what hat should i get... iam not a Daily Hat wearer

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Dutch_jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

what hat should i get... iam not a Daily Hat wearer

Post by Dutch_jones »

Hey guys im doubting i want to buy a better hat this summer but.... iam not a daily hat wearer

so the AB is too expensive as i tend to Use my hat as part of an Indy Convention Costume and not a every day hat..

what do you guys suggest ?
G-MANN
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by G-MANN »

It seems that the general census here would be the Akubra FEDERATION.

Cheers,
G-MANN
Last edited by G-MANN on Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Agreed, based on what your criteria is, that's the route I'd also recommend.

Regards! Michaelson
kalkamel
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by kalkamel »

I totally agree... the Federation is a fine hat and real value for your money.
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel
Location: DBSSWWD ~ "This is how we say goodbye to MIMES in Germany!"

Post by Indiana Jerry »

You got good advice above, this is an easy one. The lowest price entry that can look accurate is that Akubra, in the $100-$120 range. You just have to shape it yourself, but that is very easy.

The next accurate-looking hats are at least $100-$150 more.
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Yep, go with the Regular Federation. This hat is still the best Indy fedora bargain in the Universe. The felt is very durable, and distresses out really well with outside wear. Unlike many other rabbit hats, the Federation is a good enough quality felt to take many reblocks. That should be important to anyone who buys a hat. Hats can become old friends. You want the same ones around for as long as possible. :wink: Plus, I love the antique look of the Akubra factory, and all of that vintage machinery. The company is still owned by the same folks, or family, I think, and that is unheard of today. What other hat company is still being run by the same folks? I can't think of a single one. Except Akubra. Speaking as one who makes hats, I love taking the Federation, either model, and pouncing the felt out like it should be. You can make it feel as soft as any fine rabbit, or blended hat. It completely changes the feel of the hat. And, while once they start to taper, they taper a faster rate than beaver, or even a blend, each reblock seems to add extra time to the taper process. That is, the hat, like other good modern felt, gets better with age. My two cents. Fedora
Renderking Fisk
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Renderking Fisk »

Have to go with the Federation cost wise. It was the best fedora I wore in over 20 years.
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

And still is the best fedora I've worn in 3 years.
Dr._J
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Dr._J »

Don't rule out the Keppler. It's not much more than a Federation, is 6X Beaver AND comes pre-bashed. Plus the color is better IMHO. The wait is the only problem I can forsee.

Regards, Dr. J
Montana Jones
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Montana Jones »

Don't forget about Jersey Jones' Camptown. It is a 50/50 rabbit/beaver blend and I have heard very good things about it. It is around 140.00 USD for COW members I believe.
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

Last night I just ordered my Akubra Fed. Deluxe. I've been on here for awhile now and I have not read one bad thing about these hats.

Like yourself I am also a casual hat wearer. When I bought my "Official Hat" I thought it didn't really matter what brand it was just as long as it looked like Indy's hat, boy was I wrong. Ofcourse at the time I bought the hat I was just lurking on this site and I hadn't joined up yet so I didn't really get a chance to ask around first before buying it.

Like everyone else said if the AB is out of your price range right now the second best Indy hats on the market are the Akubra Fed. and Fed Deluxe.
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel
Location: DBSSWWD ~ "This is how we say goodbye to MIMES in Germany!"

Post by Indiana Jerry »

Dr._J wrote:
Don't rule out the Keppler. It's not much more than a Federation, is 6X Beaver AND comes pre-bashed. Plus the color is better IMHO. The wait is the only problem I can forsee.

Regards, Dr. J
Montana Jones wrote:Don't forget about Jersey Jones' Camptown. It is a 50/50 rabbit/beaver blend and I have heard very good things about it. It is around 140.00 USD for COW members I believe.
I stand twice corrected! Good points, guys. Thanks for setting me straight. ;) (How much IS the Keppler, anyway? It seems to be a rarity in the wild these days.)
Doh
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Doh »

I'm quite pleased with my Jaxon Iconoclast, which you can get for around $50. Granted, it's not 100% Indy-accurate (comes with a teardrop crown) but it is a fur felt. I've worn it in a couple of heavy rains this year, too, and it's kept its shape.

http://www.villagehatshop.com/jaxon_iconoclast.html