What do I do about this???

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Jim
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

What do I do about this???

Post by Jim »

I bought Todd's deluxe bag strap back in December, and have worn it a few times with my original MKVII. No problems. Today, the family and I went hiking thru one of our local state parks. It was hot (85 dgrees), humid, and the color on Todd's strap actually did rub off on my sweaty t-shirt. I know he said this doesn't happen, but...

My question is: Does anyone have any ideas on how to stop this? Would Pecard's treatment help? Should I just not use my MKVII if I plan to sweat? What?

Todd, if you read this: I still love your gear. I've also got the Webley holster, the whip holster, and the brass buckle web belts in both brown and khaki. Awesome stuff. That's why I don't want to give up the bag strap...not even just for summer. (Which in Texas can last for 6 or 7 months)
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

I don't think Pecards is going to help you. It's just a conditioner and waterproofant. You need some kind of sealant, if you ask me. I'd Pecard it FIRST, then see if your local hardware store has some kind of translucent sealant you can use.

That's just what I think. Of course, I am the king of ghetto remedies.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

You might want to get hold of Todd and ask him what the story is. You might have a strap that didn't get sealed before it was sent to you, as this is one of the first I've heard to do this in hard use, so there's a chance you might have a clunker there.

If Todd can't offer any help, I agree with Strider's suggestion, but you might want to check out leather company like Tandy Leather to get a real leather sealant, as a hardware store version may actually dry out the leather in the process of sealing, causing it to turn brittle, where a leather sealant is made to seal in moisture, but remain pliable.

Regards !Michaelson
Jim
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Jim »

Thanks for the input, gentlemen.
Skippy
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Riding the Mongolian steppes......or London, England.

Post by Skippy »

Jim, if it makes you feel any better, I get my straps custom made & they come sealed, but they still bleed the dye if you get them sweaty enough, which happened to me in China.
J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

Skippy I agree. I've seen my dad sweat completely through leather bag straps. Most of them bleed, but the dye always washes out, so it doesn't matter.

:)
Jim
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Jim »

I appreciate the input. I emailed Todd, and he told me to send the strap back, and he would replace it with another. He said even in those conditions, there shouldn't be a problem.

He's good people. That's why I've bought many items from him, and will continue to do so. I think its called "service after the sale". A rarity these days.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I knew that would be Todd's response....I just wanted you to experience it first hand. :D :tup:

High regards!

Michaelson
Jim
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Jim »

The only reason I ever bought my first item from him (webley holster, I think), was due to the incredible praise he gets on this forum. That's why I came here first with my issue.

Thanks, Michaelson.
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Ragingblues wrote:Jim,

Glad to hear you got your problem solved so quickly. I want to add that the problem I am having with color bleeding off of the strap, is not Todd's fault. It's from the side that I colored and sealed...then resealed....then, well, you get the picture.

Honestly, I think the water based sealers just will not bond well over oil based colorants like shoe polish or Pecards. I think the better long term solution for me, is to sand that side down...and use products with a matching base.

Ken
I think you're right, for the inside of the strap seeing as it's just to stop the obvious glare of unfinished leather mostly. An acrylic based paint/dye ie common or garden PVA would do the trick and you end up with a waterproof result.
Jim
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Jim »

I received my replacement strap from Todd today, and it's even better than the first. Much softer leather. With the weather hitting 90 plus degrees the last couple of days, I shouldn't have much trouble testing this strap to see if it bleeds.