My new whip (with extra pics)

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

My new whip (with extra pics)

Post by whiskyman »

edited
Last edited by whiskyman on Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

whip

Post by BendingOak »

congrats on you whip, it looks great. it's nice that he signed it. I'm curios to see what the people in the know say about the braid being loose and of a different size.
Darth V.A.D.E.R
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Darth V.A.D.E.R »

Yeah,
your whip looks great whiskyman!congrats :clap:
Take care :wink:
winrichwhips
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by winrichwhips »

When 80 years old you reach, braid so tight, you will not. :lol:

I bought a new Morgan made last year, and the braiding was fairly loose compared with braiding of other whipmakers, but it rolls out very nicely.

I like how the knots are darker on your whip. Very nice.

-Adam
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

edited
Last edited by whiskyman on Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
winrichwhips
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by winrichwhips »

The whip is fine. Pretty much all Morgans made now are just like the one you got. For the price you get the name. If you want tight and neat plaiting, there's other whipmakers to go to, however none of them have the name David Morgan.

So don't return it if you have hopes that you'll be able to exchange it for a better Morgan.

The handle on my 10 ft Morgan felt spongy, and I was a little worried, but after I put in some practice with it putting out candles (which it did very well) I came to accept the whip as it is.

-Adam
Bernardodc
Vendor

Post by Bernardodc »

That's a great looking whip!

About the all things you mentioned that you did not like about it, they are pretty standard to a Morgan whip these days. Nothing to worry about.

The sponginess or "give" in the handle is normal, and that is due to the strand width. (the strands are too wide). Both of my Morgans have that, as well as Adam's Morgan.

The XXX-wide strands are also a hallmark of Morgan whips, more so his latest whips. He does that intentionally. My second Morgan is just like yours, with heavy overlapping of the strands, and when he sent it, he said that the strands were cut wide, and he used a very heavy leather.

My latest Morgan came in a very small box, and it did not coil nicely when I took it out. However, it recovered its normal shape after a while, and coiled nicely after I did some cracking with it.

Morgan whips are not as tight as other whips, but they roll out and crack well. I'd say they are tight enough.

Overall, I like your whip very much. It doesn't get better than that.

Bernardo
Last edited by Bernardodc on Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

edited
Last edited by whiskyman on Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Herr Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Herr Jones »

When 80 years old you reach, braid so tight, you will not.
You should have expected or read about this somewhere in here, don't get me wrong I mean no disrespect to you or Mr. Morgan; however, just as you said,
I decided I had to have one before I miss the chance to have one made for me.
There are so many including myself who would love to have a whip made by THE MAN but are unable to for one reason or another. Anyway, I think it's a mighty fine whip, enjoy it!

Best,
Herr Jones
K on the run
Vendor

Post by K on the run »

Congratulations whiskyman. It looks exactly like my 8 foot Morgan and judging from your description it feels and handles like mine. I have a 10 foot Robert Duke and the 8 foot Morgan and the braiding is loose on the Morgan.
Pic's of mine here:
viewtopic.php?t=14251&highlight=

Enjoy

-K
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

edited
Last edited by whiskyman on Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
K on the run
Vendor

Post by K on the run »

I'll never part with mine either. It gives a certain feeling to know that it's a Morgan
-K
BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

Whiskyman, It sounds like the others have pretty much answered your questions in full and I concur with them. I can understand being a bit apprehensive that’s only natural, but don’t worry your whip is consistent with David’s work in the past few years. It’s a fine looking bullwhip, Enjoy it.

Dan
racerx
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by racerx »

Hey Whiskeyman, sweet looking Morgan, did you request a whitehide fall or did Mr. Morgan switch back to using them.

My old Morgan bullwhip has the redhide, just curious. I actually like the look of whitehide better :D

Cheers!

Jim J.
K on the run
Vendor

Post by K on the run »

racerx wrote:Hey Whiskeyman, sweet looking Morgan, did you request a whitehide fall or did Mr. Morgan switch back to using them.

My old Morgan bullwhip has the redhide, just curious. I actually like the look of whitehide better :D

Cheers!

Jim J.
Mine came (on Sep 28, 2005) with whitehide as well, no special request. I think it's standard now.
-K
Paul_Stenhouse
Vendor

Post by Paul_Stenhouse »

That whitehide may very well be the stuff I used to own. I gave David a big piece of it before I left for NZ. Trust me, it's good stuff!

Best Regards,

Paul Stenhouse
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

edited
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

edited
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

whip

Post by BendingOak »

those pics are very nice, I would keap it.
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

edited
Last edited by whiskyman on Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
ecwhips
Vendor

Post by ecwhips »

Paul_Stenhouse wrote:That whitehide may very well be the stuff I used to own. I gave David a big piece of it before I left for NZ. Trust me, it's good stuff!

Best Regards,

Paul Stenhouse
Wish I had known that, Paul. I would have bought some from you. I haven't been able to get my hands on any good whitehide lately.

Jim
Indakin
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indakin »

wiskyman that wip looks sooo good. The color looks nice and light in the sunlight, and much darker in the dimmer light, like in the well of the soals.
Paul_Stenhouse
Vendor

Post by Paul_Stenhouse »

Hi Jim,

Try Siegel of California, and go for the 14 oz weight. It's about 1/4 inch thick. The stuff I had didn't stretch at all.

Redhide does make a better color companion with a darker whip, to be sure. White stands out too much for my liking.

Best Regards,

Paul Stenhouse
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Bufflehead Jones »

Not after I use it and get it dirty! :whip:
midwestwhips
Vendor

Post by midwestwhips »

Hey Whiskyman,

Great looking whip!!!

I would love to see a bunch more pictures if you would be so inclined!

Also, who made the whip that you had before you got this morgan?

Regards,

Paul Nolan
MidWestWhips
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

edited
midwestwhips
Vendor

Post by midwestwhips »

Whiskyman,

Morgan's whips are much more rugged and not exactly all that pretty. And no offense ment to Mr. Morgan, but he really doesn't make the BEST whip, nowadays anyway.

To me, part of what makes an indy whip an INDY whip is the ruggedness. The strands being bevelled on opposite corners, the strands being a little too wide. Very simple knots, etc...

The beveling on the underside makes a much smoother finish and the laces set in much much nicer. But that isn't Indy Style, it doesn't give it the same indy look.

And Hey Whiskyman, if you want to get rid of your Morgan, let me know. :-)

Regards,

Paul Nolan
MidWestWhips
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

edited
BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

The old saying they just don’t make them like they used to applies to David’s bullwhips. While they are still great rugged whips, they have changed too much for my personal taste. Years back they where plaited tighter, had a much smoother feel and better overall uniformity to them.

Dan
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

edited
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

edited
Last edited by whiskyman on Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

Good luck for the next one whiskyman. How did the morgan crack anyway? :D
BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

whiskyman, It is an unfortunate and expensive situation to say the least and I am sorry to hear of your disappointment. While I am sure many out there would be very happy to have that bullwhip, perhaps you can atleast break even with it at some point, but I understand your position. I don’t particularly care for the bullwhips David has been making in the last few years and that is why I don’t buy his bullwhips anymore. They aren’t bad, they just are what they are and he makes them the way he wants and not the way I want. Considering your disappointment with the bullwhip you should contact David Morgan and in the very least let him know you are unhappy with his work and why.

Dan
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

Dan is right, you tell this to David Morgan and I think Mr Morgan could even refund you.
The_Edge
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by The_Edge »

Whiskyman,

It has all ready been stated but I just want to reiterate that DM's whips are not meant to be pretty. Morgan himself will confirm this. He builds them to be rugged, hence the super wide strands. I don't think David makes a bad whip. Just a different type with his own signature style.

I have two suggestions for you. Take them with a grain of salt.

1.) Stretch the whip.
Lay the whip on a soft surface (carpet) and place a towel over the middle of the thong. Put on some soft soled shoes (slippers might work) and stand on the thong and the towel with the whip extending out to your left and right. Reach down and pick up each end gripping it about six inches from the point (don't grip the fall) and about a foot from the handle junction. (Actually, where you end up gripping it depends on your height. But I don't suggest gripping any closer to the junction.) Now stand up and pull tight on each end of the whip against your feet. You shouldn't have to do this more than a couple times. Don't do this at the junction or near the fall. This will take some slack out of the whip.

Don't worry about ruining the whip. DM showed me this trick himself and I've done it several times. No need to pull with all your might. Nice and easy but hard will do it.

2.) Roll the whip.
Find a clean and flat hard surface like a long table, floor, etc. Put a two or three foot length of butcher paper down and place your uncoiled whip on it lay straight out. Then take a two or three foot length of 2x4 (clean with no splinters, nails, staples, etc. Some folks use a car spring.) and wrap it in butcher paper. The butcher paper is for absorbing any oils that may cause the thong to slip rather than roll. It also provides a clean surface.

Now starting at the junction, use the board to press hard on the whip and roll it back and forth between the board and the hard surface. Do this all the way down the thong to the fall hitch. You can even roll the handle and knots but I don't suggest pressing very hard. Oh, and I use the board perpendicular to the whip. I get more leverage that way but some prefer it parallel.

Now lightly grease up the whip with some Pecards or whatever you use and I think you'll be pleased with the results.
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

edited
Last edited by whiskyman on Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
The_Edge
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by The_Edge »

whiskyman wrote:Funnily enough I did roll the whip like you described as I thought this step might have been missed. It didn't make any difference though.

I don't want to pass back any negative feedback to Mr. Morgan. I'm very sure he would allow me to return the whip, but having paid a lot of import tax it wouldn't be worth my while dong so.

As for his style of whipmaking, I was aware of that - I've devoured both of his books. But the wide strands are taken to to much of an extreme in this whip - at least in my opinion. And having handled older Morgan whips, I don't believe all the inconsitancies are intentional. The man is getting on a bit!
I'm sorry that it didn't work out for you. I hope you eventually find the whip that works best for you.
astroboy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by astroboy »

looks good to me..congrats..