Just ordered Wested - question

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Walker
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Just ordered Wested - question

Post by Walker »

I just ordered a Wested ToD a couple of days ago. I requested the zipper to be on the American side. I'm assuming that they automatically reverse the storm flap as well. Is this the case or do I need to request that also?
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

Isn't that the same thing? :-k
Walker
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Walker »

I guess so :? . Seems like a stupid question on my part but I just wanted to be sure they just dont only move the zipper pull without reversing the flap as well.
GunstarBlue
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by GunstarBlue »

That's not a stupid question at all. I wouldn't have even thought of that. I've kept the zippers on the left because I don't really care that much, so I have no idea if they move the storm flap over.

I'd guess that they just flip the zipper pull and not the flap.
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Bufflehead Jones »

No, they don't reverse the storm flap. The pull tab for the zipper is behind the storm flap on the British style and it is on the side of the jacket opposite of the storm flap on the American style.

Some people say that they like the British style because it keeps the pull tab behind the storm flap and keeps it form rattling and hitting things. I personally don't think that is a problem and I got mine American style as I really didn't want it to be different from all my other jackets. If it never bothered me on all the jackets that I have worn all of my life, why would it all of a sudden bother me on my Indy jacket? The British style is more screen accurate, though.
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

Oh so that's what it means. I might get it on the British side with my next jacket.
Doug C
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Doug C »

Hey for what it's worth Walker, I thought having the British style zip would bother me but it doesn't you get used to it very quickly. I personally wouldn't want the zip pull to be exposed on the right side I don't think now.

Doug C
Bjones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bjones »

I like the British style zipper. I feel it does keep the pull from rattling around. I have that problem on one of my other coats.
Rusty Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist
Location: Raleigh, NC, Running from the Havitos (my (ex)girlfriends' parents)

Post by Rusty Jones »

at the first the British zipper was really weird but after a couple days it felt normal and now I'm ambi-zipstress...

it's just an interesting 'hey besides the left side of the road thing check this out' fact about another Country... makes my jacket feel specialer :c)

Good luck with the jacket though I may consider normal zipper if I ever ste--- lawfully earn enough dough for a second jacket... dont forget picks when its done and worst comes to worst you may be able to send it back if its not the way you want...
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Hemingway Jones »

90% of my jackets are English; mostly Wested or Barbour. I don't even realize which side the zipper is on. :wink:
It is wonderful that Wested gives us the option to choose.
Bjones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bjones »

:lol: Rusty----> "ambizipstress", "specialer". A man of unique vocabulary

Hemingway Jones wrote:90% of my jackets are English; mostly Wested or Barbour. I don't even realize which side the zipper is on. :wink:
Hemingway, how are the Barbour jackets? What's the maintenence like with the waxed cotton? I read somewhere that its a pain to "re-wax" them or that they need to be sent back to do it??
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Bjones wrote::lol: Rusty----> "ambizipstress", "specialer". A man of unique vocabulary

Hemingway Jones wrote:90% of my jackets are English; mostly Wested or Barbour. I don't even realize which side the zipper is on. :wink:
Hemingway, how are the Barbour jackets? What's the maintenence like with the waxed cotton? I read somewhere that its a pain to "re-wax" them or that they need to be sent back to do it??
I love my Barbour jackets. I hardly ever wear Goretex anymore. Who wants to wear those silly bright parkas when you can wear a beautiful waxed cotton jacket with all of the finish and depth of a leather jacket? They are comfortable, they breathe very well, and they are very well built; English craftsmanship at its finest.
As for rewaxing, Barbour North America is located in nearby New Hampshire. I sent it to them and had a few inches added to the sleeve of one of mine (the Bedale is meant for shorter people) and had it rewxed after several years, and it didn't really need it, but since it was going... I think it cost me $40 and it took three weeks. I have two Barbours, so I didn't miss it.
They sell the tins of wax that you can rub into the elbows to prolong sending it back, but it would probably take 5 years or more of heavy wear before you would actually need to rewax it.
One tip, if you want to buy one, watch who you buy it from. Some websites sell licensed Barbours made in New Zealand, still very nice, but not quite as nice as those made in Scotland. They are a little cheaper. Also, American retailers mark them up by huge margins. I bought mine in the UK, through a website whose address I would be happy to share.
I couldn't recommend Barbour more. It is my rainy day jacket for when I don't want my Wested to get wet.
Feel free to ask me any other questions about it.
:wink: :D
Bjones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bjones »

Thanks Hemingway - PM'd you for the info.
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

HJ,

I have been eyeing a Barbour for some time. Did you bring it to the QM? I am a knuclehead (or Bufflehead if you will) for not asking you while we were there.

I have seen websites for them that were in New Zealand. I may have actually ordered from one of them due to the cheaper pricing. I didn't know that they were made differently from the others. I would definitely be interested in the website that you bought yours from. If you would be so kind, go ahead and send me a PM with it.

You say that you have two Barbours. Are they both Bedales or is the other one a different model. I was looking at the Beaufort model.
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

HJ,

One more question. Sizing. Did you just order the same size as your dress suit jacket size? In other words, are they cut big to fit over other clothes or do you need to go up a size?

As far as goretex goes, it does come in handy as I have one of the very light weight LLBean rainsuits. It can even be worn comfortably in the summer on a hot rainy day. I really use the rainsuit when I am teaching the recruits how to drive and have to stand out in the rain all day.
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Bufflehead Jones wrote:HJ,

I have been eyeing a Barbour for some time. Did you bring it to the QM? I am a knuclehead (or Bufflehead if you will) for not asking you while we were there.

I have seen websites for them that were in New Zealand. I may have actually ordered from one of them due to the cheaper pricing. I didn't know that they were made differently from the others. I would definitely be interested in the website that you bought yours from. If you would be so kind, go ahead and send me a PM with it.

You say that you have two Barbours. Are they both Bedales or is the other one a different model. I was looking at the Beaufort model.

One more question. Sizing. Did you just order the same size as your dress suit jacket size? In other words, are they cut big to fit over other clothes or do you need to go up a size?

As far as goretex goes, it does come in handy as I have one of the very light weight LLBean rainsuits. It can even be worn comfortably in the summer on a hot rainy day. I really use the rainsuit when I am teaching the recruits how to drive and have to stand out in the rain all day.
Did I bring it to the QM? Yes! I did! Here I am with a 'firend' in San Francisco:
Boy, I wish I had known. Mojave tried it on.
The NZ ones have a different grade of Cordoroy on the collar and the stitching is not as precise, nor are the details inside the jacket cut with the same care: leather tabs and the like. -I compared mine side by side with someone's from NZ.
I bought all of mine from these fine folks. I have had excellent luck with them. I recently ordered a jacket and it arrived in about a week.

I have a Bedale and a Border. The Border is made for tall folks and is great for wearing as a top-coat over a suit or sport coat. It is generously sized and provides a lot of protection.

The Bedale is a shorter jacket with a tighter fit. I had to have sleeves lengthened. I'm glad I did though.
The Baeufort, I believe, is very similar to the Border.

Sizing: it depends on the jacket: The Border is cut big to fit over, the Bedale is not. I am assuming the Beafort is cut to your size, but generous, but I would email them or telephone to be sure.

And yes, I still use Gore-Tex on my more technical adventures, such as ice-climbing Damnation Gulley in Huntington Ravine, Mt. Washington.

I apologize for taking this off topic. If anyone else wants to PM me, I would welcome it. I would also say that my Wested is my favorite and my Barbour backs me up in the rain. :wink: :D