-The Morgan-

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

indy_guitarist
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

-The Morgan-

Post by indy_guitarist »

well, i can finally say it. after first being hooked on indiana jones when i was 6 years old to this day, August 23, 2002, i finally have what my inner child has been wanting for 15 years. The Bullwhip. I fianlly own a David Morgan. It's a 453 8 footer and its all i had hoped it would be. After searching for so long, i now have indy's whip. If i was any happier i'd be flying (with my whip of course). the quest is over and i can now rest, if i die today, i die a happy man. rock on.
Canasta
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Canasta »

That is such a COOOOL feeling. I know just what you mean

Congratulations!!!!

Canasta
Whipcrack
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Whipcrack »

Congratulations, if you are like me you will only be happier the more you use it. Mine is several years old and I like it more than the day I got it.

Give us your review after using it. In my opinion 8 ft. is the right length. 10's are great to carry but too long for my liking as a every day cracker.

However, it's my guess that your quest is not over. After you are fully satisfied by your whip you will wander over to the Fedora or Diary or Coat and get hooked again. I may be wrong, that day may never come but BEWARE and remember I warned you.

Enjoy
Bill Walton
indy_guitarist
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by indy_guitarist »

oh- don't worry, the entire quest is not over. jsut the bullwhip and fedora. i was lucky enough to get a great HJ that is th definitive indy hat for me. no complaints out of that, the fedora croud knows that already. when i get rich i'll probably buy another morgan 10 footer for obvious reasons. i've owned two other bullwhips by bernie and they were amazing whips, but the cosmetics were just a slight bit off from the morgan. now i am at peace. one day i'll order a raiders screen accurate one from david, big turks knot, long, thin handle. but you guys already knew all that. man, what a day. i'll post a reviews later this weekend when i've cracked it more.
Sergei
Admin Emeritus
Location: Off the grid, in from the cold - Jack's Canyon ~1119

Post by Sergei »

Congrats, IG! I know that you have been on that mission to get a Morgan for awhile. Now, you see how hard it was for me to part with one of my Morgan's. This is an important milestone and I hope you have many adventures with it. And I agree with WhipCrack, the 8 foot length is the best length. Enjoy and post your pics.

-Sergei
p.s. BTW, where did you get it? Ebay?
indy_guitarist
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by indy_guitarist »

yeah, i got it off of ebay. it was 415 and the thing is brand new. not a scratch on her. still a blonde and no stains on the white hide fall. its great.
sab04
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician
Location: now, or when you read this......what? ooooooh, Lebanon CT

Post by sab04 »

Hi,
Can you post some pics of your new morgan?
-Scott
Whipcrack
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Whipcrack »

I bid on the very same whip. I'm glad you got it. It sounds like it has found a good home.

Enjoy

Bill Walton
Morgan Alden
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Morgan Alden »

Congrats on a great whip! I absolutely love my DM 455. I've collected whips for 25 years, but there is still nothing like holding a David Morgan for the first time. :D IMHO truly the "Grail" of whips. I wear my Aldens to work every day, but unfortunately they want me leave the whip at home :wink:
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Bufflehead Jones »

David won't make a whip with the longer handle any more.
Sergei
Admin Emeritus
Location: Off the grid, in from the cold - Jack's Canyon ~1119

Post by Sergei »

Well just to clarify.... The handle is still the same foundation, an 8 inch nail spike. But rather the turks head knot on the handle has been moved in from 8 inches, which was right over the end of the 8 inch spike. He moved the knot in to about 6 5/8 inches. This causes less strain on that knot and the competing forces around the transition area from the spike end, which is the junction to the thong. If you want screen accuracy that's a slight compromise to a better performing more durable knot to the current model. Just my opinion...
-Sergei
Last edited by Sergei on Sat Nov 19, 2005 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

Congratulations, Indy guitarist. Sounds like you got yourself a great whip, at a great deal. Enjoy it.
The handle is still the same foundation, an 8 inch nail spike. But rather the turks head knot on the handle has been moved in from 8 inches, which is right over the spike. He moved the knot in to about 6 5/8 inches
I’ve also been told he is also been adding a bolster to the handle in recent years, making them appear a bit thicker then the film versions.

Dan