Dragging behind a truck...or your two friends

Discuss technique for prolonging the life of your gear or giving it that aged look

Moderator: Dalexs

Ghos7a55assin
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Dragging behind a truck...or your two friends

Post by Ghos7a55assin »

*sigh* High school boredom does weird things to you. I was thinking of ways to distress a lambskin jacket aritificially, but doing things that are more natural. I wanted to avoid the acetone and sandpaper. Then, I was walkin through the courtyard of my school and saw this low wall of gravel held together by concrete. "Hmm..this could act as sandpaper..." and then I saw the floor was also quite rough.
Hmm...after reading how Molorom was diving on concrete and other crazy stunts to distress his cowhide, I started thinking. So...the next day I wore my old A-2 goatskin to school and I said to my friends Kendrick and Allison: "Remember that scene in Raiders when he's dragging behind the truck?" They nodded. "Well let's try it." Well, not exactly, but they took me by the legs and drag me a good 2 or 3 feet across the stone tiles on the floor on my back.
The result: A good scrape along the back portion of the jacket and also on the sleeves. I don't recommend it, as my jacket is going to be lambskin, and wouldn't hold up. I was just lucky my jacket was tough enough. With my weight on top of it, I think the scraping took off a bit too much flesh off the jacket. Still not a big deal, but too deep for a lambskin jacket.
Back to the drawing board...
Ken
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Ken »

Funny you mention this...

Me and Ian had this idea in the Sahara being dragged behind the Toyota landcruiser. There a few things I would say to anyone doing this:

1) Usual disclaimer bla bla my expeience only if you ruij your jacket your own fault bla bla

2) make sure you use a rope. I did it first time without and just holding onto the bumper/fender on the back and that meant my shoulders and arms werent in contact with the ground so that part didnt get the dragging truck distressing treatment

3) Works great on the back of the jacket, BUT beware when lying on your front. The press studs on the pocket flaps are the most raised part of the jacket so the leather here will tear off first and expose them in a uniform shape. I noticed just in time so it doesnt look too bad (actually I like how it looks) but this could be the biggest problem.

4) It will TEAR the leather in places (not substantially but it will be torn rather than just scrathced)

I would definitly say dont do this in lambskin if this is my experience with goat. However I love the overall results and you can see them in the film as its the same jacket.

Ken
Mola Ram
Vendor

Post by Mola Ram »

:lol:

I wouldent say i scraped on the pavement,
it was more like a really really long roll. haha.....
Colby
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Colby »

Luckily I have dirt roads that look just like the road off raiders. Maybe someday I'll get brave enough to get dragged down the road by a truck! :D
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

...can you imagine what people must think of us? Some LucasFilm rep. is browsing the board, and what's this they see? Fans are even going so far as to arrange to be dragged behind trucks so that the jacket will look like Indy's? Wow... well, go report that to Uncle George, and see what he thinks.

:roll: :lol: We're all awesome. :lol:

In Christ,
Shane
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

Ken why don't you show us a pic of your drag scene? :D:D:D:D:D
Floribama Steve
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Floribama Steve »

After paying $250 dollars for a jacket, it's hard for me to believe why anyone would want to "distress" it artificially instead of just going on an adventure and letting nature take it's course.
Dre
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dre »

hehe "with friends like those..."

but anyway...i can see why people would distress theirs. the jackets do look really new and not totally indy as a 'real' indy jacket is distressed. however, im not going to artificially distress mine as i wish to have it for a long time, and it'll distress eventually. though one thing i would like is for my tod goatskin not to be so shiny
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel
Location: DBSSWWD ~ "This is how we say goodbye to MIMES in Germany!"

Post by Indiana Jerry »

erri_wan wrote:Ken why don't you show us a pic of your drag scene? :D:D:D:D:D
Oh, come on, I really don't want to see Ken in drag, do you? :shock:

Oh, you meant...okay, nevermind. :oops: In that case, just go look at the ToT trailer again - that was in California, not the Sahara, but there's the stunt. ;)
astroboy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by astroboy »

I tried getting dragged behind a 4WD for a while...I couldn't hang on for more than a meter or two, my hands kept giving out. Maybe asphalt has too much friction and the dirt in Egypt allows you to get dragged easier??
I don't know...