Raiders block in the film A Passage to India (1984)? (PICS)

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Raiders block in the film A Passage to India (1984)? (PICS)

Post by Erri »

In this film http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087892/ I've seen a hat which is probably a Herbert-Johnson and probably it's made on the same block of raiders hat. If anyone of you has it on VHS watch the first 20 minutes, you should be able to see it there. I'll try to take some pics from the tv if i can.

If I remember well it's worn by Nigel Havers interpretating "Ronny"

this the only pic i've found on the web. I'll try to take some tomorrow from my VHS
Last edited by Erri on Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

Post by Pyroxene »

Interesting. I am looking forward to your findings.

Pyr.
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

Pyroxene wrote:Interesting. I am looking forward to your findings.

Pyr.
Well luckly i have an LCD television, the pics should be quite clear. i'll take them as soon as i can :D

ow i forgot in that film we also see a picture of a tank like the LC one 8)
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

Here they go

and.... a little easter egg 8)

Alan Eardley
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Herbert Johnson in APTI

Post by Alan Eardley »

I was buying my hats from Herbert Johnson at the time the film came out and I was reasonably familiar with the models they kept in the shop. I don't recall a hat just like that one. Even less like the 'Raiders' fedora I see so much on this forum. I don't think even a traditional hatter like Herbert Johnson would have sold many hats that are so 1930s looking in the early 1980s whan a more tapered look with a lower crown was in fashion.

Of course, it is possible that that a prop hat was made specially for the film or that the film hat was an 'off the shelf' model re-blocked for a 'squarer', taller look. My HJs from around this period are in very thck felt and would stand a severe reshaping in both directions.
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

Well that hat is the only one with something of "that age", there are not many other fedoras in that film.
The film was set in 1920-1930 i think, so it's plausible they looked for some 20's-30's looking hats... possibly from Britain.

I'll have a look to the ending credits if any hatter is thanked.
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Indy Magnoli »

Funny you should bring up this particular film as several of the props in this film were used in the Grail Diary! Perhaps there is some sort of strange connection... It must have something to do with Obi Wan being in the film. 8-[

Kind regards,
Indy
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

In the past 5 years, I have seen a couple of HJs, sold as Indy fedoras by Mr Swales that looked remarkably just like this hat shown here from the film Of course, they were brown, but with 5 inch open crowns. They creased down to this same crown height, that is, around 4 3/4 tall at the highest point. And, going by some of the PR stills that I have seen from LC, this same crown height could have been used. Other hats from LC, that Ford wore, almost seem to be taller than some of the Raiders fedoras, but perhaps it was just an illusion created by 3 dimensional objects being shown as a two dimensional image. Fedora
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

Indy Magnoli wrote:Funny you should bring up this particular film as several of the props in this film were used in the Grail Diary!
Several of the props were used in the Grail? I'm not a grail expert... what props?

Probably the presence of "Master Kenobi" is the key! :lol:
Indiana Blooze
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Blooze »

Not to get off of the topic, but have you seen the movie 'The Goonies,' (circa. 1984)? Yesterday, I caught a fleeting glimpse of the opening scenes, and the character Jake Fratelli looked to be wearing a very Indyesque hat. I don't own this DVD, but is now on my must buy list, and I haven't yet found any good quality screencaps to confirm this. Interstingly, Ke Huy Quan is also in this movie as 'Data.'

Rick
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

A friend of mine has it on DVD, i'll ask him to have a look although i doubt that for an american movie set in USA in 80's they would have searched for an English 30's looking hat, don't you think?

welcome on board Booze anyway :wink: :wink:
Kris
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Kris »

Goonies: It looks close alright, but it's not close at all. If I'm not mistaken a teardrop hat.
3thoubucks
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by 3thoubucks »

I bought THE GOONIES yesterday. I'd guess the actor might be wearing a fur felt official Indy teardrop, (which gets a lot of screen time)....However, as a bonus feature, all 7 Goonies and the director, Richard Donner, sit at a table like the Last Supper and watch the entire movie, and comment as they will. 114 minutes of comments. I don't know what year this was filmed, but it's post Lord of the Rings, as there's a reference. Anyway, during the screening, Goonie Corey Feldman claims the actor "stole the hat from Harrison Ford on Spielberg's earlier production" and later asks, "Did Harrison Ford ever get mad that we used his hat?.. that's what I want to know...is he uh.. upset about that?.....that was the actual hat from Indiana Jones, wasn't it?" ....
Dutch_jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Dutch_jones »

could be a hat from IJ since Jonathan Quan was in both TOD and the GOonies
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Indy Magnoli »

erri_wan wrote:Several of the props were used in the Grail? I'm not a grail expert... what props?
Getting off topic... the telegram received from Fielding near the end of the film is the "Eastern Telegram" used in the Grail Diary. There is also a letter shown in the film which was amongst other inserts in the archives, but I don't know if this was actually used in any of the diaries. So it is likely that other inserts came from this film though we may never know...

Now a little back on topic; I remember thinking the same thing about Fritelli's fedora. It is VERY Indyesque. And that comment in the bonus material is very intriguing... :-k

Kind regards,
Indy
Baggers
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Baggers »

If it will help, I rented the DVD and pulled some frames that will hopefully be of a little better quality. I'll only post a couple to start. If you want the rest (I have a total of eight), let me know.

Okay, so I posted four, so sue me! :wink:

Cheers!
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

WOW there is surely an enormous quality gap withing VHS and DVD!
Thanks for posting them, as for me you can post them all :D
J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

After lookign at Baggers' pics, I don't think its the Raiders block. the crown looks too low to me. Perhaps the ToD or LC block, but I don't think its Raiders.

:)
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

I agree. Maybe another hat of the same catalogue... I remember there were many blocks in that famous catalogue:

Baggers
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Baggers »

Yes, but notice in the third picture that the brim has a very distinct edge. Did HJ have any styles with that feature?

Also, in one the images I haven't posted yet, the sweatband is a very light tan color. I couldn't find a good shot of the liner, but the same frame grab seems to indicate either a very dark (black?) lining or none at all. Hard to tell due to the very wide angle and strong daytime lighting in that particular set up.

Cheers!
Renderking Fisk
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Renderking Fisk »

I feel bad for ripping into that film earlier. I'll have to see it again.

What's the body count? How many Nazi's get pasted? I don't remember.
Baggers
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Baggers »

It's "David Lean Lite." I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as his earlier films.

Oh yes, Body Count: 1 old lady (by natural causes); 0 Nazis. :wink:

Cheers!