Pics of my new "Aviator" Indiana Jones shirt

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Pics of my new "Aviator" Indiana Jones shirt

Post by Pitfall Harry »

Hey.....

Here are pics of the shirt I was telling you guys about that I found on the net. It doesn't have the pleats but it is pretty comfortable and more light weight than the Cabela's shirt.

rick5150
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by rick5150 »

Time to go to Dalexs dye tutorial. :wink:

That is one white shirt. :shock: If you tone it down a bit with some tan and pearl gray, it will look pretty good, in my opinion.
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

Yeah, it's not as "white" in person as it appears in the photo's because I took them at night and the flash really made things bright.

I was thinking about dying the shirt though. I'll have to look into that further.
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

Ragingblues wrote:Hey Pitfall,

Nice looking shirt man! You're looking pretty stylin' there in the photos too. I guess all the Cheeze Doodles didn't hurt you too bad :wink: .

The shirt looks pretty soft too, and would make a great dress shirt with a tie, for such occasions as well. It may not have the pleats, but it definitely has the Indy spirt going on, even in white. If you have the direct link where you bought it online, I would appreciate it.

Nice shirt and pics,

Ken

Thanks! :)

I plan on posting pics of me in full gear wearing this shirt and maybe an alternate one wearing the Cabela's shirt. This new shirt is more like a dress shirt and it doesn't seem to have that extra material that balloons out like the Cabela's does.

When I first put it on right out of the package it was really wrinkled up and to be honest felt kind of "scratchy". I put it in the wash right away and then ironed it before I took the pics. It felt alot better and seemed to soften up more.

The shirt is $24.99 with sales tax and shipping it came out to $37.04. I don't think I would call it a great "budget" shirt because of that. It's not like the Dillard's pants deal.

It's another alternative to what's out there and I like it so far. Here's the link to the shirt.... :D

http://www.wearguard.com/style.html?### ... &style=105#

By the way. What color and type of dye should I use....Pearl Grey or Tan?
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

Ragingblues wrote:I used Rit Pearl Grey dye, and I like the results. I'm sure there are a few ways to cook this chicken, it's all up to what color you want. I don't see any khaki in Indy's Raider's shirt....just a very light shade of stone.

You should order a custom Magnoli shirt in "Stone" one day. Then you will have a few of these other shirts to wear in non Indy situations, and the Magnoli when you want to nail the look and have it fit right too. I only say that, because you are obviously not afraid of having multiple shirts for different looks.

Ken

I've looked at the Magnoli shirts and I do plan on getting one someday....along with an AB Fedora! :D

The big thing with me though is finding the clothing as cheap and as close as possible so that I can have multiple "outfits" ready to go. Now that I have the Dillard's pants I have a better idea of what I'm looking for so it shouldn't be to much of a problem finding pants that are close. The shirts are a different story because of the color, pleates and epaulets. This new shirt I got comes in all sorts of colors including kaki but I opted for the white because his shirt is close to that.

This is a nice shirt but even it is still to pricey for me after taxes and delivery.

I'll have to pickup some of the Pearl Grey dye at the store and try it this week.
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

I will. I was going to go out to the store tonight and look for that dye but I didn't have a chance. Is it that hard to do once I get the dye?

I've had "budget whips" all my life.....not the quality like the one you bought but really crappy whips. I didn't want to take a "shortcut" when it came to buying that and the jacket or the hat (although I could have spent a little more on that and gotten the Akubra Fed!) because those seemed those most essential part of his gear. The rest of the stuff I figured didn't have to be exact.

By the way how are those boots that you own? I've been looking at getting some of those myself. Are they comfortable?
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

Ragingblues wrote:The dyeing is super easy to do. I use a cheap plastic storage bin and put it in the tub for easy access to hot water, and draining. I use rubber gloves to stir it up and submerge/swirl the item around in it. Rinse, and throw it in the washer. I actually just threw both pairs of my close enough pants into another pearl grey bath, and it did wonders.

Just make sure you use the hottest water you can work with, keep the item submerged and move it around to make sure it all gets covered evenly. It should only take a minute or so to add enough grey to the white, to make it a stone color. Remember that it will look a little darker when wet too, so don't be afraid if you get it a touch too dark when dyeing. After the wash, and drying it... it will be a shade or two lighter anyway.

If you mess it up, you can use Rit color remover to take the dye out, and do it again. Of course, that wouldn't work on the pants, as it would take most of their original color out too. But, with the white shirt, you are plenty safe to make a mistake and fix it easily.

Ths boots are really soft oiled leather, and very comfortable to me. I put a full length cushioned insole in mine, and wear them to work a couple of days a week too. I really like them alot.

Ken

I went to Hobby Lobby tonight and picked up some Rit Pearl Grey dye. I'm going to dye the shirt this weekend and then I'll post new pics of the shirt once I'm done. Thanks for the instructions. :)

I was think about getting a pair of shoes like yours since there only $50 or so. I may have to wait though. It's hard enough trying to explain why I bought another shirt and pants let alone more shoes. Of course my wife has no room to complain in that department since she has a whole closet full of them.

Did you see the boots Magnoli's going to offer? Those are very nice too.
Daniel Jackson
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Daniel Jackson »

That shirt is a good find, looks lightweight. Let us know how the Rit dye worked.
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

Going to go dye the shirt right now. I'll post pics as soon as I finish all the steps.

Wish me luck! :)
Capt_Zak
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Aviator Shirt...

Post by Capt_Zak »

Isn't that shirt 65% polyester? Will that hold a "dye job"? Don't you need at least 70% cotton?
Dalexs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dalexs »

Rit Dyes website (Ritdye.com) says anything over 50% is not recommended.
They don't say you can't do it, they just say they don't recommend it.
The shrt is 65/35 Dacron/Cotton. It will probably take the dye to a certain point.
If you were trying for something really dark or vibrant in color, it probably wouldn't work.
But in this case, he's just trying to darken a little with a neutral color.
So it may be ok. We'll have to wait and see. And see how well it lasts.

Dalexs
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

Ok.

Here are new pics of my shirt after I used the Rit Pearl Grey dye then washed it, dried it and ironed it. I put one of my other white shirts next to it in some of the shots just to show how white the shirt was before the dye.

I also placed my new Dillard's Saddle colored pants next to it just so you guys got an idea of what it looks like with the pants.

I hope to take pics of me outside wearing the shirt with the rest of my gear soon.

Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

I'm very happy. I think the shirt turned out better than what I thought it would. I was a bit concerned when I started dying the shirt that it would come out splotchy but it didn't and the shirt looks like it was made with that color.

I'll have to see how the shirt looks in the daylight with the rest of my gear on. :)
Daniel Jackson
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Daniel Jackson »

Great job! I'm going to be picking up ones of these myself.
Havana
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Havana »

The shirt looks great. For anyone considering trying this check out this site for a less costly alternative. They even have one with the pleated pockets and free shipping.
http://www.pilotshop.com/catalog/index. ... 1da25c2212
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

I looked at those before I bought the one shown in my pictures. I thought about getting one of those first but I saw an actual photo of the shirt and it looked to thin. The one I bought seems to be a little bit thicker.

If anyone buys the shirt in the link above I'd love to see pics of it and maybe the next time I'll buy one of those.

The shirt I bought fits just right and it's not as thick feeling as the Cabela's but it is thick enough to keep me warm.
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

New pictures of me in this shirt can be seen in my "Gear Picture" thread in Lao Che's Table . These shots give you a better idea of how the color came out.

Post your comments in there. :D
Havana
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Havana »

Here's a little more on the Pilotshop.com shirts that I posted a link to above. I bought one 'pilot' with the pleated pockets and one 'aviator' with the more pointed pocket flaps. As Pitfall indicated, these shirts are lighter than his but solidly made. The Pilot feels like an outdoorsman's shirt and has two small eyelets for a name tag but they aren't very noticeable. The Aviator is slightly heavier and more dressy feeling. Neither have the X box stitching on the epaulets like Pitfall's. Both are very comfortable and great values. For everyday wear, I think these are great. For more serious adventuring, you might want to pick up one like Pitfall's. As an experiment, I also dyed the pilot with the same dye Pitfall used. This shirt absorbed much more dye than I expected. It looks fine but it's definitely gray now. If I had to do it over again, I would only use 50% of the dye powder. The first 2 pics are the aviator. The third is the dyed pilot.
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e397/templr/cow2.jpg
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e397/templr/cow3.jpg
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

Havana wrote:Here's a little more on the Pilotshop.com shirts that I posted a link to above. I bought one 'pilot' with the pleated pockets and one 'aviator' with the more pointed pocket flaps. As Pitfall indicated, these shirts are lighter than his but solidly made. The Pilot feels like an outdoorsman's shirt and has two small eyelets for a name tag but they aren't very noticeable. The Aviator is slightly heavier and more dressy feeling. Neither have the X box stitching on the epaulets like Pitfall's. Both are very comfortable and great values. For everyday wear, I think these are great. For more serious adventuring, you might want to pick up one like Pitfall's. As an experiment, I also dyed the pilot with the same dye Pitfall used. This shirt absorbed much more dye than I expected. It looks fine but it's definitely gray now. If I had to do it over again, I would only use 50% of the dye powder. The first 2 pics are the aviator. The third is the dyed pilot.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e397/templr/cow2.jpg
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e397/templr/cow3.jpg

Wow!

What a great setting to take pics. I should dress up in full gear and go to somehwere like that. :)

How long did you leave the pilot shirt soak? I only left my shirt in for about a minute or less like what Blues suggested. Did you rinse it out right after you dyed it and then washed and dried it? If you did all of that then I can only think that maybe it was the material the shirt was made of and maybe how thick it was that got you the darker color.

I like the look of the pilot shirt. I would buy one after seing yours. Like you said the little holes for the ID badge aren't that noticable.

Thanks for sharing the pics. :)
Havana
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Havana »

Thanks for the comments on the pics. That's actually just some old junk I've got in my basement. :wink: I followed all of the dye instructions. I only left it in for about 30 to 40 seconds. It went dark real fast which surprised me since it's only 35% cotton. I was aiming for a slightly gray off white and got solid gray instead. No real problem just a bit of a surprise. I might try that dye remover at some point. This was a first time experiment for me.
G-MANN
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by G-MANN »

Havana,

If that's your basement, I would love to see the rest of your house. :D

Great Pics.
Thanks,
G-MANN