Ordered My First AB!!! :)

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

IndyTaz
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Ordered My First AB!!! :)

Post by IndyTaz »

:D G'day Folks. Well...I just sent my order off to Steve for my 1st AB.
Boy am I excited:) I am going with a Beaver felt "Raiders" a Cairo streets look. Can't wait. Yes...I will post pics as soon as it arrives. I expect it late Febuary/March hopefully.

Regards
IndyTaz
Hoosier
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Hoosier »

Hello IndyTaz.
I am new to COW. Only my 2nd post. Not much seeming to be going on over there with Bertie & Jeeves. . . Anyway, I just ordered my 1st Adventurebilt, too! Can hardly wait. I went with the Raven Bar look, beaver.
Best Regards,
Hoosier
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

AB

Post by BendingOak »

both of you guy's are just going to love it. I have two AB and love them so much.
IndyTaz
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndyTaz »

Hoosier...congrats and hey we can be AB Beaver buddies :lol: Mmm...Bertie & Jeeves????

I have noticed some lids look really tall on folk. A bit weird to my eye. Is that a good look? I don't want that I don't think. Should I say something to Steve about my order? I don't want to compromise my authenticity quota:) Is it just a head proportion thing?

Hey thanks Penman!!! Finally nice to be going to join the fraternity:) I am already a member of the Original MKVII Club. Can't wait to be inducted into the Wested Clan :lol: That's next.

Regards
TAZ
Hoosier
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Hoosier »

Yes, thanks JPenman. . . I know your right!

IndyTaz, about the height/proportion. . . Steve is definitely the expert. I would go ahead and ask him about it. He certainly was extremely patient & helpful with me. . . and did ever ask him a ton of questions!
Hoosier
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Hoosier »

I. . .
. . . that's did I ever ask him a ton of questions.

Gotta try that preview button.
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Hemingway Jones »

IndyTaz wrote:I have noticed some lids look really tall on folk. A bit weird to my eye. Is that a good look? I don't want that I don't think. Should I say something to Steve about my order? I don't want to compromise my authenticity quota:) Is it just a head proportion thing?
Regards
TAZ
Hello Taz,
Congratulations on the AB. :wink:
As to the height, well, that's a Raiders fedora. It is going to feel really really tall when you first get it. It may be a bit of a shock. :shock: You may be rather self-conscious, at first. You may feel as if you're wearing a top hat. Soon that goes away and you can see yourself only in a tall crowned fedora.

As an aside, I have a vintage Borsalino with, what has to be, a 6" crown. That hat is tall.

As another aside, I think the Dorfman is so low crowned and tapered, not because they couldn't make it accurate or that they don't know, but because of a marketing decision to make a hat in a shape with more mass appeal. That's my theory.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Ab

Post by BendingOak »

Hemimgway is right about the height of the hat.You wll get hooked on it in a real short time.
If you have any concerns you can always contact " the Man " " The Master " "Fedora " aka MR Steve Delk ( oh go on take a bow already ). :clap: :clap: :clap:

In my experience one of the all time best custermer service. Thank you once again Mr Delk.
IndyTaz
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndyTaz »

:D Thanks again guys. Nice to hear expert advice :)

Regards
TAZ
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

Congratulations Taz :D:D:D:D:D happy to hear you bought one at last :clap:
IndyTaz
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndyTaz »

:D Hey thanks Erri...I have to be honest, it was you that inspired me. When you finally had your Wested with your AB pics up I thought...wow!!! It really is possible to achieve greatness! lol Seriously though I really love the kit you have put together!! It did inspire me that anyone can start from nothing and get there in the end...eventually :D Probably....hopefully...with lotsa money and help from COW :wink:

TAZ
Last edited by IndyTaz on Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

what can i say... THANKS :notworthy:
Rusty Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist
Location: Raleigh, NC, Running from the Havitos (my (ex)girlfriends' parents)

Post by Rusty Jones »

Hoosier wrote:I. . .
. . . that's did I ever ask him a ton of questions.

Gotta try that preview button.
(Note I use preview a lot but still make mistakes, if you need to correct a mistake to a post or add more info before someone else responds, you can always edit your own posts by clicking the edit button in your post's window... :c)

You guys are gonna get some great hats, I've got an AB Beaver Raven Bar too and it is one of the coolest things I own...

Welcome to the Forum Hoosier, and to the AB club both of you, cant wait for pics!
Hoosier
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Hoosier »

Thanks Rusty for the good info on the edit feature, and thanks for the welcome as well. I can hardly wait for my AB!
Regards,
Hoosier
prairiejones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: In the damp jungles of Peru, drinking Dewar's with Pagey.

Post by prairiejones »

Congrats!!
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

I have a quick question about the AB hats.

If you guys were going through what Indy did in the films which hat would be tougher and last longer in those conditions the Akubra Deluxe or the AB hat?

I love the look of the AB hat and I would like to get one someday but I also plan on using my hat in all types of conditions and I want to know it's going to hold up. I wouldn't want to invest that kind of money into something that I would have to "baby" all the time.

Not trying to diss the hat or anything I just want to gather as much info as I can on this stuff before I purchase something that may not be right for me.

PITFALL
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

Depends. I haven't ever owned an Akubra, but this is my judgement just based on having read reviews on them.

Which hat would be more likely to come out unfazed? The Akubra. By a nose.

Which hat would be the one that could survive all that, and endure reblock after reblock after reblock? The AB

It's like the difference between a sprinter and a marathon runner. :junior: -IJ
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

hat

Post by BendingOak »

please someone correst me if I'm wrong.but isn't the fed rabbit? If that the case I would think the pure beaver would win hands down.
Indakin
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indakin »

well i dont own an AB but i jsut got my Fed Deluxe and its amazing, check out the pics in the post.
viewtopic.php?t=15840
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

hat

Post by BendingOak »

just checked out you fed delux, and you did a great job bashing it( it looks great).
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

MorgonKenbur wrote:well i dont own an AB but i jsut got my Fed Deluxe and its amazing, check out the pics in the post.
viewtopic.php?t=15840
Saw the hat and it makes me want to buy one. How much was yours after taxes and shipping?

I guess my the main thing I'm concerned about is dropping a lot of cash down on a hat (which by the way looks awsome) and having something bad happen to it while I was wearing it like it blows off and I loose it or something else sinister happens.

It looks to me like the Fed. Deluxe is a great looking sturdy hat for a good price. Again, I'm not dissing the AB because if I won the lottery I'd buy a whole closet full of those things. :)

PITFALL
Indakin
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indakin »

Pitfall Harry wrote:
Saw the hat and it makes me want to buy one. How much was yours after taxes and shipping?

I guess my the main thing I'm concerned about is dropping a lot of cash down on a hat (which by the way looks awsome) and having something bad happen to it while I was wearing it like it blows off and I loose it or something else sinister happens.

It looks to me like the Fed. Deluxe is a great looking sturdy hat for a good price. Again, I'm not dissing the AB because if I won the lottery I'd buy a whole closet full of those things. :)

PITFALL
Pitfall i agree, i would def by a AB if the cash was flowing. As far as my Deluxe Fed it cost 148 total. It was about 20 bucks for shipping i think, since the hats only 120ish. I heard the regular fed isnt that much differnt than the deluxe, jsut that the deluxe has better quality rabbit, but not by alot i was told. All i know is this hat is amazing, its not a cheap hat at all. As far as it blowing off your head, i dont think ill ever have that problem. I measured my head and then i had to pick for going up 1/4 of and inch or down, so i went down and it was a good choice. The hat will always stretch some. Bashing the hat was really easy too, and formed just how i wanted. GL! :tup: