VeganGear - suggestions?

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Merrick
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

VeganGear - suggestions?

Post by Merrick »

Recently, I was discussing with a friend the whole Indygear phonomena (which incidentally has rekindled my interest after a lull) and as she has chosen a vegan lifestyle we got on to the subject of what a Vegan Indy fan would be able to achieve.

As hats are made from fur felt, and the majority of other items are leather, what options would a vegan Indy fan have?

I'm sure everyone has their own opinion of the vegan lifestyle, so I hope we can avoid that part of the discussion.
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

I think the cotton wested and mmh the shirt and pants, wool fedora... and :-k vegetable leather for whip? :?
Swindiana
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Swindiana »

Kevlar or nylon whip. ;)

As for the gloves, I own a pair that imitates suede pretty well. Not exactly alike a pair of Indy gloves, but a pair of "will do"'s I guess.

Original strap on the bag, I guess.

Converse All Stars for the shoes. They are comfy. 8)

Plastic toy gun, no no. Better with a real metal one since the oil in the plastic might come from an animal. Kidding. 8)

There has been a few threads on the matter before and I'm sure you'll find some good alternatives if digging in the archives a bit.

Regards,
Swindiana
Merrick
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Merrick »

Good start, but you can't use wool for a lid either, because it comes from an animal.
Merrick
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Merrick »

Swindiana wrote:Kevlar or nylon whip. ;)

There has been a few threads on the matter before and I'm sure you'll find some good alternatives if digging in the archives a bit.

Regards,
Swindiana
Oh man, I thought I had something new here. Dang. :roll:

Is a Kevlar whip bullet-proof?
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

Merrick wrote:Good start, but you can't use wool for a lid either, because it comes from an animal.
You're right, my mistake :wink:

Well I guess... a painted panama hat then? :?
Swindiana
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Swindiana »

Probably not bullet proof... :lol:

They use it for making "fire whips". ;)

Regards,
Swindiana
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Maybe a cotton felt hat (yuck) and pressed cardboard or vinyl for the leather parts (double yuck) or you could just tell her the lambskin is really good pleather 8)

Kt. (l'll go get my hat....)
ShanghaiJack
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by ShanghaiJack »

Merrick wrote:Good start, but you can't use wool for a lid either, because it comes from an animal.
So Vegans won't even wool which comes from an animal which is not harmed in any way during the process of taking that wool from the animal?

I guess the officer's pinks are out too since they are made from wool. Too bad L.L. Bean discontinued their taupe chinos.
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

Well, with a wool fedora, they shear the animal instead of kill it. I've not heard of any sheeps dying to make a hat. However, if wool isn't even an option for her, then she's kind of out of luck. Most hats that look like/close to Indy lids are felt (wool/fur), unless you get a plastic novelty hat, or something similar.

Would a faux leather jacket work? I think it's called pleather? If that's out, then yeah, the cotton raiders is probably going to be your best/only choice there.

Boots ... Pleather? 8-[ I think they make those. Again, don't know if that's an option or not. The pants and shirt can be made out of either cotton or polyester (in the case of the Cabela's shirt), so that should be fine. Get an original MKVII from WPG, and don't put a leather strap on it. I believe the original strap that comes with it is cotton.

I don't think you need gloves, Indy didn't always wear them. Swindy's suggestion for a whip sounds great.
Jens
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Jens »

ShanghaiJack wrote:So Vegans won't even wool which comes from an animal which is not harmed in any way during the process of taking that wool from the animal?
Yep. Vegans don't want to use anything an animal was "forced" to give.
They even don't drink milk and eat honey.
Gater
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Gater »

Well, use the dye derived from berry juice to colour match your hemp outfit, and cotton fedora, and run free with the rest of the hippies on the commune. :shock:
Last edited by Gater on Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rebelgtp
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by rebelgtp »

Indiana_Tone wrote:A vegan Indy might want to take up another hobby other than Indygear most likely.

Could wear the bag, cotton pants and shirt with pleather shoes and a pith helmet, I suppose.
don't most pith helmets have a leather strap? :lol:

yeah as the others have said probobly not the best hobby for a vegan. most of our gear involves leather and the like. the ending product would not be really anything like indy except for maybe the shirt and pants.
Snakewhip_Sable
Scoundrel

Post by Snakewhip_Sable »

Indiana Gater wrote:Well, use the dye derived from berry juice to colour match your hemp outfit, and cotton fedora, and run free with the rest of the hippies on the reservation. :shock:
Commune, not reservation. ;)

IS there such a thing as cotton felt?
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Actually, this question HAS come up before, several years ago, and the substitutions were even fewer than we have now.

As to the jacket, there is a prototype being worked on for me at Wested that involves the use of a faux leather material that is washable, and will be a Raiders version, so there will be something other than cotton to choose from hopefully the near future. :D

Regards! Michaelson
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Snakewhip_Sable wrote:
Indiana Gater wrote:Well, use the dye derived from berry juice to colour match your hemp outfit, and cotton fedora, and run free with the rest of the hippies on the reservation. :shock:
Commune, not reservation. ;)

IS there such a thing as cotton felt?
It's the stuff kids' playhats are made out of, you know, like the pirate hats in fancy dress shops.
rebelgtp
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by rebelgtp »

Indiana_Tone wrote:
rebelgtp wrote: don't most pith helmets have a leather strap? :lol:
Ahh, you got me! :P Okay, looks like it's the Peters Brother's straw Indy then. (Hey! That actually is a viable alternative. :-k )
well that all depends on what the sweat band in the hat is made from
Indiana
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana »

Duct tape Fedora:
Capt_Zak
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Capt_Zak »

Indiana wrote:Duct tape Fedora:
SWEET JESUS! That just proves you CAN do anything with duct tape. :lol: That is great!
Ark Hunter
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Ark Hunter »

Michaelson wrote:As to the jacket, there is a prototype being worked on for me at Wested that involves the use of a faux leather material that is washable, and will be a Raiders version, so there will be something other than cotton to choose from hopefully the near future. :D

Regards! Michaelson
Seriously? That's some breaking news! I'd assume they'd be cheaper as it's not real leather?
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

Capt_Zak wrote:
Indiana wrote:Duct tape Fedora:
SWEET JESUS! That just proves you CAN do anything with duct tape. :lol: That is great!
Thanks to 3thoubucks. Those are some good looking duct tape fedoras. Maybe 3thou would sell one to this particular person? :lol:
Gater
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Gater »

Snakewhip_Sable wrote: Commune, not reservation. ;)
what's funny is that I changed that before I even read your correction. I'll have to be quicker next time.
Merrick
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Merrick »

I like some of these ideas. Yeah the straw PB is a good idea.

Do duct tape fedora's taper, and really... how does the adhesive hold up in the weather? Can you resteam them to change the bash?
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Merrick wrote:I like some of these ideas. Yeah the straw PB is a good idea.

Do duct tape fedora's taper, and really... how does the adhesive hold up in the weather? Can you resteam them to change the bash?
I don't know, but my guess is that it's pretty easy to keep it from flying off your head in a wind storm. :ducttape: :wink:
Ken
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Ken »

Well obviously... banana fedora, jam jacket, brocoli pants... :)

Ken
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

IndyDoc wrote:
Michaelson wrote:As to the jacket, there is a prototype being worked on for me at Wested that involves the use of a faux leather material that is washable, and will be a Raiders version, so there will be something other than cotton to choose from hopefully the near future. :D

Regards! Michaelson
Seriously? That's some breaking news! I'd assume they'd be cheaper as it's not real leather?
We'll see. Still awaiting the prototype to be made and tried out.

Stay tuned.

Regards! Michaelson
Snakewhip_Sable
Scoundrel

Those duct tape fedoras, cool as they are, look like they came from an old Primus music video.
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel
Location: DBSSWWD ~ "This is how we say goodbye to MIMES in Germany!"

Post by Indiana Jerry »

Are we overlooking the magic of latex here?
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Indiana Jerry wrote:Are we overlooking the magic of latex here?
8-[
Snakewhip_Sable
Scoundrel

Oh, I hope not.
Kris
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Kris »

Michaelson wrote:Actually, this question HAS come up before, several years ago, and the substitutions were even fewer than we have now.
Yeah .. one of my first posts. I have some leather stuff. Some moral dillema .. trust me. But I just looked good in it :oops:
Swindiana
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Swindiana »

Certainly not. Fill your Mk VII with talcum powder, shake it a bit, let the vents to their job and you're ready to go. I've given it some thought, don't worry.

No... Worry. ;)

It IS great for sprinkling birthday cakes with floured sugar though, I think.

Regards,
Swindiana
Merrick
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Merrick »

Indiana Ken wrote:Well obviously... banana fedora, jam jacket, brocoli pants... :)

Ken
Those jam jackets tend to attract the ants though.
zeus36
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by zeus36 »

Hmmmmm, Indy has KILLED a lot of PEOPLE. Would your friend want to project that image? Killing humans OK, harming animals= BAD?
Kris
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Kris »

zeus36 wrote:Hmmmmm, Indy has KILLED a lot of PEOPLE. Would your friend want to project that image? Killing humans OK, harming animals= BAD?
I'd rather eat a human then an animal ..

By the way .. doesn't humas tastes like chicken ? :P
Shawnkara
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shawnkara »

OK, here's what I've come up with.....

HAT: kinda limited. Maybe a starw hat, or even a duct tape fedora could be flocked like those little cowboy hats in the craft stores??

JACKET: Looks like Michaelson may have that covered soon. If not, maybe Wested would do an Indy in some nice upholstery vinyl, if you provided it. You'd be amazed what types of "pleather" you can find these days. I actually have several yeads of dark brown pleather that looks just like new lamb. Problem is, it doesn't distress that well. Wrinkles nice, but doesn't fade.

SHIRT: cotton.

PANTS: cotton.

WEB BELT: not a problem.

BAG: not a problem, either.

BAG STRAP: get a fake leather belt from Wal -Mart. That's what I did. I made my strap that way (from two belts) over five years ago and it's held up great. Even has a TAG buckle. ***If you really want to go this route, drop me a PM. I can give you instructions on the best way to attach the two belts together.

GUN BELT: Wal-Mart, too. They even have one with a good RAIDERS buckle.

HOLSTER: upholstery vinyl. For density, get some industrial adhesive and fuse the pleather to some heavy canvas before you cut it out and sew it up. TODDSCOSTUMES.COM does an awesome Indy holster, in leather. But he does all sorts of custom work. Maybe he can hook you up with a RAIDERS holster in something non-leather.

WHIP: nylon. Can't recall where, but I saw one that even had a good RAIDERS color to it.

BOOTS: Come on, guys :roll: Haven't you ever shopped for shoes at Wal-Mart or Payless?? :lol: OF COURSE they make pleather boots!

That should cover it, I think. Really, the fedora will be the toughest part. MARC may be onto something, though. It may actually be possible to CAST a fedora! I can't readily think of a doog material for this, however. Basically none of those materials are designed to be worn for very long, and do not "breath". Maybe self-skinning urethane foam would be best (think NERF ball material). The worst part, you'd have to damage a fedora to do it. You can make urethane and silicone molds from fabrics and such, but you have to coat it with a spray-on sealant to seal the fibers.
McFly
Scoundrel

Re: VeganGear - suggestions?

Post by McFly »

Merrick wrote:As hats are made from fur felt, and the majority of other items are leather, what options would a vegan Indy fan have?
Shortround gear... and props. :wink:

In Christ,
Shane
zeus36
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by zeus36 »

Just go for the Tannis Dig look with the white robe and turbin. That eliminates the fur hat and leather jacket. Maybe trade the boots in for some hemp sandals.