EXPEDITION HAS ARRIVED!!!!

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Obiwampa
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

EXPEDITION HAS ARRIVED!!!!

Post by Obiwampa »

Its here!!! Finally!!! I've been putting off getting one of these jackets for like 4-5 years, and now I have one. I consider this my first real leather jacket. Everything up to now have been toys, and cheap imitations compared to this baby! :P My girlfriend phoned up last night saying a package had arrived, and I could hear the smile in her voice, I've never driven to her place so fast in my life!!! :twisted: Straight out of the bag, I could tell this was a keeper. The fit, as you will see, is PERFECT. Sleeve length, shoulder width, overall length, and chest, perfect, all like it was cut just for me. I am very 'detail oriented', so I have been looking for mistakes/flaws on this thing, well, there are NONE. :D This jacket almost looks like it is made of vinyl, the leather is so flawless and uniform. And the smell........ahhhhh. I have it on right now, and man, they should bottle this stuff. Sorry for any typo's, I'm typing this with a cast on my right forearm, I have a hairline fracture in my radius, right at the wrist, and DeQuervins tecendonitis? (spelling?) :? anyway, I cant write, draw, paint, open doors, or anything. At least my jacket fits over the #### thing!! :x

Any way, here are the goodies, more Expedition pics than anyone has a right to.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d199/ ... ion055.jpg
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d199/ ... ion050.jpg
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d199/ ... ion045.jpg
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d199/ ... ion016.jpg
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d199/ ... ion017.jpg
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d199/ ... ion044.jpg
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d199/ ... ion042.jpg
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d199/ ... ion039.jpg
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d199/ ... ion029.jpg
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d199/ ... ion028.jpg
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d199/ ... ion025.jpg
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d199/ ... ion023.jpg
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d199/ ... ion021.jpg
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d199/ ... ion019.jpg
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d199/ ... ion014.jpg
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d199/ ... ion012.jpg
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d199/ ... ion010.jpg
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d199/ ... ion005.jpg
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d199/ ... ion002.jpg

BTW, I was expecting the sleeves to be straight, not tapered, but they have quite a strong taper down to the cuff. Watch ROTLA, when Indy stands, points to Satipo and says "Stay here.", "If you insist senoir", as indy extends his arm to point, you get a good sillouette of his sleeve, and the Exp. matches it spot-on. I was just suprised, since GB describes them as 'barrel cuffs', I was expecting them not to have any taper. I guesse they just were describing the cuffs themselves, not the whole sleeve. Go figure., Anyway, Im babbling, still overjoyed with this jacket. :D :D :Dhttp://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d199/ ... ion035.jpg

Heres one I missed ^, and sorry about the poor quality pics of myself, noone was around to help. :(
Last edited by Obiwampa on Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Looks like a homerun to me, my friend! :D Yep, the 'barrel sleeves' just means there is no knit cuff to the sleeve.

Congratulations!

Looks like you have just made a new friend that should be on many an adventure for years to come!

High regards! michaelson
Jorenz
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Jorenz »

Great shots! The color of the leather is superb.

It's great to see another happy jacket owner
Indiana Williams
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Williams »

Congrats, Obiwampa
Your new jacket is a beauty :) Glad to hear you like it and it fits good.Enjoy your new Expedition :wink:
Best Regards,
Joe
Obiwampa
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

leather color

Post by Obiwampa »

The best representation of the color is 'Expedition35', the very last one with the DVD case. So dark its almost black in nearly every light. I dont know about sun as this is Ohio and its Jan. No sun for a few more months. But yes I'm in love with this thing. I already applied some Pecards jell to the collar and straps, to try and get them to lie down. No luck so far. I dont plan on taking her off untill late June so that should help. :)
Obiwampa
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

One last thing

Post by Obiwampa »

I forgot one other thing. There were a couple of places where threads and knots looked a little loose. Heres a trick I learned while tying flys, add a tiny drop of nail polish clear coat to any knot to keep them secure indefinetly. If it works on a fly sailing through the air at 500mph, it should work here. :P
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel
Location: DBSSWWD ~ "This is how we say goodbye to MIMES in Germany!"

Post by Indiana Jerry »

:shock: Wow, that is a sharp looking jacket! I'm a Wested fan myself, but I have to admit that looks great - good job, Obiwampa! That is sweet...

Hey, what kind of leather IS that, anyway? (The grain isn't tipping me off.) Interesting anchor stitch on the sidestraps - looks pretty tough, though, even though it isn't an X-box.

Congratulations! :tup:
J
Obiwampa
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Obiwampa »

Dark Seal Goat. Thanks for the kind words! :)
Bjones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bjones »

:tup:

Looks good man, The grain and panel matching is very nice. I like how the strap attaches to the back panel better than the way the way wested is doing it now, but I wonder about the strength of the joint. It looks much cleaner, but appears to add visible stress there...tough to say looking at the pics, how does it feel Obiwampa?

Is that a satin lining?
G-MANN
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by G-MANN »

What was the turnaround time from order to receipt?
Indyjim
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indyjim »

The jacket looks fabulous on you. I'm sure you'll be very pleased. I know I like mine. I broke mine in by sitting on it, sleeping in it, Pecarding it, and,
oh yes, wearing it! Congratulations! :clap:
Dr._J
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Dr._J »

The sidestraps on the Expo are exactly like the rest of the jacket...Tough as nails! No X-Box needed here to enforce the stitch. It's all in the craftsmanship, engineering and materials. I've had mine for over three years now and it's going strong. Oh, and Wampa? It softens up oh so nice. 8)

Regards,

Dr. J
Alabama Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Alabama Jones »

Looks great. Congrats! :clap:

I'm thinking I'm going to have to get me one of these. I love my Wested and the spirit behind it, but a jacket with all (or most) of the "Raiders" qualities in it without having to ask is very intriguing; particularly the yoke placement, pleat depth and pocket size/shape.
Dr._J
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Dr._J »

Atta' Boy Alabama! There's sure to be room for TWO in your closet! It's amazing how many subtle differences there are between the Wested and Expo! I love 'em both!
Lao Feng
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Lao Feng »

Superb! Bravo!
J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

Alabama Jones wrote:Looks great. Congrats! :clap:

I'm thinking I'm going to have to get me one of these. I love my Wested and the spirit behind it, but a jacket with all (or most) of the "Raiders" qualities in it without having to ask is very intriguing; particularly the yoke placement, pleat depth and pocket size/shape.
Boy I have to second everything you said Alabama. That jacket looks great. Perhaps one of the best I've seen. The yoke, pockets and lack of an inside facing certainly has my attention.

Obiwampa, thanks for the detailed pics. I've thought about getting an G&B for a long time, but I never could find pics to convince me it was worth the extra $. Those of your's are pretty convincing. :D
Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Captain D »

Congrats on your new jacket! :D

Yes, the Expedition jackets are built like tanks and will last you the rest of your life! :D

It's "GREAT" to simply order an Expedition jacket and everything (back panel yoke, arm-sleeve seam, ect...) all comes 100% cut to the "Raiders of the Lost Ark" jacket as standard to each and every one.

Enjoy your new jacket!!
Captain D
Crusader556
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Crusader556 »

Great looking jacket, makes me want one! :P :wink:
Indydawg

Very nice!

Post by Indydawg »

Looks like you got exactly what you wanted to me! Well done!

Later!
Indydawg
Minnesota Jones
Admin Emeritus

Post by Minnesota Jones »

Congrats. I love my Authentic Seal Chrome Goat from FS. It's a beaut. And the guys are right, that baby will loosen up wonderfully with time. My goat actually behaves like lamb with it's drape now. Almost feels like lamb... almost. :wink:

Mine is 2 1/2 years old now and still looks exactly the same in terms of the lining, stitching, etc. This jacket is built like a tank. Enjoy it my friend! :)
Alabama Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Alabama Jones »

Dr._J wrote:Atta' Boy Alabama! There's sure to be room for TWO in your closet! It's amazing how many subtle differences there are between the Wested and Expo! I love 'em both!
Exactly! There's room for both. 8) if your wallet can take it. :shock:

I'm suddenly reminded of my Foxworthy ... "why ... er ... sure I can write ya a CHECK". :D

J_Weaver wrote:
Alabama Jones wrote:Looks great. Congrats! :clap:

Boy I have to second everything you said Alabama. That jacket looks great. Perhaps one of the best I've seen. The yoke, pockets and lack of an inside facing certainly has my attention.

Obiwampa, thanks for the detailed pics. I've thought about getting an G&B for a long time, but I never could find pics to convince me it was worth the extra $. Those of your's are pretty convincing. :D
Weaver, I think our fates are sealed. :wink: It is now not if but when.
Obiwampa
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Lining

Post by Obiwampa »

The lining is the standard poly twill as advertised on the FS website. Someday I'd like to have it replaced with a plain cotton, as I dont really trust this satiny poly stuff. It has a tendency to snag and then run like a womans stocking. Thanks all of you for all the kind words, and yes they are rather nice pics arent they? :) I spent about 3 hours snapping and uploading. :wink: I wanted to cover all the minute details that I was always curious about. Built like a tank really does say it all. I think when I'm buried in her, she'll look even better than she does now. :D

Oh, the turnaround time. Thats a bit complicated. My girlfriend ordered it a week before christmas thinking they would simply pull one off the rack and ship it. She was wrong. They said it would take 4 to 6 weeks for it to be ready as they were starting a large order that had priority. Dejected, I faced the prospect of not recieving it untill mid Feb. Then, maybe 4 days later she got a call saying the big order had been canceled, and they could ship the jacket anytime if she still wanted it. (Apparently they had already made it sometime within those 4 days.) Anyway the box was postmarked the 28th and I recieved it on Wednesday. Rather complicated.
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Hemingway Jones »

Great jacket. It fits you well, perfecly, in fact. I wish you many happy adventures in it.
Sergei
Admin Emeritus
Location: Off the grid, in from the cold - Jack's Canyon ~1119

Re: Lining

Post by Sergei »

Obiwampa wrote:The lining is the standard poly twill as advertised on the FS website. Someday I'd like to have it replaced with a plain cotton, as I dont really trust this satiny poly stuff. It has a tendency to snag and then run like a womans stocking. ...
Actually the poly twill is very durable. I have owned one for about 3 years. No sign of wear anywhere. Congrats on your new jacket. Don't baby it. Don't hang it up. Wad it up and throw it into a corner... That was the advise Dave Marshall at G&B used to say. It's probably hard to believe now, but the goat hide will relax. Many happy adventures.
Indycraze71
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indycraze71 »

The jacket looks awesome! :D I'm a Wested owner myself , but I think I may have to add an Expedition to my closet soon! Very nice jacket indeed... wear it well and often!
Bjones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: Lining

Post by Bjones »

Obiwampa wrote: I think when I'm buried in her, she'll look even better than she does now. :D
I have to thank you for a truly hearty laugh with that one :lol:
IndianaRedmon
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IndianaRedmon »

Great jacket Obiwampa enjoy.
Dr._J
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Dr._J »

Don't baby it. Don't hang it up. Wad it up and throw it into a corner... That was the advise Dave Marshall at G&B used to say. It's probably hard to believe now, but the goat hide will relax.
Sergei even SLEPT with his on to soften it! Talk about dedication! My Expo has spent MANY long hours in the dryer on "air dry" and has relaxed considerably. I've stuffed it between the mattress and boxspring and it has NEVER been on a coat hanger! It's MUCH softer now!

Regards, Dr. J
Indiana MarkVII
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Which jakcet to order? Two questions, please.

Post by Indiana MarkVII »

I"m trying to be patient in ordering my first Indiana Jones leather jacket after wanting one forever (at least since Raiders first showed). I was pretty much set on ordering a Wested, but all this praise for an Expedition has got me wondering. Where can I find more information about an Expedition jacket?

If I could only buy one jacket, should it be a Wested or an Expedition? I'll let myself buy one, but probably not two. I need to have some left over for a decent looking whip. The 6ft 99 cent special off of eBay isn't going to cut it with me.

Indiana MarkVII
Indyjim
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indyjim »

Go here to the Gibson & Barnes website www.flightsuits.com or search the
many threads here at COW on the Expeditions.
Obiwampa
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Obiwampa »

No offense to you Wested guys, even though I dont own one, after handling this Exp., I dont know how any other jacket could possibly compare in terms of quality, durability, and precise craftsmanship. It is simply perfect in every respect. I still have yet to find a single fault in the stitching, leather, hardware, (snaps, buckles, zipper), or the lining. This is simply on another level of perfection. As widely known, the fact that they only come in off the rack sizes is about the only drawback. But when you consider what it is you are getting, that really does not matter. At least to me. I'm just not concerned with the fitting being tailor made. A half inch here, a quarter inch there, :? In the long run it is the quality that I'm concerned with, not if it is an inch too big through the chest. :)

Just my opinion, please dont let this start a ruckuss. :oops:
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

The Expedition appears to be an excellent jacket.

But it is a copy of a Wested and that matters to me. Also factor into it that you can get 3 standard versions of a Wested, customise it to your hearts content and get it made to your exact sizing means there is no contest. And it's cheaper! And it's made by the man who made the ones for Harrison!

I haven't even got into the wide choice of leathers and different colours.

Anyway rant over, I'm sure it's great, wear it in excellent health sir!
Indiana MarkVII
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana MarkVII »

Holy smokes! The intensity of feelings sure comes out and that is a good thing. It's nice to know there are choices, and the replies to my posting sure do help. You guys are quick. I like the notification feature this forum uses.

Thanks to everyone who replied, and thank you to Crusader556 for posting the jacket measurement form I found.

Indiana MarkVII
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Yep. This is one subject that brings out the most vinegar in most folks. What is often NOT mentioned is that though the FS is indeed a copy, it's a copy of an original stunt jacket that was actually used in Raiders. Even the current Wested isn't anywhere close to the original jacket pattern, so it's a trade off in my opinion in that regard. This is not a bad thing, as I personally believe the evolution of the Wested has made it a MUCH more user friendly, hardy and comfortable jacket...more so than it originally was when we got into this almost a decade ago.

All in all, there are pros and cons regarding both jackets, and either choise a fine one for the purchaser, regardless of how you want to debate the issue.

Regards! Michaelson
Last edited by Michaelson on Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sergei
Admin Emeritus
Location: Off the grid, in from the cold - Jack's Canyon ~1119

Post by Sergei »

Michaelson wrote:Yep. This is one subject that brings out the most vinegar in most folks. What is often NOT mentioned is that though the FS is indeed a copy, it's a copy of an original stunt jacket that was actually used in Raiders. Even the current Wested isn't anywhere close to the original jacket pattern, so it's a trade off in my opinion in that regard. This is not a bad thing, as I personally believe the evolution of the Wested has made it MUCH more user friendly, hardy and comfortable jacket...more so that it originally was when we got into this almost a decade ago.

All in all, there are pros and cons regarding both jackets, and either choise a fine one for the purchaser, regardless of how you want to debate the issue.

Regards! Michaelson
Wow, Michaelson.... in such well crafted, economy of words... well spoken. It would have taken me paragraphs to describe the long history and you boiled it down into two sentences. And it was _ that first offered the measurements to Peter way back when. After only this refusal from over 6 years ago, was the project born - the FS "Expedition".

And I concur with Michaelson's closing tone in that there are pros and cons for the purchaser. Well SAID!!!!
Last edited by Sergei on Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bjones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bjones »

Retailer preferences aside, I am one of those guys that always has trouble with sleeve length and chest room - I usually have to go up 1 or 2 sizes before the sleeves are long enough - so the Wested appealed to me more with the custom fit. For me that extra 1/2 " here and there was key. That I also got horsehide for 100 dollars less, the decision was simple for me. So I guess it really boils down to what YOU the customer sees as value for the money.
J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

Same here Bjones. If I get something big enough that the sleeves are right the chest is way too big. However, I'd love to give FS a try someday. 8)
The_Edge
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by The_Edge »

Last Friday I was riding an escelator up from the Barnes & Noble in downtown Seattle when a gentleman with an english accent said to me, "You're dressed like Indiana Jones." I replied in the positive and he asked me where I got my jacket.
"A place in San Diego called FlightSuits," I said.
"Oh, you know there is a place in England that actually made the jackets for the films."
I said, "Yeah, Wested. I used to have one."
Looking a bit surprised he said, "Yes, that's it. Why did you get rid of it."
"I just didn't wear it anymore. I prefer this [FlightSuits] jacket better."
"You think it is a better jacket, eh?"
"Yep."

And at that we were walking out the doors of the Pacific Place mall and onto Pine street where we parted ways. He hurried across the street and gave a quick, sort of odd, glance back at me before disappearing into the crowd.

Just thought I would share.
Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Captain D »

That's pretty cool that someone identified your jacket! :D I've worn my Indy jackets everywhere (both Flightsuits and Wested) and thus far, no one has said anything...yet :wink: .

Kindest Regards,
Captain D
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

Sometimes because of economics, it's not feasible for someone to try out both the Flightsuits & the Wested, and that's a shame. I understand the reasoning involved with initially choosing one jacket brand over the other (I've been there myself). But no amount of reasoning makes up for actually trying a product. Unless you've tried a product, I would say that you're unqualified to really give much of an opinion (you still can obviously). Anyway, both jackets are great for different reasons. One should give both a try if possible.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Who WAS that masked man??!!!! :shock:

Good to see you, Adam!!! :D

Highest regards!

Michaelson
Obiwampa
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Obiwampa »

I'm actually thinking of getting a Wested next. I want to see what all the fuss is about. 8)

Hmmmm...

Raiders
Authentic Lambskin
80's fit
X boxed
All cotton lining

I can dream, cant I? (Just dont tell my Expedition, she wouldnt understand)
Bjones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bjones »

Just move to Utah...I here that kind of thing is cool there :wink:

If you do get a wested, what leather are you planning on getting Obiwampa??
Dr._J
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Dr._J »

RUNDQUIST???!!! :shock:

I should have known this thread would draw you out of your Hobbit-Hole! I was getting a little nostalgic reading the FS vs. Wested debates (once again) and thought "Something ain't right. Somebody's missing." Then you popped in!

Gentlemen, for those of you who don't know, Rundquist is "Old-School COW". Indygear Royalty if you will. He's forgotten more about Indy Gear than most of us will EVER know! And he LOVES his Flightsuits, people! 8)

All this talk of the Expedition makes me happy! It's been so one-sided for so long, people have forgotten how great a jacket the Expo is. I love the Westeds, but it's great to have a choice! I love my Expo for different reasons than I love Westeds. It's just great to have discussions and comparisons! It's far more interesting than another "show us your Wested" thread.

WOW! Sergei AND Rundquist in one thread. It's like "Old Timers Day" at Yankee Stadium! I'm getting all misty-eyed. _, wanna chime in and go for the "hat-trick"?

Regards, Dr. J
Last edited by Dr._J on Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Captain D »

Well said Dr. J :D .

I realize that the Flightsuit jacket is a copy of the Wested design, but it is a well-made/quality jacket nonetheless. And, it is good to have options and choices in this hobby. I have no regrets at all whatsoever in purchasing my Flightsuits Goat. Both, Wested and Flightsuits, are great jackets and worthy of praise! :D

Kindest Regards,
Captain D
Indiana Jess
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jess »

Adam, it's good to see you're still amoung the living ... or at least the life like. :wink:
Dr._J
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Dr._J »

Speaking of "Old Timers"...

Jess, how are ya? :wink:
Indiana Jess
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jess »

Well I have a pulse, which is an improvment over last week. Dr._J, what about you? How's that little one of yours?
Minnesota Jones
Admin Emeritus

Post by Minnesota Jones »

I can chime in too now since I too finally own a Wested. I also own a Flightsuits currently AND a U.S. Wings to boot. I love all 3 jackets.

All of them.

FS is my Raiders jacket, the U.S. Wings is a very close ToD look, and my Wested natually was ordered as a Last Crusade. All of them have pluses and minuses (sp?) as any vendor does. However, all THREE of them are great Indy Jackets. Period. That's why we list all three on the main page of Indygear. Well, some of the Disney's aren't bad either... :wink:

Competition is what got us here to this point, with three wonderful Indy Jackets to choose from. Decisions decisions..... just remember, 10 years ago, there was the Cooper (now U.S. Wings) and that was it. Nowadays the Expo is phemoninal (sp?), Wested is better than ever, and even U.S. Wings is still in the running in my opinion. 3 movies. 3 jackets. 3 vendors. I'm happy. How 'bout you? 8)
Zach R.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Zach R. »

Well, I recieved a Flightsuits jacket from a forum member made out of "antiqued lambskin" according to the label.

Its not as tailored as a Wested, seeing as in the off-the rack size FS can fit comfortably OVER my Wested. :shock:

I do like how the handwarmers stay closed better than my Wested, probably because they aren't lined on the inner side(against the body) of the inside of the pocket.

Though, the leather has developed almost a beaded up kind of snake-skin like pattern where it creases when you move your arms, and on other places of the jacket, and I'm not sure I like the look of it, will Pecards help?