Indy bullwhip size?

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

Ghost
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Indy bullwhip size?

Post by Ghost »

I am going to try my hand at making a whip and would like to get some info please. I would like this to resemble a Morgan so any help would be great!
(I of course know my first bunch of whips will not be any good but want to try!)

This is my understanding of the Indy whip size. 12 foot, 12 plat, 8 inch handle. But can some one measure around the handle for a diameter size and for around the Turks head at the end, what is the diameter about 1 foot down?

Also on the whip page for the Indy whip it’s stated that it has a “12 plait kangaroo overlay” any whip makers out there know if it would be solid kangaroo to the core then? (minus the steel center rod of course)

I would guess you could just take a tape measure and go around the spots.

Thanks for the help guys and gals!

-Thomas Ghost
winrichwhips
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by winrichwhips »

You should buy the latest edition of Morgan's book, Whips and Whipmaking, to learn how he makes the core and bellies of the whip.

On one of the Morgan whips I have the handle is 7/8" in diameter, the lash right off the handle is 1", and the knob is 1.6". Sergei has posted a diagram with measurements of a Raiders whip, which you should be able to find if you search the forum.

Though, if you really want to get into whipmaking you should start out with something simpler and smaller, like a 4-plait stock whip, so you can learn the basics. An Indy-style bullwhip is actually a pretty advanced project.

-Adam, www.winrichwhips.com
Morgan Alden
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Morgan Alden »

Hi Ghost,

I hope your whip turns out great!

About the length, when I bought my David Morgan I found out that David actually made several lengths for the films, ranging from 6 feet to 16 feet. But the whip you see Indy carrying at his side is the 10 foot model 455. I have always preffered the 10 foot length anyway, so that's the one I got.

Best of luck!!
Sergei
Admin Emeritus
Location: Off the grid, in from the cold - Jack's Canyon ~1119

Post by Sergei »

whaaa....??? You really need to do the "search" function. This topic has been discussed so much. In addition, I exhaustively put a diagram together that measured in great detail everything you wanted to know about Morgan's during the 80's to present here:
viewtopic.php?t=10807&start=50

and the diagram here:

-Sergei
Morgan Alden
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Morgan Alden »

Hi Sergei,

Was your post directed to me? My statement about the 10 foot length came right from the David Morgan site:

Bullwhip, 10 ft., Natural Tan
Indiana Jones Whips
We supplied over 30 bullwhips of the 451 series for the Indiana Jones movies. These ranged in length from 6 feet to 16 feet. The standard length carried in the movies was the No. 455 10 ft. bullwhip. The other lengths were used in special stunts. All were in the natural tan color.
In addition to our whips, a child's whip made by Swayne, Adney and Brigg's was used in a scene from Indiana Jones' youth.

I'm new here, so I'm still learning all the info on the site, and I'm sure my questions have all been discussed ad nauseum, but I didn't know if your comment was for me or Ghost?

Thanks!
Sergei
Admin Emeritus
Location: Off the grid, in from the cold - Jack's Canyon ~1119

Post by Sergei »

No, Morgan Alden not directed at you. In fact you cleared things up. It's just the size of the bullwhip comes up so many times. No harm. Apologies from me.

-S
Morgan Alden
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Morgan Alden »

That's ok... thanks. No need to apologize. BTW compliments on your thorough research into the whip. I've looked over some of your other posts... impressive. I will follow a bit of your advice in using the search features. There is so much info here! And when I saw your notes in the pic, I went and pulled out my DM to compare :) Keep it up, and I'll talk to you later.

-MA
RandallFlagg
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by RandallFlagg »

Hey, Morgan.
You started this thread on Oct 03, and I was wondering how it's going thusfar in your work. Are you able to post pics of your progress?
Morgan Alden
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Morgan Alden »

Actually I didn't start this string. I joined in on November 23 with a comment about the length of whip the Harrison Ford carried at his side. I would be interested in seeing the progress on the whip being made by Ghost though. I've deconstructed and reconstructed an old 4 plait Mexican whip of mine, but I wouldn't know where to begin on a 12 plait like my David Morgan 455! Ghost? How's it coming?
RandallFlagg
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by RandallFlagg »

OH! Whoops! Sorry, Morgan.

Ghost, the above post was for you.