Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

My New Horsehide Wested.

Post by Hemingway Jones »

Hello,
Peter was kind enough to measure me at the Queen Mary. I knew at that moment I would end up ordering another Wested. Sure enough at the end of November, I did.

Peter was telling about how nice his horsehide is and he was not exaggerating. I am so impressed with how strong this leather is. The jacket is heavy by lambskin standards and the color is awesome. It is perhaps a shade darker than authentic lamb.

This time I asked for the sliders, and I really like them. They are a good clean look. I also asked for the "X-box" stitching.

My lambskin Wested is fully lined in cotton. This one has a cotton body lining and satin arms. It is a nice touch.

I really like the fit of this. It is great to have Peter do the measurements.
Here are some photos. They are not the best, but they'll do for now. With how early it gets dark in Boston, it may take months for me to get some sunlight pictures!

Image Image Image Image Image Image

And yes, the hat is GRAY! :wink: :lol:
Baggers
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Baggers »

Great looking jacket, Hemingway!

Out of curiosity, how stiff is it? I know my Barnstormer can still stand up on it's own after about three weeks. However the HH Flightsuits A-2 I got back in August has finally softened up and is showing some nice grain.

Ah, the lure of horsehide. I'll bet Indy's jacket would have been made from it in real life.

Cheers!
J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

There he is folks, taunting me with that bloody gray fedora again! :twisted: :wink:

That is a great looking jacket my friend! 8) All of these post about new jackets has me wanting one. :wink:
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Hem,

That looks absolutely great, what can I say... it was made for you! ;)

The colour is really interesting like something between Auth and Dk brown, best of both worlds maybe?

And the last pic show the exact sleeve length as advised, 1st knuckle of your hand!

If you can stand to do it would it be possible to show a pic of it lightly folded up next to a lamb to try and show it's flexibility? I know a lamb folds into an amazingly small space cos its so soft!

CONGRATULATIONS your wait is over! :)
Last edited by Kt Templar on Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

How heavy are we talking here?
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Get the scales out, I'm guessing more than double that of the lambskin.
Marc
Vendor

Post by Marc »

=P~ Sweeeeeeet!!! -I've been wanting a Raiders horsehide for AGES, but alway different things turned out as being more important...

In fact I've had several square feet of dacron twill liner from Flighsuits in my locker for over a year now for a jacket like that :(

Ahh well, one day.... maybe...

Wear it with pride Hem!

Regards,

Marc
Indycraze71
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indycraze71 »

Wow looks fantastic! Now another hide option to consider when I order my next Wested. Good as that jacket looks it might be an adventurer's best option to date :D Wear it well Hemingway.
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel
Location: DBSSWWD ~ "This is how we say goodbye to MIMES in Germany!"

Post by Indiana Jerry »

Aw, Hem, you have to show me that once I was happy with mine...that HH is the only thing that might make me buy another! Great shots, thanks for posting them! 8)
Jorenz
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Jorenz »

great pics and great jacket!
Swindiana
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Swindiana »

Perfect! :tup:

Regards,
Swindiana
Jens
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Jens »

Ah, a Horsehide! You have chosen wisely, Hem - my friend! :wink:
The real adventurers jacket - durable and darn good looking!

The perfect jacket for the unbills of adventure, eg. dragging behind a car! A horsehide jacket will do that! Try it! :wink: :D

Kind regards,
Jens
matei
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by matei »

That looks very nice - congratulations!

I originally ordered a horsehide, but ended up going with the goatskin due to a delay in the acquisition of new horsehide.

I handled them both in the shop - the horsehide was very heavy and tough. I liked that! Noticeably heavier than the goat, and way heavier than the lamb. It could probably stop small calibre bullets and go on adventures by itself!
Havana
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Havana »

That jacket really looks great. How long did it take to get it? How much more expensive is the horse? You've really got me pondering the possibilities.
IndyBlues
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndyBlues »

Nice jacket HemJ. The back panel looks great, nice clean lines.
How is the drape of the jacket?? Is it alot stiffer than goat, or is it comparable??
'Blues
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

I have only one word to describe that jacket: MINE--I mean, er, beautiful! Beautiful jacket! 8-[ It looks really good on you, my friend. Wear it in good health. :wink:

bink
Indiana Texas-girl
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Indiana Texas-girl »

Sweet Dog! Looks fabulous. Can't wait til I can order one in a few months. Did you get the 80s fit, or a regular cut? Gussets? Slender sleeves or regular sleeves?

It look very well tapered to the waist. Did you ask for there to be noticable shoulder to waist taper...it really compliments ya.
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Baggers wrote:Great looking jacket, Hemingway!

Out of curiosity, how stiff is it? I know my Barnstormer can still stand up on it's own after about three weeks. However the HH Flightsuits A-2 I got back in August has finally softened up and is showing some nice grain.

Ah, the lure of horsehide. I'll bet Indy's jacket would have been made from it in real life.

Cheers!
Baggers, I also think that ‘in real life’ Indy’s jacket would have been HH and that is why I ordered this one. That, and the fact that my lamb is taking a beating. Plus, I wanted something different and this is as far away from lamb as one could get.

It is not that stiff. It is dense. It is rather supple and the leather is fine.
Kt Templar wrote:Hem,

That looks absolutely great, what can I say... it was made for you! ;)

The colour is really interesting like something between Auth and Dk brown, best of both worlds maybe?

And the last pic show the exact sleeve length as advised, 1st knuckle of your hand!

If you can stand to do it would it be possible to show a pic of it lightly folded up next to a lamb to try and show it's flexibility? I know a lamb folds into an amazingly small space cos its so soft!

CONGRATULATIONS your wait is over! :)
Kt, thanks for listening to me as I was expressing my anxiety in waiting. You were one of the only people I told directly about ordering this jacket. I was trying to forget it was on order, but how could I, really?

I am impressed with the color also. I was expecting it to be russet, like some of the other HH jackets I’ve seen. I was sort of expecting it to be a bit more brown than GuyBrush’s new jacket or Baggers.

Peter said I would be impressed with the color and quality of this jacket and I am.

Tonight, I will do some comparison shots with my lamb jacket. Yes, lamb gets very very small. It makes it nice to pack along.
Thanks, Kt!
Strider wrote:How heavy are we talking here?
About as heavy as cowhide or say, slightly heavier than goat, certainly denser. My lambskin is as light as a suit jacket, this one feels like a jacket.
Marc wrote:=P~ Sweeeeeeet!!! -I've been wanting a Raiders horsehide for AGES, but alway different things turned out as being more important...

In fact I've had several square feet of dacron twill liner from Flighsuits in my locker for over a year now for a jacket like that :(

Ahh well, one day.... maybe...

Wear it with pride Hem!

Regards,

Marc
Thanks, Marc, I will. I wanted one for a long time as well. I wanted that 1930’s authentic test pilot barnstormer look as HH certainly gives you that.

Thank you, Craze! Jorenz! Thank you, Tone, and for your PM. And my brother, Swindi. :wink:

Jens, thanks for the advice. This jacket certainly feels as if it could stand the abuse.

Matei, I agree the jacket is heavy, but it is a good look.

Thanks, Jerry. That’s what happened to me; I saw other people’s horsehides and I knew I had to have one!
Havana wrote:That jacket really looks great. How long did it take to get it? How much more expensive is the horse? You've really got me pondering the possibilities.
Thanks, Havana. I ordered it November 24th and received it yesterday. I’ll tell you; it was tough seeing all of those, “It only took a week and a half to get my Wested” posts!
I’m not sure how much more expensive it is; I haven’t checked the bill on my credit card. The invoice says 155 pounds sterling, so just convert that to USD.
It is an amazing jacket, my friend. I cannot recommend it enough.
IndyBlues wrote:Nice jacket HemJ. The back panel looks great, nice clean lines.
How is the drape of the jacket?? Is it alot stiffer than goat, or is it comparable??
'Blues
Thank you, my friend. I like the back panel also. It has that superhero silhouette, and probably the only time I’ll ever have it.
The jacket drapes nicely, but nothing like a lamb. It’s not really stiffer than goat, it’s similar, but it is a lot denser than goat, if you know what I mean. It feels a lot like my goat LL Bean Flying Tiger Jacket, but this horsehide is dense.

Thank you, bink. We can share it! But since I am 6’2” and you are 5’4” it may be more of a trench coat on you, my dear friend!
Indiana Texas-girl wrote:Sweet Dog! Looks fabulous. Can't wait til I can order one in a few months. Did you get the 80s fit, or a regular cut? Gussets? Slender sleeves or regular sleeves?

It look very well tapered to the waist. Did you ask for there to be noticable shoulder to waist taper...it really compliments ya.
Thank you, ITG! Peter and I spoke about this on the QM and I left a lot of things up to him. I didn’t specify 80’s cut or regular or the sleeve cut; I left it all up to him and I am glad I did. I didn’t ask for Gussets.

That shoulder to waist taper is all me, I have been working out and… anyone buying this??? :lol: Actually, I think that look is a product of two things: 1) Peter did the measuring and 2) the back panel extends all the way to the shoulder joint. I really like the way it looks.
Thanks for your nice comments, ITG. :wink: :D
Havana
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Havana »

Thanks for sharing all the info on the jacket. It's very inspiring. By the way, are you a 42 regular? If so, would you like to come over for a friendly game of cards?
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Havana wrote:Thanks for sharing all the info on the jacket. It's very inspiring. By the way, are you a 42 regular? If so, would you like to come over for a friendly game of cards?
:lol: Whew! 44L. I don't think I would like the outcome of that game! :wink: :lol:
duc
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by duc »

I have seen the light and it is your jacket. Our dimensions aren't far off either. When I finally get mine, I hope it looks as good on me as yours does on you.

One question: Does it have inside pocket(s)?

Well, two questions: Does anyone know if Wested will put snaps on the collar (similar to the A-2) to keep them from flapping around while riding a motorcycle?

My anxiousness (is that a word?) keeps climbing. Nice jacket...
Feraud
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Feraud »

A very beautiful jacket Hemingway J-! I really like what I have read about the horsehide. My next Wested would definitely be in that hide.
Please let us know how it breaks in and drapes compared to the lambskin.
Crusader556
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Crusader556 »

Beautiful jacket HJ! :D

Is the color considered dark brown or authentic brown? It looks DB to me but I noticed you mentioned it was a bit darker than AB in your post.

I've been very happy with my Wested goat but if I ever get another Wested it will be horse hide!
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

The grey hat perfectly matches with the new lovely jacket my friend :wink:

Now let's see some action photos :P
Masterfulks
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Masterfulks »

Very nice jacket!

The reason I got the Goat, is like you, I thought Indy would be sporting a tougher hide than Lamb.

I was worried that HH would be too stiff for me, but after seeing your pics it looks like it would be a nice one to have. Especially if you're going to be rough on it.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Size 44, eh? Well, when you get tired of it, just send it on down here HJ. You have the address. (grins)

VERY nice jacket, my friend!!

High regards! Michaelson
Jorenz
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Jorenz »

Wow! only 155 my invoice says 175 for my dark brown lamb. Makes me consider getting the next one in HH.
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

duc wrote:I have seen the light and it is your jacket. Our dimensions aren't far off either. When I finally get mine, I hope it looks as good on me as yours does on you.

One question: Does it have inside pocket(s)?

Well, two questions: Does anyone know if Wested will put snaps on the collar (similar to the A-2) to keep them from flapping around while riding a motorcycle?

My anxiousness (is that a word?) keeps climbing. Nice jacket...
Thank you, duc.
It has one inside pocket on the left. Wested probably would do snaps on the undersides of the collar, if you asked. I can’t imagine it would be much different than a storm-flap.
Feraud wrote:A very beautiful jacket Hemingway J-! I really like what I have read about the horsehide. My next Wested would definitely be in that hide.
Please let us know how it breaks in and drapes compared to the lambskin.
Thank you, Fedraud, I most certainly will.
Crusader556 wrote:Beautiful jacket HJ! :D

Is the color considered dark brown or authentic brown? It looks DB to me but I noticed you mentioned it was a bit darker than AB in your post.

I've been very happy with my Wested goat but if I ever get another Wested it will be horse hide!
Thank you, Crusader, I appreciate your comments.
I think the color is simply Horsehide brown. There used to be a more red horsehide, but this seems to be the current color offering and it is wonderful.
erri_wan wrote:The grey hat perfectly matches with the new lovely jacket my friend :wink:

Now let's see some action photos :P
Tahnk you, erri. You know how much I love my gray Adventurebilt! Give me time for the action shots; I am off to Central America next week!
Masterfulks wrote:Very nice jacket!

The reason I got the Goat, is like you, I thought Indy would be sporting a tougher hide than Lamb.

I was worried that HH would be too stiff for me, but after seeing your pics it looks like it would be a nice one to have. Especially if you're going to be rough on it.
That’s exactly what I was thinking, Masterfulks. The HH is not too stiff. It feels denser, but no more stiff than goat. Still goat is an excellent choice and it is a bit lighter.
Michaelson wrote:Size 44, eh? Well, when you get tired of it, just send it on down here HJ. You have the address. (grins)

VERY nice jacket, my friend!!

High regards! Michaelson
Thank you, Michaelson! Yes, I have the address. Did you get the rubber chicken I sent for Christmas???
So, you want the Hemingway Hand-me-downs??? :wink: :D
Jorenz wrote:Wow! only 155 my invoice says 175 for my dark brown lamb. Makes me consider getting the next one in HH.
I didn’t include shipping.
rick5150
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by rick5150 »

That jacket looks great. Now that is how back panel taper should look. Now I may have to get a HH Wested. Thanks a lot Hemingway. :shock:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

We had the rubber chicken for dinner, thank you very much. Went well with the ball bearings that Jess sent as a side dish. \:D/ :lol:

Regards! Michaelson
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Here are the comparison pictures:
Image Image Image Image
Indiana Williams
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Williams »

Very nice, Hemingway :tup:
Your new wested looks awesome. Congratulations, buddy :wink:
Best Regards,
Joe
Indyjim
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indyjim »

Very, VERY nice, Hemingway. Once again, horse has a distinct and unmistakable look to it. You know you aren't wearing some "mall" jacket, that's for sure and for certain. :tup: GREAT jacket!
I like the way it fits at the bottom, a little tighter at the hip than my FS.
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Indiana Williams wrote:Very nice, Hemingway :tup:
Your new wested looks awesome. Congratulations, buddy :wink:
Best Regards,
Joe
Thank you, Joe. I am so happy to have this jacket.
Indyjim wrote:Very, VERY nice, Hemingway. Once again, horse has a distinct and unmistakable look to it. You know you aren't wearing some "mall" jacket, that's for sure and for certain. :tup: GREAT jacket!
I like the way it fits at the bottom, a little tighter at the hip than my FS.
Thank you, jim. I like it a little tighter at the bottom also. The weird thing is, it really isn't tight at the bottom, it just tapers very well.
Ark Hunter
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Ark Hunter »

So is that still considered Authentic Brown or is it dark brown?
Rusty Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist
Location: Raleigh, NC, Running from the Havitos (my (ex)girlfriends' parents)

Post by Rusty Jones »

Good question Doc, I'm curious about that myself, but it looks fantastic Hemmingway J!

Are thinking of distressing it?
Bjones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bjones »

Hey!!! That looks just like mine!!! Except for the taper on that back panel-that looks GREAT. :notworthy:

Awesome jacket Hem....I told you you would love it. It would appear that Peter has found a stable (no pun intended) source for the HH. All the jackets from the last 6-8 months seem to look consistent in the hide and color.

Dude, I am so happy for you - makes me remember when I got mine-I was floating. I've been wearing mine constantly despite the sub freezing temps just to break it in some more.

You wear it well, now just wear it long! You said it right about how strong the leather is - it should last a lifetime. Congratulations on being the proud papa of the newest horse. :wink:
Ark Hunter
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Ark Hunter »

Yeah, that taper does look great! Is it actually tapered or is it just because its cinched? (if it is did you have to specify that option?)
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Bjones wrote:Hey!!! That looks just like mine!!! Except for the taper on that back panel-that looks GREAT. :notworthy:

Awesome jacket Hem....I told you you would love it. It would appear that Peter has found a stable (no pun intended) source for the HH. All the jackets from the last 6-8 months seem to look consistent in the hide and color.

Dude, I am so happy for you - makes me remember when I got mine-I was floating. I've been wearing mine constantly despite the sub freezing temps just to break it in some more.

You wear it well, now just wear it long! You said it right about how strong the leather is - it should last a lifetime. Congratulations on being the proud papa of the newest horse. :wink:
Thank you, Bjones! You were right in everything you said about it to me. I am so glad I listened and to the plunge.

I just keep looking at this jacket and smiling. I wear it around the house. I really love it!
IndyDoc wrote:So is that still considered Authentic Brown or is it dark brown?
It is Horsehide brown. It is certainly darker than the authentic brown lamb, but horsehide only comes in one color, as far as I know.
It does have a bit of a rosy sheen, if you will. I would love to see it in the sunlight. I haven't yet, but I hope to this weekend.
Rusty Jones wrote:Good question Doc, I'm curious about that myself, but it looks fantastic Hemingway J!
Are thinking of distressing it?

Thank you, J!
The only distressing that will be done, will be on my back, incidentally. :wink: :D
Bjones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bjones »

Hemingway Jones wrote: It does have a bit of a rosy sheen, if you will. I would love to see it in the sunlight. I haven't yet, but I hope to this weekend.
Thats a good way to describe the color. The "Red" ones as I''ll call them, the first Wested HH's owned by Rob and WConley seem to have the russet tone bleed through the finish a bit more - ours are more subdued, but if you look at the underside of the hide (like on the edges of the straps), it is dark "rosy" as you put it, red underneath.
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel
Location: DBSSWWD ~ "This is how we say goodbye to MIMES in Germany!"

Post by Indiana Jerry »

OOh, I can't wait to see that in sunlight! Definitely take a pic of that when you get some...Boston's got sunshine coming again in, what, March? ;)
Sweet Dog!
:shock: Who says that? :lol: heeheehee...ITG, I'm trying that one out all day tomorrow, to see what reactions I get..."Sweet Dog! Nice quantum equation, there, Bob." ;) I love expanding my lexicon... :D

I fit Michaelson's hats...AND Hem's jackets? :shock: Move over, Bink, next hug is MINE! :twisted:
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Sorry, Jerry, not until you give me those pants, I mean Pinks! PINKS! :roll:
Ark Hunter
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Re: My New Horsehide Wested.

Post by Ark Hunter »

Hemingway Jones wrote:And yes, the hat is GRAY! :wink: :lol:
That's funny the HH looks grey next to the Authentic (and the hat looks brown in the first photos) Quite a reversal. :lol:
Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Canyon »

Hemingway, what a beautiful jacket!

Allow me to say that it looks fantastic on you! :D

Oh my. I'm doing it again. :oops: :twisted:
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Canyon wrote:Hemingway, what a beautiful jacket!

Allow me to say that it looks fantastic on you! :D

Oh my. I'm doing it again. :oops: :twisted:
Thank you, my dear.! :wink: :D

IndyDoc,
It's all in how the camera sees or doesn't see color.
FloatinJoe
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by FloatinJoe »

Hemmingway,

I had Peter measure me at the QM and have been putting it off. After seeing your jacket tonight, I think I'll be ordering a jacket this weekend. The fit is absolutely perfect. I can't get over how good that looks.

I can feel my cravings as I type this.

Mike
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Excellent, Mike,
Any thought as to what you may get?
Once I had Peter measure me, I couldn't stop thinking about it. I had to order one! I'm glad I did. :wink: :D
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

I just noticed those fold up comparison photos! D'oh. very interesting! You can really appreciate the difference in thickness of the two skins especially on the piped edges. The finish on the HH is good too, less shiney when new than your lamb is now.

This is what I did with mine to illustrate how soft the lamb is:

I wonder how many people are going to quietly ask for the "Superhero" mod. :) He sure knows how to make you look good!
Bjones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bjones »

All this talk on the HH got me to remembering to take some shots of my jacket again after a few months of wear. These were taken with no flash. Here it is, HH TOD +4 months(Hope you don't mind Hem!! Didn't mean to take over your thread!!):

Some grain starting to pop up at the bottom of the front:

And another patch where an interesting pattern is starting to develop on the back panel:
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

That's great to see, Bjones. Now I know what my jacket will look like further down the road, kind of like meeting your girlfriend's mother!
:wink: :lol:

KT, is that Satin lining I see?
That is a very nice lamb. I still love my lamb jacket.