Todd's Costumes.com

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

jaydoc1
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Todd's Costumes.com

Post by jaydoc1 »

Has anyone bought an HJ from this site? They are selling the poets for $225 and are willing to bash any number of styles from the three movies for an additional $15. Looks like they'll even run over it a few times with a truck to get that really rumpled "Cairo" look! :shock:

Is $225 about what an HJ goes for? I thought they were more in the $400 range.

www.toddscostumes.com
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

Todd has offered them for a long time. He's been there since I've been involved in this hobby, which is about a year or so now. Others from here remember him from longer than that, though.

I wanted to buy an HJ from him, but at the time, I bought an Adventurebilt from Steve. Many other members here had bought AB's at the time, and were giving rave reviews, which was good for me. I had no way of seeing one of Todd's hats before paying for it, as I could not go to his area at the time (even though I live in California).

This was a deal breaker for me, as this time around, I wanted something I could either inspect myself, or have others who had the same hats tell me their thoughts on it.

So seeing others' reviews pretty much cinched it for me that I was getting an Adventurebilt, because they are cheaper (after shipping and styling) than a Herbie J from Todd, and 100% beaver, as opposed to the HJ's rabbit felt. The AB's also come shaped if you want, at no additional charge.

I have heard from several "in the know" members here that the current quality of HJ's are not that good anymore, and are akin to "throw away hats" that you have for about a year, and then toss.

But yeah, we know about Todd here. He posts on here as puppetboy, I think.
Dakota Ellison
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dakota Ellison »

Is $225 about what an HJ goes for? I thought they were more in the $400 range
They are more like $300 if you order from the London shop, which makes Todd's price pretty good in comparison.
Fedoraman
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Fedoraman »

I have one from Todd's - the quality is the same as what you have heard about HJ's virtually everywhere on the internet...

It is what it is - a hat branded by the original company that supplied the fedora's for at least 2 Indiana Jones movies. The AB is better quality for sure for the same price, but it all depends on what you are after - for me I just wanted an HJ with the red crest lable like the one in Last Crusade, to each his own.

It is a nice floppy felt like the Raiders hat, but the block shape is a little too taperific. I was impressed by the bow shape - it looks 1000X better than the one from HatsDirect, but you can fix that fairly easily if you can sew. One thing that irked me is the fact that they used ALOT of hot glue to secure the liner and the sweat was sewn on by the lip, not the part folded under, but I have since reblocked mine and fixed these little problems. The brim is cut down / trimmed on the sides even though I did not ask for this and you couldn't see it before I reblocked it. But perhaps it has to do with my custom block from HatShapers with ZERO taper and a true round shape. Either way, I like my HJ almost as much as my GH - but they both have their drawbacks and I know my beaver will last alot longer.
J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

I also remember reading that reblockign a HJ is dangerous becuase you run the risk of ripping the brim off while stretching it over the block. :shock: I also understand that the current HJ block works very well for the LC look, but falls short in the Raiders department.
Kaleponi Craig
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Kaleponi Craig »

It says right on Todd's website not to wear their hat in the rain. I wear my Adventurebilt in the rain and all sorts of other weather. You can buy an AB pure beaver for about the same price as the HJ 'whatever it's made from' from Todd's. Is that a hard choice?? :wink: ...KC
jaydoc1
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by jaydoc1 »

I have owned a Fed Deluxe for close to four years now and since I just recently found out that Fedora is making hats (this from the guy that used to just toss his on top of his computer monitor to store it :shock: ) I have become interested in purchasing another. Sad to hear that HJ is not a great option anymore but nice to hear that Fedora is "The Man with the Hat" now. I've always loved the way his Fedora looks in his avatar. His ABs look great. The price is great too.

My only complaint with my Fed has always been its stiffness and that's another area that it sounds like an AB excels in.

Guess I'll have to order one soon. From Steve, not Todd. Sorry Todd. :wink:
GraveRobberGreg
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by GraveRobberGreg »

I own a AB and wouldnt trade it for the world. I also own a Peter Brothers and one from Gladhatters. I think My AB is still my favorite.

Way to go STEVE :D
Doh
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Doh »

Kaleponi Craig wrote:It says right on Todd's website not to wear their hat in the rain.
Geez, what are they made from -- gremlin pelts??

(The main reason I bought a fedora was because I don't carry an umbrella and want to keep the rain off of my head on those rare occasions here in L.A. And it looks sorta cool.)
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Their felt is rabbit felt, and due to it's fairly loose felting, tends to taper quite badly if it gets wet...hense the warning about rain.

Regards! Michaelson
Indiana Cromeens
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Cromeens »

I have a hj from todd, It is not an everyday work hat, but a beautiful dress hat all the same, The block shape is perfect for a TOD or last crusade hat.I'd reccomend having one in your collection but if your looking for one hat-go with an adventurebilt.However if your like many of us here who want several versions of every piece of indygear you have to get a herbert johnson so you can say its what they used in the movies when people stop and ask you about your iconic hat, and todd offers them for the best price.He's really a nice guy and his customer service(like steve and all dedicated indy vendors) is always top-notch.However if you wear your HJ everyday and through all weather, it'll last about a year and you'll find yourself selling your first born for a new hat.
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel
Location: DBSSWWD ~ "This is how we say goodbye to MIMES in Germany!"

Post by Indiana Jerry »

This hat aside, Todd is in fact a standup guy and does great work, and is one of only a handful of guys able to make distressed gear accurately. Todd deserves a lot of credit, even if this hat is not one of the biggest draws.

But it IS a way to get an HJ, the type of hat Indy wore, bashed and Indy-styled by someone who knows what he's doing. So note that his offering DOES still fill a niche for those who want THE hat, without having to then learn how to style it themselves. ;)

(Necessary disclosure: I own an AB.)
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Here are pics of mine open crowned. And, I want to try out my new hosting for pics. :wink:

Fedora
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

Finally, Fedora starts using Photobucket. No more changed pics and Fotki links.
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Finally, Fedora starts using Photobucket. No more changed pics and Fotki links

:lol: Yes, finally!!! Yes!!! My daughter was over last night and asked me why I did not use them. She found it for me, and showed me how. So, you can teach an old dog new tricks!!! :lol: Fedora
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

I hear ya, Fedora! Though I'm using flickr.com. There's hope for us! :lol:
Vannevar
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Vannevar »

I have an HJ and an AB (well technically, its with steve for a resize cause I ordered it too small) and it is far superior to the HJ. take it from me, a guy who bought an HJ first. I shoulda done more research and gotten an AB.