Got my Aldens! New record fast delivery time?

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

MonkeyBrains
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Got my Aldens! New record fast delivery time?

Post by MonkeyBrains »

Hi.

I just received my new Alden 405s, from the Alden shop to my front door in the UK TWO DAYS after ordering! :shock: Is that some kind of a record? They're in the exact colour shown on the Alden website for the Indy Boot, which is a relief after seeing pictures of so many pumpkin coloured pairs...

I don't know what took me more by surprise, the fact that they got here so quickly, or the fact that I had to pay £51.95 in customs charges to the UPS guy... :roll:
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Congratulations but, sheesh that's about 33% tax!

Did they charge u any sales tax in the US, you might be able to get some of that back.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

When I talked with the dear lady at the factory authorized Alden store in Washington, DC, she said that the colour of the 405 boot is currently the brown you have. They're not making them in the pumpkin colour anymore. Folks with the pumpkins on their feet either got theirs when that colour was being used, or have likely gotten a pair of "new old stock" that were on the shelves for a while. Of course, then there are those who have gooten theirs pre-owned.

That's a fantastic delivery time, though. Did they come direct from Alden, or a retailer? If direct, I'm even more impressed since I was told they've been busy doing inventory this week.

bink
MonkeyBrains
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by MonkeyBrains »

I got them from the recommended source, the San Francisco shop at aldenshop.com.

Unfortunately, it says on the site that they don't charge any US tax on the international sales, so I'm stuck with that. :cry: I was half expecting it though; any time I get an international parcel delivered by UPS they always get me for an unbelievable amount of import charges. Any other carrier and you seem to get a lot more leeway. Parcelforce once left my brother one on the doorstep that he actually owed about £30 on! :shock: 8)
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

MonkeyBrains wrote: Unfortunately, it says on the site that they don't charge any US tax on the international sales
What does it mean sorry?
I'm very interested but scared of taxes. Can't they just mark the shipping documents as "gift" like the Mr Steve Delk does with his hats???
bastoon
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by bastoon »

that a new record for sure !

erri write
I'm very interested but scared of taxes. Can't they just mark the shipping documents as "gift" like the Mr Steve Delk does with his hats???
It could work. :-k Or ask Alden if they have a tips for this kind of subject...

A good guy like you, they couldn't refuse.... :wink:
MonkeyBrains
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by MonkeyBrains »

Ok erri, you asked for this... What follows is my understanding of how these taxes work, based on my personal experience buying stuff online for the last few years (long and slightly OT post following). :wink:

What Alden mean is that they don't charge whatever the local sales tax rate may be for international orders, since your own country may have different tax rates and that way you don't have to pay sales tax twice.

However, you will still have to pay some form of tax when the package arrives in your own country, plus some other charges that the carrier makes up for the 'inconvenience' of having to get the money from you or something (unless it comes through the standard postal system and you're also lucky; with UPS packages you NEVER get away with it!) :cry:

The tax due will be based on the stated value of the item on the shipping forms; the lower the value, the less the tax, so people occasionally mark the value as being less than it is so the recipient has less to pay. There is also an allowance for people to send low value gifts to each other, without the recipient having to pay any duty (to allow for kids getting presents from relatives etc), so people sometimes mark stuff as 'Gift' on the shipping forms.

I think I read somewhere on here that Alden don't like to mark the value of stuff down or mark them as gifts. Steve can get away with 'Gift' marking easier because he's an individual and puts his own name on the packaging (rather than the company name). I'm not sure anyone at Alden would want to do that.

In order for that 'Gift' thing to exempt you from duty there's a limit on the stated value of the package (I think it's about £30 here, although you sometimes get away with a little more). This means that if you mark something as a gift, you often have to also understate its value to get the benefit. If it then gets lost in transit you can't claim back the full value from the carrier, because you only told them it was worth $20 instead of $150 (or whatever). :roll:

UPS broke down their invoice for the £51.95 as follows...
Import VAT: £22.96
Duties: £17.99
Brokerage Surcharges: £11
Of which I think the Duties and Brokerage Surcharge must be set amounts since they're such convenient numbers. Bummer.

Based on that, and assuming Alden use UPS to ship to Italy too, I think you'll be looking at a similar situation when yours arrive (although UPS may not charge quite as much over there, and your tax rate may be lower, so it might be a bit cheaper).

If you could get Alden to ship via Global Express Mail (or something other than UPS), there may be a chance that you could get away with paying less just because other services seem to slip through the import duty net more often (here in the UK at least) :?

Good luck! :wink:
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

I think that mail is sent by Global Express Mail to Italy, i received all the stuff from USA with them.

I just read how import taxes work here:

5.50 euro for documentation procedures
plus
23.5% of the declared value.

so on $275+40 (for shipping) = 262 euro i will have to pay... nearly 70 euro. #### taxes... why dont you americans join the EU???? :lol: