I can't let it go!

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

The real Henry
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

I can't let it go!

Post by The real Henry »

I bought I wested lamb from a COW member and now it arrived, BUT I got a shock!!!! :shock: It's too small! ](*,) But I can't send it back cause you don't get a Wested for 80$ every day! So is it possibly to send it to Peter to let be changed or do I have to say Good by to it? :cry:

Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Well, one of the problems is it appears you have the side straps pulled so tight, it's GOING to feel small. Those straps are only intended to keep the sides and action pleats from gapping. You have them so snug, I'm surprised you haven't torn the side pockets. :shock: Let them out about half way and see how it feels.

I bet you'll be surprised. It looks fine otherwise.

Regards! Michaelson
ob1al
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by ob1al »

I agree with Michaelson!

It looks like a good fit aside from the side straps being too bunched up.

Maybe you won't need to part with it after all, eh? :)
Jorenz
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Jorenz »

I think it looks fine. Good fit. It almost looks like the 80's cut
Odysseus
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Re: I can't let it go!

Post by Odysseus »

[quote="The real Henry"]So is it possibly to send it to Peter to let be changed or do I have to say Good by to it? :cry:

I just wrote to Wested inquiring about haveing some of the newer features incorporated into my old jacket. I was told, with the exception of replacing the lining, that once the jacket was made, it could not be altered. I didn't even need any resizing done, which I imagine would be much more difficult than the things I was asking about.
Snakewhip_Sable
Scoundrel

Post by Snakewhip_Sable »

Looks like it fits to me. A fine lookin' jacket.
J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

I aslo, agree with Michealson. Relax those side straps a bit. The fit looks perfect to me.
Dr._J
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Dr._J »

Dude, for $80 you can't lose! Loosen the sidestraps and wear the heck out of it! It looks great!

P.S. Unzip it also! Makes a world of difference!
Obiwampa
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Obiwampa »

Whats the chest size??
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

The arms a little too short - but it's passable. I'd say just wear and enjoy it.
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

The jacket looks the right size, loosen the straps a bit and it should feel fine. Looking at you you probaby will grow out of it though and will have to pass it on in a couple of years to another young'un, well be watching... eighty dollars.... not a cent more. ;)

Hereditary Wested, what a great idea, natural distressing built in.
Bjones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bjones »

Dude..keep it. I've paid more money for jackets that fit much worse. The only thing you have against you is that as others have mentioned, you may grow out of it. You have quite a gem there for very little bank...enjoy that Wested!
Feraud
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Feraud »

The jacket does not look bad at all. Loosen the straps and enjoy it!
Indiana
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana »

Remember, the Raiders jacket isn't supposed to be loose and baggy. It looks great on you, so like everyone else said, losen those side straps and wear it!!! :D :D
Kilgour Trout
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Sleeve's lengthened?

Post by Kilgour Trout »

Hey fella's: Couldn't he just get the sleeve's lengthened and then treat the cuff area with some Pecards? I'm sure Peter leaves a bit of extra leather for just such circumstances.

What do folks think?

If its not too tight in the chest, everything else looks really good.

Just a thought
Kilgour Trout
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Hemingway Jones »

That jacket is perfect, Henry. Just keep it.
I think, perhaps, you're not used to a tailored fit. American fashions are typically oversized. The English, and other Europeans, generally favor a more tailored fit.
This is tailored. Enjoy it. It looks great. :D
The real Henry
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by The real Henry »

I know the straps are too tight in this pics, but my real problem are the sleeves! Hmmm... maybe this one shows it up better! They are really a bit too short!

Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Not in that top pic, they're not. With your arms up, of course they're going to be short. These jackets are cut like suit jackets and they'll do that same thing. But none of use can convince you. Get measured and buy a Wested for full price and it will fit the same way, I betcha'!
Cyan
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Cyan »

I know the straps are too tight in this pics, but my real problem are the sleeves! Hmmm... maybe this one shows it up better! They are really a bit too short!
Anyone’s sleeves do that with arms extended like that. A sleeve test is standing normally arms at your side, the sleeves should extend to the first knuckle on the thumb. From your other pic it seems like it has maybe another inch to go. If you take the jacket to a tailor they should be able to extend the sleeve using the extra material rolled into the cuff.
The real Henry
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by The real Henry »

@HJ: They're cut like suits? Well thanks someone told me! :roll: I don't think that makes sense for an adventure jacket, does it? Maybe I you wanted it to fit like my old leather jacket! (I'll post pics to show the difference!)

Anyway you all made me think and I'll maybe not send it back!! I think I can sell when Indy IV is coming out and there will be some new teens who will need a wested. :wink:
Zach R.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Zach R. »

Well, suits *once* allowed for great mobility, so it is cut like a VINTAGE suit jacket, not a modern sack-suit.
The real Henry
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by The real Henry »

Yep, that are exactly my thought the low armholes of nowadays are just total sh#t!!!
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Leather rides up. That's just how it is.
Pandora
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Pandora »

Henry I also think the sleeves are a little too short but that's not a problem so don't make it a problem. they are still long enough. for that price it's fine. keep it as long as it fits you - if you grow out of it you still can sell it. I think my wested is a little too baggy and too wide on the shoulders but I don't mind (since I'm not one of the perfectionists ;-)).
another think that I don't like on my wested are the d-rings... because they don't hold the straps tight (or maybe I have the wrong technique to fasten them) but I'm proud to have a wested (I wanted one since I was 12 or so) and it's still a great jacket. sorry, it's not a jacket, it's a Wested!

is yours an authentic or a dark brown lambskin?
The real Henry
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by The real Henry »

Exactly, wear it how you like! I think if I'll keep it, I'll let it be changed cause there is still some leather that can be let out!

Marc
Vendor

Post by Marc »

I didn't read the entire thread, so forgive if this has been posted already.

Look inside the front of the sleeve and you'll realize, that there's som "extra leather" on the inside, which can be folded to the outside (part of it that is). That should give you another inch or two.

Regards,

Marc
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Pandora wrote:Henry I also think the sleeves are a little too short but that's not a problem so don't make it a problem. they are still long enough. for that price it's fine. keep it as long as it fits you - if you grow out of it you still can sell it. I think my wested is a little too baggy and too wide on the shoulders but I don't mind (since I'm not one of the perfectionists ;-)).
another think that I don't like on my wested are the d-rings... because they don't hold the straps tight (or maybe I have the wrong technique to fasten them) but I'm proud to have a wested (I wanted one since I was 12 or so) and it's still a great jacket. sorry, it's not a jacket, it's a Wested!

is yours an authentic or a dark brown lambskin?
Pandora,

Nice to see you around, you still havent posted pics of you in your new jacket. 8)

The D rings are easy to change, if Wested can send you some sliders you can do it at home. Just turn then around and prise them open they will slip off easily. I've not seen the reverse side of the d rings so dont know if they are welded. If so they should be easy to cut off with the right tools. I know the sliders are open ended.
Jens
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Jens »

Kt Templar wrote:Pandora,

Nice to see you around, you still havent posted pics of you in your new jacket. 8)
Yeah, he's absolutely right! :wink: :D

(oh - KT: Don't use that in your signature. 8) :wink: )
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

It's Ok, Jens. It only hurts when you get it wrong.
Jens
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Jens »

Yeah, I was just kidding. :wink:
The real Henry
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by The real Henry »

Now it's clear to me: This baby WILL stay in good ol' Germany!
Rusty Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist
Location: Raleigh, NC, Running from the Havitos (my (ex)girlfriends' parents)

Post by Rusty Jones »

Nah... the jacket's a total loss... you might as well sell it to me for 80 bucks and get your money back ;c)

Just kidding, it looks great... Watch "Snakes, Why did it have to be Snakes" and look at Indy's sleeves... also, unless your Ford's hight, that size will be a lot more comfortable to wear in full gear with a bag/holster... looks good man, I'd like to see an unzipped pic...
The real Henry
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by The real Henry »

Your right, even the film jacket sleeves looked like that! I saw it yesterday when ToD was on TV here (REALLY bad version, cause they cut away half of the film!). And here is what you want:

to bad I can't wear it with my Indy-fedora at the moment as you can read in another thread! :oops: But my 1930s Mallory work, too.
Rusty Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Rusty Jones »

looks good... looks very very good :c) I'd recomend trying to bend the collar out some a-la the opening of raiders, but its whatever your prefrences are...

EDIT: Curious, is it really 2003 there? ;c) just wondering
The real Henry
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by The real Henry »

It is 2003! You just don't know! 8) :twisted:
Ark Hunter
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Ark Hunter »

Yeah, looks good! I ware one with shorter sleeves than that. :oops: Those look just about right, maybe a hair short. As many said it's supposed to be kind of snug fitting. Waring it open will also help it feel looser and maybe even help lenghten the sleeves a tad. (and look cooler.8))

Did you answer what color it was? I missed it if you did. Looks like dark brown.
The real Henry
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by The real Henry »

Sorry, but I ...ahem.. don't know! :oops: I have to ask the seller!

EDIT: I say your pics of the leather-types and I now would say it's dark brown!
Prof. Ed
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Prof. Ed »

I'm particular about the fit of my clothing. Sometimes, too much!
I think the jacket is fine. You have a slim build. The jacket looks like it fits your torso.
I had my jacket sleeves shortened to where they may look short compared to the screen accurate length, but they are more comfortable and I'm the one wearing it. It is your choice, ultimately. If you can be happy then you got one great deal. I paid $200 for a used jacket in good shape, like your is.
As someone said, if you hold your arms straight out the jacket will be short in the sleeves. Any jacket that fits would be.
You don't walk around with your arms out. Some folks like them longer in the sleeves so they don't ride up while driving. I tried that, but when not driving they felt terrible.

Enjoy your jacket in good health,

Prof. Ed
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

jacket

Post by BendingOak »

the real henry ,can you take a pic of you from the front with arms straight down at you side and try to relax when you take the pic.
The real Henry
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by The real Henry »

Relax? I was relaxed when I took the pics, too! :-s
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

jacket

Post by BendingOak »

relaxed, you look like a hanger inside a jacket. Just stand with your amrs at your side.
Ghos7a55assin
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Ghos7a55assin »

The sleeves look fine- with the armholes that low you aren't going to get a perfect fit. My recommendation- wear a long sleeve shirt. If you're showing a little cuff, it'll compensate for the lack of jacket sleeve.
The fit in the chest and shoulders looks great.
The real Henry
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by The real Henry »

Thanks, man! I also thought about the things with the shirt, but it will be changed, because I don't like that cold which goes under the sleeves when I ride my bike!
Rusty Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Rusty Jones »

Ghos7a55assin wrote:wear a long sleeve shirt. If you're showing a little cuff, it'll compensate for the lack of jacket sleeve.
A good idea, I do that sometimes, and while driving the jacket ride up vs. the shirt sleeve length is sometimes crazy, but I'm gonna dart the back of my Wested shirt to make it tighter and pull the sleeves back a little too...

Enjoy the jacket Henry!
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel
Location: DBSSWWD ~ "This is how we say goodbye to MIMES in Germany!"

Post by Indiana Jerry »

Ghos7a55assin wrote:wear a long sleeve shirt. If you're showing a little cuff, it'll compensate for the lack of jacket sleeve.
I have noticed wearing socks on my hands has the same effect.
The real Henry
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by The real Henry »

I already gave it away, so the arms will be let out. So I hope to get it back soon to take some 'relaxed' pics!
:wink:
Floribama Steve
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Floribama Steve »

Well, this might be a little late, but Indy's jacket rode up on his arms quite a bit. Watch in the Well of Souls scene where he lays back and says the "snakes" line. The jacket comes waaaay up on his arm.
The real Henry
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by The real Henry »

I know ! But I already wrote the reason, I wanted them to be longer!