Fedora protection and care .....

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Modern Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist
Location: Currently being torn in 20 directions, at once! (As usual ....)

Fedora protection and care .....

Post by Modern Jones »

"How" or "what" does everyone do to protect your fedoras?

ScotchGuard, etc.?

Just curious, even though our gear for some of us willl be come distressed naturally.

IndySkip
Indiana_Nate
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana_Nate »

I'm hoping for the old, "naturally distressed" look myself. But, while I was shopping for a felt brush and a hat jack on the David Morgan website the other day I came across a small "hat care" section. It stated that hats in general, his specifically, are made to be worn and shouldn't be averse to rain and sun wear. There were a few tips that were offered. After exposure to rain (light or severe) the hat should be dried by placing it upside down on it's crown in a room temperature environment. Any exposure to heat will shrink the leather and the felt, this includes the sun. If left in the sun upsidedown, the leather band will shrink. I think that's all it said. Just thought it might be some helpful info to pass along :D

Regards,

Indy Nate
INDIANA_7
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by INDIANA_7 »

I currently treat my fedora's with scotch guard heavy weight outdoor protection, a vintage fur felt brush that looks more like plastic mesh sponge and every now and then a wipe with a damp cloth. :D

Best regards,
INDIANA_7
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

I use the Scout water/stain repellant. I believe in it, especially when you are trying to take care of an Optimo, or any other high end fedora. Everytime a hat gets soaked, it is gonna shrink somewhat, although the shrinkage may not be noticable. It is the nature of the felt. My way of thinking says that anything that can be done to alleviate this is worth the time and trouble. regards, Fedora
Bushman
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Bushman »

The felt "cone" a hat is made from is huge before factory shrinking. Think Gandalf's hat in LOTR. Before forming, it is shrunk down to a size a bit larger than the finished hat. It would take an awful lot to shrink a hat with rain water. (Now, leaving your lid in the back window of your auto or truck is another story! :wink: That will indeed mess up the leather sweatband.) Remember, tapering is the hat reverting to the "cone" shape.

You would think somebody at Akubra would make some Gandalf lids. They would probably sell like frozen daiquiris in ####!

Bushman
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Hmmm. Maybe it's just my hats, but every hat, like my work hats, that I wear each and every day eventually shrink on the topmost crown so that the hat tapers. My Campdraft has tapered to the point that I have retired it. My regular Fed, took its place and it is starting to show a bit of taper on the top as well. Of course, you must remember that these hats are on my head around 12 hours each day. I don't have this problem with the rest of my tribe, as I rotate them. I don't wear the same one two days in a row, and generally they are not subjected to rain, etc. regards Fedora
Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

Post by Pyroxene »

Renderking Fisk wrote: ... I busted out the crown,
Hey, can you describe this technique to me? I have heard other people say that before.

Thanks,
Pyro.
Forrestal
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Forrestal »

So O.K. ; back to the subject.... Is Scotchguard O.K. to use on a good fur felt hat? I can't find Scout rain/stain in town. So scotchguard maybe my only choice.
Regards,
Forrestal
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Yep, it is safe. Fedora
JPdesign
Vendor

Post by JPdesign »

Gandalf's hat was made from flat sheets of felt and sewn together. It wasn't formed on a block or shaped from a cone. I am currently working on a pattern.
Modern Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Modern Jones »

Interesting points! Being "new" to the fedora-owning world, I'm torn between having my fed get worn or keeping it looking as good as I bought it. (dresshat or Cairo-worn)
Renderking Fisk
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Renderking Fisk »

Fedora wrote:Everytime a hat gets soaked, it is gonna shrink somewhat, although the shrinkage may not be noticable. It is the nature of the felt.
After the awesome snow/rain/ice storm that hammered New England, my Reg Akubra was soaked through to the lining. I busted out the crown, let it dry a bit and re-pinched and re-dented it. I've compaired the fed the way it is to the way it was and I don't see any new taper. I'm very happy.
Modern Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Modern Jones »

Hey Renderking! I was out in that too! My Fed held up great, (although not completely soaked like yours) but that's what prompted this thread to begin with.

Some people would baby their hats (Optimo, yikes!), while others might keep theirs in pristine condition.

IndySkip
Cooler King
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Cooler King »

Protection, who needs protection!? :mrgreen:

I've only had my PB for a few weeks, but it's aready loosing the stiffness, which is good, feels more like Indy's now. It's a great hat, and built like a tank. I suberdged it on the bath tub and it didn't even loose its shape! Got it wet twice in the rain, and it's still lookin good. I don't think it really needs any protection, IMHO.