rabbit AB vs rabbit vintage HJ

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

rabbit AB vs rabbit vintage HJ

Post by Erri »

A little image for who still doubts about Steve's blocks accuracy 8)

the one on the left is my rabbit AB, the other one is Steve's vintage HJ, possibly made on the block.
Indy_Railok
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: rabbit AB vs rabbit vintage HJ

Post by Indy_Railok »

There is no doubt left here.
Great pic of your hat Erri!

Regards,
René with new avatar.
Fedoraman
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Fedoraman »

Profile is easy to reproduce - the challeng is the look from the front after the bash... Not to say that Steve hasn't got it, quite to the contrary, just that pic doesn't show the critical view. :whip:
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

Fedoraman wrote:Profile is easy to reproduce - the challeng is the look from the front after the bash... Not to say that Steve hasn't got it, quite to the contrary, just that pic doesn't show the critical view. :whip:
Well if Steve send me a pic of the front (shaped into a raiders look) i could work on it :wink:

You can enjoy this anyway...

whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

Your side profile isn't the same anyway. Notice how the HJ front crease bends outwards before bending slightly back (just like Indy's), whereas yours goes striaght up and then bends back further. The top of the HJ crown seems to have more length to it. Your hat looks great Erri - but still not the same as that HJ
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

whiskyman wrote:Your side profile isn't the same anyway. Notice how the HJ front crease bends outwards before bending slightly back (just like Indy's), whereas yours goes striaght up and then bends back further. The top of the HJ crown seems to have more length to it.
well you have to consider that it was turned more than steve's HJ. Look at the position of the knot.
Of course it would never look the same... but so would be other HJs of the same block. The only real way to compare them is when they are open crown i thnk.
You're talking about the shape.. i was talking about the block :wink:
Fedoraman
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Fedoraman »

From Fedora's Vedor post...
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

Fedoraman wrote:Image
From Fedora's Vedor post...
It's not shaped
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

erri_wan wrote:
whiskyman wrote:Your side profile isn't the same anyway. Notice how the HJ front crease bends outwards before bending slightly back (just like Indy's), whereas yours goes striaght up and then bends back further. The top of the HJ crown seems to have more length to it.
well you have to consider that it was turned more than steve's HJ. Look at the position of the knot.
Of course it would never look the same... but so would be other HJs of the same block. The only real way to compare them is when they are open crown i thnk.
You're talking about the shape.. i was talking about the block :wink:
I know what I'm talking about. I mean the hats don't have the same shape - and if you push out your bash the block shape will not be the same, most probably because your rabbit AB has slightly tapered.
Obiwampa
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Obiwampa »

Notice how the HJ front crease bends outwards before bending slightly back (just like Indy's), whereas yours goes striaght up and then bends back further.
I think they ARE the same, but what you are seeing is a bit of an illusion. Erri_Wan's hat is just not tipped quite as far forward as the photo of Steve's hat. My 2 cents.
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

No - you have to look at how the front angles compare to back angles of both hats. It's not how they're tipped. Believe me, this is something I have looked at long and hard with all my hats.
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

My rabbit... tapered? :-s On what planet? :lol:
Obiwampa
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Obiwampa »

Well...I'm looking long and hard at that photo, and I stand by what I said before. If Erri_Wans hat was tipped even only 1/4 of an more forward, we wouldnt be talking about this. Those hats are nigh identical. If I showed that photo to 20 people, I bet you 19 of them would agree that they were either the same hat, or were made on the same block. (Not that most people even know what a hat block is.)
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

:whip:

Consider also that my ribbon is 38mm and not 39mm :junior:

whiskyman wrote:No - you have to look at how the front angles compare to back angles of both hats. It's not how they're tipped. Believe me, this is something I have looked at long and hard with all my hats.
When i'll buy an open crown Adventurebilt we'll make also that comparation :wink:
Feraud
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Feraud »

You guys with your AB's... :roll: :wink:
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

Here's my AB from the side and front
This is what I regard as untapered- on any planet
Obiwampa
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Obiwampa »

Wow. All of these hats look exactly the same. Now the world can sleep easy. :roll:
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

Somebody call an optician..
Obiwampa
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Obiwampa »

Someone call a therapist...

Quick.
Obiwampa
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Obiwampa »

Look, I'm not even sure what point you are trying to make anymore. Are you saying that Steves hat block is wrong ? Or are you simply trying to prove that Erri_Wans AB has tapered by 1/16"? If you are saying that the block is WRONG you just disproved your entire point by posting the pics of your hat, because it looks just like the vintage HJ. As for Erri_wans hat being tapered, I think we can take his word for it that it is not. One photo that is obviously disputable proves or disproves nothing. I can show you photos of bigfoot, that doesnt make him real. Everyone bashes their hat differently, that produces slightly different shapes and angles sometimes. End of story. Now for gods sake............let it go. ](*,)
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

This is all funny to me :lol:
Fedoraman
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Fedoraman »

I can feel this one being locked down very quickly... :roll:

All parties should take a breath - and a brew. I think that we all agree that Steve's block is the closest shape to the original HJ Raiders block that is being used by any vendor at this moment in time.

The differences we have here have to do with camera angles and bashing. :lol: