Strange "Raider" leather jacket.

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Strange "Raider" leather jacket.

Post by Pitfall Harry »

Well, I was searching for shirts on this site and I started browsing through the other stuff on this website and found this.

http://lostworldsinc.com/Raiders_Leathe ... Jacket.htm

I thought you guys might find this interesting. Take a look around the site they have plenty of different type of leather jackets. Also, check out the prices. :shock:

Enjoy!

Pitfall
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel
Location: DBSSWWD ~ "This is how we say goodbye to MIMES in Germany!"

Post by Indiana Jerry »

I will not repeat information I have heard about this vendor. That would be unfair. I only caution that you should look into this one before jumping. I'm referring you to www.thefedoralounge.com ...search for 'lost worlds' there to hear OTHER's experiences from them directly.

That is all.
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

I was just posting this to let you guys have a look. I had to laugh that it was called the "Raider" and it's an obvious attempt at an "alternative" Indy style jacket.

Pitfall
Texas Raider
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Texas Raider »

Those are some SERIOUS underarm gussets!! What are they expecting to wear it,,a Pterodactyl (sp?)

have a nice day.
rick5150
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by rick5150 »

That style was popular back in the days. Side-straps and button pocket flaps were all over the place back then. The word "Raider" does not always had to be assumed to mean Raider's of the Lost Ark. As fans, we make that association. :wink:

The description reads as follows:
"and is, in fact, of the sort that Harrison Ford wears in the Indiana Jones series"...

This is not entirely inaccurate as the jacket is kind of a modified military style. Just like "Based on a True Story" or "Based on True Events" does not mean they actually happened the way they were depicted. They just use the events as a base on which to build their story. The Lost Worlds jacket never claims to be THE jacket or a copy of THE jacket.
Last edited by rick5150 on Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

850 dollars???? Did i read wrong????
Swindiana
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Swindiana »

Yes, and there should be some info on them in the bowels of COW aswell....

Regards,
Swindiana
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Hemingway Jones »

You have opened up a can of worms with that one, my friend. That is the infamous G-8. It may be found here: http://www.flightjacket.com/store/detail.aspx?ID=8
The problem with the G-8? It probably never existed.

Our own Mojave Jack, who is an Air Force Historian, and archeologist, I might add, wrote to a colleague at the Museum of Naval Aviation.

Mojave posted this over at The Fedora Lounge here: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=5316 , and I am sure he wouldn't mind my posting it here.

"After researching written and photographic records, I can find no evidence to support the claims of such websites as uswings.com that a Type 440 (G8 ) flight jacket was ever issued to US Naval Aviators. The claims appear to be bogus. The Specification M-422A was the first jacket issued to Naval Aviators in the 1920s. A version of this jacket issued during the interwar and early WWII timeframe was the AN-J-3A. Both the M-422A and the AN-J-3A were almost exactly like the later G-1. I hope this information helps.

Respectfully,
Daniel Clifton
Collections Division Head
National Museum of Naval Aviation"

Mojave Jack is a wealth of knowledge on the subject and The Fedora Lounge is as well.
:D
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

I just thought the jacket looked goofy and the price was outrageous.

I wasn't recommending buying it or that it should be used for an Indy Jacket.

Who would pay $800 for a jacket? That jacket isn't even nice looking.

Pitfall
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

A part from good or bad looking... 800????? What is it a furcoat?? :lol: :lol:
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

erri_wan wrote:A part from good or bad looking... 800????? What is it a furcoat?? :lol: :lol:

Here's the thing I think it stated it was made of goatskin?

Pitfall
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Pitfall Harry wrote:I just thought the jacket looked goofy and the price was outrageous.

Pitfall
Sorry, I thought you wanted to learn something about it. My mistake.
J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

Hemingway Jones wrote:You have opened up a can of worms with that one, my friend. That is the infamous G-8. It may be found here: http://www.flightjacket.com/store/detail.aspx?ID=8
The problem with the G-8? It probably never existed.

Our own Mojave Jack, who is an Air Force Historian, and archeologist, I might add, wrote to a colleague at the Museum of Naval Aviation.

Mojave posted this over at The Fedora Lounge here: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=5316 , and I am sure he wouldn't mind my posting it here.

"After researching written and photographic records, I can find no evidence to support the claims of such websites as uswings.com that a Type 440 (G8 ) flight jacket was ever issued to US Naval Aviators. The claims appear to be bogus. The Specification M-422A was the first jacket issued to Naval Aviators in the 1920s. A version of this jacket issued during the interwar and early WWII timeframe was the AN-J-3A. Both the M-422A and the AN-J-3A were almost exactly like the later G-1. I hope this information helps.

Respectfully,
Daniel Clifton
Collections Division Head
National Museum of Naval Aviation"

Mojave Jack is a wealth of knowledge on the subject and The Fedora Lounge is as well.
:D
Thats really interesting. So, I wonder where the original design came from? It seems like everyone who makes military leather jackets has a version of the G-8. :-k
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

J_Weaver wrote:Thats really interesting. So, I wonder where the original design came from? It seems like everyone who makes military leather jackets has a version of the G-8. :-k
I have a theory, but then, I have a theory on everything! :wink:
I think that someone made it up as a sort of fictional predecessor to the Indy Jacket. If you accept the premise that the Indy jacket was based on a 1930's design, beyond the A-2 influence, then you would assume that there would be a jacket like this out there. I think someone took creative license and created one, then everyone else followed along.
That's my theory based purely on conjecture, except for the piece I learned from Mojave Jack. This is what I'll believe until someone shows me something more compelling.
J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

Hmm...Sounds good to me. :wink: :wink: If the first G-8's began to appear around 1982 or so then I wound say you've hit the nail on the head. :)
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

J_Weaver wrote:Hmm...Sounds good to me. :wink: :wink: If the first G-8's began to appear around 1982 or so then I wound say you've hit the nail on the head. :)
That would be conclusive evidence.
I wonder if there is a library of catalogues somewhere??? From there, one could find the earliest mention of it.
J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

Hemingway Jones wrote:I wonder if there is a library of catalogues somewhere??? From there, one could find the earliest mention of it.
I remember Avirex selling G-8's years ago. I wonder if they would tell us when they first started making them?
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel
Location: DBSSWWD ~ "This is how we say goodbye to MIMES in Germany!"

Post by Indiana Jerry »

Pitfall Harry wrote:I just thought the jacket looked goofy and the price was outrageous.

Pitfall
hahaha...don't worry, Pitfall, I only posted what I did because I couldn't tell from the dry humor of your post if you were laughing or not. (a smilie :) , better yet a laughie :lol: - or even a barfie :-0 - can do wonders for getting that impression across...) Don't worry, I understood what you meant about the prices. ( :shock: ) :lol:

Yep, it's clearly not screen accurate to Raiders, but as Rick pointed out, that's understandable. Just wanted to make sure any newbies coming across this didn't necessarily mistake this for a good idea. ;)
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

Ya know I was thinking at the time I found this site that I might have found something that you guys had never seen before. Silly me. :)

It had to have come out in the 80's. It just reminds me of some type of design you'd see in a department store in that period of time.

I still don't know how anyone can offer a leather jacket at that price and expect people to buy it.

Pitfall
Baggers
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Baggers »

Pitfall Harry wrote:I still don't know how anyone can offer a leather jacket at that price and expect people to buy it.

Pitfall
If it's an exact, stitch for stitch reproduction of an actual flight jacket, say a USAAF A-2, then plenty of people. Check out the prices at places like Aero Leathers of Scotland, Real McCoy's New Zealand, or Buzz Rickson out of Japan and you'll see what I mean. These firms make copies of jackets from wartime manufacturers that are either close to or precisely like the originals down to the color of thread and type of zipper used. And like Wested, they will make you a jacket out of different types and colors of leather with certain contract specific pocket configurations and knit colors and to your own custom size requirements. The Japanese market for these high end repros is particularly intense.

It's just a whole 'nother level in the reproductions market.

Cheers!
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

Baggers wrote:
Pitfall Harry wrote:I still don't know how anyone can offer a leather jacket at that price and expect people to buy it.

Pitfall
If it's an exact, stitch for stitch reproduction of an actual flight jacket, say a USAAF A-2, then plenty of people. Check out the prices at places like Aero Leathers of Scotland, Real McCoy's New Zealand, or Buzz Rickson out of Japan and you'll see what I mean. These firms make copies of jackets from wartime manufacturers that are either close to or precisely like the originals down to the color of thread and type of zipper used. And like Wested, they will make you a jacket out of different types and colors of leather with certain contract specific pocket configurations and knit colors and to your own custom size requirements. The Japanese market for these high end repros is particularly intense.

It's just a whole 'nother level in the reproductions market.

Cheers!

Oh, I could understand the price under those conditions but from the info i gathered from the other threads and sites this jacket's pattern never exsisted. It's a replica of nothing from what I understand.

I think the jacket would be alot nicer looking without all of those zig zag designs on the sleeves.

Thanks for the input though. :)

Pitfall
Baggers
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Baggers »

Pitfall Harry wrote:
Baggers wrote:
Pitfall Harry wrote:Oh, I could understand the price under those conditions but from the info i gathered from the other threads and sites this jacket's pattern never exsisted. It's a replica of nothing from what I understand.

I think the jacket would be alot nicer looking without all of those zig zag designs on the sleeves.

Thanks for the input though. :)

Pitfall
Pitfall,
I think I understand now where you're coming from, and yes, you're right, why lay down that kind of jack for a jacket pattern of dubious origins. All I can supply in the way of an answer is to remind you of that old saying "there's a sucker born every minute, and two to take him." :roll:

Oh and FYI, those upper "zig zags" on the sleeves are the front half of a diamond shaped reinforcing elbow patch. Some real jackets actually had them. :wink:

Cheers!
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

The zig zag patterens reminded me of the type of patterns you'd see on 80's style leather jackets.

Well, chalk this jacket up to another odd curiosity that can be added to the COW files. ;)

Pitfall
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

Hahahahah....

That's hilarious. :tup:

Pitfall