks, and even those funky suede boots we wore in the 80's...er, anyway, YES, the Aldens are a bit heavier than most, but it is solid. And yet still very comfortable. They are still good to my feet after a long day of walking, unlike most other shoes.

BUT I have noticed they are not as good to me if I try to do heavy physical work in them. Then my feet can hurt just as in any other boot. Perhaps that's where they stop being as effective for me, maybe because they are a dress boot. Maybe it's just pulling around the weight of them, or forcing against such a solid sole...regardless, I think (that for me at least) they are a great everyday boot that work for me almost all the time, but I might start putting on a hiking boot or something for really heavy work.
Prof. Ed
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Prof. Ed »

I found the boots to be comfortable. Very heavy to the point that they bothered my back some.
I took a size that I never wear in regular shoes, so beware of the sizing contrast.

Best regards,

Prof. Ed
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Indy Magnoli »

I've been wearing my Aldens for a few days and I just realized after dealing with the tongue slippage, that my own boots don't have this problem (or at least only to a very small degree). I'm not sure if this is because the fit is closer to what I should have, the leather, construction or some other factor... but there you go. :-k

Kind regards,
Indy
Jim
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Jim »

Indy Magnoli,

By tongue slippage, do you mean the tongue shifting to one side, before you've even tied your laces? I have that problem with my Aldens, but I also have had that problem with other brands of ankle high boots over the years, and always on the left foot. It can be very annoying and sometimes uncomfortable.

Anyone know what causes that? Is my left foot just oddly mis-shapen??
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Indy Magnoli »

Yes, the tongue tends to slip to the outside of the foot. A lot of people have this problem with Aldens, and have solved it by stitching part of the tongue to the top of the boot.

I corrected this problem on my first pair of Aldens by constantly tugging at the tongue in the opposite direction. Eventually, the tongue shaped themselves around my foot and stopped slipping. Not so on my next pair. :( But... no problems with my Magnoli boots! :D ;)

Kind regards,
Magnoli
Indiana Jess
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jess »

I've been wearing my Alden's for a few years now (I do take them off before going to bed) and all they are the most comfortable shoes I've ever had. I had to get a second pair so that while one is being refurbished I still have another pair available. The only issue for me are the soles - no tread. They can be slippery in wet weather.
Indiana Jerry wrote: ...even those funky suede boots we wore in the 80's...
What's with this "we" business? :wink:
Indiana Jerry wrote: ... I have noticed they are not as good to me if I try to do heavy physical work in them ...
And how often is that? Or is that part of your plan to avoid physical work? "No Dear, I can't [insert your least favorite task here] , I have my Alden's on." :wink:
Ark Hunter
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Ark Hunter »

Personally I think the toung slippage is caused by the toung not being sewn in quite straight and maybe partially the shape of the foot. Both L & R shoes do it on my feet.
Scandinavia Jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Scandinavia Jones »

IndyDoc wrote:I haven't tried them in snow, but I doubt that they would work as well in it.
They don't work well in snow. Trust me. Wearing Aldens in the Swedish winter is hazardous, to say the least. You may actually slip and fall when standing still - no traction whatsoever. On top of that, the Aldens are uninsulated and very cold during winter.... the steel shanks do not make that any better...

Still, they're good boots. Comfortable, yes, to an extent - as mentioned above, the boots are on the heavy side and fatigue does set in if I walk about in them for an entire day. The 405's look cool and they are the original Indiana Jones boots though.
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jerry »

Indiana Jess wrote:
Indiana Jerry wrote: ...even those funky suede boots we wore in the 80's...
What's with this "we" business? :wink:
Michaelson left your yearbook lying around the server room...the perm was a daring look, btw. :roll: :wink:
Indiana Jess wrote:
Indiana Jerry wrote: ... I have noticed they are not as good to me if I try to do heavy physical work in them ...
And how often is that? Or is that part of your plan to avoid physical work? "No Dear, I can't [insert your least favorite task here] , I have my Alden's on." :wink:
:-$ :!: ;)

I had the tongue slippage problem (man, you have no IDEA how hard it is not to mock this topic) with only ONE of my Aldens at first - but after just pulling it into place after tightening up the laces for the first week or so, it formed to my foot and the laces, so after that it never moved again.

Following in the grand COW tradition of over-analyzing extreme bizarre everyday phenomena, I'd say it seems like it might also have something to do w/ the weight of the tongue vs. it's body (i.e., smooth supple leather that is also very slippery). I.e., it's a bit of a wet noodle and can slip until it wrinkles up a bit. (Leave it alone, Jess. ;) )
rick5150
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by rick5150 »

The Aldens are a great orthopedic shoe. Most of do not need orthopedic shoes. For real-life adventuring, I find them impractical as the soles are slippery on sand, smooth rocks and pine needles. More so than my favorite pair of Chippewas or even a pair of decent sneakers. For the money, you can get a more comfortable shoe, but how many of us would have chose the Alden 405's if not for Indy?
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jerry »

rick5150 wrote:The Aldens are a great orthopedic shoe. Most of do not need orthopedic shoes. For real-life adventuring, I find them impractical as the soles are slippery on sand, smooth rocks and pine needles. More so than my favorite pair of Chippewas or even a pair of decent sneakers. For the money, you can get a more comfortable shoe, but how many of us would have chose the Alden 405's if not for Indy?
hahaha...for my part, you got me on that one cleanly this time Rick. I gave you a hassle over the costume/clothing debate, but the Aldens? They were nowhere near my orbit until IndyGear, period.