PROVEN! Barranca's Panama was a converted pork pie, as well

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

3thoubucks
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

PROVEN! Barranca's Panama was a converted pork pie, as well

Post by 3thoubucks »

Image Look at the band on Speilberg's hat- red/black with very a rough edge. Same as Barranca's with some fringe added. It has a realy rough rebash. Remember, it looks too tall because these DVD captures get compressed sideways. Image Maybe that black fringe IS there on Steven's hat, and they cut it and let it fall on Barranca's. The color looks the same in this shot. Image EDIT- I turned down the saturation here- Image
Last edited by 3thoubucks on Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:32 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Mola Ram
Vendor

Post by Mola Ram »

Stevens hat looks like a straw.
Nice try though.
Adam
Indycraze71
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indycraze71 »

I dunno if your saying that Spielberg's hat was turned into Barranca's or not, but you can see them both in the last photo wearing 2 different hats. Which would kill that theory. :-k
Indycraze71
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indycraze71 »

I think barranca's hat may have been made of straw? There is a really good publicity still photo of him pointing the gun that may show some detail to the hat.
J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

It is. Barranca's hat is a Panama. I guess is possible both his an Spielberg's hats were the same model and Barranca's was converted.
:)
3thoubucks
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by 3thoubucks »

Yes, it was straw, and it looks like it has just been distressed with a scissors! Image Look at the band on Steven's hat, it looks like it's 1/2 inch thick (front and back) -with that black sash uncut? Image Cutting a chunk out of the front of Barranca's brim would have taken the curl out of the brim- in fact, that hat would completely come apart in no time. (Again, the shot from Raiders is compressed sideways here.)
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

Indycraze71 wrote:There is a really good publicity still photo of him pointing the gun that may show some detail to the hat.
Indycraze71
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indycraze71 »

Yup thats the one VP. :wink:
3thoubucks
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by 3thoubucks »

Well, 65 percent proven. The thick colorfull bands on both hats are ONLY found on Hawaiian hats. They are hat leis called huma papa. The original ones were made of feathers but they are very expensive. Note the THICKNESS Image The yarn ones on Steven's and Barranca's hats would be a lot cheaper. I think it's a safe bet both hats were BOUGHT in Hawaii, not brought there. probably the same model hat bought in the same store, since there was very little time spent there.
Last edited by 3thoubucks on Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel
Location: DBSSWWD ~ "This is how we say goodbye to MIMES in Germany!"

Post by Indiana Jerry »

VP wrote:
Indycraze71 wrote:There is a really good publicity still photo of him pointing the gun that may show some detail to the hat.
Holy smokes, is he wearing an Indy shirt?
rick5150
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by rick5150 »

3thoubucks, I have to ask this question as it is driving me crazy. How come you post so that all of your photos break up the text? Is it personal preference, like a trademark-style or something? Certainly distinguishing...