Whip advice

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

D. Blank
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Whip advice

Post by D. Blank »

Hello,
I'm looking to buy a 8' to 10' whip that looks correct but doesn't cost much. I plan to use it only for display purposes so I don't care if it would fall apart if I tried to crack it even once as long as it looked correct. Does anybody have any ideas?
Thanks
Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

Post by Pyroxene »

New Braunfels Leather in New Braunfels, TX has whips for around $34-60. These are rawhide swivel handle whips but do the job you are talking about. The crack pretty good, too. AZIndy and Indiana Ken got one and the are pretty good. If you need more info, let me know.

Pyro.
Ken
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Ken »

I second what Pyroxene says - the whip he got for me is excellent. I havent done much cracking of it admittidely (just in the corridor of the flats where I'm staying) but it really looks the part and at thatn price its ideal. Oh and Pyroxene is a GREAT help to deal through. Thouroughly nice chap.

Ken
D. Blank
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by D. Blank »

That sounds like that whip will do the trick, Do you have their phone number or a website? Thanks for the help.
Cooler King
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Cooler King »

Well, I got my 6' whip from Mark Allen: http://www.westernstageprops.com/Cart11.Asp and I love it. I also plan on getting an 8' soon, and I'll be buying from there for sure! DM is too pricy, I'd be up near $512 trying to get an 8 footer, while at MA it's just $325. I don't know if that's what you're looking for, but hey, there's my two cents. :D

~Aaron
RedburnIV
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by RedburnIV »

I would recommend ECWhips, even tho there has been some problems as other fans posted before, but for those prices ya cant go wrong! Jim wants to get better at his whip making skills and just wants enough money to pay for the hide. I have a 12plait 8fter and I love it!! Couldnt be happier with it! So I would try ECWhips. http://www.ecwhips.com

Regards, Dan
D. Blank
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by D. Blank »

Pyro, Do you still have the pictures that were in this thread? They don't seem to load: http://www.indygear.com/community/forum ... lt&start=0
Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

Post by Pyroxene »

D,
Sorry about that. I had to make some space. But, here is one of the pics.

The post was 3 pics. The whip, whip holder and both of them together. This particular whip, the leather is coated and has a smooth finish.

He sells the same whip in an "unfinished" leather that is not coated.

This one has "red hide" qualities to it. The red on the leather tends to get on your hands, pants and anything else it touches. It washes out, but can be annoying at times. I have no clue as to why it's done that way.

Anyway, both types are good and both cracked a lot better after I modified them slightly. I have gotten a lot of bang...er...crack for my buck. I clean it and Pecard it after every use. (Hey if I don't do it with a $40 whip, how am I going to know how to do it with a $350 whip?) I enjoy cracking them and will continue to crack them after I graduate to a more expensive one.

The best thing is, however, the average Joe doesn't know the difference between that whip and a David Morgan. :wink:

Back to business...

I haven't talked to Paul in a while. However, I don't think his prices have changed.

To quote myself
Pyroxene wrote: Here are the prices:
12 foot Whip Leather Swivel Handle: $53.90 +shipping
10 foot Whip Leather Swivel Handle: $46.92 +shipping
8 foot Whip Leather Swivel Handle: $39.80 +shipping
6 foot Whip Leather Swivel Handle: $32.91 +shipping
12 foot Whip Non-Swivel Natural Wood Handle: $62.30 +shipping
10 foot Whip Non-Swivel Natural Wood Handle: $56.00 +shipping
8 foot Whip Non-Swivel Natural Wood Handle: $44.10 +shipping
6 foot Whip Non-Swivel Natural Wood Handle: $36.90 +shipping
Poppers: $0.80/ea +shipping (12 or more: $0.40/ea +shipping)
Whip Holder: $15.00 +shipping

The Natural Wood Leather Handle whips are the only Non-Swivel whips they offer.

Before you order, I have to say this.
There have been times in the past when new vendors were alienated from onslaught of calls from IndyGear fans. Please exercise tact when dealing with any new vendor. Especially in this case as they are my "neighbors".

Here is a quote from Indiana John from the old COW for those of you who are new and perhaps missed this topic.:

It's not necessary to give out information when buying a product...you don't owe an explanation...it's a business transaction. Of course, it's not a means to be rude either...so if someone asks, then be brief and very generic--don't associate the purchase with Indiana Jones. If I heard the words "Indiana Jones" as a vendor, dollar signs would light-up for me too! So don't blurt out stuff...

In general regarding any vendors, think before you speak. The best way for this hobby to be ruined...is for someone to say something stupid, and blow it for the lot of us. It only takes one...

-John

They are:
New Braunfels Leather Co. Inc.
197 S. Seguin Ave.
P.O. Box 311506
New Braunfels, Texas 78131-1506

Office Phone: 830-625-3522
Store Phone: 830-629-0540
Toll Free: 1-800-683-1629
Fax: 830-608-1861

Hours (Central Time):
Monday - Friday: 8am - 12pm & 1pm - 5pm
Saturday - 8am - 12pm
Sunday - Closed

I recommend that you call and speak to Paul. I have been working exclusively with him. Again, these are nice people and I would put them up there with Peter and others as far as wanting to make the customer happy.

I am getting nothing out of this other than helping a local business succeed in what they enjoy doing. I am happy to give back to a great forum that has given me so much.

Pyro.
Best Regards,
Pyroxene
Last edited by Pyroxene on Fri Aug 15, 2003 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
D. Blank
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by D. Blank »

I just ordered a New Braunfels whip and holder, there prices haven't changed. As soon as I asked about the whip holder they knew it was for a Indy fan. I'll post again when I get it. Thanks for all the help!
DocIndyJones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Question About wip handels

Post by DocIndyJones »

What's the difference between swival and non-swival

-Doc
Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

Re: Question About wip handels

Post by Pyroxene »

DocIndyJones wrote:What's the difference between swival and non-swival

-Doc
Swivel, the handle turns inside the whip. Non-swivel, the handle is in one place. Swivel whips are more in the "economy" line of whips. I now use my swivel whips as a backup whip or wall decoration or costume pieces.

Pyro.