New cheap close enough?

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Rusty Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist
Location: Raleigh, NC, Running from the Havitos (my (ex)girlfriends' parents)

New cheap close enough?

Post by Rusty Jones »

I hope I'm treading on already posted over ground, but I came across an interesting looking fedora for those who do not have the funds for nicer hats like the AB... I lived with my dorfman for all too long, and it looks like this hat may have been a closer choice to screen acurate:

http://www.villagehatshop.com/jaxon_iconoclast.html

the color looks too light and the bash comes in tear drop, unpenched, but with some work it looks like it may be closer than the dorf...
Texas Raider
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

!

Post by Texas Raider »

Yep, yer right. Already posted over,,and over,,and over :wink: But you can never have too many reminders, I say! :wink:

have a nice day.
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

I used to sell 'em when I worked at the VHS. They're OKAY, I guess. Not real high quality, and I think they are a rabbit felt blend, so they aren't even pure rabbit felt. I think it's Rabbit/Nutria. Not sure. I guess for a budget hat, it ain't that bad, but having held many of them up close and personal, I can honestly say I'd drop the extra 20 bucks for a fur felt dorfman.

I'd be super interested in seeing someone get one of these and give it a good re-block/re-bash.
Marc
Vendor

Post by Marc »

I believe that 3000 bucks bought one of these once...

Regards,

Marc
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

He did. If I remember correctly, his main gripe about the hat was that there wasn't enough crown to make a good Raiders hat after a reblock. Perhaps a Temple hat?
Renderking Fisk
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Renderking Fisk »

Well, you either get that and prolong the wait in getting an Adventurebilt, or put that $68 towards getting the real thing.

But if you're out to collect "Close Enough" hats, then go for it.
Shawnkara
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shawnkara »

If there's one thing I've figured out over the years, there's no such thing as a "close enough" Indy hat, or jacket. And if not for Winrich's IOAB, the whip would fall into that category, too.
Kaleponi Craig
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Kaleponi Craig »

An Akurba Federation is only a few dollars more and is a MUCH better hat...KC
Altern
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Altern »

Kaleponi Craig wrote:An Akurba Federation is only a few dollars more and is a MUCH better hat...KC
QFE !!!

Nothing is better than an Akubra Fed for that quality/price ratio.
Rusty Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Rusty Jones »

Oh yeah , I forgot about the Akubera sense I just went from Dorf to AB... yeah I guess sinse they run around 30 bucks more they're probably more worth it, oh well, I'm lucky I can be satisfied with my AB... :cD
Doh
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Doh »

I'm quite fond of mine, actually. For around $50, I got something I could wear right away without having to bash it myself (although I must admit the hand-sculpted look you guys achieve looks great). Also, even though it's not screen-accurate, I prefer the look of a teardrop crown.

I have yet to wear it in the rain, though, so don't know how it'll handle the elements. But it did a very nice job in cold weather in November.
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

Here's my official Indy hat with the reshaped crown and bashed from Villiage Hat Shop.

3thoubucks
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by 3thoubucks »

The Iconoclast is not a good Indy hat, but I love the Jaxon logo which was on the liner- golden golden retrievers! The ribbon on the Iconoclast was the best I've owned. A re-block would probably use up the brim. Image Some interesting lines circleing the crown on Pifall's converted teardrop there..... I noticed something similar on the Raiders hat :wink:
Rusty Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Rusty Jones »

That's a great Rebash, looks a lot better than my DP... If I didnt have an AB right now, I'd work trying to make the brim of mine a little more uneven...

(you didnt turn it did you? I wondered how that might work...)
San Holo
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by San Holo »

Is there any way to get my fur felt dorfman similar to the Raiders hat? I've hand steamed it myself and put a nice front pinch, but it ain't working for me.
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

I just used a small spray bottle full of cold water and lightly sprayed the areas of the hat I wanted to work on. The pinch in the front didn't take much but working the tear drop crown out took some time.

It's not perfect but I'm happy with it.

The brim and the sides of the hat came like that straight from the store. The hat is still pretty stiff. I keep it in the box it came in so it doesn't get messed up while I'm not wearing it.

Pitfall
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

hat

Post by BendingOak »

With the hat you had to work with, it looks like you did a great job. It would be nice to see what you could do with a better quality fedora.
Rusty Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Rusty Jones »

San Holo wrote:Is there any way to get my fur felt dorfman similar to the Raiders hat? I've hand steamed it myself and put a nice front pinch, but it ain't working for me.
I was working with mine about 2 years ago, when I was pretty inexpereienced with fedoras, and I just dunked mine in water and shaped it... (this shrunk it a bit, but I needed that because it was a hair too big anyway...)
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Re: hat

Post by Pitfall Harry »

jpenman wrote:With the hat you had to work with, it looks like you did a great job. It would be nice to see what you could do with a better quality fedora.

Thanks.

Maybe down the road I'll be able to get a AB but for now I'll have to stick with what I got.

My next big purchase is a new whip! :)

Pitfall
Rusty Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Rusty Jones »

I wish I'd saved for an IOAB Whip, but if 100 bucks is pushing it, you can find some good whip stuff on Ebay usually, that's the whip I've got and it suits me alright (but I dont give it heavy use)
Prof. Ed
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Prof. Ed »

Rusty Jones wrote:I wish I'd saved for an IOAB Whip, but if 100 bucks is pushing it, you can find some good whip stuff on Ebay usually, that's the whip I've got and it suits me alright (but I dont give it heavy use)
My IOAB whip is in the mail. It came out a darker color. I suppose that is fine. I have a whip holder coming too.
Is the whip more of a prop or can it be used at a Summit for one of the training classes?
I'm happy that I was able to "barter" for a whip. I'm still trying to get used to the Aldens. I may have to see the podiatrist and have my orthodics evaluated. For some reason my left arch still hurts. My "toy" money will go to the doctor. :cry:
One day an AB and then a Grail Diary. This is my short list.

Best,

Prof. Ed aka "motor mouth"
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Prof, you IOAB whip is a fully functional whip. I have a prototype IOAB which cracks like a cannon! Just because it's a "budget" whip doesn't mean it's not functional, well, certainly with the IOAB! Enjoy using it. :wink:

bink
Prof. Ed
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Prof. Ed »

binkmeisterRick wrote:Prof, you IOAB whip is a fully functional whip. I have a prototype IOAB which cracks like a cannon! Just because it's a "budget" whip doesn't mean it's not functional, well, certainly with the IOAB! Enjoy using it. :wink:

bink
Thanks, Bink.
Prof. Ed

Sorry, M..... :oops: All for the family, especially children. My bad :ducttape:
Last edited by Prof. Ed on Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Uh, guys, this is the fedora section. Move the whip conversation into the whip section, if you please.

And Ed.... [-X :? This is a family forum, if you don't mind....

Regards! Michaelson
Dutch_jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Dutch_jones »

I just started on a Indy Costume and i just bought a fedora in a hat shop wich i thougt looked like a indy fedora i just added a different tape around the crown here's an old pic with a temporary substitute

it wil have to do until i have enough money for a AB
http://img500.imageshack.us/img500/6466/dscn08368gk.jpg
Last edited by Dutch_jones on Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Prof. Ed
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Prof. Ed »

Welcome, youngman.

Regards,

Prof. Ed
Last edited by Prof. Ed on Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

Welcome Dutch!
It looks like your off to a good start! :D
Prof. Ed
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Prof. Ed »

Prof. Ed wrote:Welcme, youngman.

Regards,

Prof. Ed
M, comments are changed. My sense of humor returned for an instance. It happens rarely now. No one to be funny for. I can't play to the band as when I teach. oops: :oops: :oops: :cry:
Rusty Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Rusty Jones »

Dutch, Nice starter gear, (and animated avitar)... we all have to start somewhere, and you're off from a good place it looks like... just know once you get one peice of 'authintic' gear... you wont be able to stop... :c)
Dutch_jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Dutch_jones »

thnx and lol i'm kinda already afraid for that well thank god i dont have the money to buy al of it;)..... yet

can anyone help me ?
What's a good place to look for a holster?
Last edited by Dutch_jones on Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Welocme, Dutch! Looks good, though you may want to shrink your image down a bit so we don't have to scroll across the page to read! :wink:

bink
ortiz344
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by ortiz344 »

not to apparently dredge up bad discussions but...is the jaxon THAT bad?