S&W's Brand New Model 22-4; Real Close to Indy's

Need help finding an Indy Gun, want to discuss film used guns...

Moderator: Cajunkraut

Indy45
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

S&W's Brand New Model 22-4; Real Close to Indy's

Post by Indy45 »

Great article in Mar/Apr 2006 American Handgunner about a new offering from Smith & Wesson.

A 4 inch, blue, 45acp, N frame, Square Butt, groove rear sight revolver!! Case hardened hammer and trigger, 4 screw side plate, and old style cylinder release latch, too!

There are differences from the Indy Bapty; front sight is a rounded, pinned blade (more like the Stembridge); heavy shroud on the ejector rod (like the Hand Ejector Model 1); magna style grips without S&W medallions, and a keyed integral hammer safety lock. The firing pin is frame-mounted (not part of the hammer). Barrel lettering is "45 CAL. MODEL 1950", and -NO- lanyard ring.

Article said groups 2" at 15 yards, but no mention of list $$ price.

But a really Excellent looking filler for your Indy holster, no cutting or gunsmithing required! (You know how careful I am, Marcus!)

Regards,
Indy45
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

I wonder how much it's going to cost. Great looking gun. I hope they aren't to pricey.

I was looking at getting the S&W Model 10 .38 Special but now that I see this I may get it instead.

Pitfall
Indy45
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

OOoops

Post by Indy45 »

Reading back over my original post, I lent impression the Bapty was a 45ACP. It's the STEMBRIDGE (the non-shooter, suitcase gun) that was 45ACP.

The Bapty probably was either .455 Eley or 45 Long Colt. I'm still trying to verify the exact caliber.

All the ROTLA revolvers, I think, SHOULD have been 45ACP, particularly if they went with a 1911 45ACP auto instead of the HiPower 9mm in ROTLA. (Bad tactical decision to carry two different types of ammo in a far away location...)

We Strive for Accuracy, Written and Downrange...
Indy45
Mojave Jack
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Mojave Jack »

I think the piece your talking about is the Thunder Ranch Model 22.

Very nice! Thanks for giving us a heads up!
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

Yeah, it is......

It's a nice gun. I would like to get one myself someday but I don't have the cash right now.

By the way does anyone know what the going price on that gun is?

PITFALL
J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

I've seen the Thunder Ranch model 22 going in the $650 - $750 range. The reason its so expensive is because its a limited edition piece.
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

Great!

I wonder how long it will be around? $650-$750 is a little more than I wanted to spend on a revolver.

PITFALL
J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

I don't look for the price to change anytime soon. Handguns are just plain old expensive thses days.

Ona side note, don't rule out finding an original HE2. I got mine for $400. However, I never had it "Indyized".
Indy45
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Pitfall Harry - Here's an S&W M&P

Post by Indy45 »

Pitfall,

Here's an S&W Military and Police that I was lucky enough to find at a little VFD gunshow yesterday.

It's only K Frame .38 Special (kind of a lil Indy!) Hand Ejector, 5 screw; all numbers match, even the number pencilled on the back of the right grip. (S&W had a practice if writing in pencil the pistol s/n on the back of the right grip; something to look for as a collector.) The brass medallion grips indicate it was built 1910-1920 (I'm still checking, but due to s/n, I think it was built in 1916). Close in look to the Stembridge, but no lanyard ring. The pistol is an M&P '4th Change' because the s/n is later than 241703.

It was buffed and re-blued at some point, and the grips show a lot of hand wear. The gunshop seller said he thinks it came from a little WestVA police department trade-in.

The Model 10 came later, post WWII. The WWII "Victory" model will have the lanyard ring but sandblast blue or Parkerized finish and smooth walnut grips. Be careful if you find a .38/200 British Service revolver; it's like the Victory, but since the .38 S&W cartridge is a little smaller diameter than the S&W .38 Special, the gun isn't safe to shoot with .38 Special ammo.

Regards,
Indy45

P.S. The Staff of RA headpiece is a Magnoli with chain.
J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

Wow, that is an excellent find! When I got my HE2, my local gun shop had a very good condition Victory model .38 for around $400. If I had the extra cash at the time I would have bought it too.

The history of that piece is very interesting. My grandad is retired for the WVSP. However, by the time he join the department after Korea, they were using the Colt Offical Police.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Model 22, eh? That kind of throws me in regarding the usual Smith numbering system. The '22' number was usually reserved for .22 caliber type revolvers...such as the K-22 Masterpiece. The .45 calber number was usuall a model 25, a .44 caliber was a model 24, and so forth.

A model 22 is definitely a departure to the old system.

Interesting they'd go that route!
:-k
Neat!

High regards! Michaelson
J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

Yea, I thought that was very strange too. I never under stood why it wasn't the Thunder Ranch Model 25 instead of 22.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Could it be a possible typo? :-s

Regards! Michaelson
J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

Michaelson wrote:Could it be a possible typo? :-s

Regards! Michaelson
If it is, not only has S&W have it wrong, but so does several magazines. :lol:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

WELLLLL, you know how rumors get started.... :lol: 8)

Regards! Michaelson
Marlin_Fan
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Marlin_Fan »

I have one of the new revolvers. The trigger was smooth but heavy, this is to be expected from a handgun which could be used for self defense. Had the trigger slicked up a bit. Good shooter now. The old HE2/1917s are great guns, I have three 1917s. Remember, these are over 70 seventy years old and parts could be hard to find!
RonC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RonC »

Michaelson, the designation "Model 22"is correct for the .45 ACP revolver. When S&W changed over from the old system of designating their revolvers, the "Model of 1950 Military", which was the postwar designation for the updated Model 1917, became the Model 22. S&W just reverted to their older designation with this revolver. Intersetingly, the new Model 22-4 has "Model of 1950" stamped on the left side of the barrel.

Ron
Trebor
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Trebor »

I've swore off new Smith's due to the lock. But, this one is sooo tempting.
J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

Trebor wrote:I've swore off new Smith's due to the lock. But, this one is sooo tempting.
I hear ya! Its a shame that most of their revolvers are available in stainless only. :( There is nothing like a blued steel S&W revolver. Its about as cool as it gets! 8)
pigirondan
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by pigirondan »

Just ordered one. Lord have mercy.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

What did it set you back, if I may be so nosey? 8) :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

Hey, I want to be nosey too. :wink:

Congrats pigirondan! Be sure to give us a full report when you get it. :tup:
pigirondan
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by pigirondan »

Michaelson wrote:What did it set you back, if I may be so nosey? 8) :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
$846.99.
J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

It looks like the price has gone up some. It seems like they were going for around $750 when they first went into production.

:)
pigirondan
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by pigirondan »

J_Weaver wrote:It looks like the price has gone up some. It seems like they were going for around $750 when they first went into production.

:)
I was becoming concerned with availability.
J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

Yea, I not sure if there even in production now. Your lucky to be getting one. :tup:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Actually, not a bad price at all. :-k
When I was a gun dealer back in the late 70's, early 80's, all N-frame Smiths were sold to me wholesale directly from Smith for around $280. Suggest retail markup at that time was over double, so the cost could start at over $560, and climb from there. If you only paid that price in 2006 dollars, they've either held the line on costs, or they've lowered the wholesaler price.

Anyway, you didn't get hurt at all, my friend. WELL done!

Sorry to be nosey on that one....old professional curiousity got the best of me. :oops:

Regards! Michaelson
J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

Michaelson wrote:Suggest retail markup at that time was over double, so the cost could start at over $560, and climb from there. If you only paid that price in 2006 dollars, they've either held the line on costs, or they've lowered the wholesaler price.
Wow, would that go for the Mountian Gun too? I paid $574 for my Mountain Gun (new in box) and thats including the $20 dealer charges.
pigirondan
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by pigirondan »

Michaelson wrote:Actually, not a bad price at all. :-k
When I was a gun dealer back in the late 70's, early 80's, all N-frame Smiths were sold to me wholesale directly from Smith for around $280. Suggest retail markup at that time was over double, so the cost could start at over $560, and climb from there. If you only paid that price in 2006 dollars, they've either held the line on costs, or they've lowered the wholesaler price.

Anyway, you didn't get hurt at all, my friend. WELL done!

Sorry to be nosey on that one....old professional curiousity got the best of me. :oops:

Regards! Michaelson
No worries. I have a couple of 1911-A1's so ammo is not a problem. N-frames are for real. The practical application of the .45 ACP in a wheelgun is an overlooked possibility for self-defense. (It wasn't lost on Indy though!)
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

True....just a pain in the backside to reload. :lol: :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
pigirondan
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by pigirondan »

I payed for it yesterday, and did the paper work. It is even more sweet then I hoped for. Ten days until the range.
J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

pigirondan wrote:I payed for it yesterday, and did the paper work. It is even more sweet then I hoped for. Ten days until the range.
Congrats! Do you guys have a waiting period in CA?
pigirondan
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by pigirondan »

J_Weaver wrote:
pigirondan wrote:I payed for it yesterday, and did the paper work. It is even more sweet then I hoped for. Ten days until the range.
Congrats! Do you guys have a waiting period in CA?
Yes, a 10 day wait, and no more then one purchase a month, more or less.
J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

I never have understood the waiting period. :-k Around here all you do is fill out the paper work and the dealer calls the FBI (I assume) and they run your SS#. If your not a criminal you walk out with your gun.
pigirondan
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by pigirondan »

J_Weaver wrote:I never have understood the waiting period. :-k Around here all you do is fill out the paper work and the dealer calls the FBI (I assume) and they run your SS#. If your not a criminal you walk out with your gun.
I was filling out the paperwork around 3:30 yesterday afternoon. Mine was the 400th gun sold that day in California.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

I'm sure happy the great State of California is protecting us from ner-do-wells such as yourself, pigiron. :roll: :lol: :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
pigirondan
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by pigirondan »

Michaelson wrote:I'm sure happy the great State of California is protecting us from ner-do-wells such as yourself, pigiron. :roll: :lol: :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
Indeed.
pigirondan
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by pigirondan »

Through an ordering error on my part, I purchased 50 full-moon clips. Threehundred rounds ready to go may seem excessive, but how can you be too prepared?

Edited to reflect my ignorance to simple math. Thanks Bufflehead!
Last edited by pigirondan on Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Bufflehead Jones »

Wouldn't that be 300?
pigirondan
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by pigirondan »

Bufflehead Jones wrote:Wouldn't that be 300?
You are so right.
pigirondan
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by pigirondan »

Took the 22-4 to the range yesterday. I loaded up 15 Moon clips. Five each of 230gr. Ball, 230gr. hollow point, and 200gr. SWC. First up, SWC, all 6 in the black @ 25 yards, single action. Have mercy. All the rest double action, not all in the black, but quite satisfactory.

I shoot 1911's, so this wasn't a stretch to achieve, but still, I'm very pleased.
pigirondan
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by pigirondan »

I'll be trying some 230 grain lead round nose soon. Seems fitting.
dr. tyree
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by dr. tyree »

BTW, the current issue of Guns annual has an article mentioning this gun and other great six shooters, called "Curse of the Wheelwolf," by Massad Ayoob. It's a funny article, check it out if you get the chance. It refers to the gun as an "Indiana Jones style big bore Smith and Wesson sixgun" and states that S&W have sold more of this re-issue edition in the first two years than they did in the 21 years of production on the original edition. If this gun comes out in .45 LC, I am all over it. HUAH!
pigirondan
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by pigirondan »

dr. tyree wrote:BTW, the current issue of Guns annual has an article mentioning this gun and other great six shooters, called "Curse of the Wheelwolf," by Massad Ayoob. It's a funny article, check it out if you get the chance. It refers to the gun as an "Indiana Jones style big bore Smith and Wesson sixgun" and states that S&W have sold more of this re-issue edition in the first two years than they did in the 21 years of production on the original edition. If this gun comes out in .45 LC, I am all over it. HUAH!
Was Ayoob pro or con?
dr. tyree
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by dr. tyree »

Neither, it wasn't a review on this particular gun, but a celebration of revolvers in general and how they retain a devoted following even in the days of plastic framed jam-omatics. Ayoob is in the Revolver Liberation Alliance, a new booster group. This new Smith is one example he gives of how the revo isn't dead yet.

There is a current review out on this gun by John Taffin, who, as you might expect, absolutely loved it. Can't remember which magazine.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Ayoob is also the author of a couple self defense handbooks. He's definitely pro revolver, regardless of brand. :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
pigirondan
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by pigirondan »

I've switched up a bit. Swapped the Magna grips for some Pachmayr's. A good move to be sure. Double action shooting is more consistent.
s10lamarr
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by s10lamarr »

nice gun!!!!!
Mystique
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Did I want that gun!!!!

Post by Mystique »

On my recent vacation while visiting my sister in law in Ohio, we were in an older part of Columbus windowshopping. I happened to walk into a gun store and they had a model 22 Thunder Ranch. It was a beaut and only 650! Unfortunately I couldn't spend all my vacation money since I was still headed to NYC. Such is life :cry:
pigirondan
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by pigirondan »

I have 500 rounds down range. 200 grain SWC, 230 grain SWC, 230 grain FMJ and 230 grain FMJ-HP. The Ball and hollow points have been POA/POI @ 25 yards. Fantastic actually. Both SWC shot a bit low. This is a combat revolver.