replacement for alden laces

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

hanson
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by hanson »

Recently, I had to replace my shoe laces in my aldens. I got the wife to pick up 2 pair at walmart. I told her to make sure they would fit 9 hole shoes. To my suprise, she bought Shoe Gear casual 40" laces. They are unconditionally guaranteed etc, by Rhode Island Textile Co. PObox 999 Pawtucket, Rhode Island 02862. You can get them in various sizes, including 45". They are round casual laces, made in USA. I kept the 40's because I don't use the top 2 hooks. I believe they are screen accurate because I know I have seen them in HF's in at least 1 of the movies. Regards hanson.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Another one for consideration is the 45 inch flat browns made by Michellace Shoe co. of Portsmouth, Ohio.....when you can find them. :roll: :wink:

I was born and raised in Portsmouth, and never EVER saw a pair of shoelaces made by this company, and they've been there for decades. I move to Tennessee, and their laces can be found EVERYWHERE around here. Go figure. #-o

Regard! Michaelson
randystokes
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by randystokes »

Or, you can just call Alden's shop in San Francisco and they'll mail you replacement laces for something like $4.50 per pair. I'm a bit compulsive when it comes to having spares or replacements on hand for just about anything (ask my spare wife [just kidding!]), so I have about three pair on hand right now.

Randy
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel
Location: DBSSWWD ~ "This is how we say goodbye to MIMES in Germany!"

Post by Indiana Jerry »

I kept tearing right through the Alden laces, I finally gave up and picked up some dark brown boot laces at the drugstore. Accurate? No. Still replacing them weekly now? NO!
rebelgtp
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by rebelgtp »

i had the same problem with my alden laces so i just got some round hiking boot laces. they work great and i doubt they will break anytime soon and at $1.99 and being able to pick them up local i can't complain.
hanson
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by hanson »

This is what i like to hear. Guys coming up with replacement parts, accurate or not, that don't cost an arm or leg, that are US made and available anywhere 24 hrs a day in walmarts case, that are the same or higher quality as the originals. I now keep at least 1 pair handy all the time.I think my wife said they were $.99 or maybe $1.49 a pair, so i didn't have to pay her back. What a lucky guy i am. Regards hanson.
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Bufflehead Jones »

The Aldens store in Washington D.C. is the only factory OWNED Aldens store. If you happen to have bought your boots from them, they will send you laces anytime that you need them for free, for as long as you own the boots.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Humm. I wonder if the San Francisco Alden shop is company owned too.

I forget. :-s

Regards! Michaelson
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Bufflehead Jones »

No, it is a privately owned store, from what I was told by Aldens.
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jerry »

Bufflehead Jones wrote:If you happen to have bought your boots from them, they will send you laces anytime that you need them for free, for as long as you own the boots.
Hmm...then I'd need them to set me up a subscription, so they'd just keep coming weekly... ;)
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Bufflehead Jones wrote:The Aldens store in Washington D.C. is the only factory OWNED Aldens store. If you happen to have bought your boots from them, they will send you laces anytime that you need them for free, for as long as you own the boots.
You know, I didn't purchase my first pair from them, but they sent me some replacement laces anyway. When I got my black Aldens from the DC store, they even gave me a pair of backup laces. Great people there!
Ark Hunter
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Ark Hunter »

Yeah, I have a hard time finding any flat brown laces that are long enough (besides from Alden). I've found very few even online let alone locally. One old guy at a local shoe repair shop even said they had stoped making flat laces. (though I've seen them around)

The guy I bought my Aldens from had an extra pair that came with them also, but they were about twice as wide as the "normal" ones. (and longer than the ones that were in them) So I used them on my Deckers. :)
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jerry »

IndyDoc wrote:Yeah, I have a hard time finding any flat brown laces that are long enough (besides from Alden). I've found very few even online let alone locally. One old guy at a local shoe repair shop even said they had stoped making flat laces. (though I've seen them around)
I'd actually like to try some leather laces...might not be feasible, but I'd like to try it once.

J
S William
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by S William »

Hey,

A few days ago I e-mailed Alden's company website about laces. They e-mailed back with the message to give them my home address and they would send me the laces.

S William
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Indiana Jerry wrote:
IndyDoc wrote:Yeah, I have a hard time finding any flat brown laces that are long enough (besides from Alden). I've found very few even online let alone locally. One old guy at a local shoe repair shop even said they had stoped making flat laces. (though I've seen them around)
I'd actually like to try some leather laces...might not be feasible, but I'd like to try it once.

J
I have a local shop that sells boots and some leather belts and stuff, behind the counter hanging up they have bundles of leather laces. I can't imagine why, they can't sell many of them in suburban South London! You might find someone doing the same!

If I can ever afford Aldens I will pick up some and give them a try!
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jerry »

Argh...laces are now only part of my problem. I snapped off a speed-lace hook. :shock:

Grrr....sometimes I knock into stuff, and the hooks get bent down. I have to ease them up or I can't get a lace behind them again...I go easy, because metal can only flex so many times before it creases and breaks, but I lost one anyway. Guess I'll wait until I've lost several and then see if Alden will send me a handful of spares of those, too...looks like I may take up 'cobbling' in my spare time. ;)
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Jerry, any local cobbler (peach or apple) should be able to replace that for you.
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jerry »

binkmeisterRick wrote:Jerry, any local cobbler (peach or apple) should be able to replace that for you.
SWEET. Thanks, that's a load off my mind. Figured I'd be the only turkey w/ my laces tied around the OUTSIDE of my Alden's. ;)

(Okay, the 'turkey' part I know cannot be cobbled away. :roll:)
Indiana Danny
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Indiana Danny »

are the laces that come with the aldens not the same as the ones in the movie?
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

The modern day Alden laces are somewhat different than the laces that were used in the films, just as the HJ fedora has changed over time, so have the laces for the shoes.