Ford soon to be wearing an AB....and new info..pics!!

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Dutch_jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Dutch_jones »

Hey Steve ,

are you gonna share the photo with us if you get one ?
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

are you gonna share the photo with us if you get one ?

Why of course!! What good would it be, if I could not show it off? :lol: I would even include a copy with each hat, as I am capable of scanning and printing photos, unlike burning dvds. If I do not get the contract, it would be great if the photos occurred on set, so we could see him in my hat. If I get the contract, I would be happy with just him wearing civies and having his picture snapped with it on his noggin. Either way is a win win for me. Fedora
JerseyJones
Vendor

Post by JerseyJones »

Fedora wrote:
Steve, you realize that the nice smoothly transitioned deminsional cut you put on your hats isn't totally Raiders accurate; you should have just chopped a bit off the sides with scissors and left it chunky, Swales style
Yeah, I saw some of those cuts first hand over the years. And Darthjones mentioned how when he saw the original Raider's fedora on display, that the brim was buggered up. Really, to be accurate you should just eye how much you want to take off and then just start cutting. If you leave little bumps at the transition, all the better I guess. My own hats are like this as I do not take the trouble to mark the brim off, I just cut. Personally, I do not care how smooth the transition is, as long as it is not too noticable. With that said, I cannot see a real rough cut on the films hats, at least not something that would jump out at ya. Perhaps the film is kind to things of this nature.

On the dimensional cuts, I think Marc does the smoothest one I have seen, that was done by hand. At least the hat he sent over here sure had a real pretty cut. But, his may be like my own. Some are better, or smoother than others. The one that I sent to Harrison was great, but this was partly due to the stiff brim. A stiff brim, is easier to get a smooth cut on, than a floppy brim, in my experience anyways. Fedora
I feel your pain on the dimensional cuts Fedora. The Camptown's that I send out dimensional are done by me by hand and then the transition bumps are gently sanded smooth. No complaints yet. :wink:

Best of luck my friend ! We shall talk very soon !

JJ
Antone
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Antone »

Steve and JerseyJones, I was mostly being sarcastic in case that wasn't clear. I actually prefer the smoother transitions that you guys do over what I hear Swales sometimes did, but I don't care if it's totally perfect either. There's a fine line between intentional minor imperfections which add character and just plain slop, and from everything I've seen you guys stay well within the first category :D

Antone
Dakota Ellison
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dakota Ellison »

Here's one example of the rough-cut brim:
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Dakota Ellison wrote:Here's one example of the rough-cut brim
I dunno, looks pretty smooth to me, but those big yellow letters have to go. :wink:
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Indy... phone hooooome... :lol:
Fedoraman
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Fedoraman »

Dakota Ellison wrote:Here's one example of the rough-cut brim:
Except for the fact that could be a Stetson so Swales would have not touched that one... :-s
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

News on the AB and the next Indy film. It seems my friend has cracked the egg. They want to see my hats, in person, instead of just looking at the pics I sent. Would you believe the folks had forgot the brim was turned in the Raiders film? Yep, I just woke them up, and I hope in a good way. Regards, Fedora
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Fedora wrote:News on the AB and the next Indy film. It seems my friend has cracked the egg. They want to see my hats, in person, instead of just looking at the pics I sent. Would you believe the folks had forgot the brim was turned in the Raiders film? Yep, I just woke them up, and I hope in a good way. Regards, Fedora
WOOHOOOO!!!!! \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

Attaboy, Steve!!! :clap: :tup:
that_dog
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by that_dog »

Congratulations yet again, Steve. You've got your foot in the door, and given the overall quality, look, and attention to detail shown in your hat, I would be shocked if they decided to stay the course with making the hats themselves instead of going with the Adventurebilt. But I'm keeping my fingers crossed anyway! (And not just because I have another hat on order with you! :wink: 8) )

P.S. One question I had is the use of beaver felt... if I understand correctly, the original HJs for Raiders were rabbit, or a blend. As far as distressing the hat and how it looks and performs on screen, are there any issues in your opinion with beaver v. rabbit/blend?
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Hey, Steve, you think they'll get a kick out of the liner design? :wink:
The real Henry
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by The real Henry »

I don't know, maybe they want it to be changed! :?
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

I'd hope not. Besides, you know how cool it would be to have Indy wear a hat with that design in it, especially if you got a quick screen shot of it like in LC? What an inside joke that would be!
Ace
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Ace »

Fedora wrote:News on the AB and the next Indy film. It seems my friend has cracked the egg. They want to see my hats, in person, instead of just looking at the pics I sent. Would you believe the folks had forgot the brim was turned in the Raiders film? Yep, I just woke them up, and I hope in a good way. Regards, Fedora
Waahuuuu, this is great news Steve. So does "In person" mean like they will come and knock at your door to see the hats ? or perhaps Harrison will pick you up in his heli. and bring you to the Top Men ? :D

Cheers Ace
Dakota Ellison
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dakota Ellison »

Holy Mother of Weapons of Mass Destruction!!!!!!! Way to go!!!!!
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Bufflehead Jones »

Ace wrote:
Waahuuuu, this is great news Steve. So does "In person" mean like they will come and knock at your door to see the hats ? or perhaps Harrison will pick you up in his heli. and bring you to the Top Men ? :D

Cheers Ace
I think that they mean, to see the hat in person...er...would that be in beaver? Anyway, after they see the hat, eventually, they would probably want to see Steve in person and discuss the hat and the contract with him. It wouldn't be much for them to fly him out there. That would be soooooo cool.
J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

Oh man, this just keeps getting better and better!!!! :D
Nicht Storen
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Nicht Storen »

I agree. It just gets better and better. :clap:
Flattery
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Flattery »

News on the AB and the next Indy film. It seems my friend has cracked the egg. They want to see my hats, in person, instead of just looking at the pics I sent. Would you believe the folks had forgot the brim was turned in the Raiders film? Yep, I just woke them up, and I hope in a good way.
Every AB owner out there knows that once an AB is in your hands, on your head, or even in the same room with you, it is impossible to reject.

You've done it, Steve. Either way you look at it, this is a tremendous success, and I'm overflowing with happiness for you. Well done, and way to go! :clap:
Last edited by Flattery on Thu May 04, 2006 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ripper
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ripper »

Absolutely fabulous news!! Congratulations!! \:D/
Cassidy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Cassidy »

I used to post here a lot, and then sort of fell out of practice. I sold all of gear except for my Wested and my Aldens, but check back in every now and then.

This was worth coming out of retirement for. Holy @#$%ing @!#$.

Amazing news - who would have thought that the boulder set rolling so many years ago when this hobby was in its' infancy would result in this. Wow. I think I have a new found hope for humanity.

First, the Star Wars Original Theatrical Trilogy on DVD and now this...
Serial Hero
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Serial Hero »

Every AB owner out there knows that once an AB is in your hands, on your head, or even in the same room with you, it is impossible to reject. Once it's in the room, it doesn't leave.
But what if you want to wear it outside? :-s

And because I just saw these:
;0
Flattery
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Flattery »

But what if you want to wear it outside?
Ehm... sorry, that's not what I meant. My word choice has been lacking lately -- very busy. Anyway, previous post edited.
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

Well, this does just keep getting better and better. I supose Fedora is waiting for someone to pinch him and tell him it's time to wake up! :)

IF you get to meet them in person Fedora we will need pics of that too. ;)

By the way I just heard that if Fedora gets the contract he will celebrate by giving every member of COW a free AB! Hahahah......Now who's dreaming. :lol: :wink:
Ark Hunter
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Ark Hunter »

Don't for get to get all of COW invited to set for some stunt doubling. ;)
IndyTaz
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndyTaz »

:D I wanted to say wow and congrats too Steve!!! I hope it all goes well and u get what u deserve:) In a nice way of course lol

I luv my AB...we need bumper stickers Steve.

Regards
TAZ
IndyTaz
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndyTaz »

:D
JerseyJones
Vendor

Post by JerseyJones »

Antone wrote:Steve and JerseyJones, I was mostly being sarcastic in case that wasn't clear. I actually prefer the smoother transitions that you guys do over what I hear Swales sometimes did, but I don't care if it's totally perfect either. There's a fine line between intentional minor imperfections which add character and just plain slop, and from everything I've seen you guys stay well within the first category :D

Antone
Bless you my friend. I try and I KNOW Steve does too.

JJ
kalkamel
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by kalkamel »

To quote a famous line: This will be a day long remembered! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Last Crusader
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Last Crusader »

Congratulations, Steve. Now you and the members of COW will become part of the Indiana Jones History! :tup:
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

I knew this day would have arrived sooner or later! :D
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

erri_wan wrote:I knew this day would have arrived sooner or later! :D
What, May the 5th? It comes around every year, erri. :wink:
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

No, the opening day of M:i:III of course!
Dutch_jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Dutch_jones »

and the celebration of freedom because exactly 61 years ago Holland got liberated from the germans:D
Ark Hunter
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Ark Hunter »

And don't forget cinco de mayo.
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

Congratulations, Steve. Now you and the members of COW will become part of the Indiana Jones History!
Ummmm...what do any of the rest of us have to do with this? Are the rest of you all making hats behind my back? :lol:
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

agent5 wrote:
Congratulations, Steve. Now you and the members of COW will become part of the Indiana Jones History!
Ummmm...what do any of the rest of us have to do with this? Are the rest of you all making hats behind my back? :lol:
What, you didn't get the memo? :wink:
Last Crusader
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Last Crusader »

Well, without the help, support and all the suggestions to make the AB better and better by all the Indy fans around here in COW the AB fedora would not be what it is today(don´t want to diminish the work Steve put into this project :wink: ).
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

Well, we've certainly supprted the AB by buying it. But what have we suggested in terms of improvements - and how has Steve devolped his hat based on our input? To my mind, he and Marc worked out how to build the AB - and we just appreciate it.
Last Crusader
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Last Crusader »

If I remember right, not long ago 3thoubucks gave Steve the idea to add a bit more dome on his blocks. Steve did it and the AB even became closer to the original look. Now, if that´s not a perfect example for support by COW members :D

But I´m going off-topic here 8-[
3thoubucks
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by 3thoubucks »

Steve's 7 1/4 block (Ford hat) and some other sizes, already had the extra dome. It was missing from some other sizes because his block maker left if out. - If there wasn't a gear community like COW, with it's many members, there might not be an AB.
Russ
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Russ »

Fedora wrote:Would you believe the folks had forgot the brim was turned in the Raiders film?
Then my concern about this very thing was not unfounded after all. Glad it's out in the open, and there is an understanding about the turn.
Modern Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist
Location: Currently being torn in 20 directions, at once! (As usual ....)

Post by Modern Jones »

For 7 pages worth of postings, my jaw has been wide open! I have been in the process of changing jobs and recertifying for my job for the past month and a half. I log back into COW and this post is on fire!!! :shock:

Congrats to you Steve!!! I hope at the very least you get a photo, if not the whole deal of being the official provider. It'll be great to see of of the hard work and speculation for the fedora design pay off in the biggest way!!! :D

I wanted to pile on a huge congratualtions on top of everybody elses. I know not everything is set in stone yet, but what progress and what a joy!

Did your website contribute to getting found for this? I know there has been emails back and forth.

High Regards,

MJ (Eric)
Mystique
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

The stuff legends are made of...

Post by Mystique »

Wow what an exciting venue!!! Fedora you are one lucky fellow. These sort of things are what makes a hobby into a most fulfilling milestone... Look at Mr. Ford's beginnings as a carpenter. A few nice words and chance meetings make the careers of movie personages. Who knows maybe in the scheme of things this will prove the stuff legends are made of??? Congratulations and it couldn't have happened to a nicer guy
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

To my mind, he and Marc worked out how to build the AB - and we just appreciate it.
BINGO!

I'm not trying to say I don't appreciate COW, it's just that Steve and Marc did and are still doing all the work. Because the forum exists is not any reason to say anyone but Steve or Marc deserve credit here where it is due. They've put in their dues trying to get it all right...they make them and sell them so I just don't think anyone else here is due any credit. But that's just me. If any of the rest of you want to pat yourself on the back simply for being a part of the AB's history, go right ahead and do it again. :lol:

I'm just waiting to see what these people say about Indy 4. \:D/
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Update. Ford is being chased down, for the presentation and one of my hats will be in the hands of the proper folks this coming week. That is the last news I have. Now, hurry up and wait, I guess. When I get the pics of Ford putting on the AB, you will see it here first. Now, the thing is, if I am accepted, I dunno what I will be allowed to say publically. So, if you guys ask questions and I do not answer, it is not my fault. But, if I am turned down, that you will know. This is the only thing that I can do. If I am given the go ahead to announce, you can bet I will post it here.

Now, on the origins of the AB Raiders fedora, both the AB and AB Deluxe, all I can say is without certain folks here, the hat would not exist. All of my data came from this site. 3M$ duct tape fedora started it all for me. I figured if he could make a hat in tape that looked so much like the film hat, I should be able to learn how to do it in felt. Sure, me and Marc did the work, but without this site and the fans here, my hat would still be just an idea. And in the end, the turn of the Raiders fedora may be the deciding factor. The folks currently working on the project missed this very important element. They dove into their data base and pulled up photos, and whammo!! So without us, the hat for the next film would have been worn like the other two Indy hats. I just hope my hats look better than the in house hats, but who knows?? Hopefully I will, in a while. I just hope I will be able to spred the word if that does come to pass. Thanks guys. Fedora
kalkamel
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by kalkamel »

Good luck, Steve!
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Hemingway Jones »

Wow! Steve, I truly believe that is the best hat I have ever seen you make. It is a wondrous thing, truly amazing. :clap:

This is such an amazing project and I wish you all the best with it. Bravo!