The original MKVIIs never cease to amaze...

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Floribama Steve
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

The original MKVIIs never cease to amaze...

Post by Floribama Steve »

Yesterday I went kayaking with a friend out in Pensacola Bay, and coming back against the wind, we got splashed pretty good. I was wearing my MKVII to carry my watch and cell phone (in a ziploc inside,) and I had removed my leather strap from Todd and was using the webbing strap. After forty minutes of paddling, the bag had been sprayed down quite well, almost to the point "Last Crusade Accuracy." But when I got home and took my stuff out, the interior was barely wet. :shock:
Shawn
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Shawn »

I concur on that. I just got another one from Endicott's and washed it in a sink at work to get the musty smell out and noticed it took a few minutes for the canvas to get the saturated dark wet color. It is almost as if it is soaked in water repellent.

I filled the bag with water and got tired of waiting for it to seep out through the fabric so I flipped it and emptied it. Great bags.
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel
Location: DBSSWWD ~ "This is how we say goodbye to MIMES in Germany!"

Post by Indiana Jerry »

Yup. Pretty much waterproof. I've filled them w/ water when cleaning them, and even when all the water drained out of the main chamber through the vents, the other pockets still were filled to the brim. Amazing that it is so waterproof.
Texas Raider
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Texas Raider »

Yep, they are treated to be water resistant. I have some canvas field 'sinks' that have a similar treatment. They hold water the same way. You can set them on a rock or something flat and they actually are a large bowl made of canvas and you can fill them with water, pretty handy.

TR
Baggers
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Baggers »

In some cases they may not have been treated with anything. The neat thing about canvas is that once the fabric has been soaked through, swelling the fibers, it becomes almost waterproof. Some of us older folks may remember canvas water bags. The exterior surface would stay damp and the slow evaporation would provide a cooling effect for the water inside!

Cheers!
randystokes
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by randystokes »

Baggers wrote:In some cases they may not have been treated with anything. The neat thing about canvas is that once the fabric has been soaked through, swelling the fibers, it becomes almost waterproof. Some of us older folks may remember canvas water bags. The exterior surface would stay damp and the slow evaporation would provide a cooling effect for the water inside!

Cheers!
Us old folk also recall seeing those canvas water bags strapped to the front of cars crossing the desert. They were usually stamped "Saturate Before Using," to keep water in. (They also inspired the name of Jackson Browne's first album, the cover of which was made to look like one of the old canvas water bags with those words, and Jackson Browne's image, stamped on.)

Randy
Baggers
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Baggers »

randystokes wrote: Us old folk also recall seeing those canvas water bags strapped to the front of cars crossing the desert. They were usually stamped "Saturate Before Using," to keep water in. (They also inspired the name of Jackson Browne's first album, the cover of which was made to look like one of the old canvas water bags with those words, and Jackson Browne's image, stamped on.)

Randy
Them's the ones! I wonder if those bags are still being made? I'd love to hang one on the brush bar of my Land Rover.

Cheers!
randystokes
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by randystokes »

Baggers wrote:
randystokes wrote: Us old folk also recall seeing those canvas water bags strapped to the front of cars crossing the desert. They were usually stamped "Saturate Before Using," to keep water in. (They also inspired the name of Jackson Browne's first album, the cover of which was made to look like one of the old canvas water bags with those words, and Jackson Browne's image, stamped on.)

Randy
Them's the ones! I wonder if those bags are still being made? I'd love to hang one on the brush bar of my Land Rover.

Cheers!
These days, with the Internet, it wouldn't surprise me if you could find someone still making them. Otherwise, maybe we'll have to enlist one of our talented prop replicators here to make them! If Indy has one on his car in Indy IV, it'll be a cinch!

Randy
randystokes
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by randystokes »

Baggers wrote:

Randy

Cheers!
These days, with the Internet, it wouldn't surprise me if you could find someone still making them. Otherwise, maybe we'll have to enlist one of our talented prop replicators here to make them! If Indy has one on his car in Indy IV, it'll be a cinch!

Randy
J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

Baggers wrote:I'd love to hang one on the brush bar of my Land Rover.

Cheers!
Ah, another Land Rover man, I knew there was something about you that I liked! :wink: What type do you have?
Baggers
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Baggers »

J_Weaver wrote:Ah, another Land Rover man, I knew there was something about you that I liked! :wink: What type do you have?
I've got a '94 Defender 90 (currently out of service -- it's on my "to do" list after I get a couple of home improvement projects launched this spring), and my wife has an '04 Discovery that we share. I've fantasized about getting a vintage model, but I need something that can make 100 mile commutes up to 2-3 times a week and I don't want to abuse a classic like that. I've gotta get the Defender up and running ASAP. I'm actuallly starting to miss the deafening road noise and whine from the all terrain tires at high speed and the sunburn from driving with the soft top off. But man, has that Disco spoiled me! :lol:

What about you?
J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

I've got a 2000 Discovery. If I ever had the money I'd love to do some work to it to make it more suited for off road. My aunt has a 97? Defender 90. Man I love that thing! Its long been a dream of my dad's and mine to get a classic Rover. Maybe some day! :wink:

Quick, back on topic, I think I hear Michaelson comming! :wink: :lol:
rebelgtp
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by rebelgtp »

i use to have one of those old water bags you guys are talking about i had gotten it from my grandpa. he use to tie it to his old truck when he was a logger. unfortunatly it disapeard along with a bunch of my other stuff when my mom divorced her ex :? ...

i've been keeping my eyes pealed for one of the old school rovers for a long time now but finding one for sale is getting harder and harder to do these days. :cry:
J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

http://www.skytoprover.com/

They always seem to have a few around. But as a college student there is just one problem. MONEY! :roll: :wink: