More Indy whip pics!!

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

Bernardodc
Vendor

More Indy whip pics!!

Post by Bernardodc »

Hi again,

Since I had a photo session this weekend with my whips, I thought about sharing a few pics with you guys.

Here's my collection of Indy whips, including: my Morgans, a Strain, a Schultz, a Winrich (in cowhide), and my new Stenhouse, even though its black, its really an Indy style bullwhip.

Hope you like them,

Bernardo

Last edited by Bernardodc on Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
ecwhips
Vendor

Post by ecwhips »

Very nice, Bernardo. We'll have to see about getting a Markell into your collection one day! :wink:

Jim
Rumpled Fedora
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Rumpled Fedora »

:shock:
Those are very high-res pics you got there! How many megapixels do you have in that camera?

Beautiful whips too! :P
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Hemingway Jones »

That is an amazing collection of beautiful whips photographed extraordinarily well. Great Job!
winrichwhips
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by winrichwhips »

I take it the Schultz is the furthest one on the right. I saw a couple of his Indys at the WSP stand in Claremore and the had a unique style, which was sort of Indy-ish, though not quite. With yours, Bernardo, it looks like Mark Allen sent Russell a Strain whip as a reference.

I'm gonna post pics of my whip colleciton once I get all the whips coming to me. I'm waiting on 6 stockwhips from Janine Fraser, which I hope to get soon I'm also waiting for 4 nylon cow-whips from Indiana Hall (aka Chris). I recently got a mint-condition 10 ft Bucheimer bullwhip that's never been cracked and I don't think it's even been greased, either. I wonder if I should grease it or just leave it coiled up and dry. Or, I could resell it so somebody else has to worry about it 8)

Well, I think I'll end up with 20 whips or something when they all come in. Now I've got to try not to buy anymore, though part of me wants to catch up to Paul Nolan's record of having 30 whips at one time.

Nice collection, Bernardo. How much have you spent on whips so far? I think I've spent $4000 so far this year. That includes a pair of fire whips, btw. Crazy, huh, that I make them and all I do is buy them from other makers.

-Adam
BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

You have an impressive collection Bernardo, thanks for posting. Those are great photos too; I always enjoy seeing high-resolution comparison photos like that. I just ordered a 6ft saddle tan Indy bullwhip from Joe Strain last week, after seeing your pictures I am really glad went with that color this time.

Adam, I talked to Janine about a month ago while she was just getting ready to send those stockwhips out to you. She makes some really special whips, your going to love them. Look forward to seeing some pics.

Dan
Texas Raider
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Texas Raider »

Is the Shultz (the one on the right?) a 12 plait or 16? It looks sweet! Super nice collection, my friend!

have a great day!
Darth V.A.D.E.R
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Darth V.A.D.E.R »

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: Great collection Bernardo!
Bernardodc
Vendor

Post by Bernardodc »

Thanks guys for the nice words about my whips and the photos! :D
I'm glad you liked them.

I used a 4 point something megapixels camera, and did some color correction and sharpening in Photoshop. Then I reduced the photos to an appropiate size following this forum's regulations 8)

I took the pics using indirect natural light (next to a window) on a sunny day in Arequipa, (that's almost all year.)

Texas Raider,
Yes, its the one on the right. 12 plait, 8 foot. Please check the other thread about WSP Indy whips.

Jim,
I look forward to adding one of your whips to my collection! Do you still have my Cowhide Indy?

Adam,

When I spoke to Russell, he said he had a loan Strain bullwhip on hand. Although he didn't say, it was probably sent by Mark Allen. In any case, mine is really close to a Strain, but at the same time its not a copy, rather, its his own version on the Indy bullwhip.

Frankly, I'd raher not add up all the money I've spent on whips :oops:
but I can tell you've spent a lot more than me! :D

Even though as you know I am a whipmaker, I really like to collect whips from other whipmakers. I have only two whips of mine, the first one, that its too ugly to even hang it on a wall, and the fourth, that I kept because it turned out great, and it took me so many ours that I wasn't selling it at any price. I've used that whip a lot, and now its old, almost asking for retirement.

I intend to keep buying bullwhips, as I'm absolutely obsessed with them, specially the Indy style. Next up on my bullwhip list is a Mike Murphy "American Pattern" bullwhip, and another Shultz, this time a Brady style...but then, I need to stop buying more whips and save some money to go to next's years WWAC convention! :cry:

Bernardo
Last edited by Bernardodc on Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Re: More Indy whip pics!!

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Bernardodc wrote:
WOW! Those are some incredible pictures! Can you label the whips in this picture from left to right? I think this could be an excellent comparison pic for the main site, if you'd be willing to share the pic.

bink
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

Seems to me it's as follows:

Winrich, Morgan, Morgan, Stenhouse, Strain, Shultz
ecwhips
Vendor

Post by ecwhips »

Bernardodc wrote:Thanks guys for the nice words about my whips and the photos! :D
I'm glad you liked them.

Jim,
I look forward to adding one of your whips to my collection! Do you still have my Cowhide Indy?
Bernardo
Bernardo,

Absolutely! I love that whip, and I can't tell you enough about how well it handles. It's a 10 footer that cracks about as easily as an 8 footer.

Like yourself and Adam, I had spent more money than I care to add up on other makers whips. Trouble was I had too many to use, and I always hated to let them just sit around in my whip bag, and I sold most of them over the years. Plus, I never had any of my own whips, and I figured if anyone was going to take me seriously as a whipmaker, I had better start using my own product! People would start to think, "hmmm...if you don't use your own whips then why should I buy one"? :P

Jim
Last edited by ecwhips on Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bernardodc
Vendor

Post by Bernardodc »

Hey Bink! long time no see :D

Absolutely. I'll be more than happy to share the pic.

Whiskyman got the order right.

Jim,

You are right. I think Adam Winrich mentioned that sometime ago, if you are a whipmaker, you'd better use and show your own whips! :D

Bernardo
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Thanks, guys! I just think it's a great comparison for folks wanting to "see" the difference between the numerous whips offered. They all look good! Good to see you too, Bernardodc, though I take it you've been in here all along! Me, I usually hang out in the fedora section. Still, I have to check up on the whips once in a while. :wink:

bink
Bernardodc
Vendor

Post by Bernardodc »

Since the pics have been so well received, here's another one showing handles with different transition zones stiffness:

Bernardo
Bernardodc
Vendor

Post by Bernardodc »

And another one showing the points. From top to bottom: Morgan, Morgan, Strain, Stenhouse, Schultz.

Last edited by Bernardodc on Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zohar
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by zohar »

Wow, I really like that Schultz! You can definitely tell that he copied a Strain, but it is unique.

It's neat that I'm finally getting to where I can somewhat identify a whipmaker by just looking at the pictures. I'm nowhere near as good at identification as many here, but it's encouraging nonetheless.

Does Schultz have a website?
Bernardodc
Vendor

Post by Bernardodc »

Zohar,

No, he doesn't. He only takes orders through WSP.

Regards,

Bernardo
BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

If you wanted to get a hold of him though, his contact information is listed on the Australian Plaiters & Whipmakers Associations website at http://www2.tpg.com.au/users/ramskull/whipmake.htm

However I think his email address might be out of date, last time I used it the message was bounced back.

Dan
Texas Raider
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Texas Raider »

I agree, that Schultz is awesome! The strips of leather are so thin compared to the others. That's why I thought it might be a 16 plait. It's BEAUTIFUL! How much are his whips, anyway?

have a nice day.
Sergei
Admin Emeritus
Location: Off the grid, in from the cold - Jack's Canyon ~1119

Post by Sergei »

zohar wrote:Wow, I really like that Schultz! You can definitely tell that he copied a Strain, but it is unique.

It's neat that I'm finally getting to where I can somewhat identify a whipmaker by just looking at the pictures. I'm nowhere near as good at identification as many here, but it's encouraging nonetheless.

Does Schultz have a website?
Actually.... it was Schultz that gave a few pointers to Joe a few years back. Joe used to make his whips really, really, really, really tight and little more heavier than he does now. How do I know? Well I have one of his 10 footers that was made around 1999-2000. Man that thing was a spear. Did I say it was tight? It took forever to relax. Anyway, from what I recollect it was Russell that gave him a few pointers at the WWAC convention in 2001 or 2000. Can't remember precisely.

After that year, Joe's whips improved. They became lighter and wound not as tight - but still plenty tight. Don't get me wrong the old Joe's had the same precision, same straight seams and the level of detail as his current work, but it was so tight. To this day, when anyone picks up that whip, they are surprised that it's a Strain due to the heft. And it's finally relaxed after 5 years.

-S
ecwhips
Vendor

Post by ecwhips »

As long as we're all sharing pictures again, here's a snake whip I literally finished about 10 minutes ago. I don't like the knob too much, and I'm going to redo it tomorrow. But you get the idea. :P

whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

Bernardodc wrote:And another one showing the points. From top to bottom: Morgan, Morgan, Strain, Stenhouse, Schultz.

Wow, that second morgan looks like a monster compared to the others!

Nice snake whip, Jim. :D
Mola Ram
Vendor

Post by Mola Ram »

Nice Jim!

Is that cowhide? That really is a nice whip.
Ive been "out of the loop" for a while now, Ive had practicly no time to do any whipmaking, but i think i may bust the stuff out this weekend. Bernardo Thoes pictures you posted are driving me crazy...thoes whips look great! That black one is awsome!
Adam
ecwhips
Vendor

Post by ecwhips »

Mola Ram wrote:Nice Jim!

Is that cowhide? That really is a nice whip.
Ive been "out of the loop" for a while now, Ive had practicly no time to do any whipmaking, but i think i may bust the stuff out this weekend. Bernardo Thoes pictures you posted are driving me crazy...thoes whips look great! That black one is awsome!
Adam
Thanks, Adam! No it's roohide. I was going to do an Indy in roohide, but I had these two small hides laying around so I decided to use them up for a little snakewhip. I tell you, it was so nice to work with roohide after making so many of those 8 plait whips with the 5.5 oz cowhide. That stuff can be hard to work with becuase it's so thick, and the fuzz it creates when you cut it up goes everywhere. I have to vaccum the shop every half hour!

Jim
Mola Ram
Vendor

Post by Mola Ram »

Yea,

the fuzz can be a pain :lol:
By the way where do you get your cowhide?
The stuff you have looks pretty good.

Adam
ecwhips
Vendor

Post by ecwhips »

Mola Ram wrote:Yea,

the fuzz can be a pain :lol:
By the way where do you get your cowhide?
The stuff you have looks pretty good.

Adam
I have a bunch of different cowhides from different places. The ones I've been using lately come from Brettuns Leather. They're the Spurfire hides they have on their website. I have some nice veg tanned cowhide in natural tan like Bernardo and Adam Winrich use, that I'm going to makes some whips with in the next few days.

Jim
The_Edge
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by The_Edge »

Great pix. They should be in a sticky at the top of this forum for reference. All you're missing is a genuine Shold Pocket Bull. 8)
Paul_Stenhouse
Vendor

Post by Paul_Stenhouse »

Dear Bernardo,

Great pictures. The black one really stands out!!!

Best Regards,

Paul Stenhouse
GraveRobberGreg
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by GraveRobberGreg »

Outstanding collection. Makes me want to start buying more to add to my ONE whip. A IOAB made by Adam. I have gone through about 5 poppers now and have only had the whip less than 4 months or so. I love the thunderous crack i get from it.

Thanks again Adam for a wonderful whip.
Bernardodc
Vendor

Post by Bernardodc »

Again, thank you all for the kind words. There's been a lot of replies...let's see:

Dan,
Russell's current e-mail is: rsc76692@bigpond.net.au

He asked me to remark that anyone interested can contact him there, BUT HE ONLY TAKES ORDERS THROUGH WESTERN STAGE PROPS. (He's been reading this thread.)

Texas Raider,
All WSP Indy whips cost the same regardless of the maker.

Jim,
That's a great looking little whip. Thanks for contributing with your pics. I look forward to seeing pics of your veg tanned whips!

Adam (Mola Ram)
That black bull from Paul Stenhouse has become one of my favorites! It combines wide strands and neat plaiting, it's heavy, well balanced and flows extremely well. Very consistent plaiting. Great job Paul!

Kyle (The Edge)
A genuine Shold Pocket Bull (TM) :D is certainly on my list! One year from now I'm going to take some more pics, and I hope to have your little bullwhip in my collection by then.

Paul (Stenhouse)
Thanks! Having handsome whips really heps the pics turn good. I couldn't be any happier with your whip. By the way, I'd like to ring you before you live to NZ to talk whips. Please let me know by e-mail a good day and time to call you .

Thanks again guys!

Bernardo
Mola Ram
Vendor

Post by Mola Ram »

I was wondering about that hide,
guess ill have to give it a try.
Adam :D
RandallFlagg
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by RandallFlagg »

Fracking WOW! :tup: \:D/ :tup:

I have a lot more skills to learn, apparently.
BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

Jim, great snake whip, looks down right wicked!

Bernardo; I’ll keep that email for future reference. Been enjoying your pictures, saved them all. Thanks.

Russell, Some of the most skilled whip makers in the world are members here; and we certainly have room for a few more. If you’re not a member of Indy gear yet, join up. We would be lucky to have you on board.

Dan
Obiwampa
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Man...

Post by Obiwampa »

You are one lucky SOB! I would kill to have just ONE whip but sheesh... I can't justify spending that kind of money on something so, well, not useless, but I can't think of another word. The jacket, shirt, shoes, pants, hat, boots, even the bag are all useable, and wearable in day to day life, but what am I really gonna DO with a whip? :( Self defense?
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Well, for some, it's a tool of the trade. For others, it's as much a hobby as collecting baseball cards, paper clips, or hats is for others. It's a matter of perspective (and cash) really.

bink
Farnham54
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Farnham54 »

Y'know, I remember telling Kilgour Trout about a year and a bit ago, after my first Wested got stolen, my cheap nylon whip broke, and my bag wore through, that "Y'know, i've got the hat, I've had the whip and the bag and the jacket...I think I'm going to stop buying indygear and stick with my hat, but stay online for the community"

Now, after seeing those pics, it looks like a whip is in my future too, only a month after ordering a wested and getting a new Mk. Vii bag from Todd!

Very nice pics, bernardodc!

Cheers
Craig
ecwhips
Vendor

Re: Man...

Post by ecwhips »

Obiwampa wrote:You are one lucky SOB! I would kill to have just ONE whip but sheesh... I can't justify spending that kind of money on something so, well, not useless, but I can't think of another word. The jacket, shirt, shoes, pants, hat, boots, even the bag are all useable, and wearable in day to day life, but what am I really gonna DO with a whip? :( Self defense?
Go pick up a copy of Art of the Bullwhip, and Fundamental Whipcracking Techniques and you'll see what kind of fun you can have with a whip. Then, get yourself a whip and you'll be hooked.

Jim
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Re: Man...

ecwhips wrote:Go pick up a copy of Art of the Bullwhip, and Fundamental Whipcracking Techniques and you'll see what kind of fun you can have with a whip.

Jim
Oh, MAN am I trying my best to behave! :shock: :lol: :wink:

bink
Obiwampa
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

No, no, I've been a good boy, I swear...

Post by Obiwampa »

I know having a whip would be fun, but so is a trip to Chucky Cheese. I REALLY, REALLY want one bad, cause the best present I ever recieved was a whip. I was turning seven, and my uncle pulled into the driveway, stepped out of his car, and cracks this huge bullwhip over his head! :shock: When I found out it was for me I probably started to hyperventilate. I have very vivid memorys of tying it to tree branches and swinging across gaping chasms, all the time whistling the Raiders theme. I also remember trying to crack it while standing on our gravel driveway, and propelling a stone the size of a pea right into my eye. It was just a cheap cowhide swivel handle model, probably only around 20$ at the time, ('85-'86?), but to me it was the coolest thing I had ever held. Up untill then, I just used nylon rope for my adventures. I, being a kid, promptly lost it in the woods, and I've secretly been wanting one ever since. :lol: So, you see, a whip is something I would dearly love to have, but real life intervenes, bills, bills, daughter, girlfriend, ect. Sigh.

Maybe she will read this and tearfully beg me to let her buy me one. :)
BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

Well Obiwampa everyone’s priorities are different but I think "useless" is a bit harsh. Whip cracking it a challenging sport and an exciting hobby. Many people take a lot of enjoyment from it and that in itself makes it worthwhile.

If you really want to see what you can learn to do with a whip check out Australia's Greatest Whip Artist John Brady's tape. :wink: It’s a bit intimidating , but only a little. :lol: There is even a free clip over on the western stage props website.

Dan
Last edited by BullWhipBorton on Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Obiwampa
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Obiwampa »

see above ^
BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

Maybe she will read this and tearfully beg me to let her buy me one.
Fair enough :D, just remind her that the holidays are coming and everyone deserves to be a kid again sometimes. Just don’t whip your eye out kid! :lol:

Dan
RandallFlagg
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by RandallFlagg »

ecwhips wrote:The ones I've been using lately come from Brettuns Leather.
Jim
What's the best leather they have that you've personally used? I finally got caught up on my bills and am working on a 12 plait ten footer out of some cheap "On Sale" stuff. That Brettuns sent me a whole bunch of free samples and I'm wondering what you'd suggest for my next bullwhip project. Thanks.
ecwhips
Vendor

Post by ecwhips »

RandallFlagg wrote:
ecwhips wrote:The ones I've been using lately come from Brettuns Leather.
Jim
What's the best leather they have that you've personally used? I finally got caught up on my bills and am working on a 12 plait ten footer out of some cheap "On Sale" stuff. That Brettuns sent me a whole bunch of free samples and I'm wondering what you'd suggest for my next bullwhip
project. Thanks.
Randall,

The best stuff I've used from them are the Spurfire Sides. There are two issues with them though. One is that all they have left are the second grade skins. They're not bad, but they're stretchy in spots and tend to have holes. Two, that leather is tough to work with because it's very thick. You'll give your arms and hands a workout trying to plait it tight, and it's hard to get smooth strand drops. I don't reccomend it for someone who's just learning to make a whip, and I wouldn't go any higher than 8 plait with it. I would go to Seigels, http://www.siegelofca.com, and get the 3-4 oz tooling side. It will run you about $65-$70 for 20-25 sq. feet. It looks a lot like natural tan roohide, and it's a lot easier to work with.

Jim
Morgan Alden
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Re: More Indy whip pics!!

Post by Morgan Alden »

Bernardodc wrote:Hi again,

Since I had a photo session this weekend with my whips, I thought about sharing a few pics with you guys.

Here's my collection of Indy whips, including: my Morgans, a Strain, a Shultz, a Winrich (in cowhide), and my new Stenhouse, even though its black, its really an Indy style bullwhip.

Hope you like them,

Bernardo
I am ssssooooooooo jealous! :o Thanks for sharing your pics!!! :whip: :clap: :clap: