Probably the worst Fuller's Earth question ever...

Discuss technique for prolonging the life of your gear or giving it that aged look

Moderator: Dalexs

IndianaBlues
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Probably the worst Fuller's Earth question ever...

Post by IndianaBlues »

What's the difference between the jars of Fuller's Earth that people have been buying and the Fuller's Earth cat litter that I buy every week for my kittens...should I rub it on my Fed Deluxe or not? :?
MK
Admin Emeritus

Post by MK »

I don't know about kitty litter, but I would never ever put Fuller's on a cat. It would make him very dirty.
rick5150
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by rick5150 »

What's the difference between the jars of Fuller's Earth that people have been buying and the Fuller's Earth cat litter that I buy every week for my kittens
The smell! :P Sorry, I couldn't resist

As far as I know, there is no difference other than particle size. Even then, there should be enough dust in the cat litter to "adhere" to the hat (or jacket) for the right effect..

For what it is worth, my jacket and Fed got the "Fuller's" look just from my sweeping some assorted powdered chemicals from the floor of the warehouse where I work. Two of the biggest chemicals in the mix? Talc and starch. These, in my opinion, can be used in a pinch (accidental hat humor).

As a word of caution, you may want to apply the kitty litter in another method other than rubbing it in. I do not know if it is abrasive or not, but you do not want to damage your hat if it is. I have also found that too much pressure while applying Fuller's can result in uneven patches.

Maybe you can find a finer grain at the end of the bag and brush it on using a round brush or maybe place the hat on it's brim (ouch) and pour handfuls of kitty litter on it and shake the excess off?

Sorry this is not much help. Good luck & Best Regards!
Last edited by rick5150 on Mon Dec 09, 2002 1:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Hummm

Post by Michaelson »

Rubbing one's self down with kitty litter in order to distress a jacket. ....You are starting to scare me, folks! :shock: :wink: Regards. Michaelson
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

I'd be leary of kitty litter... you may find an unexpected surprise left in a pocket! :wink:

Mike
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Well now...

Post by Michaelson »

...that would be the TRUE definition of 'distressing' to me! :shock: :D Regards. Michaelson
Renderking Fisk
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Renderking Fisk »

Carol mentions that Gold Bond Medicated Powder LONG before you even think of using Cat Litter in a pinch. The scent would be far more appealing and it's the one 9 out of 10 Dermatologist recommend for distressing IndyGear… (My joke, not hers!)
rick5150
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by rick5150 »

Carol mentions that Gold Bond Medicated Powder LONG before you even think of using Cat Litter
RK Fisk-
Is that off-white in color? I have been wondering what was commercially available to use "in a pinch." You never know when you may have a dire need to distress your jacket or hat.

Isn't whole-grain flour the right color. When you get hungry, you can lick your hat. I can see it now. Walking through the NH summer in an isolated area, when suddenly you hear people around you saying, "that's funny, I smell bread..."

I need sleep :oops:

Speaking of bread, that reminds me - and this is true. Part of my environmental job is to investigate odor complaints caused by various corporations (I know, it is really prestigious, huh). Anyways, there was a series of complaints several years ago related to a particular factory emitting strong smells. The fact that the "odor" was the smell of baking bread in the Wonder Bread factory in Natick, MA made me look at the human race a little differently. I am dead serious. That factory is no longer there...
MK
Admin Emeritus

Post by MK »

Fuller's is just a couple of bucks. Why try and come up with some funky, possible detrimental method?

100 years of motion pictures can't be wrong.
rick5150
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Don't try this at home...

Post by rick5150 »

MK,

I have Fuller's - it was supposed to be an "emergency use" replacement. I guess the intended humor of that fell flat :oops:

One of the other ingredients that was in the dust that I got all over my gear was soda ash. Since that is caustic, I got very nervous. I absolutely agree that we should not be goofing with unknown material on our precious gear, believe me. I had visions of the soda ash leaving all kinds of spots all over my jacket.

I blew it off with an air hose (sort of) and immediatley applied Pecard's to help neutralize the caustic. (So I keep extra Pecard's with me at work, so what - doesn't everybody?!? :?) I don't think kitty litter is that bad an alternative though....

Sorry about the misunderstanding... I was busy trying to make amends with another forum, since my posting was used to start the war :?
Indiana Philip
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana Philip »

The shot heard 'round the Indyworld.
Indiana Philip
Bogie1943
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Bogie1943 »

That has to be the strangest question about Indy Gear I have heard in a LONG TIME. But a welcome one.