What to do with the MK VII bag strap?

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

goody154
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

What to do with the MK VII bag strap?

Post by goody154 »

I was wondering what to do with the canvas strap on the MK VII bag? I put a Texas Action Gear leather strap on my bag without removing the canvas strap - I just tucked it in the bag. Has anyone removed the strap? Thanks!
Indiana Williams
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: What to do with the MK VII bag strap?

Post by Indiana Williams »

goody154 wrote:I was wondering what to do with the canvas strap on the MK VII bag? I put a Texas Action Gear leather strap on my bag without removing the canvas strap - I just tucked it in the bag. Has anyone removed the strap? Thanks!
i was going to remove mine but insted i did what you did, i tucked it in the bag.most people remove them but i figured since it was the original strap from 1942, i shouldnt just simply remove it.
-Joe
StainlesSteve
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by StainlesSteve »

With my bags, I cut the stitching on the original bagstrap so that, aesthetically and structurally speaking, it is still intact should someone in the future wish to re-attach it. If you do remove the strap, I recommend doing it that way, it is simple to restitch it just as it was, but on a small level you are ruining its authenticity.
Thomas
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Thomas »

I would agree that you shouldn't simply just cut it off and toss it. Beyond being a piece of gear, the MK VII is a piece of history. I mean, really, as cool as the Indy movies are, they are fictional and the product of someone's imagination. Us collecting them is just a hobby.

The war was real, if you all get what I mean. It was a big giant deal. The bag hails back to those days and is something to be remembered.

Anyway, yeah... just tuck it in.
Baggers
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Baggers »

Feeling as I do about keeping original artifacts intact, I purchased repros from WPG (the Mk VII) and Lawrance Ordnance (a really nice repop of the Mk VI). Twenty years ago when the films were produced, original bags were as common as dirt, but these days they're getting harder to find in decent condition, and more expensive to boot. In my opinion, even carefully removing the original strap by cutting the stitching is going the diminish the collectibility -- and the price -- should you want to resell at some point in the future. That is, unless you can find another gearhead to whom to sell it. As a collector of British militaria, I know I wouldn't even consider buying a bag that been modified in such a way for my collection.

I realize that the current batch of WPG bags aren't that "happy khaki" shade that everyone prefers, but at least you can dye and distress to your heart's content safe in the knowledge that you aren't wrecking an original.

I know a lot of reenactors won't use originals in the field anymore simply because there are now so many choices in reproduction uniforms and equipment. They don't want to take the chance that they might have an accident and ruin what is, to them, a piece of history.

Cheers!
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

I didnt cut the bag strap of my MKVII because it could be always useful (and i love the original strap), it's even more comfortable than the leather strap when you carry heavy stuff in (maybe Sankara stones :lol: or a golden idol).
So i put the strap in the external pocket without cutting it or anything, if i need to use it i just take the leather strap off and take the canvas strap out of the pocket and voilàt.

regards
Indiana Snipes
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana Snipes »

Unfortunately my bag strap is so short in length that it is really uncompfortable and not that useful. I don't know if that just how they were made or what. I have it tucked in for now but am seriously thinking about cutting the stiches, since it's taking up space. It's just hard, it's like a mint condition never used MKVII from 1942. :cry:
Harrison_Davies
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Harrison_Davies »

erri_wan wrote:I didnt cut the bag strap of my MKVII because it could be always useful (and i love the original strap), it's even more comfortable than the leather strap when you carry heavy stuff in (maybe Sankara stones :lol: or a golden idol).
So i put the strap in the external pocket without cutting it or anything, if i need to use it i just take the leather strap off and take the canvas strap out of the pocket and voilàt.

regards
There's an external pocket?
Texas Raider
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Texas Raider »

Just snip the flippin' stitches! It's what you got the bag for! Indy gearing it! If you were a WWII collector it'd be a different matter, but you're an Indy gearer. Cut 'em carefully and put a leather strap on it.They're just a bag.

have a nice day.
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

Indiana Snipes wrote:Unfortunately my bag strap is so short in length that it is really uncompfortable and not that useful. I don't know if that just how they were made or what.
every bag strap can change lenght by sliding the... "slider" (buckle)
Harrison_Davies wrote: There's an external pocket?
i mean the large pocket on the front side :wink:
Last edited by Erri on Fri Oct 21, 2005 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scandinavia Jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Scandinavia Jones »

Do what feels right, goody. The Mk VII is not a priceless historical artifact. I guess you wanted to get a piece of Indygear, right? Make it Indygear. Get rid of that mildewy canvas strap by any means of your choice and get a nice leather strap for the bag.
I cut my strap and tossed it. Was not about to use it, ever.
Regarding the militaria collectors' value - in my opinion, removing the strap for safekeeping and future re-attaching still ruins the original value of the bag - unless you obtain some vintage British khaki thread for the re-attaching, and it would only be a restored original anyway.
Besides, there will always be gearheads around, in case you want to sell it some day...
Dre
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dre »

Plus i'm sure there are still plenty of the bags around. Privately owned at least - it's not as if they're some priceless 2000 year old relic or something. That being said, if i got an original i'd probably carefully undo the stiching, just incase one day i wanted to reattached it. Not for any specific collectors reason, though maybe a possible historical one but that wouldnt be a big factor.
Indiana Kev
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Kev »

If I had it to do again I would keep the web strap and just tuck it in, instead I cut it off and put on a Noel Howard strap to Indy gear it and although I don't regret cutting the strap, I probably wouldn't do it again.
JrZyBud
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by JrZyBud »

All of those that collect WWII militaria can vouch for keeping an item original. The mindset of "its just a bag, and Im sure there are many more like it" is not as true as it once was. There are others out there, but they are becoming harder and harder to find. I personally will not use original equipment in a reenactment anymore, due to the fact that there are repro's available that suit my needs and can prevent me from ruining a piece of original gear. That being said, you bought the bag, its yours. If you bought it for the purpose of "Indy Gear" then use it as Indy Gear and cut the strap if you want. Its yours so it is entirely up to you. However once you cut that strap, no matter how carefully you do it, the item loses its value to anyone but a gearhead. Most militaria collectors wouldnt be interested if the strap was cut off, no matter how carefully, even if it can be reattached later.
Feraud
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Feraud »

I say keep it tucked in the bag. You may own the bag today but it will make its way back to the public. It's importance is as a WWII era gas mask bag. There are suitable reproductions to alter.

It may not be a 2000 year old relic but it will be in approximately 1,950 years! :wink:
Ace
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Ace »

Well, I cut the stitches a long time ago on my original W&G MKVII and I don't see what the fuss is about. The original strap can be put back on any day so good that even a militaria collector wont notice it was part of an Indygear collection :-)

Ace
bastoon
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by bastoon »

goody154 write
I was wondering what to do with the canvas strap on the MK VII bag?
des jarretelles ! :P
JrZyBud
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by JrZyBud »

Sorry, hate to do this, but its actually 1,940 years . . . WWII was 60 years ago and Ace there are people on this board who can pick out the smallest discrepencies on a leather jacket they saw in a movie . . . Imagine what a dedicated militaria collector can do. Believe me, once a strap has been removed people will notice. Again, Im saying its personal choice. I have one original bag that is modified to look Indy and about 4 or 5 originals that I keep in my military collection. Its your bag, do what you want with it.
Spooky
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Spooky »

Too late for mine.
I got my TAG Strap and cut it off immediately.
Oh well ... :-k
I'm not planning on selling it anyway - ever.
All this talk about the potential value of these bags ... I can't get Belloq's 'ten dollar' speech out my head ...
"... but I take it, I bury it in the sand for a thousand years, it becomes priceless. Like the Ark."
I do understand the rationale for storing it inside the bag - but personally I would just rather store more useful items in it for my adventures.

Best Regards,
Texas Raider
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Texas Raider »

Well said, Spooky. I used to think the 'collector rationale' about things until one day it just dawned on me "What the heck do we keep these things perfect for?!" It just ends up we die and didn't even get to enjoy it. Somebody else does, and they just use it for what it was designed, and you missed out. I've seen this happen first hand! You kept it nice for them ,anyway. If it is something like the Constitution of the United States or some ancient relic(which was used as it was designed originally, they more than likely didn't say "Let's keep this ceramic pot nice and new, so when they find it in 2000 years, it'll still look good!") then I can see protecting it. But these are just mass produced gas mask bags, not a whole lot of real value, only artificially risen because of Indiana Jones. If it hadn't been for these movies, they would still be only a few bucks 60 YEARS LATER, just like other 'massed produced' WWII items, only worth a few bucks. A few years from now, they'll have the same value that Beanie Babies have now! Oh sure, you might find that one materialistic collector that wants to pay out the nose for one, but the chances are slim at best!

ENJOY THE DANG BAG!! You got it to emulate Indy, he had a leather strap! Use the space inside to store STUFF! Not the strap! Get another one to emulate the guy from "The Bourne Supremacy" and keep the web strap on it!

If you are gonna keep it pristine for the 'NEXT COLLECTOR" you might as well not even get one and let them have them right now!

"Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal" Matt. 6;19

OF COURSE , this is just my opinion, others may vary,use only in a well ventilated area, use eye/ear protection, do not concentrate and inhale contents- warning may contain peanuts

have a nice day.
Last edited by Texas Raider on Sat Oct 22, 2005 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel
Location: DBSSWWD ~ "This is how we say goodbye to MIMES in Germany!"

Post by Indiana Jerry »

Texas Raider wrote:warning may contain peanuts
Well, NUTS, anyway. ;) (Yes, I'm kidding.)

(But you should be concerned that I'm agreeing with you more and more often. :roll: )
Don't Call Me Junior
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Don't Call Me Junior »

I agree with everything that's been said but I'll give my advice as well. I do think that you should do what you feel is right, whether it's keep the strap or not. Personally, I own 2 MkVIIs and cut the strap off of both. I used my swiss army knife (in a MacGyver moment) to slice through the stitches and it did a very clean job. I then put the straps in a freezer bag and put it away for storage (not in the freezer). Personally I think the bag has more value as an Indy bag and I don't plan on ever putting the original straps back on. But I was careful in taking them off and saved them because who knows, they could make a remake of Battle Of The Bulge and we might see a huge spike in the price of original MkVIIs!
JrZyBud
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by JrZyBud »

Texas Raider, the value of these bags has definately gone up due to Indiana Jones, but WWII items are becoming quite expensive. The days of walking into a military store and picking up web belts and haversacks for $20 have long since passed. These items are rising in value considerably. I've been collecting WWII militaria for about 2 years now and the price increase in that time period has been staggering. High quality items are being snatched up like they are going out of style because they are. Its a very high priced market, and one where prices will not be going down any time soon.

But that doesnt mean that I don't abuse the heck outta my bag, and yes I did cut the strap off . . .