Bald Beavers?

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Kaleponi Craig
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Bald Beavers?

Post by Kaleponi Craig »

I read over in the Fedora Lounge that, to get beaver fur to make our felt hats, the little buggers are shaved every 4 months, not killed (as I thought they were). If this if true, it's indeed good news (especially for the beaver, I would think). Does anyone here know the actual process of getting the fur from the beaver to the hat?

Kaleponi Craig
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Well, after putting the beavers in a centrefuge didn't work... :-k
Marc
Vendor

Post by Marc »

I've never heard that before... at least not on the beavers you'd shave to get fur from :-

How is that supposed to be done anyway? - Taking the critter in the neck and telling it to remain quite while you go ahead and shave its belly???

Regards,

Marc
Kaleponi Craig
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Kaleponi Craig »

Marc wrote: How is that supposed to be done anyway? - Taking the critter in the neck and telling it to remain quite while you go ahead and shave its belly???
Well, they have professional sheep shearers in New Zealand and other sheep growing areas. I would imagine, if true, that there are professional beaver shearers out there somewhere...KC
Dakota Ellison
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dakota Ellison »

Do they wear little faux fur coats til they grow a new crop??
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Shaved beavers... very dangerous... you go first.
Marc
Vendor

Post by Marc »

Bwahahahahaha!!!! ROTFL!!! :lol:
Well, they have professional sheep shearers in New Zealand and other sheep growing areas. I would imagine, if true, that there are professional beaver shearers out there somewhere...
To be honest, the only way I can think of a beaver allowing one to shave it's belly, is by either hypnoticing or knocking it out. Either way, it sounds quite unbelievable to me.

Regards,

Marc
J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

binkmeisterRick wrote:Shaved beavers... very dangerous... you go first.
Oh no, here we go again! #-o

:lol:
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

hats

Post by BendingOak »

Why do I see this thread going in the gutter real fast.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Who said I was going to the gutter? I mean, if you shave a beaver of its fur, YOU think it's gonna be happy to see you again? :?
raindog
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by raindog »

You can tell a proffesional beaver shaver....They're always called "3 fingers jackson" or "ole Leftie".....

They kill 'em I'm afraid. Although....I have heard a rumour that SOME beavers are grown from a very young age in captivity, and shaved with ease as they are so tame. Still don't believe it really....

Jeff.
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

They have big teeth and though cute looking don't seem the type to let you clip 'em.

I'm sceptical.
Floribama Steve
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Floribama Steve »

If a beaver were to be shaved alive, a sedative would solve the problem of nipping teeth fairly well I think.
raindog
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by raindog »

Sedative use is full of difficulties. Each beaver would have to be given it individually, by a vet. Each beaver would need the correct dose for body weight. After the treatment the beaver would need to be kept warm and probably in a seperate cage to other beavers.
Would they bother is the question? Easier to trap 'em and kill 'em. Harsh but likely, especially in the countries which provide most of the beaver for hats.
I'd like it to be the case that the beavers are cared for and sedated and shaved, but looking at the way people treat animals providing a product, it's most likely a nasty little end for the beaver.
I'm not judging the people who do it (or maybe I am). I'd still buy a beaver hat, same as I'd still eat meat, or wear leather. Would I buy a fur coat? For some reason I wouldn't. Perhaps it's the quantity of dead animals used to make an item of clothing that makes the difference. Some coats take dozens of animals to make one coat. How many beavers in a pure beaver felt? There's a question.......

Jeff.
gdkenoyer
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by gdkenoyer »

I beleive that Craig is referring to this string. It was started by a young lady who was taken aback at the thought of the beavers being killed for thier fur. It starts to get a bit personal but manages to recover. SHARPETOYS was just being flip (I think...) when he replied that the beavers just got haircuts every 3-4 months.

At some point the "shearing" is clarified to be "posthumous"...

Keeping in line with some of the above replies, one interesting comment is:
A beaver is a basically a big rat. No one is going to hold a rat between their legs and start shearing it.
yep -- that'll get your attention!
Last edited by gdkenoyer on Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cyan
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Cyan »

I'm reserved to my thinking that killing animals for fur/meat that are predators is wrong. There are already so few of them to begin with. Thats why I'd wear a cow/goat/lamb jacket, but not a fox jacket.
gdkenoyer
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by gdkenoyer »

check out this Fedora Lounge string for the next iteration of the topic...
raindog
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by raindog »

Hmm interesting criteria. There are lots of predators that are predated upon in the world. What's the difference between a sheep and a fox except maybe numbers? Also in some areas beaver and fox are pests which are too many in number. If we kill them to thin numbers what's wrong with using the skins?
Just thinking aloud here. I find the idea of killing something for an item of clothing offputting, and dull my feelings to this so I can still wear desirable items made from animals. Another thought, my love of an item of animal product surely gives the death of an animal more meaning? More so than eating a burger or chicken nugget.

Jeff.
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

gdkenoyer
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by gdkenoyer »

ha! that's great -- we'll let that one live, yes?
raindog
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by raindog »

Brilliant! That one on the bar looked friendly enough to shave!

Another problem just thought of. If these shaveable beavers were to have any quality of life they'd have to be kept in the same conditions as they live in. Imagine how cold the poor shaved beaver would be in the water? Sounds impossible to me.

Jeff.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! All I need now is a pet beaver and a trunk monkey. :lol:
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Well, you could always have Jeff shaved to make a hat. On second thought...
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel
Location: DBSSWWD ~ "This is how we say goodbye to MIMES in Germany!"

Post by Indiana Jerry »

Just his belly, mind you, then tag him and return him to the wild...
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Alright, alright, let's reel this one back in...
Kaleponi Craig
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Kaleponi Craig »

raindog wrote: Another problem just thought of. If these shaveable beavers were to have any quality of life they'd have to be kept in the same conditions as they live in. Imagine how cold the poor shaved beaver would be in the water? Sounds impossible to me.
Well, if true, I imagine the little fellows live in a controled environment. I would hope they don't send them back into the wilds after a good shave...those mountain streams are really cold!!! :oops:

KC
Kaleponi Craig
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Kaleponi Craig »

Indiana Jerry wrote:Just his belly, mind you, then tag him and return him to the wild...
I would think the belly fur would be of a higher value. Isn't kashmir the belly fur of a goat or something? And I think down is the belly feathers of a goose...KC
Altern
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Altern »

I have never ever seen a beaver in my whole life. I don't even know if it's dangerous or if it can get naughty/vicious.

But it do make a difference when used in a Fedora for sure :p
Kaleponi Craig
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Kaleponi Craig »

Altern wrote:I have never ever seen a beaver in my whole life. I don't even know if it's dangerous or if it can get naughty/vicious.
Well, let's put it this way...you would be ill advised to put a live beaver between your knees and try to shear him. They tend to get ornrey when this happens and they have two VERY big, sharp teeth. These teeth can cut down a good size tree, so just imagine what they could do to you..KC
Shawnkara
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shawnkara »

I totally agree with the fur coat thing! I can wear leather knowing that it mainly comes from animals that are raised to be eaten. They're going to be killed either way, so why not make the most use of the animal that you can? However, a fur coat is a completely ridiculous, unecessary "vanity" item. There's no point at all in owning/wearing one, unless you're a pimp or trophy wife. There's no practical use, as with leather.
I never gave much thought as to how bever fur was aquired! :shock: If it were made in the US I'm sure PETA and such would have at least part of the industry keeping and shaving them. It really makes me wonder about rabbit fur. Now, a rabbit, you could easily shave with little to no ill effects as to their environment in captivity, as they're warm-blooded land-dwellers.
raindog
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by raindog »

Thing is Shawnkara that I think most of the fur felt bodies are imported from places like China, where caring about our furry friends is not exactly a priority.
Ditto with most other fur felt exporters I think.

Jeff.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

I think the Native American Indians had the right idea. If you hunt and kill an animal, every part of it is useful. Nothing is thrown away.
Shawnkara
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shawnkara »

Careful, Bink! That line of thinking is how we got..... HEAD CHEESE! :shock:
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Hey, I happen to like haggis and scrapple, so it's all good to me! :wink:
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Shawnkara wrote:Careful, Bink! That line of thinking is how we got..... HEAD CHEESE! :shock:
Hey, is that the same as brawn? Good stuff, don't diss the brawn! :)
Snakewhip_Sable
Scoundrel

Post by Snakewhip_Sable »

binkmeisterRick wrote:I think the Native American Indians had the right idea. If you hunt and kill an animal, every part of it is useful. Nothing is thrown away.
Amen to that. That doesn't mean it all has to be eaten. Some stuff could be used as paper weights or sports equipment.

I've seen skinless frozen rabbits in the meat section at certain specialty grocers. Rabbits, which not coincidentally happen to be cute as bunnies (go figure), are considered pests by some. Delicious pests. If I saw beaver meat in the deli I would try it and then just mentally assign that particular carcass as the one that donated its pelt for my fedora, though I surmise it likely wouldn't be true.

I do feel a bit tormented about wearing a dead rodent on my head, but it just look so durn cool, not like, say, a Davey Crockett hat. I put the disturbing images of skinned beavers with all the other ones that make me plug my ears and loudly shout "LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA!!!", filed under 'T' for traumatic.

Perhaps we could picture some rancher harvesting 'shaving scum' from the washroom sinks of beavers after they shave themselves. What ever gets you through the day, eh?
Arkansas Russell
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Arkansas Russell »

Ive had beaver..
Bar-B-Qued...
It was quite good.
But then again Im from Arkansas, where we know about all kinds of good food..
:lol: :lol: :lol:
J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

Haha! :lol:

I've got a buddy in school at Havard. One of his friends (from CA I believe) didn't believe that we hunt and eat squirrel here in WV. :shock: Squirrel gravy anyone? :lol:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I'll take a plate, thank you! :D
Hope you used your rifle this time. I hate spitting out lead shot. :? :wink:

Regards!

Michaelson
GraveRobberGreg
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by GraveRobberGreg »

J_Weaver wrote:Haha! :lol:

I've got a buddy in school at Havard. One of his friends (from CA I believe) didn't believe that we hunt and eat squirrel here in WV. :shock: Squirrel gravy anyone? :lol:
I can remember eating squirrel pot pie when I was a kid......yummy :D
Snakewhip_Sable
Scoundrel

Post by Snakewhip_Sable »

I wonder if there are squirrel-felt hats.

A lil squirrel hardly seems worth eating, but a beaver would have a lot of meat on it.
Oklahoma Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Oklahoma Jones »

Had fried squirrel a couple of times as a kid, and also rabbit............can't beat it.............
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel
Location: DBSSWWD ~ "This is how we say goodbye to MIMES in Germany!"

Post by Indiana Jerry »

Fried squirrel on a stick sounds pretty good...sure, less meat, but less work. Kind of like something you'd get to eat at the circus...in Arkansas. ;) (hehehe...sorry, Russell. ;))
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

That does pose an interesting question... what other animals COULD be used to make hats? Would Moose and Squirrel work, or are we pretty much left with Beaver and Rabbit?
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Sorry to barge in, folks, but this topic has become one more suited for the Fedora Lounge now.

We've done all we can do with this one, so it's time to shut her down.

As mmaroy says, 'move along....'

Regards! Michaelson