New Head on the Block

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Garzo
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

New Head on the Block

Post by Garzo »

Greetings to all,

I'd like to introduce myself. My name is Ed (also known as Garzo). I'm originally from Southern California but I've lived in Berlin for the past 12 years and recently discovered this wonderful community of archaeologists, leather jacket afficionados, hat experts, Jonesian scholars and fellow travelers.

I was about 13 when I first saw Raiders in the theater with my best friend and his dear late dad (who couldn't get over the fact that Harrison Ford looked so much like Howard Hughes on the movie poster -- my pal's dad had known Hughes back in the 40s in L.A. while working as an aerial photographer and he wasn't a fan of the man).

The Indy films truly inspired my love of travel (always picturing the red line connecting destinations on a map of the world) and ancient history -- I ended up studying anthropology and journalism and then traveling to Europe in search of fortune and glory. I'm still searching but I have made some very precious finds along the way.

This is my first post on the COW boards but I have been lurking here for a few months now, first doing some research on a jacket (I recently received my Wested Horsehide -- a real beauty if I do say so myself) and have just placed an order with Marc for one of his much anticipated Deluxe models. Hiya Marc!

Until now I've only really had contact with Marc, but just reading and getting to know this community from the outside has really inspired me. It is so remarkable the way people from around the world have come together here, established extraordinary friendships, inspired one another, work together and are able to share with others their love and passion for not only a great movie series, but historic traditions that are quickly dying out were it not for that love and passion -- which is a very contagious thing indeed.

I'm really looking forward to get to know other folks here. See you on the boards!
Ed
Marc
Vendor

Post by Marc »

Hey Ed,

good to see you around!

You'll soon find out, that there's much more than gear to find within these pages. Or to put it into Ren's words: come for the gear, stay for the people!

Oh, and I warned you already. It's addictive :wink:

Regards,

Marc
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Welcome aboard, Garzo! :wink:
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

Ed you're still in time... RUN!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

kidding of course :wink: but as Marc said... WARNING all this stuff is addictive!

I hope you will tell us some stories of your travels and discoveries! There's a section just about that and I personally love to hear tales about travels, archoelogy, discoveries etc... i bet most of the people here are the same :D
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

indy

Post by BendingOak »

hello, and welcome.
LeatherneckJones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by LeatherneckJones »

Greetings, sir! And, have fun on this crazy ride called COW!
Garzo
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Garzo »

erri_wan wrote:Ed you're still in time... RUN!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

kidding of course :wink: but as Marc said... WARNING all this stuff is addictive!

I hope you will tell us some stories of your travels and discoveries! There's a section just about that and I personally love to hear tales about travels, archoelogy, discoveries etc... i bet most of the people here are the same :D
Thanks for the warning, Erri! I know if I'm not careful I will soon be on the look out for a bullwhip and a Webley!

Hey, I see you're from Italy. This is may be for another section, but my friend and I spent some time in southern Italy last September in a little town called Palinuro in Campania, near Cilento National Park. Besides lying on the beach and enjoying the culinary joys of agriturismo, we also got to visit the ruins of Paestum (ancient Poseidonia). That was fascinating. It was in that beautiful and magnificent region where I made a great discovery: Limoncello from Cilento! The best thing after a meal.
Thanks for the welcome gentlemen. Pleasure to make your acquaintance.
Indakin
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indakin »

welcome buddy! Im surprised how many people lurk and dont join immedately, cause i couldnt wait to start bugging everyone with questions! Good luck with the rest of your gear finds, i just finished mine, just need an idol and headpiece now.
Garzo
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Garzo »

Indakin wrote:welcome buddy! Im surprised how many people lurk and dont join immedately, cause i couldnt wait to start bugging everyone with questions! Good luck with the rest of your gear finds, i just finished mine, just need an idol and headpiece now.
Hi Indakin,
actually I just started visiting to read up on jackets before I ordered my Wested. I was planning to post sooner or later but also had a lot of work and was quite busy and once I started posting and discussing, I knew I would just be too distracted to do any work! And since I do all my work on the computer, it can be very dangerous since it's so easy to just get into it here and I'd just never leave.
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

Garzo wrote:
erri_wan wrote:Ed you're still in time... RUN!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the warning, Erri! I know if I'm not careful I will soon be on the look out for a bullwhip and a Webley!

Hey, I see you're from Italy. This is may be for another section, but my friend and I spent some time in southern Italy last September in a little town called Palinuro in Campania, near Cilento National Park. Besides lying on the beach and enjoying the culinary joys of agriturismo, we also got to visit the ruins of Paestum (ancient Poseidonia). That was fascinating. It was in that beautiful and magnificent region where I made a great discovery: Limoncello from Cilento! The best thing after a meal.
Thanks for the welcome gentlemen. Pleasure to make your acquaintance.
A wonderful place, expecially in summer!

My parents are from campania and my mum makes her own limoncello, family recret recepie :-$

It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance too :D
prairiejones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: In the damp jungles of Peru, drinking Dewar's with Pagey.

Post by prairiejones »

Welcome aboard. I was thirteen when I saw Raiders at the theatre, as well.
Garzo
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Garzo »

prairiejones wrote:Welcome aboard. I was thirteen when I saw Raiders at the theatre, as well.
Howdy and thanks. I suppose that makes us old timers, aye? I tell ya, 1968 was a good vintage!
Modern Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist
Location: Currently being torn in 20 directions, at once! (As usual ....)

Post by Modern Jones »

Welcome aboard Ed!

I think we all lurked for a time before we chimed in and said hello. I'm glad you got a good feel for how everyone is around here.

You will be addicted!!! So line up some counseling immediately!!! :shock: :wink:

MJ
Garzo
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Garzo »

erri_wan wrote:A wonderful place, expecially in summer!

My parents are from campania and my mum makes her own limoncello, family recret recepie :-$

Wow! That's really cool. I bet your mum's limoncello recipe is a priceless treasure in its own right. Hmmm. . . . :wink:
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

Garzo wrote:
erri_wan wrote:A wonderful place, expecially in summer!

Wow! That's really cool. I bet your mum's limoncello recipe is a priceless treasure in its own right. Hmmm. . . . :wink:
Well it's one of the many family secret receipes transmitted orally only to some members... since i'm only child ... i know the secret too :lol:

... but i dont like secrets so I already wrote everything down on a notebook (or graildiary if you want to call it like that :lol: )
Garzo
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Garzo »

Ragingblues wrote:Welcome aboard Ed, from another 1968 born member. I lurked for sveral months before joining, as there was so much to read in the archives. I did hop on board before ordering my jacket though, as I wanted to make sure about a few things.

Anyway greetings to ya,

Ken
Thanks Ken. Yeah, now I wish I had asked around some. I did chat with Gemma a bit about what I wanted and initially I didn't really care too much about film accuracy -- I just really wanted a horsehide. I may have gotten x-box stitching and gussets and all that, which I didn't, but I'm not too much of a stickler for movie accuracy, just wanted a cool Indy jacket and I'm very happy with it.
Jorenz
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Jorenz »

Welcome Garzo. :) I wonder how many other 1968's are members.

Just like you and Blues. I lurked for a good year but when it came down to ordering "The " jacket I joined to get some primo advice.

For me, there is no better place to get info on the gear and no "Funner" place to get to know other gearheads than COW unless it's LIVE and in person. :D
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Welcome! I'm another one from '68. We were the perfect age when Star Wars AND Raiders came out.

Hope you get stuck in to some of the discussions here, it's a forum after all not a reading room ;)

Best regards,

Kt.