Found another Zippo Insert Option

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Relic Raider
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Found another Zippo Insert Option

Post by Relic Raider »

While shopping for a new butane-powered jet flame pocket torch, I came accidentally across another alternative insert for Zippo lighters, the butane-powered Blazer Z-Plus torch insert. Simply google "blazer zplus" and "images" and you will find plenty information on it. I have ordered one from amazon.com and will post a review and pictures for your convenience once I have received and checked out the piece the item. If the insert is as good as other Blazer products, it's a winner. For now, let's reiteriate all Zippo insert options:

Standard Zippo Inserts:
- the standard Zippo lighter insert; takes lighter fluid (comes with every Zippo lighter)
- the Zippo pipe lighter insert; takes lighter fluid (You will have to buy a Zippo pipe lighter version)

Alternative Lighter Inserts:
- Thunderbird insert: butane gas-powered, standard flame. You have to buy a Thunderbird lighter because the inserts are not available seperately. Cost ca $15 plus shipping (not available through me!)
- Blazer Z-Plus insert: butane gas powered, piezo ignition, jet flame/torch for soldering, cutting nylon rope and lighting cigars. This item is vailable seperately as insert for ca $10 plus shipping (not available through me!)

Alternative Non-Lighter Inserts:
- The ZipLight insert, which is a mini flashlight (discontinued -- search ebay, flea markets, etc)
- The Modified ZipLight (LED conversion) by yours truly (currently in stock and available for shipping within 24 hours)
- The ZipLight Laser Pointer Insert by yours truly (available in extremely limited numbers -- not sold to minors)

Cheers,
-Relic Raider
Last edited by Relic Raider on Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IndyBlues
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndyBlues »

Oh man!! I NEED one of those!!!
'Blues
Relic Raider
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Relic Raider »

Don't you need at least one of each insert? :lol:

Blues, I've been meaning to talk to you and some other guys on AIM, but I've been having AIM trouble and I've also been very busy lately. :roll:

Cheers,
-Relic Raider
Mola Ram
Vendor

Post by Mola Ram »

NICE!

i was about to buy a butane lighter too,
this is much better :D Thanks for the heads up!
Adam
Relic Raider
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Relic Raider »

One word of caution regarding jet flame torches: if you want to use the lighter as a light source when spelunking, it won't work, because the very hot blue flame doesn't put out enough visible light. The nozzle design ***** in a large amount of oxygen which results in a very hot but not bright flame. A standard gasoline/petrol insert or a butane insert has a regular, bright flame that puts put more light than a candle. But as you know, you can customize your Zippo with the proper insert for almost any task. :wink:

Cheers,
-Relic Raider
Mola Ram
Vendor

Post by Mola Ram »

Thats where the Ziplight comes in :D
A butane insert is deffinatly more practical than a standard fuel tank if you dont use it that often, and hate the smell.
Adam
Relic Raider
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Relic Raider »

I like the smell of volatile hydrocarbons. :lol:

The standard insert has the advantage of being very simple, durable and super-reliable. You get a flame and a light source. The butane insert is more convenient while also offering a flame and light source, but its mechanism is much more complex and more prone to failure.

Cheers,
-Relic Raider
Sergei
Admin Emeritus
Location: Off the grid, in from the cold - Jack's Canyon ~1119

Post by Sergei »

I can highly recommend the butane insert done by Blazer. I have a fairly sizeable collection of Zippo's and this insert is a god-send. I put them in about 5 lighters now. They are great for cigar lighting and lighting up camp stoves in the backcountry. The only downside is elevation. At 4500 ft. it was a chore to light. I am sure, above 5000 ft. it's worthless.
Relic Raider
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Relic Raider »

Sergei is touching on an issue that exists with all simple butane lighters and torches. Most allow only flame height adjustment by varying the amount of butane. If you plan on using a lighter at considerable altitude, over a few thousand feet up, you should choose a model that allows you to adjust the amount of oxygen that is used.

Cheers,
-Relic Raider
Zach R.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Zach R. »

Relic Raider wrote:But as you know, you can customize your Zippo with the proper insert for almost any task. :wink:

Cheers,
-Relic Raider
I can just imagine someone carrying a Chewbacca-style bandolier of clover lighters, each perfectly suited for their individual purpose. :lol:
Texas Raider
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Texas Raider »

pphhhahahahahaha, that's a good one Zach! :lol:

have a great day.
Relic Raider
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Relic Raider »

I received the two Blazer Zip-Plus inserts (designed in USA, made in China) that I orderd a while ago. Here are my impressions:

- solid construction: HDPE 2 (?) tank, chrome-plated metal top with high polish finish
- nice finish, although very shiny
- the little metal lever has no beveled edges, which makes for a little less smooth action, but shoud improve after wearing in
- amount of gas can be adjusted; at medium setting flame length is ca 1 3/4"
- amount of air cannot be varied -- unsuitable for use at high altitudes
- no locking mechanism for flame like other Blazer torches
- claims to be wind-resistant, I'd say it's not wind-resistant at all.

Fit:

- #200 Zippo: a bit loose; a bit tape on the insert makes for a tighter fit
- Armored Zippo: pretty tight fit, but no problem
- 1937 Vintage Zippo: very good fit
- 1941 Replica Zippo: very good fit

Does it fire up each time? The ignition works about 7 out of ten times, which isn't great. The flame tends to spontaneously go out on occasion, which is frustrating. I don't think you can expect more for $10. A professional Blazer Micro torch is much better but costs about $40 and of course does not fit in a Zippo.

Is it worth it? If you need lighter with jet torch, then I think it's worth it. Don't plan on using it at high altitude or in windy conditions. All in all I'd rather recommend the Thunderbird insert if you want a butane insert.

I'll post some pictures during the next couple days.

Cheers,
-Relic Raider
Texas Raider
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Texas Raider »

I'm expecting mine any day now, hopefully Fri. or Sat. Thanks for the review!

have a nice day.
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel
Location: DBSSWWD ~ "This is how we say goodbye to MIMES in Germany!"

Post by Indiana Jerry »

Zach R. wrote:
Relic Raider wrote:But as you know, you can customize your Zippo with the proper insert for almost any task. :wink:

Cheers,
-Relic Raider
I can just imagine someone carrying a Chewbacca-style bandolier of clover lighters, each perfectly suited for their individual purpose. :lol:
Actually, I spent quite a bit of time in my local surplus store looking for something w/ the right size pockets for just that intent... ;) ...still haven't found what I'm looking for. Might just have to breakdown and buy a Bat Utility Belt. :D
Relic Raider
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Relic Raider »

I made another observation regading the fit of the Z-Plus insert in the #200 Zippo. Although the fit is on the loose side in a plain #200, not that the Z-Plus will fall out if inverted, in a #200 with badges, the Z-Plus fits tightly. Badges make the sidewalls of the Zippo case stiffer and make for a tighter fit. :tup:

Cheers,
-Relic Raider
Texas Raider
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Texas Raider »

I got mine today, totally flippin' cool!! I was going to post, Relic Raider, that mine fit into my #200 just perfectly, not loose at all, BUT, it does have your badges on it! :lol:.

have a nice day.
Indiana_Zach
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Indiana_Zach »

That is awsome!
Swab
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Swab »

I made another observation regading the fit of the Z-Plus insert in the #200 Zippo. Although the fit is on the loose side in a plain #200, not that the Z-Plus will fall out if inverted, in a #200 with badges, the Z-Plus fits tightly. Badges make the sidewalls of the Zippo case stiffer and make for a tighter fit.
The lesson is kids: buy badges from Relic Raider, then you too can have the perfect insert fit!
Mola Ram
Vendor

Post by Mola Ram »

im going for #3 :D
That black one in Relics avatar
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel
Location: DBSSWWD ~ "This is how we say goodbye to MIMES in Germany!"

Post by Indiana Jerry »

Relic Raider wrote:I made another observation regading the fit of the Z-Plus insert in the #200 Zippo. Although the fit is on the loose side in a plain #200, not that the Z-Plus will fall out if inverted, in a #200 with badges, the Z-Plus fits tightly. Badges make the sidewalls of the Zippo case stiffer and make for a tighter fit. :tup:

Cheers,
-Relic Raider
There's a marketing angle for you... "Relic Raider badges improve the structural integrity of the common Zippo." ;)
Swab
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Swab »

Wow Jerry!
Thought of going into marketing?? That slogan could change the way zippo badges are sold!

Relic Raider, you should hire this guy. He could easily help your business grow by leaps and bounds using nothing but the power of persuasive language and clever syntax!
Farnham54
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Farnham54 »

Swab,

Give jerry a job? Then we'd never be rid of him! :P :lol: That's like offering Bink a job at a coatcheck in a bar, nobody would have any pocket contents left after the first night!

Just jostlin' ya Jer, don't be going anywhere! but I'm serious about not giving bink a job at a coatcheck :shock: :lol:

Cheers
Craig
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

That's okay, because I have a job in marketing. Besides, I do the coat check job for free. :wink:

bink. it's what's for dinner.
Prof. Ed
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Prof. Ed »

I have this insert and it works great. The flame is a "jet flame" so you can light candles at a down angle without burning yourself.
Also, Relic Raider's flashlight insert is super. Bright LED and batteries that can be replaced. Very handy and fun to use.
Great for people that have Zippo lighters and don't smoke anymore :wink:
Relic Raider
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Relic Raider »

Thanks guys.

If you want to see an image of all available functional petrol and butane inserts, click http://home.earthlink.net/~relic_raider ... nserts.jpg. This image does not show all the various types of regular Zippo inserts, but just one in lieu of all. The differences are marginal - unless you have a pipe lighter insert.

Again, those alternatives are not available through me.

Cheers.
-Relic Raider