A perfect job for Pecards.

Discuss technique for prolonging the life of your gear or giving it that aged look

Moderator: Dalexs

ob1al
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

A perfect job for Pecards.

Post by ob1al »

I thought some of you may appreciate this, although I hope it isn't too off topic...

I'm working on a project which requires the use of some antique leather pouches.

Here they are:

As soon as I saw them, I knew just what was required...I'd swear I heard the voice of Michaelson whispering in my ear (which was a little frightening, now I come to think of it) :wink: This was a job for...Pecards!:

Here they are all pecarded up and thanking me for it.

Image :)

Another one in the eye for old father time! These pouches will live to erm, pouch another day!

Regards

Al :)
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Atta boy!!!! Hearing voices now, eh? Told you I was the voice of conscience! :lol: :wink:

Well done. Let that soak in, then give it a good buffing with a clean dry cotton cloth (tee shirt, remember?) It will take on a nice warm glow, and not look wet. This is EXACTLY what Pecards was originally created for...restoration by museums of old leather. You're right on the mark here!

Regards! Michaelson
Mojave Jack
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Mojave Jack »

Michaelson wrote:This is EXACTLY what Pecards was originally created for...restoration by museums of old leather. You're right on the mark here!
Not to be contrary, Knower of Things, as you are a constant source of wisdom and knowledge, but actually, dressings are the enemy of leather museum pieces. Museum professionals hate leather that has been treated with dressings, particularly saddle soap. Since museum pieces are no longer used, they don't benefit from the lubrication effect of the oils and waxes, and the treatments actually accelerate the deterioration of the leather because the oils oxidize and harden over time (Pecards is an oil-based emulsion with blends of wax). Leather items then actually become more brittle than if they were left untreated. Dressings are great for leather that is in use, but don't put Pecards or any other dressing on leather you don't plan to use, like a screen used pair of Aldens. The best thing for leather show pieces is a) consistent temperature and humidity (especially the humidity; 35% to 70% RH is optimal), and b) low light levels, particularly natural light.
Feraud
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Feraud »

So if Pecards is not recommened for leather items that will not see daily use, what is the best treatment for an old leather suitcase?
I recently acquired one that looks a bit dry. I would like to clean and treat the case.
What is a recommended treatment?
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

You might want to go back and re-read the Pecards information site, Feraud. The original reason for the creation of the original Pecards leather dressing was by request of museums that had leather items in their collections that were dry rotting from non use, and as Mojave, saddle soap on non-used items is a true NO-NO!! Pecards created the dressing for that specific purpose, and it was then discovered to be a perfect dressing for field use as well. It may true in your part of the country, Mojave, but that's quite the contrary on this side of the country. They love the dressing, and for the reasons listed above. Guess it's different from museum to museum. In personal practice, I have used Pecards on VERY old and brittle leather that has been kept in storage. The leather is still in excellent condition after storage. Pecards was made specifically for the museum curator work, unlike other products that ARE harmful to old leather as mentioned in Mojave's post. He's dead on target there.

Still, museum practices may vary from region to region.

They also have a product (or did) called 'antique' leather dressing. It may be just the ticket for the brief case you own.

Regards! Michaelson
Last edited by Michaelson on Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:41 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Feraud
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Feraud »

Thank you Michaelson. I am going to do more reading.
If I can keep it Indy related, maybe I will post a few pictures. :)
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Post them anyway. It will be a good example of what Pecards can do to restore damaged and dry leather. :D

...and no, I'm NOT on Pecard's payroll. :roll: :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
ob1al
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by ob1al »

Well, it certainly worked a treat on the antique pouches. Here's a 'finished' pic:

Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Utini!
ob1al
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by ob1al »

You got it! :)

But I was really pleased with the way the Pecard restored the shine to the leather - in fact, they looked almost as good as new!
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Pecards is also good for repairing scuffs on leather shoes - I found that out on accident! :D I love Pecards - it really is great stuff, isn't it?

In Christ,
Shane