Hats Direct to Adopt Fedora's Block ?

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

rogatywka
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Hats Direct to Adopt Fedora's Block ?

Post by rogatywka »

Is this correct ?
What are the implications for the Fed in terms of crown height and brim width ?
If I'm not dreaming all of this and Hats Direct is listening, how about a silverbelly option ? I need one until I can afford an AB !
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

AS they say here at the Institute...'site your source'. The Fed line was never INTENDED to be the 'be all, do all' Indy fedora, but was created to cover several agendas that the Akubra co. wanted to cover...specifically swing dancers and vintage fedora buffs. It also was made to fill the Indy void that we had at the time, with only Stetson and Miller fedoras then available. They have never been interested in being an 'Indy' only style hat, and adopting one of Fedora's blocks would set them squarely in that position, being completely contrary to their original plan.

So, where did you hear this? It's news to me! Inquring minds want to know! 8)

Regards! Michaelson
Antone
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Antone »

Michaelson wrote:AS they say here at the Institute...'site your source'.

(snip)

So, where did you hear this? It's news to me! Inquring minds want to know! 8)

Regards! Michaelson
Michaelson,

Fedora mentioned that he suggested improvement to their block shape (from a gearhead perspective) to hatsdirect in the first post of this thread:

viewtopic.php?t=14280

I'll believe it's actually happening when I hear it from hatsdirect or Steve himself. Until then, it's something to hope for but not confirmed; I'm sure we'll hear about it as soon as it happens...

Antone
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

He suggested it, but it will probably be a dead end, as Akubra is very reluctant to use outside vendors or blocks not of their own design or build. Steve knows that, and made the suggestion to Ron, who is only one of their distributors (their largest, but just a distributor none the less). All Ron can do is present it the idea to the Akubra family, but from past experiences we've had with OTHER suggestions made to the company, 9 times out of 10, they fall on deaf ears. They're an old 5th generation hat making family, and don't like outside interference.....much. They'll do a few things, but draw the line very quickly. :cry:

Thanks for pointing out your source. I had missed that line.

Regards! Michaelson