War of the Worlds jacket

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Mr. Das
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

War of the Worlds jacket

Post by Mr. Das »

Has anyone figured out which company made Tom Cruise's jacket? It looks like a Wested. It even has the pleats in the back.

I remember threads in the past, but no one had an answer. I also tried e-mailing Wested, but I haven't heard from them(it's been about 2 weeks).
Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

Post by Pyroxene »

If I had to roll dice on it, I would say Wested...they already have Tom's measurements on file.
Krzysztof Smigiel
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Krzysztof Smigiel »

When I saw the movie trailer I also noticed the pleats on the jacket... I think that Wested made the jacket for Tom Cruise, althougt it is my private note.

PS. They once made a jacket(s) for Minority Report where Mr. Cruise starred in, though...
Swindiana
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Swindiana »

I went to see it this weekend. Really cool jacket to boot!

Did you hear back from Wested yet? :-k

Regards,
Swindiana
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Swindiana wrote:Did you hear back from Wested yet? :-k

Regards,
Swindiana
When i went over a couple of weeks ago I asked Peter just that. He said that it wasn't them who had done the WOW jacket. You are right, nice jacket. I bet Peter could make a schweeet replica! It looks like goat in the movie.

These people are making one:

http://www.belstaff.net/belstaff_english/home.html

"Hero Jacket"

KT

I saw WOW this weekend too, stunning FX, have to see it again in a few months to know if it was really a "great" movie or just a good one.
Cyan
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Cyan »

I actually bought this jacket based on what I read here. It's all your fault Kt Templar that I'm 1,375$ poorer. I had to ask for a few favors for that, but it was worth every penny. You can get it at the shops that the belstaff site lists, if there are none in your area you can call and have one of them ship it to you (which is what I did) Anyway, You should order a size up without a doubt. The best comparison that I can come up with is if you tend to wear Medium size jackets at someplace like Banana Republic, then you SHOULD CERTAINLY get a large. But it is FIRST a motorcycle jacket so keep that in mind on the fit, if you want room get two sizes larger (especially if you fall on the M/L border). (the jacket also comes lightly pre-distressed)

Anyway, sorry to revive a long dead thread.
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Cyan wrote:I actually bought this jacket based on what I read here. It's all your fault Kt Templar that I'm 1,375$ poorer.
:shock: I'm sorry I had no idea it was so expensive! You can have the bunk across the dorm from me in the Poorhouse of Doom.

I bet it is fabulous. That's a silly question, of course we want to see pics D'oh!
Cyan
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Cyan »

I can't really blame you for it. It was actually my new years resolution to have a jacket just like it even if I'd have to get it custom or make it myself. I'll work on the pics this weekend. I has quite the broken in feeling to it, and waterproof to boot (remember, motorcycle jacket) Now I'm planning to buy more Belstaff stuff Coagar Blouson :shock: Not only that but just before getting this I ordered myself a Wested :twisted: My family thinks I'm mental.

But the Hero Jacket was totally worth OCD label.
Last edited by Cyan on Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Hemingway Jones »

I'm sure you fellows know that Belstaff made Leo DiCaprio's jacket from "The Aviator." -But I thought I'd mention it. :wink:
Indyjim
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indyjim »

Hemingway, what is the name of DiCaprio's jacket? Is it listed on the Belstaff website?
Last Crusader
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Last Crusader »

It´s the "Howard Blouson"
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Last Crusador is right on the name.
The jacket looked really cool in the movie, but Belstaff is marketing it to a different audience than I would expect. This jacket can be bought from Belstaff's London store over the telephone though, if you're interested.

Here is a link to Belstaff's site.
Last Crusader
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Last Crusader »

When even the quite simple "Hero Jacket" costs 1,375$, what do they want to have for this beauty? :roll:
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Last Crusader wrote:When even the quite simple "Hero Jacket" costs 1,375$, what do they want to have for this beauty? :roll:
I'm not sure. I didn't try to buy one.
I love the jacket on Leo in the film, but out of context... I don't think so.
Indyjim
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indyjim »

I'm sure there would be some double takes wearing that jacket.
Cyan
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Cyan »

Last Crusader wrote:When even the quite simple "Hero Jacket" costs 1,375$, what do they want to have for this beauty? :roll:
Don't quote me on the price But I have seen it listed somewhere between 600-800 but I can't remember exactly, I just know it was cheaper than the Hero Jacket, believe it or not. Belstaff has been a long time Motorcycle gear manufacturer, I belive that's where they push most of thier products to (and high cost markets obviously).
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Cyan wrote:Don't quote me on the price But I have seen it listed somewhere between 600-800 but I can't remember exactly, I just know it was cheaper than the Hero Jacket, believe it or not. Belstaff has been a long time Motorcycle gear manufacturer, I belive that's where they push most of thier products to (and high cost markets obviously).
The sites that I have seen where they were marketing their products embarrassed me! It was a very different demographic than I was used to; not that there's anything wrong with it.
Texas Raider
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Texas Raider »

Are you telling us that the "hero" jaclet is ONE THOUSAND, THREE HUNDRED AND SEVENTY-FIVE DOLLARS?,, U.S. Dollars??

Can you say EX-PLOY-TAY-SHUN! :roll:

Guess I'll delete that one from my "favorites" :cry:

That's absurd!! :shock:

BUT,

have a nice day all the same :wink:
Bjones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bjones »

Wow....that's a pretty penny...a whole lot of them. I knew that stuff was going to be pricey - i checked where they sell there stuff, Bloomingdales etc, and here in MI at a store in Birmingham which is a very upscale suburb of Detroit. A few of their jackets do look very nice, but they don't even tell you what kind of leather their stuff is made of....
PETER
Vendor

Post by PETER »

We did NOT make the WOW jacket but have costed the jacket to be replicated at £155. If anyone is interested email me.
Cheers
Peter
Bjones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bjones »

That works out to be roughly $274 US....not bad at all. What hide does this correspond to Peter or will we have our choice as with the other jackets?
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

PETER wrote:We did NOT make the WOW jacket but have costed the jacket to be replicated at £155. If anyone is interested email me.
Cheers
Peter
Peter! What are you doing to me! You are an evil, evil man.

KT.
Flattery
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Flattery »

We did NOT make the WOW jacket but have costed the jacket to be replicated at £155. If anyone is interested email me.
That works out to be roughly $274 US....not bad at all.
:-s :-k :shock: :D \:D/ =P~
Texas Raider
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Texas Raider »

OOOHHHHHH YEEAAHHHH!!! Peter to the rescue \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ You are THE BEST Mr. Botwright!! :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
IndyBlues
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndyBlues »

I was in Sears yesterday looking for a work jacket, and came a cross a copy of the WOW jacket. Looked pretty close, but unfortunately, it wasn't real leather. Looked and felt like it, but wasn't. Good news is they were blowing them out for $23.00!! If anything, it would be a cool knock-around jacket. Even had artificial distressing, lol.
'Blues
Alan Eardley
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Belstaff

Post by Alan Eardley »

I used to work for Belstaff in the early 1970s. We used to make functional, tough and practical protective clothing for people to took part in severe and demanding activities - motorcycling, shooting, mountaineering and the military - at an affordable price. World champions, men and women of action and heros all wore Belstaff with pride.

I think it is a profound shame to see the clothing that Belstaff's Italian owners are producing now. In my opinion. jackets like the one shown above are purely fashion items and are unworthy of the name.
Texas Raider
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Texas Raider »

I'm glad Cyan told us the cost here. Before this thread cam up, I actually emailed these bums about 5 times asking the cost of this jacket. They NEVER answered my emails. That NEVER builds much confidence in a company as far as I am concerned.

have a nice day.
Texas Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Texas Jones »

I was in Sears yesterday looking for a work jacket, and came a cross a copy of the WOW jacket. Looked pretty close, but unfortunately, it wasn't real leather. Looked and felt like it, but wasn't. Good news is they were blowing them out for $23.00!! If anything, it would be a cool knock-around jacket. Even had artificial distressing, lol.
What is the brand/stock number of these? For 23 bucks I'm headed to Sears!
Flattery
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Flattery »

Has anyone else inquired about Wested's replication of this jacket? I sent them an e-mail but, alas, no response yet. Anyone have info on the availability of this item?
Texas Raider
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Texas Raider »

Give 'em a call. Talk to Peter in person. What do you want to know, I'll call and ask 'em. I work nights, so I'm awake at that time anyway. I give 'em a call every so often.

have a nice day.
Flattery
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Flattery »

Unfortunately my phone doesn't allow me to make international calls (I only have a cell), and at this point in time I'm flat broke, so the idea of buying an international calling card doesn't appease me :roll:

If you happen to speak to him, would you mind asking him whether the jacket is available for replication/purchase immediately, and if any additional measurements are needed (other than what is required for an Indy jacket)? Those are my chief concerns.

Thanks in advance -- I do appreciate it :wink: Don't go out of your way to call him or anything just because of my curiosity.

EDIT: I forgot -- if you are able to speak with him about this, I wonder what the best method would be for placing the order, whether by phone or e-mail, when I have the cash. I'll do whatever works best for Wested.
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

I've talked with him, they haven't got a sample to show yet. I believe the pattern is ready. (Peter?)

You'd be pioneering the new jacket I suspect, email sizing with all the normal Indy jacket sizes would be the start.

Regards,

Kt.
Flattery
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Flattery »

Thanks for the info, Templar. I hope to place an order for one within the next month.
Texas Raider
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Texas Raider »

Sorry I didn't check COW for a couple days, Flattery. Thanks for pickin' it up KT!!

If ever need me to call him, Flattery, if you want to know something or place an order, give me a holler. I've done it for people before. (even purchased it with my credit card and they paid me back).

Never a problem for me to call 'em! :wink:

have a nice day.
Flattery
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Flattery »

Thanks Texas, I truly appreciate that :D Once my tax return rolls in, I'll surely take you up on it. :wink:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Texas Raider wrote:Sorry I didn't check COW for a couple days, Flattery. Thanks for pickin' it up KT!!

If ever need me to call him, Flattery, if you want to know something or place an order, give me a holler. I've done it for people before. (even purchased it with my credit card and they paid me back).

Never a problem for me to call 'em! :wink:

have a nice day.
:clap: :tup:

High regards!

Michaelson
IndianaJames
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndianaJames »

I had a custom WOTW jacket made myself, down to the last detail. If get a picture or two up if anyone wants to see it. Not sure if my leather seamstress would make another one though.
Anybody else notice, the "Racing Blouson" is the same jacket Cyclops wears in the new XMEN 3 movie?? Pretty cool....

I J
IndianaJames
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndianaJames »

http://public.fotki.com/jamesravenwood/

A couple pics of the WOTW jacket, the flash really brought out the white striping, in reality I have dulled it down quite a bit with black shoe polish. Id say the collar snaps were the hardest part to figure out. The leather in real life looks like the second darker pic. There are so many small details on this jacket, like the stitching around the cuffs, and bottom, the side vent zips, sleeve zips, the raglan sleeve stitch on the front, and so on. If anyone is going to have Wested replicate it, and want some ideas, lemme know. Ive got tons of behind the scene set pics of Cruise in the jacket.

I J

Also notice the "Cougar Bloussan" is the jacket Mark Wahlberg wore in "Four Brothers"....
Cyan
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Cyan »

Pretty nice, the only differences I can see from the one I bought is the lining and the zip is a double zipper. I see you also got the J-Crew sweater yes?

I'll have to put some pics up of mine like I said I would...
IndianaJames
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndianaJames »

Interesting, I just picked up some sweater at the gap that was the same color. I picked out the lining at some fabric store near my home....thought it would be more interesting than plain old brown or black. Also I did manage to find a double two way zipper, guess its hard to see in the pics. I would like to see shots of the official jacket though!

I J
Cyan
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Cyan »

I'll get them pictures up then... tomorrow "I promise" :twisted:

The sweater is:

http://jcrew.com/catalog/product.jhtml? ... d=cat82047

That one, in Navy. It's actually a pretty nice sweater. Before I knew what it was and where to get it I looked around in tons of stores for a generic one, I think I saw the one you got at gap actually. The J-Crew by my house had them so I didn't have to get it online.

Here's the embarrassing backup that shows how I gained the knowledge:

http://www.shefinds.com/blog/index.php/ ... ds_take_2/
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Folks, we've let this one pretty much run it's course, as it's now completely departed from ANY relationship to Indygear. (we left it alone when it was discussing the possibility of Wested being involved), but now we're so far off the rails, it's time to close this one down.

Move along......

Regards!

Michaelson