RotLA shooting schedule (pertaining to the hat.)

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

The_Edge
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

RotLA shooting schedule (pertaining to the hat.)

Post by The_Edge »

I was searching the IndyFan archives for something else and I came across this interesting post from Dakota Ellison in '01. I felt it needed to be resurrected here. Thanks Dakota!

-Kyle

Dakota Ellison wrote:For those of you who wondered how many hats were worn by Harrison Ford in "Raiders of the Lost Ark", here's a breakdown of the scenes in the order they were filmed:
1. La Rochelle, France
The submarine and the Bantu Wind (Hat looks good, but this after distressed by truck chase? First new hat.)
2. Elstree Studios, England
Imam's House (Hat on table is prop, probably never worn. Has wrong kind of dent, almost teardrop. Second new hat.)
The Temple (Peru)(This could be same hat as Bantu Wind. Front pinch looks sharper here, though.}
The Map Room (wore arab turban here)
The Well of Souls (possibly the same hat in remaining studio scenes).
The Catacombs
The Raven Bar
The Bantu Wind Cabin
The Bantu Wind Hold
The Altar (wrath of God scene)
3. The Rickmansworth Masonic School, England
The College Classroom,Lecture Hall, and Government Office
3. Tunisia
The Tanis Digs
The Flying Wing (last hat worn in England distressed or new hat distressed?)
The Truck Chase (same hat as flying wing?)
The Procession
Sallah's House
The Arab Bar
Foot Chase and Street Scene (same hat as truck chase?)
4. Hawaii
The Temple Exterior(new hat. 3rd new hat? 4th?)
The River (possibly diferent hat for river swim)
The Opening Shot(same hat as Temple Exterior)

All this is from "The Making of Raiders of the Lost Ark" by Derek Taylor and the Collector's Album. Missing from both sources is the
scenes outside and in Indy's house (but I imagine they were part of the Masonic School location) and the scene on the steps of the government offices and the scene in San Francisco with the China Clipper.
Cheers,
Dakota
Sergei
Admin Emeritus
Location: Off the grid, in from the cold - Jack's Canyon ~1119

Post by Sergei »

Wow, Dakota! That's one h-e-l-l of an analysis. What else are you holding back?

Kyle, thanks for finding this one in the archives. Perhaps it should be part of the website?

-S
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

Very good indeed. Except the last scene filmed was when the truck flipped and blew up in Cairo. It's on the making of Raiders video. :D
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Wouldn't the truck flip scene be a second unit shot? Since Harrison wasn't involved and it was Glenn Randall driving.

Also, I always thought that this scene being last was just due to editing on the Making of Tape. If I remember correctly, the cast is toasting the end of the shoot around the jungle scenes or on a beach. Definitely not in the dessert, even though those scenes are shown before the truck flip.

Great, now I have to re-watch my tape. :roll: :wink:

Mike
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

While in Hawaii they were toasting to the end of the shoot at that particular location. The last shot in the film was of the truck exploding and remember from the film that HJ ran in front of the camera as it explodes and slams into the wall. "MARION!!!" He was definitley in this scene unless it was a CG HF. (just a joke :D )
Dakota Ellison
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dakota Ellison »

I had forgotten I did this. Pure supposition. The scenes are as near right as I could determine. Truck flipping with Harrison there was the last scene filmed in Tunisia. It wasn't second unit. Spielburg was there. Hawaii was the last location. I have "The Making of Raiders" too. You'll recall Harrison clowning around and pouring a cup of water on Steven in Hawaii at the end. Look closely and you'll see Vic Armstrong wearing a fedora with what looks like a white scarf or something wrapped around it. Slow down the scene where the Hovitos are chasing Indy through the jungle and you can see it's Vic with that hat. Supposed to be the remains of all the spider web stuck to his hat.
prettybigguy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by prettybigguy »

agent5 wrote:Very good indeed. Except the last scene filmed was when the truck flipped and blew up in Cairo. It's on the making of Raiders video. :D
I recall hearing that the "Truck Flip" scene was the last scene filmed in Tunisia and they made such a big deal about because it was such a hot shoot and everyone (except Speilberg) was really ill. I don't know if the crew had the same food poisoning that HF had but it was something like that.
PBG
Dakota Ellison
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dakota Ellison »

Yeah and Spielburg had all his food and drink shipped there, so he was spared from the dysentery that plagued everyone else.
rick5150
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by rick5150 »

I thought I read that the submarine scene was the first (or one of the first) shot?

Here it is, I found it... There was a paragraph in the July/August 2001 "Star Wars Insider" that may be interesting:

"A film is rarely, if ever, shot in order. Raiders is no exception: the first scene shot was the exterior scenes of Indy climbing aboard the German submarine. The last was as Indy swings out into the river and boards Jock's plane near the film's beginning."

I also remember hearing that makeup had to be applied for the Chachapoyan idol scene to match the tan that Harrison Ford had at the beginning of shooting, but I do not recall where I read it and cannot find it for the life of me :cry:

If anybody can find this issue of Star Wars Insider on eBay, it has some good information.
Last edited by rick5150 on Sun Dec 15, 2002 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
MK
Admin Emeritus

Post by MK »

Very cool Dakota. One point I question though:
1. La Rochelle, France
The submarine and the Bantu Wind (Hat looks good, but this after distressed by truck chase? First new hat.)
We only see Ford wearing it in the cabin. I don't know that was really shot on the ship in France since it was an interier scene. Cabins are very cramped. I figured it was done on set at Elstree in England. Hard to say. You can tell they did shoot the corridor bit with Karen on the real ship. Hmmmm.......now I have to look.
Dakota Ellison
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dakota Ellison »

No, if you'll look, there's the shot of them saying goodbye to Sallah and boarding the ship. That is the first fedora. You are right about the cabin scene, though. That was a set.
MK
Admin Emeritus

Post by MK »

Ahhhh.......I forgot about that. You are right.....that would have been the first time Ford would have been wearing the fedora on camera.
Indiana Texas-girl
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Indiana Texas-girl »

Something interesting...I was watching the Making of ET on the DVD. Spielberg said he shot the scenes for ET chronologically so the child actors would be more drawn into the story and feel apart of the story and have more of an emotional reaction from the child actors. Spielberg is amazing and I am definitely looking forward to how he will present Indy4.
doc riviere
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by doc riviere »

Well ITG, if G.LUCAS he' s still on the project, and he is , i' m afraid that we will be very disapointed....
Sergei
Admin Emeritus
Location: Off the grid, in from the cold - Jack's Canyon ~1119

Post by Sergei »

I found this ROTLA "shooting seqence" that is well documented at :
www.indianajones.de

I used the same outline numbers as used from that site:
5. LA ROCHELLE, FRANCE
5.1 The Submarine
5.2 The Bantu Wind
6. EMI ELSTREE STUDIOS, ENGLAND
6.1 IMAM'S HOUSE
6.2 THE TEMPLE
6.3 THE MAP ROOM
6.4 THE WELL OF SOULS
6.5 THE CATACOMBS
6.6 THE RAVEN BAR
6.7 THE BANTU WIND CABIN
6.8 BANTU WIND HOLD
6.9 THE ALTAR
7. TUNISIA
7.1 TOZEUR: THE TANIS DIGS
7.2 THE FLYING WING
7.3 THE TRUCK CHASE
7.4 THE PROCESSION
7.5 KAIROUAN - SALLAH'S HOUSE AND THE ARAB BAR
7.6 FOOT CHASE AND STREET SCENE
8. HAWAII
8.1 THE TEMPLE EXTERIOR
8.2 THE RIVER
Last edited by Sergei on Tue Dec 17, 2002 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

Ah. I stand corrected and am now only the wiser. :D
3thoubucks
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by 3thoubucks »

In the ship's cabin scene, the hat changes from tan and used looking to red and new looking. The bandage changes on Indys arm and the wounds change on his chest. - Who knows if that was one day apart or three months?(Go back and shoot a scene over.)