two-tone IOAB

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

winrichwhips
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

two-tone IOAB

Post by winrichwhips »

Here's a pic of a two-tone IOAB bullwhip that I made today. It's kind of a change of pace from the usual brown IOABs.

Above is a pic of a buckskin stockwhip that I finished yesterday. This one is going to Jim Jarrell, aka racerx.

-Adam, www.winrichwhips.com
Indakin
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indakin »

cool looking whips Adam....now...can you make mine please? :D i want it so badly :whip:
winrichwhips
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by winrichwhips »

I think Jim placed the order for his deerhide whip back in November, and I think it was the same with the two-tone IOAB. The young man getting the IOAB didn't specify the colors, so I took some liberties with them. Now I'm pretty sure no one will have to wait longer than a month.

-Adam
Indakin
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indakin »

I hope so.... :?
Indiana_Hall
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor
Location: Where ya gotta go north to get to the deep South....

Post by Indiana_Hall »

Hey Adam,

As always, very nice looking work! Nice job on the two-tone IOAB, but I gotta say, that buckskin stockwhip is right purdy (it's the FL cracker in me - there will always be a special place in my heart for buckskin). My hat is off to you, like always....

Highest Regards,
-Indiana_Hall
jabahutt70
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by jabahutt70 »

Nice work Adam, as always! That 2-tone IOAB is similar-looking to a Wayne Grady whip I saw a pic of recently.

Steve.
Herr Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Herr Jones »

Adam,

Nice whips, the two-tone reminds me of the snake in the Haunted Mansion in Disneyland when it's decorated for The Nightmare Before Christmas. If I may ask what are you using for the handle in the stock whip?

Best,
Herr Jones
winrichwhips
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by winrichwhips »

Indiana Hall (aka Chris),

I figured you'd ask me 'how come that stockwhip is so small when my cow whip ended up so big?' You didn't, but here's an answer anyway. I decided that not every 12-plait whip has to have a plaited belly, and that stockwhip only has strips of buckskin on the inside of it. If I end up making any more buckskin cow whips I'll probably make 'em without plaited bellies as well.

It's hard for me, you know, since I always think of construction style before I think of the size of a whip, but with this one, since I have a few good stockwhips to look at, I knew that if it was going to be any good size (diameter) must come first.

Herr Jones,

The crop in the stockwhip is 3/8" fiberglass that was wrapped with waxed butcher paper to give it a taper.

-Adam
Indiana_Hall
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor
Location: Where ya gotta go north to get to the deep South....

Post by Indiana_Hall »

Hey Adam,

Hehe....The thought about the diameter did cross my mind, I will admit. I just didn't feel like I was in position to question you judgement.

I know what you mean about having a difficulty with guessing the finished whip's diameter. I started out making my nylon whips with a 10-plait belly, and I even tried out an 8-plait belly, but I discovered that this was creating the "pregnant sausage" effect that I try to avoid - that is why I do my whips with tapering strips of unplaited nylon now.

In all actuallity, most of the really old buckskin cowwhips I've seen are thinner and lighter. The old FL crackers had very limited resources, using whatever leather they could, so their whips were usually just 8 or (sometimes) 12 strands plaited around tapering strips of leather.

My advice to you with buckskin cowwhips and stockwhips in the future is to keep with the construction method you used on this stockwhip - it'll prove to be easier for you, and probably easier on your customers' arms :wink: . (Mind you, I love the whip you did for me, but it's still a workout to use it.)

I hope that my advice is helpful - I didn't mean to be so long-winded in my response... Just putting in my .02....

Highest Regards,
-Chris

P.S.: For what it's worth, I saw the recommendation you gave my whips over on the WWAC board - thank you very much!