My First Federation! HELP

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Indakin
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

My First Federation! HELP

Post by Indakin »

I have the $42 disney MGM indy hat right now, and its okkkk....but i really want something better. Im not sure if i want to get an AB just cause im getting my Wested soon. I want to know how good the Federation is, because Ill most liekly get that. Plus if i feel like getting it dirty some, i wouldnt care as much. Does it still look really indy when its crushed good? Also was the federation only 50 recently cause now its up to 75? IS the Fed Delux that much better?
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

hat

Post by BendingOak »

you have to wait for some one else to talk about the fed's. The AB will take alot and I don't think you will have to worry much either. IMOP I think waiting and getting something like the AB will save you money in the long run. You will get the right look Fedora ( block ) the best quality, and will last a life time. You will only have to spend the money once, some where down the line you will want one. Why not save some money and wait and get the real deal ( IMOP ).
I only wish someone gave me this heads up. I would have saved a lot of money and time.I hope this is helpfull.
Feraud
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Feraud »

I do not know how much better the Fed Deluxe is to the regular. Hemingway Jones had the regular Fed and it turned green. :shock:
I have the Fed Deluxe for over a year now. No taper, no color fade, and is more comfortable with use. I recommend this as a very fine 100% rabbit felt hat.
ImageImageImage
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Both Feds are excellent hats. I've owned both, and neither have ever let me down.

We REALLY hate to keep playing this card, but PLEASE use the search funtion of the site. There's so much regarding both the Federations in the archive it's mind boggling, and it's all there for you to read and study.

Regards! Michaelson
J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

Like Michealson said there are all kinds of threads around about the Akubra.

Here is a good thread about the Fed Deluxe:

viewtopic.php?t=15264
Indakin
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indakin »

thanks guys i checked alot of threads and im def going to get teh DElux Fed. IT seems like ana amazing hat still. I'm going to hopefulyl order that tomorrow.
Rusty Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist
Location: Raleigh, NC, Running from the Havitos (my (ex)girlfriends' parents)

Post by Rusty Jones »

sounds like a fine choice, but I was in the exact same boat that you were in and I opted to wait about half a year after ordering my wested to get a hat better the dorfman... I'm really glad that I went with my AB in the long run, but in all honesty I use the AB more than the Wested anyway, if you think you're going to use the hat a lot and a jacket a little then I might wait and put some of the jacket cash into getting an AB and save for a wested later, but its all in what you prefer, if you think you'll get more use out of the jacket (or are really just as enticed by the wested as I was) then go ahead, its a jacket as well... Just look at it this way: the wested is to jackets as the AB is to hats.... only there's no Federation Jacket (the other options for jacket are of comparable price to the Wested, I think)

EDIT: Nevermind if you said "getting your wested soon" as in you already ordered it.. didnt know if you ment its arriving or if you ordered it... eitherway your getting good gear, enjoy it and post us some pics :cD
Indakin
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indakin »

thanks for the opinion rusty its appreciated. Well i splurged already though, and ordered my delux fed tonight. I agree with what you said too, on which will i wear more, and i choose the wested. The AB is def the best hat, i havent touched one myself but i believe everyone and wont deny that. Butttt persoanlly i dont think im going to wear my hat everyday like many of you all do. I want my Fed mainly for wear with the cosutme, thats why i picekd teh delux insteed. It is still a great hat, and if i want to ruff it up i wont care as much. I also orderd a basic holster, basic gunbelt, and brown web belt from todd tonight. My whip should be here this week, as well as my sepia llbean pants, and my singapore gas bag. I pretty much have everything but a shirt now. Im thinking the cabellas, but also thinking wested for accuracy. Next move will be to order my wested, by Wed is my goal.
Rusty Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Rusty Jones »

in that case sounds like you made a finicially correct descision and I'm considering ordering a federation, maybe reg, just to dust up for a "dirty" fedora (there's no way I'm messing with the AB... looks great on its own without any 'distress' anyway)
Renderking Fisk
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Renderking Fisk »

I can't say enough good things about Ron and Hats Direct and The Akubra Federations. They make ideal fedoras that were common during the Golden Era.

Step up to the Deluxe... which doesn't have the color issues. Be sure to measure your head AFTER you get a hair cut for the best fit. Measure twice, order once.
Indakin
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indakin »

thanks guys. Yea i ahve a shag going on now cause im growing it anakin legth for my 501st events i will attend as sith anakin/vader. I measured a t a 24, so i bumped it down to a 23/3/4 making me a size 60. I ahve the cheap disney ha t now and its an xl at 60inchs, and i feel it could be tighter, so i did thte bump down.My hair doesnt seem to interfear too much with the size, but it probably does. Well im gonan keep my hair shaggy for a while so it doesnt matter. Thanks again, cait wait to get my hat bashed.
Kodiak
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Kodiak »

I've been considering a Federation or Fed Deluxe myself, but I don't want as much of an accurate hat as I want a good-looking, hard-wearing hat that won't wear out or get nasty so that I can't wear it to dinner. I've got about $150 to put into one, so what would you guys suggest for me?
Feraud
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Feraud »

Kodiak wrote:I've been considering a Federation or Fed Deluxe myself, but I don't want as much of an accurate hat as I want a good-looking, hard-wearing hat that won't wear out or get nasty so that I can't wear it to dinner. I've got about $150 to put into one, so what would you guys suggest for me?
That would be the Federation Deluxe.
:D
J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

Feraud wrote:
Kodiak wrote:I've been considering a Federation or Fed Deluxe myself, but I don't want as much of an accurate hat as I want a good-looking, hard-wearing hat that won't wear out or get nasty so that I can't wear it to dinner. I've got about $150 to put into one, so what would you guys suggest for me?
That would be the Federation Deluxe.
:D
I'll second that. :wink:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I'll third that as well! :D

Regards! Michaelson
Prof. Ed
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Prof. Ed »

I inherited my Fed .Deluxe from a friend. It is my only GOOD fedora. As a starter hat, it probably can't be beat. I like it and according to the folks in the know around here, I did a fine job of bashing and the size seems to fit my face.
So, I'll 4th. the posts above.

Good luck,

Prof. Ed
Indakin
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indakin »

Even though i havent gotten to see mine yet, i will 5th the vote. It seems to be that unless you have the 250 to get an Adventure built, the next best hat would be the Federation Deluxe. You will get an amazing quality hat, and you can bash the hat how you would like, and make it look Indy. I am very happy with my purchase choice, and dont think i will ever need to buy the AB in the future, i jsut dont feel the ened to spend that much for a hat im mostly wearing only with my gear. IF you dont like the hat, jsut send it back unbashed.
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

MorgonKenbur wrote:It seems to be that unless you have the 250 to get an Adventure built, the next best hat would be the Federation Deluxe. You will get an amazing quality hat, and you can bash the hat how you would like, and make it look Indy.
To be fair, the Adventurebilt is of a better quality felt than the Federation Deluxe, and also comes open crowned, so you can put your own bash on it. Fedora gives COW members a discount on the hat, making it only 235$ shipped. I realize that may seem like a lot of money, but for the quality of the felt, and workmanship involved, it is a steal, compared to what others are selling similar (even blended) felts for.

I'm not saying one is better than the other, it's all about the buyer's perception, and what they want, of course. So, I'm glad you're happy with your purchase of a Federation Deluxe. I've heard great things about the hat, and am sure you will also say good things about it.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

I keep forgetting there are people poorer than me! :lol: That said, the Akubra is an excellent hat, especially if you're only looking to spend a certain amount or don't have the time or ability to save up for something like an AdventureBilt. I'd certainly own an Akubra again. Mine was a great hat which is being enjoyed by another "less affluent" gearhead. :wink:
Indakin
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indakin »

hmmm 235 as bad i guess, since my hat total was about 150. Oh well, ive heard just as many good things about Deluxes as the AB, i stand by my purchase!!! :tup: :junior:
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Good for you! You've made a wise decision and are equally wise for standing by it. And you won't be disappointed with the Deluxe Federation, either. :wink:
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Nothing wrong with your choice of hat. I think they are good hats, and the good news is, they can be rebuilt, or reblocked unlike some hats in that same price range. I think the Federation is still one of the few bargains out there. Fedora
Indakin
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indakin »

yea thats good to know, since it will be my first hat blocking job and i might make a mistake. I was about to get the just the federation, but i decided it would be smarter to spend a bit more for the deluxe.
Feraud
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Feraud »

MorgonKenbur wrote:I am very happy with my purchase choice, and dont think i will ever need to buy the AB in the future, i jsut dont feel the ened to spend that much for a hat im mostly wearing only with my gear.
That is what they all say.... :lol: :lol:
Not many gearheads end up with one hat, jacket, or shirt. Hanging around this place gives everyone a case of 'gold fever'. One hat leads to two, a lambskin Raiders jacket leads to a goatskin TOD...Next thing you know you are driving your significant other crazy by asking if they see grooves on Indy's bag strap. :-k #-o
Welcome to the club!
Indakin
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indakin »

i know, well i still end to get some props, like teh head piece and idol. Im moving along great too, im already up to Field Surveyor
Indakin
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indakin »

my Fed Deluxe came , ill take some pics tomororw when i get a chance.
Indakin
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

FED DELUXE PICS!!!

Post by Indakin »

Here are pics of my new Fed Deluxe (and now you can all see the man behind the mask :twisted: ). Keep in mind this is the first time I have bashed a Fedora, but I think it came out very well. Its still a work in progress, like everyone elses hat, this one will get better as it wears in. The pinch will get tighter too...Im going for the raiders style, Temple scene.

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
My MKVII with deluxe strap, llbean sepia chinos, budget holster & belt, and web from todd(sent back belts for larger sizes.)
Feraud
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Feraud »

Nothing wrong with that hat! :wink:
What is your impression with receiving the hat and having to bash it? Did you find it easy or intimidating? What technique did you use to bash it?
Indakin
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indakin »

it was cake.... 8) I followed the instructions from this page
http://eaglesnest.goblinjournals.com/pagey.html

I didnt use any steam or water, i dont think you need it. I tried to wear it turned like Indy in Cario but it can be uncomfortable, and it makes you want to spin your head to the left, it twists your head some. If you have tried it , youll know what i mean. But once i wore it a bit more it started to soften so i turned it a bit. Hat bashing was very simple, because the hat can be reshaped no problem, so there is nothing to fear, jsut be gentle before you do any serious damage.
G-MANN
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by G-MANN »

From whom did you oreder your Fed Deluxe?
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

You did a FANTASTIC job at bashing that hat! Well done! See, it wasn't that hard, was it? :wink:

bink
prairiejones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: In the damp jungles of Peru, drinking Dewar's with Pagey.

Post by prairiejones »

WOW!! :shock: That may be the best looking fed that I have seen. Fantastic job of bashing it. Suits the hat perfectly.:tup: Don't change a thing! What size is it? The sides look very straight for a Federation.
Antone
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Antone »

binkmeisterRick wrote:I keep forgetting there are people poorer than me!
You should know, since you're the one with all their wallets... :wink:

Antone
Indakin
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indakin »

binkmeisterRick wrote:You did a FANTASTIC job at bashing that hat! Well done! See, it wasn't that hard, was it? :wink:

bink
No bink it was really simple. Anyone who is afraid of bashing shouldnt call them selves and indy fan, because he wouldnt be afraid! I didnt use any water or steam, just followed one of the sites i found posted in the forums. I surprised everyone loves it so much! The 1/4 side shot looks very cario indy when hes yelling at marienne to leave. Image
Thanks for the comment!!
prairiejones wrote:WOW!! :shock: That may be the best looking fed that I have seen. Fantastic job of bashing it. Suits the hat perfectly.:tup: Don't change a thing! What size is it? The sides look very straight for a Federation.
Its a size 60. I remember reading a debate about the the size 60 being a differnt block possibley. I ahd a dorfman from MGM in xl so i measured that and my head and the closet size was up a bit or down 1/4 and inch or so to the 60. The 60 fits great, its tight but not giving me a headache ](*,) .
To get my bash i studied these pics for a bit http://www.regular-guy.com/fedora.html
and then i jsut follwed the instructions on this pagehttp://eaglesnest.goblinjournals.com/pagey.html I didnt do do much to the brim, no cutting, just played with the front alot, and curled the edges some, but by turning the brim slightly the brim kinda does that wacky shape it makes in Cairo. Also i tried to make it like indys but also jsut let it be natural for me. I think thats what people need to do , is let it be you. And dont worry about getting it perfect, it will eventually get there with wear. But apparently i got mine perfect the first time :D
Rusty Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: FED DELUXE PICS!!!

Post by Rusty Jones »

MorgonKenbur wrote:Image
Fantastic stuff, especially the Federation, excellently shaped, however I have a question pertaining more to that picture, I was wondering what your hight was -if you dont mind my asking- so I could compare it do the size of the basic holster in that pic, I've got a feeling you're probably a bit taller than me, but if you're the same size, then that holster looks like it would be better scaled to fit a guy my size... (5'9"ish) Thanks!
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

MorgonKenbur wrote: Also i tried to make it like indys but also jsut let it be natural for me. I think thats what people need to do , is let it be you. And dont worry about getting it perfect, it will eventually get there with wear.
Well put, my friend! I'm glad to see you giving that hat your own character. I like to see people make the gear their own, not the gear make the people! :wink:
Indakin
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: FED DELUXE PICS!!!

Post by Indakin »

Rusty Jones wrote:
MorgonKenbur wrote:Image
Fantastic stuff, especially the Federation, excellently shaped, however I have a question pertaining more to that picture, I was wondering what your hight was -if you dont mind my asking- so I could compare it do the size of the basic holster in that pic, I've got a feeling you're probably a bit taller than me, but if you're the same size, then that holster looks like it would be better scaled to fit a guy my size... (5'9"ish) Thanks!
Thanks for the Fed comments, It looks better in person, fits me perfect too.Yea im about 6 1'. That pics not a great shot of the holster. I think the size is fine, and remember the raiders one is smaller. Heres a post with my holster, i jsut dyed it up last night.
viewtopic.php?t=14508&start=100
If your questioning whether or not to get one, GO for it! Its a great item, very strong, its only budget cause he didnt score it, or dye it, or add the bottom plug. Its otherwise the same item as todds deluxe. I sent my belts back though, cause i wanted a size bigger in them so i could ahve more slack, otherwise todds belts kick butt too.

And bink, thanks again for the kind words man. :D
The real Henry
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by The real Henry »

A nice job you did on the holster!

BTW- The sepia Dress chinos look great ! Very ToD-like in my eyes! =P~
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

As you say you are going for the Raiders temple look, I'd say ou want to drop the centre dent down at the back a little - but check how this affects the front view, the Akubras don't quite have the shape to REALLY get the Raiders look, so you have to juggle a little. Also tighten that front pinch, don't be afraid to do so - you may need a little cold water (not steam) with the Akubra felt
Indakin
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indakin »

yea i pinched it as much as possible, it will get better with use. I didnt really take a good shoot of me looking down...from that angle u can see the heart shape to teh front better.
Capt_Zak
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Akubra Federation.

Post by Capt_Zak »

After seeing these photos I have decided to order a Akubra Federation in Grey. This will allow me to still pick up an AB down the road. But these Akubras look too good to pass up. Can't wait toget my "Grey". :lol:
Indakin
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indakin »

yea, i think thats what indy wears on the plane. Its def a wonderful hat, but if u dont have a regular indy hat yet, i would jsut wait and get teh AB or something else first. But get teh grey if u really want it! :D
Capt_Zak
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Indy Grey...

Post by Capt_Zak »

I do not have an AB yet. I have a cheap brown fedora I wear with my Indy gear. It's passible. I want the grey so that when I go to the various Reenacting conventions to sell my WWII reproductions I can dress period and not be called "Indiana" the whole time. LOL I usually tell people that I am not Indiana, I am a 1940's war profiteer. :D