To Distress or Not to Distress? Pics Posted!

Discuss technique for prolonging the life of your gear or giving it that aged look

Moderator: Dalexs

ij1936
Archaeologist
Archaeologist
Location: Lost in the Temple of Doom 'cause I went right instead of left!!!

To Distress or Not to Distress? Pics Posted!

Post by ij1936 »

That is the question with which I am torn :? I cannot decide if I should age my new TOD jacket (and my LC jacket when I get it)! Thoughts? Feelings? Opinions?
Last edited by ij1936 on Wed Apr 13, 2005 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JAN
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by JAN »

This is what splits this forum...

My opinion is that Indy-gear should look like Indy-gear and not like some
fine dress-jacket, shoes, fedora ect. ect.

I You wanna have Your gear screaming "INDIANA JONES" distressing is the way to go.
I feel it that way when "demolishing" a pair of Alden´s (and they dont come cheap on my side of the Great Water).. would I have bourght these
boots (or fedora, or jacket, or pants ect. ect.) if they where not a part of the Indy-universe.

And my answer is always "no". That´s why I find it very easy to distress my gear with sandpaper, bricks, brickwalls and what ever comes along.

Distressing is not to ruin You stuff - it is to make it look like we all love, like on Indiana Jones.

Hit it :twisted:

Best regards

JAN
Alabama Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: To Distress or Not to Distress?

Post by Alabama Jones »

ij1936 wrote:That is the question with which I am torn :? I cannot decide if I should age my new TOD jacket (and my LC jacket when I get it)! Thoughts? Feelings? Opinions?
Since you've obviously got the bug to distress and bought TWO, I'd (If I were you) distress one (LC) and maybe leave the TOD to age naturally.
ij1936
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by ij1936 »

I am leaning towards aging, but it SOOOOOO time consuming! I gues I'll have to get out the palm sander and some nice 16 girt paper!! :D :lol:
Scandinavia Jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Scandinavia Jones »

In case you're planning to use both aceton/rubbing alcohol and sandpaper, remember to rub the jacket first, sand later. Otherwise, your sanding efforts will be lost when the rubbing moves back the dye to the sanded parts...

I would recommend a rubbing session to begin with - a merely sanded jacket may look a bit weird - the distressing might look forced. Try to remove some of that "new jacket" shine with either of the chemicals mentioned above. The rubbing will dull the jacket and move the dye around, thus create a worn look... try it in moderation to begin with, and once you get the hang of it, go crazy... :wink:
Indiana Jarmyr
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana Jarmyr »

When I bought my pair of Aldens I was dead set on distressing the h*ll out of them. But when they arrived, I took a good look at them and realized I would never be able to hurt these babies. So instead of distressing them, I am taking better care of these than any pair of shoes I have ever owned before. So, my point is, you might want to wait to decide what to do until you receive the jackets. You might find yourself doing the opposite thing of distressing. :D
Scandinavia Jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Scandinavia Jones »

Good point Mr. Jarmyr... actually, the Aldens are the one piece of gear I won't force-distress. Shoes are delicate creatures, and it's easy to accidentally compromise their structural integrity - I'd rather do that the natural way.

The jacket is another story, though... but, naturally: to each his own... :D
ij1936
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by ij1936 »

I've had three four pairs of Aldens and I have never aged them. Wearing them on a daily basis does wonders for the aging process. I think for now I'll forgo aging the jackets until I have a little bit more drive. I love the way they smell and feel!
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

True with the Aldens. Mine aren't even a year old, yet when I recently visited the store where I bought them, one of the workers said "Now there's a pair that are a few years old." When she found out the truth, it shocked her.

I like to age my gear naturally, through use. I just can't bring myself to age it any other way. Just wear it a lot and see what happens! :lol:

bink
J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

I'm with Bink on this one. I just can't bring myself to distress my Wested. But I wear mine hiking every chance I get. There's a lot of heavy under brush in my area that will do a great job of natural distressing.
IndyFrench
Writer of Things

Post by IndyFrench »

Just wear it. Don't prematurely age it.

(MK, I know we're friends. Don't hit me for not endorsing the acetone process.)
Renderking Fisk
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Renderking Fisk »

ij1936 wrote:them. Wearing them on a daily basis does wonders for the aging process. I think for now I'll forgo aging the jackets until I have a little bit more drive. I love the way they smell and feel!
Back in the 1980's, some of my gear was second hand and was already broken in. There were times when I wished that the stuff was all brand new so I could break it in myself and get more life out of it.

I see prematurly aging gear as a means of shortening the life of the items you buy. A lot of the stuff isn't cheap and money's hard to come by and it's going to get worse with gas prices shooting throught he roof.

I buy the gear items to actually use, and I'm assuming that for many people here, Gear isn't just a hobby but an aspect of a life style.

If you actually wear the gear regularly you're going to find that it's all going to fit better AND look better then if you destressed it using artfical means.

I'm just saying this because I want everyone's gear to last.
Ken
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Ken »

Its all about compromise. If you age the jackets the way the prop people did for the film you will probably destroy the jacket. But if you do it carefully you can recreate the look of the jackets on screen without causing any structural damage to the jacket and thus not affect its life.

It all depends on to what extent you want to replciate what you see on screen and even this changes from film to film and scene to scene. Just compare the Raiders temple opening scene with a jacket from the truck chase sequence!

Ken
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

Bingo,
Indiana Ken wrote:
But if you do it carefully you can recreate the look of the jackets on screen without causing any structural damage to the jacket and thus not affect its life.
It's all in how you disstress the jacket, (never my Alden) I purchased a Auth Brown Goat, and at first I wore it about a month without doing anything to it. Then I watched Raiders and I looked at my nice "shiney" jacket and said to my self ok let's think about.
1st all I wanted to do was get rid of the shine, alcohol was used to do this, took some off but not alot. Few weeks later I hit with a rub down of Acetone, this really dulled it down but you have to be careful. A few more weeks and I started distressing it w/220 grit sand paper. Over the period of about 2 months I sanded it a little at a time to give it more distressing job and not done all in one day. Then I used a heavier sand paper and swiped at it lightly in some area and heavier in others.
One important note is to always be careful of any sewn areas, these ares I treat very carefully.
All in all I'm pleased with out come. The jacket dosn't show loads of distressed areas but it does show.

So if you take the plunge theres alots of ways to do it. Just be careful, these are not cheap jackets.

Heres a shot of my jacket about a month ago.
http://public.fotki.com/IndianaCroft/my ... n3625.html
Croft
Swindiana
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Swindiana »

There's just something about how the sleeves wrinkle on goat, I almost thought I saw my own jacket in those shots. Beautiful! :D

Regards,
Swindiana
ij1936
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by ij1936 »

I distressed my jacket yesterday. I could not help myself...I felt drawn to the need to make this jacket look like I've gone through :twisted: and back!
Ken
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Ken »

ij1936 wrote:I distressed my jacket yesterday. I could not help myself...I felt drawn to the need to make this jacket look like I've gone through :twisted: and back!
Hey credit to you for the bravery and I empathise with your feelings exactly, it IS easy to give into the temptation.

How did it turn out?

Ken
Ken
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Ken »

Rabittooth

As always your gear looks superb! I love your ingenious method of leather distressing and amazing it holds up, even after the boots were submerged in water!!

I can never thank you enough for the job you did on those boots.

Ken
ij1936
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by ij1936 »

Indiana Ken wrote:
ij1936 wrote:I distressed my jacket yesterday. I could not help myself...I felt drawn to the need to make this jacket look like I've gone through :twisted: and back!
Hey credit to you for the bravery and I empathise with your feelings exactly, it IS easy to give into the temptation.

How did it turn out?

Ken
Well, I was going to take a few pictures outside but my camera did not want to cooperate. I am extremely :evil: :evil: :evil: So....... Let's just say there was an unfortunate accident and the camera is unable to comply with picture taking. I'm going to replace the camera tomorrow and if I can figure out how to use it, I'll post a pic or two.
ij1936
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by ij1936 »

Well here's the results! :D

Whadda ya think?

60 grit sandpaper, palm sander and a controlled touch!
IndyBlues
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndyBlues »

Hey ij1936, I think you're off to a good start, but you need to do some more distressing. There are still some areas that look a little TOO new, while others have some nice distressing. Notice the shiny areas in your pics.
Also, you may want to go down to a #200 grit sandpaper, and go over the jacket completely. Just beware of the stitching.
The #200 paper will not take off as much finish, but will dull the shine alot more.
Distressing an indy jacket is one of those things....you either go for it all the way, or leave it alone.
Good job, just keep going.
'Blues
Indiana Texas-girl
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Indiana Texas-girl »

I'm with Blues. The distressed parts look good but there are some areas that need some more distressing to balance it out...sleeves and middle of the back downwards. You're braver than I.
Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Canyon »

ij1936, looks great! :D
Rabittooth
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Rabittooth »

I hope you won't take any offense to some constructive criticism.
I'd put the sandpaper down and get some acetone. That'll make the jacket look evenly aged and not spottily beaten up, which is what it appears you have there to a certain degree, although I know photos can sometimes be inaccurate to the way the jacket really looks. 8)

-Rabittooth
ij1936
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by ij1936 »

Thanks for the input. I see what you mean about the "shiny" areas Rabbitooth, and I did go over the jacket with the sander when I initially "abused" the jacket. It is a work in progress. All the jackets that I've "abused" in this manner have gone through this process. As far as acetone I don't have the patience to sit there and remove a wee bit of color and the odor is intolerable. Besides, Indy's jacket (in my humble opinion) is "abused" not aged. TOD has (again in my humble opinion) the quintessential Jones jacket: it looks like @$#&! That's where I'm headed! This "abusing" will take a while!
Dr._J
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Call me Crazy...

Post by Dr._J »

Hey all,

Today I took some acetone to my Lambskin Wested! I have had this jacket for over a year and always contemplated "whether to weather" or leave it be. Since there's been a lull in my Indygear collecting and I was bored, I thought I would go for it! First, I used rubbing alcohol to dull the shine and then I set in with the acetone. At first, I was wary (and scared!) because the dye came off inconsistantly and uneasily. After a while though, I got the hang of it and it was really fun! Some advice I can offer is beware of what's beneath your jacket. Do not do the acetone work on your jacket if it's on a textured surface (stucco, brick, etc.). An ideal place is on an ironing board. Just make sure it doesn't have a metal crisscross pattern under the foam pad. It WILL show up as a pattern in the leather! Learned that one the hard way, folks. Also, I didn't use sandpaper on the seams. Just use acetone! It looks just as aged and doesn't harm the leather! After I was done, I wiped the whole thing down with Pecards Leather Lotion. Trust me, it needs it after the drying effects of the acetone! It's one of those things that has to be experienced personally to understand. I did get some tips from our own (though he's been MIA from COW lately) Koreana AKA Indiana Jun. Thanks Man. Also, a big thanks to Rabbittooth. It's his beautiful, distressed Wested that made me go for it!

I will post pics as soon as I'm able!

Regards, Dr. J
Last edited by Dr._J on Mon Apr 25, 2005 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feraud
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Feraud »

ij1936's jacket looks good but I am too scared to do that to my little lamb!
:)
I will just have some patience and hope to get dragged behind a truck..wait, that doesn't sound right!! :lol: You all know what I mean!!
Dr._J
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Dr._J »

As far as acetone I don't have the patience to sit there and remove a wee bit of color and the odor is intolerable.
By the way, I did this distressing outside and the smell was not intolerable but undetectable. Plus, it only took less than three hours! :D

Regards, Dr. J
Shawnkara
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shawnkara »

The thing with the Raiders jacket, it never seemed to my eye to have faded/distressed seams. For the most part (again, only to MY eye) to just be really dull and to have some fine wrinkling/creasing. And of course the odd folded pocket flap corner and the like. In the Well of Souls/truck chase sequences it's mostly just dusty.
astroboy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by astroboy »

You just gotta distress! Just gotta !!